Is it all on Sanchez now?

slats

I hope so.

I had this as a make or break year for Sanchez as it was. Jets have always leaned heavily on their defense, and basically asked their offense not to screw up. Now they need their offense to not only hold onto the football, but to hold onto it across the goal line. Often.

I like the extra pressure on the QB. He's performed well in the playoffs with pressure on him, maybe he games up better with added pressure in the regular season. Obviously, I hope so. This has the potential to be his time. He either grows into the job right now, or he wilts like the delicate flower his detractors say he ultimately is.

I'm rooting for him.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope so.

I had this as a make or break year for Sanchez as it was. Jets have always leaned heavily on their defense, and basically asked their offense not to screw up. Now they need their offense to not only hold onto the football, but to hold onto it across the goal line. Often.

I like the extra pressure on the QB. He's performed well in the playoffs with pressure on him, maybe he games up better with added pressure in the regular season. Obviously, I hope so. This has the potential to be his time. He either grows into the job right now, or he wilts like the delicate flower his detractors say he ultimately is.

I'm rooting for him.

I'm rooting for him too.

Its always been on Sanchez. This injury doesnt change that. The Defense sucks with Revis and teams have been winning SB's for a long time without his caliber talent at CB. Most teams dont have someone as good as Cro in their entire secondary.

Now he has to be the best player on the team. It was too much to ask when Revis was in the line up...but now, there's no excuses because the rest of the team sucks donkey balls.

Its always been on Sanchez. This injury doesnt change that. The Defense sucks with Revis and teams have been winning SB's for a long time without his caliber talent at CB. Most teams dont have someone as good as Cro in their entire secondary.

Now he has to be the best player on the team. It was too much to ask when Revis was in the line up...but now, there's no excuses because the rest of the team sucks donkey balls.

In certain parts of the world donkey balls are a delicacy. GO JETS

Yes I said earlier we have to completely change our team philosophy. Our D cannot be counted on to save us without Revis. Our offense will have to actually look like a 2012 NFL offense, that means spreading the field. Now will it work with Sanchez? Who knows, but now is the time to try and if Sanchez does not step up to the plate we will be looking for a new QB in 2013. Also I believe Rex will have to prove that he is a good NFL coach and show he can adjust. If he continues to try to "ground & pound" and not adjust on the defensive side we will get embarrassed every week and Rex will show that he should not be anything more than a defensive cord.

While it should've always been on Sanchez, I think the defense has been a crutch for him his entire career. The Revis injury kicks that crutch out from under him.

I hope so.

I'm rooting for him.

Agree with all of this but unfortunately I have very little confidence this actually happens. It might not happen right away, as it's possible, especially with an opponent like the 49ers coming up, that the Jets actually get more conservative on offense thinking it can help keep pressure off of the D. Even if so, sooner or later it's going to end up on Sanchez's shoulders to go out there and score some points, and I'm not sure if he'll be able to step up. If I had to guess, this will still be Sanchez's team through the end of the year with, in all likelihood, the Jets searching for a new QB come draft time (particularly if the Jets find themselves sporting a new GM, which is certainly possible if this season becomes a flop). Sanchez will then get his one last chance to prove himself to start off next season (like Brees circa 2004, although I promise you I'm not comparing them whatsoever as players).

Our offense will have to actually look like a 2012 NFL offense, that means spreading the field. Now will it work with Sanchez? Who knows

Considering they threw the ball 45 times yesterday, I think we have a pretty good idea of what that would look like. The pass protection is good, Holmes and Kerley are good, Hill can't catch, Sanchez is awful. That's pretty much where we stand.

We cant run the ball, so they might as well just throw it all over the lot and hope the defense can create turnovers. If Sanchez crashed and burns, we move on.

This is my feeling exactly. Time to get the answer to the ultimate question. They weren't going to find out grounding & pounding, anyway. It was always going to be an incomplete.

I love the added pressure on him. Absolutely love it.

This is my feeling exactly. Time to get the answer to the ultimate question. They weren't going to find out grounding & pounding, anyway. It was always going to be an incomplete.

I love the added pressure on him. Absolutely love it.

Problem is, I dont know if he does.

I hope so.

I'm rooting for him.

Nice post. Agree with this entirely. The defense has propped him up long enough. Rex will do well to get this defense in the top half of the league statistically without Revis. It also forces Sanchez to step up the leadership. He is still inconsistent as anything I've seen. The non-verbals in the first half yesterday looked like he wanted to be anywhere but there. He showed a little fire in the fourth but for most of the game his attitude reverted to the stuff we've seen in previous seasons. Time to step up or move out. Hope he's ready.

Considering they threw the ball 45 times yesterday, I think we have a pretty good idea of what that would look like. The pass protection is good, Holmes and Kerley are good, Hill can't catch, Sanchez is awful. That's pretty much where we stand.

Yes but what drives me crazy is half our passes came off of play action. This would be fine if our running game was a threat. I distinctly remember a 3 & 8 and we ran playaction...who are we fooling. What I say is go into shotgun and spread the field. Our oline is better in pass protection anyway

Personally I think the Revis injury will be something that Sanchez defenders will use as another reason as to why Sanchez was never set up to succeed or something.

Haha...this was about to be my response to Slats.

Its just another built in excuse when the season's over and Sanchez has shown no progression.

Personally I think the Revis injury will be something that Sanchez defenders will use as another reason as to why Sanchez was never set up to succeed or something.

They could have done more to help him but his attitude has been so lacking its actually the number one reason holding him back. Any argument from the Revis injury just doesn't hold water IMO.

Haha...this was about to be my response to Slats.

Its just another built in excuse when the season's over and Sanchez has shown no progression.

Ultimately I cannot stand the argument of WINS. I've never sat here and talked about blaming losses on Sanchez. I've only ever read the #'s and seen no significant indicators of futuregreatness. Throw in the facts that if you look over the numbers of other units on this team during his tenure, you'd have to assume if the offense, specifically the passing offense was better, we'd be more formidable to other teams.

But, WINS.

Problem is, I dont know if he does.

If he doesn't, then he's not the man for the job.

There will always be a small minority who's opinion will be referred to as all of JN.

I sure hope so. The silver lining to the Revis injury and the resultant bed-sh*tting is that it just might be enough to rid us of Sanchez and Tannenbaum.

One way or the other. If Sanchez grows up before our eyes, great! If he doesn't, then they know they need to do something out it once and for all.

Yes but what drives me crazy is half our passes came off of play action. This would be fine if our running game was a threat. I distinctly remember a 3 & 8 and we ran playaction...who are we fooling. What I say is go into shotgun and spread the field. Our oline is better in pass protection anyway

I don't think the line is all that terrible in run blocking either. Certainly not what they were 2-3 years ago when they were running on 10 man fronts, but they are decent. The problem is that they're not good enough to compensate for the other team ignoring Sanchez. That miss to Schillens was why we can't have nice things in a nutshell. One on one look for the offense, the receiver wins, Sanchez blows it. Sadness ensues.

They could have done more to help him but his attitude has been so lacking its actually the number one reason holding him back. Any argument from the Revis injury just doesn't hold water IMO.

I'm not personally big on those non-measurable factors but this is the one I tend to find myself wondering about. I mean sh*t, I see his mopey attitude from my couch. QB is supposed to be the head of his unit right? Not sure how someone with that kind of personality can command the respect that some other guys in the league due. You kind of have to be a dickhead to be a good QB no? I'm just rambling now but back to the whole Revis thing- I can see how the defense taking a turn into THE AVERAGE of the NFL will somehow make it impossible for Sanchez to win games.

I don't think they'd do that because they never used the defense as an excuse. The crappy RB, turnstyle RT, craphands receivers, Pscho, and bad playcalling, yeah. But not the D.

Ultimately, it may be a W-L issue, because the haters will be on the other side which will be wonderfully ironic.

Sanchez sells his sould to the devil and leads the office on a string of 30+ point scoring games, but they're like 2-5 in that stretch and then the haters will say it's all about W-L, flipping it around on the Sanchez defenders.

Bottom line is this. GROUND and POUND is dead. It was dead the minute that the ACL tore. There is no chance they continue on with G&D...it has not been effective, the D is leaking RUN yards like a sieve and without Revis, the D is only going to get worse. Now is the time to unwrap Sanchez and let him fling the ball around...at best we let him lead us to the playoffs, at worst we discover that he is not the answer at QB and we get a high draft pick next year to choose ur new QB....either way the season now rests completely on his shoulders. As a Jets fan I will be rooting for him...

I don't think they'd do that because they never used the defense as an excuse. The crappy RB, turnstyle RT, craphands receivers, Pscho, and bad playcalling, yeah. But not the D.

Ultimately, it may be a W-L issue, because the haters will be on the other side which will be wonderfully ironic.

Sanchez sells his sould to the devil and leads the office on a string of 30+ point scoring games, but they're like 2-5 in that stretch and then the haters will say it's all about W-L, flipping it around on the Sanchez defenders.

Let's talk hypothetically. I consider myself a hater. If Sanchez say goes 2-5 in this stretch but puts up #'s like 23-38 290 yards 2td 1int ON THE REG then I'm going to shut the **** up. It's the fact that he has a game like that, then goes and drops 2 sub 50% completion % games that just screams to me this kid can't get the job done on a consistent basis. IF he did that for a 7 game stretch I'd finally start believing in Sanchez again. But you cannot find any stretch like that in his career.

I think it's unreasonable to ask a defense to consistently hold teams sub 20 points in this league now. I also think it's unreasonable to ask a QB to score +30 every game. So if Sanchez is ON OFFENSE ALONE getting this team set up for 24-30 points a game I can't imagine too many folks that would complain.

Bottom line is this. GROUND and POUND is dead. It was dead the minute that the ACL tore. There is no chance they continue on with G&D...it has not been effective, the D is leaking RUN yards like a sieve and without Revis, the D is only going to get worse. Now is the time to unwrap Sanchez and let him fling the ball around...at best we let him lead us to the playoffs, at worst we discover that he is not the answer at QB and we get a high draft pick next year to choose ur new QB....either way the season now rests completely on his shoulders. As a Jets fan I will be rooting for him...

Ground and Pound is a myth. The Jets have attempted more passes than runs. It just lip service that I dont think Rex believes its a winning philosophy.

And the thought that this season rested on the health of a CB is ridiculous. The Pats were rolling Julian Edelman as a CB last year and went to the SB.

Can anyone even name me the starting corners for last year's SB champs?

The season is and always was on Sanchez. This injury doesnt change that one bit. The defense sucks even with his greatness back there.

Archived