Abraham would be happy if Jets trade him-article

Kerry Rhodes

Abraham would be happy if Jets trade him

ANDREA ADELSON, AP

12/14/2005

ANDREA ADELSONAssociated PressHEMPSTEAD, N.Y. - John Abraham feels he has shown the New York Jets he can dominate games and stay healthy for an entire season. Now he wants his reward: a long-term contract, from the Jets or someone else.

The three-time Pro Bowl defensive end said Wednesday he is willing to be traded instead of being tagged the franchise player for a second year in a row.

"I said it when I first came here I'm looking for that stability," Abraham said Wednesday. "I'm 27 now, it's not like I'm 21 or 22 or just don't care. I have a family. I'm looking for long-term, whether it's here or somewhere else."

Abraham signed a $6.7 million, one-year deal as the franchise player after sitting out training camp, hoping to stay healthy and earn his long-term deal. Going into this year, he played in two full seasons twice in five years, but still managed 43 sacks.

So far, Abraham has played in all 13 games and is having another good season. He has 8 1/2 sacks and five forced fumbles for a 3-10 team and probably would have been more successful had the offense not struggled so much.

He is coming off a big game against Oakland, with two sacks that caused fumbles. The Jets face Miami on Sunday, another team Abraham usually dominates. In their first meeting, he had a sack, a forced fumble and four quarterback pressures.

"The Raiders had a hard time with him. He wrecked the game, creating two turnovers that really iced the game," Dolphins coach Nick Saban said. "He's a fantastic player."

But Abraham is convinced what he has done on the field this season has not helped his cause.

"I think I've done enough on the field to show that I'm worth it, but I can't go in there and make them do anything," Abraham said. "It's obviously not because of my play."

The Jets, not known to negotiate during the season, have had no talks with Abraham's agents, Rich Rosa and Tony Agnone. Rosa said Wednesday he expects to hear from the team when the season ends, and believes Abraham has done more than enough to show he deserves a long-term deal.

The Jets do not comment on contract negotiations. General manager Terry Bradway said in August, "Our intention all along has been to have John here for a long time."

"I think he proved that the last couple of years," Rosa said. "Everyone wanted to revisit back to everything and anything John Abraham did wrong. Does he deserve a long-term deal from someone? I believe he does. He's a great player."

Abraham's name has come up in trade speculation since last offseason. The latest centers around San Diego and Philip Rivers, because the Jets are in need of a quarterback. But Abraham stopped short of saying he would demand a trade.

"I've gotten traded for everybody so far," Abraham said. "It's something that I'm not ready for if it happens, but it's something that won't bother me if it happens. I'm just seeing it as the business part and if that's the aspect they want to take, I guess I have to take it."

The deadline to designate a player with the franchise tag is Feb. 23. If the Jets tag him again, Abraham said, "It wouldn't make me happy. I wouldn't be coming in here jumping up and down."

He also would probably wait until the last possible moment to sign the tender while training on his own in his hometown of Columbia, S.C., and skip camp, just as he did this year. Abraham credits his offseason program with keeping him healthy because he could go easier on his body.

The most amazing part of hisability to stay healthy this season is what has happened around him: 12 players are out for the season, including ironman running back Curtis Martin.

"I just want that commitment. It's nothing personal, it's nothing to do with the Jets," Abraham said. "Three years from now I'll be 29 going on 30. I don't look as appetizing at 30 as I do at 27. Just to have a long-term deal would feel better than just to have the one-year deal to see how you can hold up every year."

Archived