Looking Forward: Clean House

leonwash29

The bluster and BS are really not all that important.

What is important-Rex Ryan does not develop talent. Not any where on eiather side of the ball. Further "ground and pound" is in fact antiquated nonsense.He might as well be selling beepers in fornt of an Apple store. The rules beg you to pass. And when you can pass effectively you move the ball quickly and don't need to worry about something going wrong on a 15-play 7-1st down drive. Ryan is somewhere between hostile and indifferent about making his offense barely competent. And that brings you back to talent not improving.

So Rex being on board with bringing in Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, LT (one of the best receiving backs of all-time) and reluctantly, Stephen Hill mean Rex is "hostile or indifferent" to the offense? Bullsh**.

Rex's ONLY failure on the offensive side of the ball is going all in on Mark Sanchez. Rex more than anyone knows what a franchise QB can do (see his praise on Peyton and Brady) and Sanchez isn't the guy. Unfortunately, you can't just give up so easily on such an investment, so the team has tried unsuccessfully to build around him.

Either he sucks at coaching offense (not unusual for a HC if you look around the league at defense-minded HC's) or most of his failures fall are on Sanchez/Tannenbaum. Or a little of both. This idea that Rex doesn't care about offense is nonsense.

I would hardly say our D-Line has been "superb".

We will see how much the Jets miss Revis this week, I fear. Catching the Texans on a night when they could jam the ball down the throat on teh run at will, and facing a rookie qb on theroad is much different than facing Brady.

I think we'd be in major trouble @ NE even with Revis. I trust Cro can handle Lloyd and Wilson will do reasonably well against Welker. The problem is the 2 TE's. While we've gotten moderately better at covering TE's this season, we're still 24th in the league against them. Hopefully our safeties are up for the task but I doubt it.

Mangini got another job.

Herm got another job.

Rex will always be able to get a job.

Rex is a legitimate defensive coordinator, and one of the best in the league. Herm was a clown and Mangini was a headmistress.

You ignored my earlier request to name a unit on the squad that has improved under Rex's brilliance. I am waiting.

The Jets passing defense was near the bottom of the league (#29) when Rex took over the team, and in his first season the Jets were ranked #1 in that category (as well as #1 in total defense). They've remained a top unit in that regard during his entire tenure including this season, in which he's lost Revis, where the Jets currently rank #6. The man knows defense. People talk about this being a passing league in regards to our less-than-stellar offense, but its a passing league when the defense is on the field, too, and in that category Rex clearly excels.

Also, I don't buy the idea that Rex doesn't want to throw the football. What options does he have in that regard? He talks up the ground & pound largely because that's his best option. And he's toned that down as that option has declined. But he let Schottenheimer try to open it up with Sanchez, and we've seen Sparano throw the ball a lot in the opener - until Sanchez fell back to earth hard.

The real decline on this team is personnel. That's supposed to be Tannenbaum's job. People talk about his ability to find cap room, but he created his own need to find it by having Sanchez, Holmes, Harris, Scott, and Pace making up a full 25% of his cap allotment. Trading picks, overpaying free agents, and drafting poorly in general. That's the major problem on this team.

If the Jets were to unload Rex, he'll be able to wave off coordinator offers while he waits for another head coaching job - if he so chooses.

Rex is a legitimate defensive coordinator, and one of the best in the league. Herm was a clown and Mangini was a headmistress.

The Jets passing defense was near the bottom of the league (#29) when Rex took over the team, and in his first season the Jets were ranked #1 in that category (as well as #1 in total defense). They've remained a top unit in that regard during his entire tenure including this season, in which he's lost Revis, where the Jets currently rank #6. The man knows defense. People talk about this being a passing league in regards to our less-than-stellar offense, but its a passing league when the defense is on the field, too, and in that category Rex clearly excels.

Also, I don't buy the idea that Rex doesn't want to throw the football. What options does he have in that regard? He talks up the ground & pound largely because that's his best option. And he's toned that down as that option has declined. But he let Schottenheimer try to open it up with Sanchez, and we've seen Sparano throw the ball a lot in the opener - until Sanchez fell back to earth hard.

The real decline on this team is personnel. That's supposed to be Tannenbaum's job. People talk about his ability to find cap room, but he created his own need to find it by having Sanchez, Holmes, Harris, Scott, and Pace making up a full 25% of his cap allotment. Trading picks, overpaying free agents, and drafting poorly in general. That's the major problem on this team.

If the Jets were to unload Rex, he'll be able to wave off coordinator offers while he waits for another head coaching job - if he so chooses.

Spot. On.

POTW nom?

Great post.

If guys like Romeo Crennell, Eric Mangini and Herm Edwards, just to name a few, get 2nd chances as a HC, you can bet your bottom dollar so will Rex Ryan. Especially if its a team dying for an identity and some coverage from the media making them some what relevant just based on his personality.

Contrary to popular belief around these parts, never having a losing season, winning 4 playoff games and getting to back to back AFCG's in the first 3 years of your HC'ing career despite having horrific QB play, is viewed as success around the league. Under Rex, he's coached the best defense and the best running game in the league. The NFL knows this. Only fans with an agenda dont think those are resume builders that will land you another job.

Yards/game allowed by defense during Rex's tenure:

2009-252.3

2010-291.5

2011-312.1

2012-359.8

Maybe it is me, but I see a negative trend there

this thread is like saying get rid of Pat Riley, Patrick Ewing and John Starks, cause they can never beat the Jordan Bulls.

if you have a first ballot HOF QB in the division, winning that division is going to be tough. Firing everyone doesn't change that.

The best thing to happen to the Jets will be when Tom Brady retires. I don't know who will be running the team at that point but whoever it is, their job becomes much easier.

this thread is like saying get rid of Pat Riley, Patrick Ewing and John Starks, cause they can never beat the Jordan Bulls.

if you have a first ballot HOF QB in the division, winning that division is going to be tough. Firing everyone doesn't change that.

The best thing to happen to the Jets will be when Tom Brady retires. I don't know who will be running the team at that point but whoever it is, their job becomes much easier.

That is a defeatist attitude.

The Jets beat the Patriots, when it was most important, 2 years ago in the playoffs. Unfortunately, they treated that game like it was the Super Bowl, dancing, hotting and hollering when there was more work to be done.

Their coach should have done a better job of focusing them for the entirety of the playoffs, not just beating the Patriots. That was their best window to go to a Super Bowl, and they blew it by an approach that was poor.

The Jets beat the Patriots, when it was most important, 2 years ago in the playoffs. Unfortunately, they treated that game like it was the Super Bowl, dancing, hotting and hollering when there was more work to be done.

Their coach should have done a better job of focusing them for the entirety of the playoffs, not just beating the Patriots. That was their best window to go to a Super Bowl, and they blew it by an approach that was poor.

Now he has a poor approach in the playoffs? They managed to win two games both times they made it. I'm more concerned with his approach in the regular season. You can pounce on that all you want, but I think the idea that the team should give up on Rex without waiting out the rest of this season is one of the stupidest I've seen and I frequent a board where there were pages of posts about building a team around Brooks Bollinger and Brett Ratliff.

you call it defeatist I call it realist. Can the Jets do better, yes. but firing the coach every 3 years doesn't change the enormity of the task. Brady has 3 rings (and could have been 5 rings ) at some point Jets fans have to take off the green glasses and look around the league.

Now he has a poor approach in the playoffs? They managed to win two games both times they made it. I'm more concerned with his approach in the regular season. You can pounce on that all you want, but I think the idea that the team should give up on Rex without waiting out the rest of this season is one of the stupidest I've seen and I frequent a board where there were pages of posts about building a team around Brooks Bollinger and Brett Ratliff.

Rex gets the rest of the season, no doubt. But if it continues in this vain, he should be gone

No, they blew it because Sanchez is f***ing terrible. Eventually that catches up with you when you're facing teams whose QB isn't sh*tty. Just look what happened to the Niners last year.

The fact that we've taken down Rivers, Manning and Brady on the road in the postseason is a modern miracle.

No, they blew it because Sanchez is f***ing terrible. Eventually that catches up with you when you're facing teams whose QB isn't sh*tty. Just look what happened to the Niners last year.

The fact that we've taken down Rivers, Manning and Brady on the road in the postseason is a modern miracle.

That's the problem with this place. Everybody wants to act like it's a modern miracle. It wasn't. It was good coaching.

That's the problem with this place. Everybody wants to act like it's a modern miracle. It wasn't. It was good coaching.

Fine. A miracle made possible by good coaching. Rex cemented himself as a really good HC in his 1st two years. Those who are saying he is terrible/mediocre and should be fired or on the hot seat really don't have a leg to stand on unless you're playing the "he signed off on Sanchez" card.

OH MY GOD!!!! then jets didnt go to the AFC Championship Game last year and this year, we are only 3-3!!!

3-3????? BURN IT DOWN!!!!

Those 3 loses....I cant believe it....

BURN.....IT.....DOWN!!!!!!!!

If we dont get rid of this born freaking loser Rex, and that boob tannenbaum, we are doomed!!! DOOOOOOMED!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived