I hate to say it, but Chad > Mark

greeniemeanie

(1) the franchise QB sucks or (2) the GM put together a crappy offensive supporting cast.

# 1 is a firable offense in itself, especially after the extension.

# 2 is not entirely true. I'd say Tanny's bigger non-Sanchez-related flaws were the big money deals given to slow linebackers. Rex and Tanny collectively were not ready for the new NFL trends.

Give McElroy a chance.

It's not even one of those same old jokes anymore, like in the days of Ratliff or any of the others before him. I really would rather see him play QB for this team than anyone else on their roster. Sanchez is a joke, we know Tebow sure as hell isn't the answer, so might as well cross your fingers and hope you get lucky with the only unknown quantity on the team. In all likelihood he's going to suck ass, but he literally cannot be any worse. It's actually not possible.

I usually stop reading after the first line :biggrin:

The trick is to just read the first line of each paragraph to see if its worthwhile. You get the overall picture of the post without all the effort.

Oh Captain (BG) my Captain.

Oh, and on this topic. The thing I find kind of funny is that, while I am obviously know for my, let's call it "wordy", posting style, it's days like today we see long posts because so damn common around here, and yet it's these same days I can't possibly be bothered writing (or even reading) something all that long. Go figure.

I know YOU would rather have Chad than Mark since he beat you in your house in the playoffs and Chad never could.

To answer your question, Chad may have won one game on the road but I believe he was 2-4 in the playoffs where Mark is 4-2 all on the road. Sure I would love for Mark to not turn the ball over, but if your asking me what player I would rather have it is definitely Mark. Penny for all his smarts was named "noodle" for a reason. He was severely limited physically, injury prone, and could not win the big games. He simply could not throw the ball more than 15 yards. Mark is more physically gifted, and is a wild card. He can play big in the 4th qtr and win in big games (see Foxboro 2 years ago).

I think BG said it best above - Chad is a better QB overall but worst for your team.

While Mark does deserve credit for his play, if Chad has the top rated defense for one of his playoff runs, he might have won more than 2 games.

I still like Mark. Despite some in JN saying during the offseason that the Jets have offensive weapons, he really does not. With that being said, Mark is reminding me a little of Drew Bledsoe. "Very good, excellent at times, but never great." He is 51 games into his career. He is no longer the inexperienced QB from USC. He is what he is.

Chad Penington was no world beater, but damn... Mark really just doesn't have the backbone to play in this league. I have never seen a poorer performance, more consistently, than what Sanchez puts out there.

This season is lost. I just hope that things get better in the near future. When does hoops season start again?

Soft?

Yes.

While Mark does deserve credit for his play, if Chad has the top rated defense for one of his playoff runs, he might have won more than 2 games.

I still like Mark. Despite some in JN saying during the offseason that the Jets have offensive weapons, he really does not. With that being said, Mark is reminding me a little of Drew Bledsoe. "Very good, excellent at times, but never great." He is 51 games into his career. He is no longer the inexperienced QB from USC. He is what he is.

If I were a Patriots fan, I would LOVE Mark.

Chad Penington was no world beater, but damn... Mark really just doesn't have the backbone to play in this league. I have never seen a poorer performance, more consistently, than what Sanchez puts out there.

This season is lost. I just hope that things get better in the near future. When does hoops season start again?

Holy crap. I love you. If for no other reason this thread should get CTM back on the forums. Well done my friend, well frickin done.

It's not even one of those same old jokes anymore, like in the days of Ratliff or any of the others before him. I really would rather see him play QB for this team than anyone else on their roster. Sanchez is a joke, we know Tebow sure as hell isn't the answer, so might as well cross your fingers and hope you get lucky with the only unknown quantity on the team. In all likelihood he's going to suck ass, but he literally cannot be any worse. It's actually not possible.

Absolutely. Actually, McElroy is the least of the jokes going. He has shown nothing but good things. "He has a weak arm", congratulations! But he has shown to be a good decision maker, who makes the right throws.

Guys lets face it, we always defend Mark buy saying he "got us" to 2 AFC championship games. What got us to those games was a top 3 defense and top 3 running game, PERIOD. That and our coaches actually out coached their a$$es off in those playoff runs. For all that noodle arm Pennington was not, he was a smart football player. His smarts is what kept him in the league so long because athletically he wasn't shiznit.

You take Noodlearm, or even Vincenzo for that matter, and you give them those 2 luxuries then there's a good chance we have at least 1 ring from the recent SB runs. Play-action Pennington with the ground and pound we used to have would have been enough to get us over the hump. As a matter of fact, if King Dink & Dunk had Kerley and Santonio (basically 2 slots), Keller, and Plax in the redzone he could have done some damage. We still wouldn't light up the score board but think of how many sacks he woukldt have taken since he would actually get rid of the ball and not live in the pocket. And how many game killing picks he would NOT have thrown because he actually has some brains.

My $.02

The bold is complete and utter nonsense. Just go back to the 2004 playoffs to see exactly why. The Jets defense held the Steelers to 20 total points (17 in regulation) while forcing 3 turnovers (one being an INT returned 86 yards for a TD). The Jets special teams also added another TD with a 75 yard punt return. That's 14 points scored without Penny having to do a damn thing. In 4 and a half quarters, Pennington led the offense to THREE total points. Hell, even if you want to pull up the old Doug Brien excuse, that still is a grand total of SIX offensive points. While Pennington might not have pulled the kind of crap we saw out of Sanchez yesterday, I'm not sure there has ever been a QB in the league who has been regarded by many as a quality starter who was so completely incompetent and useless any time he was forced to face an even slightly respectable defense.

Oh, and on this topic. The thing I find kind of funny is that, while I am obviously know for my, let's call it "wordy", posting style, it's days like today we see long posts because so damn common around here, and yet it's these same days I can't possibly be bothered writing (or even reading) something all that long. Go figure.

That's called your will being broken, BG.

Anyone think the Jets are playing for a Superbowl one of those two AFC championship games under Rex and Chad under center?

We were a Doug Brien FG away from that situation... The same because, just like Mark, Chad wouldn't have been the reason we got there.

This debate is simple... Mark Sanchez's best is better than Chad Pennington's best. Mark Sanchez's worst is significantly worse than Chad Pennington's worst.

Chad's dumpoffs were far superior to Mr. Happy Feet. DLs who are engaged by our O-line are instructed to blow in Mark's direction. It has been rumored to work. Of course Chad is better. Chad possesses an intellect. And for what he was arm-wise, Chad was decent.

The bold is complete and utter nonsense. Just go back to the 2004 playoffs to see exactly why. The Jets defense held the Steelers to 20 total points (17 in regulation) while forcing 3 turnovers (one being an INT returned 86 yards for a TD). The Jets special teams also added another TD with a 75 yard punt return. That's 14 points scored without Penny having to do a damn thing. In 4 and a half quarters, Pennington led the offense to THREE total points. Hell, even if you want to pull up the old Doug Brien excuse, that still is a grand total of SIX offensive points. While Pennington might not have pulled the kind of crap we saw out of Sanchez yesterday, I'm not sure there has ever been a QB in the league who has been regarded by many as a quality starter who was so completely incompetent and useless any time he was forced to face an even slightly respectable defense.

And Mark was throwing for 400 yards in all four wins right? No.

I do not argue your point that Chad benefited.

Mark benefited as well as the D and Shon Greene (more so the first playoff run) carried the team more than Mark.

We were a Doug Brien FG away from that situation... The same because, just like Mark, Chad wouldn't have been the reason we got there.

This debate is simple... Mark Sanchez's best is better than Chad Pennington's best. Mark Sanchez's worst is significantly worse than Chad Pennington's worst.

I couldn't agree more!

And Mark was throwing for 400 yards in all four wins right? No.

I do not argue your point that Chad benefited.

Mark benefited as well as the D and Shon Greene (more so the first playoff run) carried the team more than Mark.

You can't possibly be serious with this, right? You have to be screwing with me, because even as a Pats fan, you can't possibly believe this. I never once said Sanchez carried that team, or even alluded to such, because I've never once thought anything close to that. However, you're the one who's trying to blame Pennington's sorry ass postseason history on his freakin' defenses, which is simply ridiculous. Again I say to you, THREE points from the offense in that game vs the Steelers. With one of the league's best defenses, that generated three turnovers and scored 7 points, with a special teams unit who scored another 7, and with the league's leading rusher in his backfield, Pennington led the Jets offense to THREE points. There is absolutely no excuse for this whatsoever. Chad Pennington's postseason failures throughout the entirety of his career is because of one person far more than anyone else: Chad Pennington.

This all smells of Woody. Seems he was so obsessed with having the Jets on the back page and ticket sdales, they

forgot to BUILD a team. This is what Tanny and Mangini were attempting to do, but headlines are more

important then the sidelines to Woody Johnson..In the words of Malcolm X "The chickens have come home to roost"

Its the truth. The Jets missed badly on Sanchez..Blame Mangini for that too

Archived