The Jets Drafts From The Past Five Years

SoFlaJets

I'm with you DBates. I'm just poking a little fun. Sometimes it gets tough to find the positives. Our run d has been bad. So reading that PFF says we have good grades against the run---it's just joke fodder. and i like jokes. thats all it is really. Mo Wilk is decent and hopefully will be better. But jokes about replacement windows are hard to come by. so I take the opportunities when I see them. You're a good sport and a good poster. Don't take my silly jabs personally. Just being a wise-ass as usual.

My only issue is that I constantly confused you with lancemehl and for a long time it was a serious mindf*ck seeing posts bounce from logical and coherent to rambling. I figured typical jets fan mood-swings, we all have em, but it really was throwing me thinking it was the same person.

I didn't say anything about sacks; Wilkerson actually carries a negative grade against the pass. But he's been a force against the run since the middle of last season or so, and the PFF numbers say he's second only to Watt in that department this year. You can take issue with PFF's charting system and you can certainly argue whether or not Wilkerson's production to this point has been worth the 30th overall pick, but...well, that's what the numbers say. FWIW DeVito and Coples both carry a high grade against the run as well. Our run defense is bad partially because Pouha is hurt and Ellis is a kid but mainly because our linebackers are ungodly terrible.

I actually think for the run grading its one of those things where I would probably combine the PFF stats with those of FO. I think the two factors to look at are the stuff type plays (which is why Wilkerson grades where he does on PFF) but also yards being gained in his direction. For Wilkerson its more or less average in that category, but you look at Arizona and they give up nothing on Calais Campbells side of the field yet he ranks lower than Mo. Something has to cause that besides Calvin Pace sucking. For DeVito his side has issues against the run. Some of that is in the middle which is supposed to be Harris spot to fill but those two go hand in hand. On one of those big Foster runs DeVito got tossed aside like nothing and Harris apparently thought the guard was the ball carrier. Harris' instincts have gotten so bad. I have never seen a MLB get contacted by a blocker on almost every single play. Its like he is a sitting target.

Anyway Wilkerson is going to be an ok player but I dont think he really has developed this year. He was fine last year and the same this year. I still think he has Shaun Ellis upside in terms of being a do it all lunchpail guy, but they are going to need Coples to turn into something to make Wilkersons inability to rush the passer not so noticeable.

I'm with you DBates. I'm just poking a little fun. Sometimes it gets tough to find the positives. Our run d has been bad. So reading that PFF says we have good grades against the run---it's just joke fodder. and i like jokes. thats all it is really. Mo Wilk is decent and hopefully will be better. But jokes about replacement windows are hard to come by. so I take the opportunities when I see them. You're a good sport and a good poster. Don't take my silly jabs personally. Just being a wise-ass as usual.

HOW DARE YOU

My only issue is that I constantly confused you with lancemehl and for a long time it was a serious mindf*ck seeing posts bounce from logical and coherent to rambling. I figured typical jets fan mood-swings, we all have em, but it really was throwing me thinking it was the same person.

Screen-shot-2012-10-09-at-9.18.16-AM.jpg

I just got out of school, which means I've spent the better part of the last decade living up my own ass, so anytime someone disagrees with me, even as a joke, it goes a little something like this:

dbcomic-1.jpg

I actually think for the run grading its one of those things where I would probably combine the PFF stats with those of FO. I think the two factors to look at are the stuff type plays (which is why Wilkerson grades where he does on PFF) but also yards being gained in his direction. For Wilkerson its more or less average in that category, but you look at Arizona and they give up nothing on Calais Campbells side of the field yet he ranks lower than Mo. Something has to cause that besides Calvin Pace sucking. For DeVito his side has issues against the run. Some of that is in the middle which is supposed to be Harris spot to fill but those two go hand in hand. On one of those big Foster runs DeVito got tossed aside like nothing and Harris apparently thought the guard was the ball carrier. Harris' instincts have gotten so bad. I have never seen a MLB get contacted by a blocker on almost every single play. Its like he is a sitting target.

Anyway Wilkerson is going to be an ok player but I dont think he really has developed this year. He was fine last year and the same this year. I still think he has Shaun Ellis upside in terms of being a do it all lunchpail guy, but they are going to need Coples to turn into something to make Wilkersons inability to rush the passer not so noticeable.

Anyone at least a little concerned that Coples has shown next to nothing through five games?

Anyone at least a little concerned that Coples has shown next to nothing through five games?

I think he's looked ok. He hasn't played a ton of snaps, but he's got a couple TFLs (PFF likes him against the run too). Doesn't seem to get pushed around, but for as long as his arms are it looks like he has a lot of trouble getting off blocks, and his only move to speak of at this point is a straight bull-rush.

I think he's looked ok. He hasn't played a ton of snaps, but he's got a couple TFLs (PFF likes him against the run too). Doesn't seem to get pushed around, but for as long as his arms are it looks like he has a lot of trouble getting off blocks, and his only move to speak of at this point is a straight bull-rush.

I wonder how much of that is coaching. They were the ones suggesting that Maybin use nothing but the speed rush last year and were successful. Dunbar is new, so I hope they are letting them loose, but so far it sure hasn't looked like it.

It doesnt bother me too much yet because he barely got any chances to play until the last two games. You would like to see more in the pass rush. Right now he grades worse than Calvin Pace which is pretty bad, though I guess Id have to pay more attention to what the line formations are that he is rushing from to say if its that bad. I think one concern is that he looks like a bit of a project and given his reputation Im not sure that he is willing to put in the work to get "coached up"

It doesnt bother me too much yet because he barely got any chances to play until the last two games. You would like to see more in the pass rush. Right now he grades worse than Calvin Pace which is pretty bad, though I guess Id have to pay more attention to what the line formations are that he is rushing from to say if its that bad. I think one concern is that he looks like a bit of a project and given his reputation Im not sure that he is willing to put in the work to get "coached up"

Big Difference playing against ACC OL then against starting NFL lineman. Doesnt Look like he will be a stud pass russer, best you can hope for is he becomes a Sean Ellis type.

1 16 Quinton Coples DE North Carolina 2 43 Stephen Hill WR Georgia Tech 3 77 Demario Davis LB Arkansas State 6 187 Josh Bush DB Wake Forest 6 202 Terrance Ganaway RB Baylor 6 203 Robert T. Griffin G Baylor 7 242 Antonio Allen SS South Carolina 7 244 Jordan White WR Western Michigan 2011 - New York Jets RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 30 Muhammad Wilkerson DT Temple 3 94 Kenrick Ellis DT Hampton 4 126 Bilal Powell RB Louisville 5 153 Jeremy Kerley WR Texas Christian 7 208 Greg McElroy QB Alabama 7 227 Scotty McKnight WR Colorado 2010 - New York Jets RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 29 Kyle Wilson CB Boise State 2 61 Vladimir Ducasse T Massachusetts 4 112 Joe McKnight RB USC 5 139 John Conner RB Kentucky 2009 - New York Jets RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 5 Mark Sanchez QB USC 3 65 Shonn Greene RB Iowa 6 193 Matt Slauson G Nebraska 2008 - New York Jets RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 6 Vernon Gholston LB Ohio State 1 30 Dustin Keller TE Purdue 4 113 Dwight Lowery CB San Jose State 5 162 Erik Ainge QB Tennessee 6 171 Marcus Henry WR Kansas 7 211 Nate Garner T Arkansas

Wow--this IS suckful!

The jury is still out on Coples, but I like him and see promise...Wilk is good, Kerley keeps getting better, Kenrick looks the part, Shonn Greene always flashes, Bilal is playing better now, Slauson was a steal and starts for us, thats pretty good on average for drafting late do to our past winning seasons. The downfall is that Sanchez, Ducasse, and Kyle Wilson are pure garbage at this point. :(

Archived