Are the Jets running out of patience in Shonn Greene?

Ryno the Jet

Are the Jets running out of patience in Shonn Greene?

By Dan Hanzus Published: Sept. 24, 2012 at 02:55 p.m.

The New York Jets built their blueprint for success in 2012 around the potential of Shonn Greene and the return of "ground and pound."

With Greene struggling through three weeks, Rex Ryan acknowledged "it's possible" Bilal Powell and Joe McKnight could see more touches.

"That's certainly a possibility that we'll look into," Ryan said on Monday, via the New York Daily News. "We'll look at anything that will help our team. Has that been discussed? No."

Powell, a fourth-round pick in the 2011 draft, had a season-high 10 carries in Sunday's 23-20 win over the Miami Dolphins. Greene has 57 rushes for 157 yards, an average of 2.8 yards per carry. Last season, Greene gained a career-high 1,054 yards on 4.2 yards per carry.

"Well we'd like to get him going more," said Ryan. "Without question we'd like to see him get that average up around 4 yards per carry."

The struggles to move the ball on the ground go beyond just one player. The Jets' offensive line simply is not as good as it was in Ryan's early years with the team. With the San Francisco 49ers on tap, don't expect a coming-out party for Greene next Sunday at the Meadowlands.

More passing, more Powell.

Bilal has three catches for 40 yards, while Shonn has two catches for 9. Powell is averaging 4 ypc to Greene's 2.8. I don't understand how there can even be any question who they need to have in there more.

To their credit, and something we never saw with Schottenheimer, I liked seeing Greene and Powell on the field together. More of that, and a lot less of Tebow and Sanchez on the field together would be good.

Bilal has three catches for 40 yards, while Shonn has two catches for 9. Powell is averaging 4 ypc to Greene's 2.8. I don't understand how there can even be any question who they need to have in there more.

To their credit, and something we never saw with Schottenheimer, I liked seeing Greene and Powell on the field together. More of that, and a lot less of Tebow and Sanchez on the field together would be good.

I never want to see Tebow on the field as a down field target ever again. He has zero awareness catching the ball.

See, the problem lies with trying too hard to make it work. It's the definition of crazy - doing the exact same thing over and over and expecting different results. What happened with the Giants the other night. Brought in two guys nobody's ever heard of and they made the most of the opportunity. Now, let's see if they can sustain it, but I sure like the idea of giving some other RBs an opportunity to shine.

See, the problem lies with trying too hard to make it work. It's the definition of crazy - doing the exact same thing over and over and expecting different results. What happened with the Giants the other night. Brought in two guys nobody's ever heard of and they made the most of the opportunity. Now, let's see if they can sustain it, but I sure like the idea of giving some other RBs an opportunity to shine.

No. that was about the giants not having incompetent morons in charge of their personnel and having something called DEPTH. The have 3 RB's better than any of the swill the Jets are throwing out there and probably 6 WR's too.

I thought you liked Greene

Liked him? No. I used to defend him from the stand point that he's an adequate RB. I believe I was wrong about that and chose to change my position. He sucks and I'd love to never see him take a snap again.

I've always like Powell more too.

you would think this is a no brainer for the Jets to Feature Powell and use Greene in the 4th Quarter with a lead to shut down games. But this is the Jets we're talking about and its Rex ( I dont know WTF is going on with the offense) Ryan.

Even though Powell and McKnight show more life than Greene, they look nowhere near as quick as other non-power backs around the league. We just look so slow on both sides of the ball. Compared to watching the Pats and Ravens last night, the Jet's look like the field was knee deep in molasses.

I'm running out of patience with Shonn Greene. Does that count?

By my count, Greene had 73 carries for 12 yards, and Powell had 15 carries for 45.

Haha, close, but here are the actual stats from yesterday:

Powell 12 touches for 69 yds (5.75 YPT)

Greene 21 touches for 49 yds (2.33 YPT)

Greene won't be starting much longer. Powell has upstaged him in every game thus far.

Injury prone and crumbles like rag doll when he gets breathed on. His strong suit is the fourth quarter when everyone is tired. Let Powell get some touches and McKnight too. I think Joe is phenomenal at bursting up the middle with his speed. He is the freaking kick returned for christ sake the guy has a knack for hitting the gap.

The bold and also the rest of the post.

Greene is fine as long as there's another competent RB on the roster, which is true of pretty much every RB situation in the league.

Even though Powell and McKnight show more life than Greene, they look nowhere near as quick as other non-power backs around the league. We just look so slow on both sides of the ball. Compared to watching the Pats and Ravens last night, the Jet's look like the field was knee deep in molasses.

Rookie 6th rd pick Alfred Morris has more talent than the Jets entire roster of RB's. Whoever is scouting college RB's for the Jets is woeful.

Archived