Revis 2013 and beyond...

Integrity28

Darrelle Revis - DB - Jets

Per terms of his contract, the Jets can't use the franchise tag on Darrelle Revis (injured reserve, knee) when his contract is up after the 2013 season.

Now that Revis has a torn ACL, the Jets are unlikely to negotiate an extension with him before next season. That means he's expected to hit unrestricted free agency in the spring of 2013. Revis, who turns 28 in July, will have to prove the health of his knee before breaking the bank. If he can't, this injury probably cost him somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 million guaranteed.

Interesting.

I think that Rex losing his favorite toy forces him to prematurely build a stout defense without Revis, and thus better positions the Jets in negotiations with him. If he prices himself too high, let him go - and take the compensatory picks and keep building the whole team, rather than focusing on the one-man team.

I can't say I blame Revis for the hold out, looking at how much money a guy of his value loses from one injury. Damn.

the league is all about replaceable parts. pretty much the only position you need a dominant player is QB. everywhere else you can find another someone else to fill in and do an adequate job. If Revis leaves... oh well... next guy up.

My biggest problem is I dont think the Jets do enough to make sure we have enough competent backups. maybe rex needs to spend more time working the backups in practice to make sure they are ready to step in when called upon

Interesting.

I think that Rex losing his favorite toy forces him to prematurely build a stout defense without Revis, and thus better positions the Jets in negotiations with him. If he prices himself too high, let him go - and take the compensatory picks and keep building the whole team, rather than focusing on the one-man team.

I can't say I blame Revis for the hold out, looking at how much money a guy of his value loses from one injury. Damn.

What Rex hopes to do, and how things actually work out could be very different things. If this defense seriously regresses without Revis, Revis won't be losing too much money. This is a competitive guy who's going to work very hard to get right back to his former self, and will probably be studying his next year opponents shortly after his surgery. Sucks for the Jets, but its fortunate for Revis that if he had to have this injury, that he had it early.

If Revis signs elsewhere in early 2014, the Jets get a single pick at the end of the third round in 2015. Hardly compensatory.

I suspect Revis will be demonstrating his value via his absence this year, and again on the field in 2013. If that's the case, the Jets will be best served spending 2013 trying to sign him to an extension. One that's certain to be very expensive.

What Rex hopes to do, and how things actually work out could be very different things. If this defense seriously regresses without Revis, Revis won't be losing too much money. This is a competitive guy who's going to work very hard to get right back to his former self, and will probably be studying his next year opponents shortly after his surgery. Sucks for the Jets, but its fortunate for Revis that if he had to have this injury, that he had it early.

If Revis signs elsewhere in early 2014, the Jets get a single pick at the end of the third round in 2015. Hardly compensatory.

I suspect Revis will be demonstrating his value via his absence this year, and again on the field in 2013. If that's the case, the Jets will be best served spending 2013 trying to sign him to an extension. One that's certain to be very expensive.

MID-ROUND PICKS ARE EXACTLY WHAT THIS TEAM NEEDS!!!!

The Jets have never been opposed to negotiating during the season, so I expect midway through the 2013 season, after he's proven he's healthy, they'll make at LEAST preliminary attempts to hammer out a deal.

I doubt we let him go. CB may not be a position worth investing the kind of coin we've had to, but at the same time, there's only maybe 2 special talents at the CB position who can shut down their man (Patrick Peterson perhaps being the other one). Everyone else in the NFL gets burned far more than once in a blue moon.

I'm sure if the Jets are all that concerned about losing Revis, they can find a way to work around this. Perhaps work out a deal that's an extension with his bonus not hitting until the start of the 2014 league year, giving Revis the opportunity to still get his big payday at the same time he would if he simply played out his contract while giving the Jets an opportunity to see Revis play again before being locked into a new contract for many more years.

The best thing about compensatory picks is that the rules say Tannenbaum's not allowed to trade them.

Kind of wish we could.

6th round, # 202: RB Terrence Ganaway (cut)

6th round, # 203: OT Robert Griffin (cut)

7th round, # 242: S Antonio Allen (practice squad)

7th round, # 244: WR Jordan White (practice squad)

Wait, confused... it says he is hitting unrestricted free agency spring of 2013. Thats before this upcoming next season. So don't we have to take care of him basically sometime between now and the end of the season? Everyone is talking like that we have him next season.

You're confused becaus he doesn't hit unrestricted free agency until the spring of 2014. They are saying his last year is 2013 and if they don't extend him next spring he'll likely walk after the season.

Personally, I say let him walk. Now we can see how well Rex can coach.

8-8 with Revis. Let's see how they are without him.

You're confused becaus he doesn't hit unrestricted free agency until the spring of 2014. They are saying his last year is 2013 and if they don't extend him next spring he'll likely walk after the season.

Personally, I say let him walk. Now we can see how well Rex can coach.

8-8 with Revis. Let's see how they are without him.

Thanks. The article posted says he is expected to hit unrestricted free agency in spring of 2013. Appreciate the clarification.

Thanks. The article posted says he is expected to hit unrestricted free agency in spring of 2013. Appreciate the clarification.

The funny thing is if you look at it, the first part says his contract is up after the 2013 season, and then it says he hits free agency in spring 2013. That's some top notch writing there.

They aren't. They're ruling out an extension coming this offseason.

But they're saying he's expected to hit UFA, which is the same thing.

I think if he comes back in 2013 and plays well enough, you can sign him somewhat cheaper and maybe both sides would be happy with that. It's a game of chicken, really. Revis is going to want to hold out for UFA but now that he knows he's mortal he will have to choose between playing for the big pay day (and potentially getting little if anything) and grabbing some security while he can.

No, the article is not quite clear enough about this. He becomes a free agent AFTER the 2013 season, not before. So they're saying no negotiations after the 2012 season, but they say nothing about negotiating midseason in 2013.

No, the article is not quite clear enough about this. He becomes a free agent AFTER the 2013 season, not before. So they're saying no negotiations after the 2012 season, but they say nothing about negotiating midseason in 2013.

"That means he's expected to hit unrestricted free agency in the spring of 2013. "

They really meant 2014. Point being, if he hits UFA, it's because we didn't work out a deal with him during the 2013 season.

Ha. Seriously though, getting a 3rd and saving all that money might not be such a bad thing.

As long as that money is used to pay a QB who can come here and win, while also looking flawless every week and giving us no body language or incompletions to over-react to.

I think if he comes back in 2013 and plays well enough, you can sign him somewhat cheaper and maybe both sides would be happy with that. It's a game of chicken, really. Revis is going to want to hold out for UFA but now that he knows he's mortal he will have to choose between playing for the big pay day (and potentially getting little if anything) and grabbing some security while he can.

Was he friendly with Leon's wife?

We're talking about Revis here, right? Darrelle Revis?

The big problem with waiting until the 2013 season is that Revis might feel he's close enough to UFA to really want to give it a shot. He has demonstrated something of a desire to get paid in the past.

The funny thing is if you look at it, the first part says his contract is up after the 2013 season, and then it says he hits free agency in spring 2013. That's some top notch writing there.

Seriously. Beyond stupid. Its like anyone with a keyboard is allowed to write whatever they want now. Oh wait...

the league is all about replaceable parts. pretty much the only position you need a dominant player is QB. everywhere else you can find another someone else to fill in and do an adequate job. If Revis leaves... oh well... next guy up.

My biggest problem is I dont think the Jets do enough to make sure we have enough competent backups. maybe rex needs to spend more time working the backups in practice to make sure they are ready to step in when called upon

Couldn't agree more.

FINALLY ... We agree on something 'bro! :cheers:

It would be nice if he came back to a team that now featured its QB as its main star. It would be interesting to see how that went over.

That would be cool, but I don't think we're going to have a high enough draft pick to take Matt Barkley. Is there a star QB that we can snag with a mid-late 1st round pick next year?

I think he deserves to be paid. He is elite, and he is our drafted talent. Lets finally have a dude we can call our own from start to finish.

I partially agree. If it comes down to paying Revis or an established veteran QB we know won't fall to pieces here, then I'd make the QB priority #1. Revis is elite, but his financial demands are going to leave whatever team is paying him a bit hamstrung.

I'm all about keeping him IF we can put money into QB and OL too.

Look at the make-up of this team. DL and secondary don't need immediate attention. LBers need upgrading across the board, but good LBers can be found outside the first round of the draft, in fact they should be. This team needs to invest in that OL and QB, everything else will fall in line behind it ... literally and figuratively.

Archived