is Chandler Jones the one who got away ? ? ?

kelly

What's interesting is that up until the last game, the Jets had been trailing in most games and couldn't really go into a pass rushing mode since teams were running at will on them. Every game the Pats are in seems to be a shootout, with teams playing from behind a lot and passing a lot. That definitely leads to more pass rushing opportunities. I wouldn't get too crazy over six games.

Jets made the better pick. One draft pick has produced in college, one hasn't. If The Past got lucky, fine.

But The Past aren't asking Jones to learn a thousand defensive concepts. The Past's defense isn't half as complicated as Rex's

If anything is holding back Coples, it's the Jets. He was producing until he got here.....

BD

ESPN says he has 3 TFL, same as Jones. Where did you see 5?

BD

From the original article at the top of the page:

Coples has been slower out of the gate. He has nine tackles on the year, although five has been for a loss, and has just 1½ sacks.

So apparently ESPN stats contradict the article. Who knows? They said "five has," so ESPN cannot even conjugate correctly.

Off the top of my head, I can recall him having 2 TFL's in the week 5 game, I can't remember how many he had in the others. He had 1.5 sacks in the last game, and could have had 2.5 if not for the penalty so that's pretty good.

The article is kinda silly in comparing plain ol' tackles though, as they play two different positions.

Remember when the Patriots had a corner that was going to be as good as Revis? I forget his name, he was one of the two guys that Braylon ran right over for a touchdown in the playoff game.

Either way, whoever that guy is... if he's still playing, then he's playing in one of the worst secondaries in football. I think they're ranked 31st. Revis by himself practically puts you in the top 15 before you even talk about who else is in your secondary.

Rex started the season saying the team was loaded with talent, and outside of losing Revis on defense, nothing has changed.

So if he's not getting the most out of this talented roster, it's a coaching problem.

Between Mo, Maybin, and Coples, them having a combined 2.5 sacks I blame the coaching. Coples had 24 sacks in 3 years at NC. The Jets have rendered him suddenly ineffective.

And when was the last time the Jets ran a "stunt" or "twist" blitz? Every other team uses it, and gets instant QB pressure, but the Jets don't......

BD

Coples has seen far fewer snaps than Chandler. Plus, he got two sacks just last week. Why does this article even need to exist before either have played even half a season? ESPN is a joke.

I think it's more a case of Jones overachieving, not Coples playing badly.

Jets haven't plated Coples more because he's had to take more time to learn the Jets more complicated defense. Which is great, if the defense is better than everybody else's. But it's not, so......

BD

Rex started the season saying the team was loaded with talent, and outside of losing Revis on defense, nothing has changed.

Well, Revis is a pretty substantial injury. I mean...substantial. It'd be like saying, "Apart from losing Demarcus Ware, nothing has changed for the Cowboys defense..." Basically, Revis allows us to rush an extra man on many downs. He's that important. There's really no overestimating what he gives this team. Not as much as a Brady or Rodgers due to his position, but as close as you can get to that on defense.

There have been other injuries - a few defensive linemen for example (Pouha, Ellis, DeVito at times).

Still, the offense also affects the defense. We have been getting killed in time of possession. So I would say the offensive injuries have also hurt the defense, and we've had no shortage of those: Holmes/Hill/Keller are big. That takes away Sanchez' top 3 weapons. Each of them have missed a substantial amount of time.

Additionally, it's not as if the defense has been that bad. They are getting killed vs. the run but they're great against the pass. They've had several good performances. They're not living up to their billing thusfar, but they've played well the past two games.

If you want to judge a defense, I wouldn't do it by individual sack numbers. That's fun and all, but not very important. I would rather look at how many points they've given up. That's the best stat. Look at that stat for every team, adjusting it for each turnover that their offense has given up.

Remember when the Patriots had a corner that was going to be as good as Revis? I forget his name, he was one of the two guys that Braylon ran right over for a touchdown in the playoff game.

Either way, whoever that guy is... if he's still playing, then he's playing in one of the worst secondaries in football. I think they're ranked 31st. Revis by himself practically puts you in the top 15 before you even talk about who else is in your secondary.

I'm starting to think you could say that about Cro too...

Jets made the better pick. One draft pick has produced in college, one hasn't. If The Past got lucky, fine.

But The Past aren't asking Jones to learn a thousand defensive concepts. The Past's defense isn't half as complicated as Rex's

If anything is holding back Coples, it's the Jets. He was producing until he got here.....

BD

What? College production makes the pick better? Yet, actual production in the league is not? :sign0098:

The article is ridiculous. Judging success or failure of a pick is ridiculous 10 minutes after the draft much less 6 games into their respective careers.

The knock on Coples was average speed and his motor. Could this be the reason he has not produced? maybe, maybe not. Again, it is too early to tell. And Belichick's D is not simple.

What? College production makes the pick better? Yet, actual production in the league is not? :sign0098:

The article is ridiculous. Judging success or failure of a pick is ridiculous 10 minutes after the draft much less 6 games into their respective careers.

The knock on Coples was average speed and his motor. Could this be the reason he has not produced? maybe, maybe not. Again, it is too early to tell. And Belichick's D is not simple.

Do you hear me knocking the Coples pick? Or doing the opposite?

Oh.......

We won't know for at least two years if the pick is working out, not that the Jets have a strong track record.

My point is he's shown he can get to the QB and drop guys for losses. He's only slowed down doing that since he came up. If he fails, I blame the coaches more than the player. Maybin, Mo and Coples have combined for 2.5 sacks. They don't all stink......

BD

BD

You do realize Belichick was probably the best DC in the league for many years since the early 80's to be exact and while he has had some personnel problems the last 4 or 5 years with the Pats his defenses are just as complex and tough on opposing QB's as Rex's defenses are probably even more so. Pats give up a lot of yards because the offense usually spots them 3 or 4 TD's causing them to sit back to prevent big plays. But when it comes down to it Belichicks defenses seem to always make the big stop or come up with the big play. They are the exact opposite of the Jets, they make big plays to win the Jets have them statistically but cant make the big stop.

If I had to choose between Rex and Belichick as a Defensive Coordinator my choice would be Belichick since hes done it for about 20 years longer than Rex and has SB victories with both the Giants and the Pats both teams who won with Great defense.

You do realize Belichick was probably the best DC in the league for many years since the early 80's to be exact and while he has had some personnel problems the last 4 or 5 years with the Pats his defenses are just as complex and tough on opposing QB's as Rex's defenses are probably even more so. Pats give up a lot of yards because the offense usually spots them 3 or 4 TD's causing them to sit back to prevent big plays. But when it comes down to it Belichicks defenses seem to always make the big stop or come up with the big play. They are the exact opposite of the Jets, they make big plays to win the Jets have them statistically but cant make the big stop.

If I had to choose between Rex and Belichick as a Defensive Coordinator my choice would be Belichick since hes done it for about 20 years longer than Rex and has SB victories with both the Giants and the Pats both teams who won with Great defense.

THAT'S your argument? Belichick's defenses were worth a damn 20-25 years ago?

What about the last decade, when they've been the worst in football?

He stopped caring? Had better things to do?

BD

THAT'S your argument? Belichick's defenses were worth a damn 20-25 years ago?

What about the last decade, when they've been the worst in football?

He stopped caring? Had better things to do?

BD

Let me explain something to you before you make a bigger fool of yourself. Belichick won 3 SB's in the past 12 years and yes a few of them within this decade of fail you seem to be talking about.

He also coached some great defenses with the Giants that actully won SB's with nothing special on offense. HE actully turned our Defense around in the late 90's, thats if you remember he was a DC for us.

When you look at a coach you look at the entire body of work, to even put Rex Ryan anywhere close to Bill Belichick based on performance is beyond stupid. I personally hate the guys guts but that does not mean Im going to be ignorant and bash the guy in an actual football discussion. Rex Ryan is light years away from anything Bill Belichick has accomplished even as a Defensive Coordinator .

Oh and to answer the qeustion of what the thread was intended YES Chandler Jones was the guy that got away. I dont follow College ball as much as I used to but I do remember a few people on these very forums calling for us to draft Jones but hey Rex saw Coples beating up on cones and doing some extra drills so hey he must be the guy. Did you know he is 6-6 290 ? Im sure Rex will let ya know.

Let me explain something to you before you make a bigger fool of yourself. Belichick won 3 SB's in the past 12 years and yes a few of them within this decade of fail you seem to be talking about.

He also coached some great defenses with the Giants that actully won SB's with nothing special on offense. HE actully turned our Defense around in the late 90's, thats if you remember he was a DC for us.

When you look at a coach you look at the entire body of work, to even put Rex Ryan anywhere close to Bill Belichick based on performance is beyond stupid. I personally hate the guys guts but that does not mean Im going to be ignorant and bash the guy in an actual football discussion. Rex Ryan is light years away from anything Bill Belichick has accomplished even as a Defensive Coordinator .

That's what I said, fool. Now we only count when he was great DC in the 80's (WITH Bill Parcells), and hasn't been great defensively SINCE.

Explain away the last decade of crap defense.......

BD

That's what I said, fool. Now we only count when he was great DC in the 80's (WITH Bill Parcells), and hasn't been great defensively SINCE.

Explain away the last decade of crap defense.......

BD

Wow are you really this dense BD ? This is not just about the 80's. Do you realize what Belichick did to one of the best offenses in the history of the NFL (Rams) in his first SB appearance as a HC ? Yep that was the Patriots defense and the reason why he won 3 SB's. Did you forget about that defense or are you trying to argue that they sucked ? And go figure they all happened in the 2000's The Pats defense declined after 2005 because they simply got old and slow so what did Belichick do ? He stock piled Draft picks and began to rebuild his defense, sometimes players dont work out, maybe Belichick is not the greatest talent scout but the last draft seems to be going well and if you will notice the Pats are starting to run the football you might start to see a very big difference in the Pats defense in the coming years especially if they start to go a little more conservative on offense and control the clock more. Also if you bothered to look most of the yards the Pats give up is in prevent mode it makes their defense look bad statistically but its not all about statistics. I guess your just used to Rex quoting stats to the media in his press conferences like an idiot but when it comes down to the big stop needed Ive seen Rex's defense fail plenty of times and thats really all that counts

Wow are you really this dense BD ? This is not just about the 80's. Do you realize what Belichick did to one of the best offenses in the history of the NFL (Rams) in his first SB appearance as a HC ? Yep that was the Patriots defense and the reason why he won 3 SB's. Did you forget about that defense or are you trying to argue that they sucked ? And go figure they all happened in the 2000's The Pats defense declined after 2005 because they simply got old and slow so what did Belichick do ? He stock piled Draft picks and began to rebuild his defense, sometimes players dont work out, maybe Belichick is not the greatest talent scout but the last draft seems to be going well and if you will notice the Pats are starting to run the football you might start to see a very big difference in the Pats defense in the coming years especially if they start to go a little more conservative on offense and control the clock more. Also if you bothered to look most of the yards the Pats give up is in prevent mode it makes their defense look bad statistically but its not all about statistics. I guess your just used to Rex quoting stats to the media in his press conferences like an idiot but when it comes down to the big stop needed Ive seen Rex's defense fail plenty of times and thats really all that counts

Thanks for avoiding answering the question. Your admission of guilt is duly noted.

Moving on.....

BD

Archived