I hate to say it, but Chad > Mark

greeniemeanie

Chad Penington was no world beater, but damn... Mark really just doesn't have the backbone to play in this league. I have never seen a poorer performance, more consistently, than what Sanchez puts out there.

This season is lost. I just hope that things get better in the near future. When does hoops season start again?

Chad Penington was no world beater, but damn... Mark really just doesn't have the backbone to play in this league. I have never seen a poorer performance, more consistently, than what Sanchez puts out there.

This season is lost. I just hope that things get better in the near future. When does hoops season start again?

Don't agree with that. They both suck, but at least Mark has won in the 4th quarter and won in the playoffs on the road yet.

Mark Sanchez is a draft mistake and we cant take it back.

The way you take it back is to not guarantee him 2 more years in f***ing March right after he was a major contributor to the prior sh*t season.

The Jets FO is and has been all-concerned with a 4th year player's egotism. Never once considering that if he's that fragile upstairs then he isn't a starting QB.

The way you take it back is to not guarantee him 2 more years in f***ing March right after he was a major contributor to the prior sh*t season.

The Jets FO is and has been all-concerned with a 4th year player's egotism. Never once considering that if he's that fragile upstairs then he isn't a starting QB.

Totally correct. Good news is Tanny, Rex, Sanchez and Tebow will be former Jets after our season ends after week 17's game.

Totally correct. Good news is Tanny, Rex, Sanchez and Tebow will be former Jets after our season ends after week 17's game.

If only.

Sanchez is 100% going to be on the Jets, making starting QB money, in 2013. That is why (like others) I was so apoplectic when they gave him the extension, as well as with the fans who suggest he "deserves" 2 more years. He deserved to be cut (or forced into a real competition with a real QB) this past offseason, not rewarded.

They aren't cutting him because it's cheaper to keep him and they already have cap issues as it is. They aren't trading him because, with that contract, he has no trade value. No one's going to want to pick up a new $10M in guaranteed money to the worst QB in the league.

Tannenbaum is iffy. Or at least someone else will (or should) be brought in and MT just manages the cap.

Rex and Sanchez and Tebow will still be here next year.

If only.

Sanchez is 100% going to be on the Jets, making starting QB money, in 2013. That is why (like others) I was so apoplectic when they gave him the extension, as well as with the fans who suggest he "deserves" 2 more years. He deserved to be cut (or forced into a real competition with a real QB) this past offseason, not rewarded.

They aren't cutting him because it's cheaper to keep him and they already have cap issues as it is. They aren't trading him because, with that contract, he has no trade value. No one's going to want to pick up a new $10M in guaranteed money to the worst QB in the league.

Tannenbaum is iffy. Or at least someone else will (or should) be brought in and MT just manages the cap.

Rex and Sanchez and Tebow will still be here next year.

I dont know how Tanny is "iffy" with everything you just mentioned above. Also, didnt this extension allow space for the Jets to actually cut Sanchez? I heard that there was some type of clause in the extension that offered him a couple million more but allowed for the Jets to cut him clean if it in fact didnt work out

I dont know how Tanny is "iffy" with everything you just mentioned above. Also, didnt this extension allow space for the Jets to actually cut Sanchez? I heard that there was some type of clause in the extension that offered him a couple million more but allowed for the Jets to cut him clean if it in fact didnt work out

I never heard that. That's what guaranteeing the first 2 years of a new deal does. It guarantees them. If they cut him they still need to pay him and therefore it still hits the cap. In addition to that, spread-out money from his signing bonus wouldn't be spread out anymore: it would all accelerate to next year's cap.

They can probably spread out his hit over 2 years but they'd still be hamstrung from using that cap space until June. They'd be better off taking the hit in one lump sum.

If Tannenbaum is still here they won't do that. If Sanchez is gone so is Tannenbaum. For whatever reason, Woody likes Tannenbaum a lot. I think he respects his knowledge of the cap, but that's really a bad reason to have someone perform GM duties. And the truth is you can bring any half-wit accountant in and "master" the salary cap almost immediately. It isn't that complicated if that's your full time job.

I never heard that. That's what guaranteeing the first 2 years of a new deal does. It guarantees them. If they cut him they still need to pay him and therefore it still hits the cap. In addition to that, spread-out money from his signing bonus wouldn't be spread out anymore: it would all accelerate to next year's cap.

They can probably spread out his hit over 2 years but they'd still be hamstrung from using that cap space until June. They'd be better off taking the hit in one lump sum.

If Tannenbaum is still here they won't do that. If Sanchez is gone so is Tannenbaum. For whatever reason, Woody likes Tannenbaum a lot. I think he respects his knowledge of the cap, but that's really a bad reason to have someone perform GM duties. And the truth is you can bring any half-wit accountant in and "master" the salary cap almost immediately. It isn't that complicated if that's your full time job.

I remember reading about voidable years. not sure what years tho. I think it was the last 2 years

Don't agree with that. They both suck, but at least Mark has won in the 4th quarter and won in the playoffs on the road yet.

Didn't Chad win a playoff game in San Diego?

Don't you want Mark to be what Chad was? That is a guy that protects the ball and does not kill the team with an turnover.

Right now, every single starter in the NFL is playing better than Sanchez over the last 3 games. That isn't hyperbole. His performance hs been abysmal.

No QB who claims to be an NFL QB should have a sub 50% completion percentage over 12 quarters of play.

Right now, every single starter in the NFL is playing better than Sanchez over the last 3 games. That isn't hyperbole. His performance hs been abysmal.

No QB who claims to be an NFL QB should have a sub 50% completion percentage over 12 quarters of play.

And people are calling for Tebow when he could not hit that mark in 10 of 14 games last year.

I agree with you; 150%. So if you were the GM, whats your move this offseason?

I remember reading about voidable years. not sure what years tho. I think it was the last 2 years

They gave him a 3 year extension and guaranteed the 2 years prior to that extension. This is my understanding. If correct, then he is not movable. They pay him almost $10M next year whether he's on the team or not.

But if the Jets can void the guaranteed year 2013 and you saw an article on it I'd be interested in reading it.

Didn't Chad win a playoff game in San Diego?

Don't you want Mark to be what Chad was? That is a guy that protects the ball and does not kill the team with an turnover.

I know YOU would rather have Chad than Mark since he beat you in your house in the playoffs and Chad never could.

To answer your question, Chad may have won one game on the road but I believe he was 2-4 in the playoffs where Mark is 4-2 all on the road. Sure I would love for Mark to not turn the ball over, but if your asking me what player I would rather have it is definitely Mark. Penny for all his smarts was named "noodle" for a reason. He was severely limited physically, injury prone, and could not win the big games. He simply could not throw the ball more than 15 yards. Mark is more physically gifted, and is a wild card. He can play big in the 4th qtr and win in big games (see Foxboro 2 years ago).

I think BG said it best above - Chad is a better QB overall but worst for your team.

Woody likes Tannenbaum a lot. I think he respects his knowledge of the cap, but that's really a bad reason to have someone perform GM duties. And the truth is you can bring any half-wit accountant in and "master" the salary cap almost immediately. It isn't that complicated if that's your full time job.

No doubt Woody likes Tanny a lot and he's probably not going anywhere. I think Tanny is a little more than you're giving him credit for though. He's very good at making trades and is decent in getting FA's. He relies too much on his scouting department which is where the whole problem lies. Why on earth is Boobway still employed by this team and in a high position? The whole scouting department is inept and needs to be blown up. That's exactly where major changes need to start happening.

I have soured a bit on Rex after the last few games, but still think he's a good coach and can be a successfull is given good talent especially on O. He is not a good talent evaluator though, and should have very little input if any on player acquisitions

They gave him a 3 year extension and guaranteed the 2 years prior to that extension. This is my understanding. If correct, then he is not movable. They pay him almost $10M next year whether he's on the team or not.

But if the Jets can void the guaranteed year 2013 and you saw an article on it I'd be interested in reading it.

looks like 2013 is guaranteed, but that's it

In 2012, Sanchez will make the same money ($11.75 million) he was set to earn before the extension. The difference is how it pays out: According to NationalFootballPost.com, Sanchez will now receive an $8 million signing bonus and a $3.25 million guaranteed salary, along with an offseason workout bonus of $500,000. The bonus is spread over the five remaining years of the deal, saving $6.4 million against the Jets' cap.

In 2013, Sanchez goes from a non-guaranteed $6 million to a guaranteed $8.75 million. The guarantee is nice, though it would have taken an epically bad season (think Blaine Gabbert, only more abject terror) for the Jets not to bring him back in the final year of his original deal.

All told, Sanchez will get $20.5 million guaranteed compared to $17.75 million of non-guaranteed money over the next two years. It's a "measly" raise of $2.75 million.

The rest of the deal is non-guaranteed, meaning the Jets can cut ties whenever they like. If Sanchez puts it together and becomes the quarterback they hope for, the Jets will have him under their control for three additional seasons at a discount rate. This was smart business.

and I think most jets fans would agree we are oficially in blaine gabbert abject terror mode right now

looks like 2013 is guaranteed, but that's it

In 2012, Sanchez will make the same money ($11.75 million) he was set to earn before the extension. The difference is how it pays out: According to NationalFootballPost.com, Sanchez will now receive an $8 million signing bonus and a $3.25 million guaranteed salary, along with an offseason workout bonus of $500,000. The bonus is spread over the five remaining years of the deal, saving $6.4 million against the Jets' cap.

In 2013, Sanchez goes from a non-guaranteed $6 million to a guaranteed $8.75 million. The guarantee is nice, though it would have taken an epically bad season (think Blaine Gabbert, only more abject terror) for the Jets not to bring him back in the final year of his original deal.

All told, Sanchez will get $20.5 million guaranteed compared to $17.75 million of non-guaranteed money over the next two years. It's a "measly" raise of $2.75 million.

The rest of the deal is non-guaranteed, meaning the Jets can cut ties whenever they like. If Sanchez puts it together and becomes the quarterback they hope for, the Jets will have him under their control for three additional seasons at a discount rate. This was smart business.

and I think most jets fans would agree we are oficially in blaine gabbert abject terror mode right now

Except he sucks and will never be a barely competent NFL QB.

I agree with you; 150%. So if you were the GM, whats your move this offseason?

Cant lok that far ahead because there is a lot of games left, but this 3 game sample is atrocious. As a GM you can only hope he improves for this year and somehow looks like a competent QB.

For the offseason, a GM is hamstrung by Sanchez' big guaranteed money. The bottom line is that if Sanchez fails for the remainder of the season then Tanny will get fired because its 1 of two fireable reasons: (1) the franchise QB sucks or (2) the GM put together a crappy offensive supporting cast.

I was going to say more (you know how I do), but I'm too exhausted by this team to do that. If you read the rest of the post though, I'd still take that Mexican turd over Chadwick anyway.

I usually stop reading after the first line :D

Archived