Who will replace these refs

JetsFanInDenver

Bill Barnwelll, Grantland.com

"Forgot About Brady

Let's go back to the final play of that Jets-Patriots game, because it shouldn't have been the final play at all. Mark Sanchez is sacked on his dropback and certainly fumbles the ball backward, a decision that was reviewed by the notably incompetent Jeff Triplette and confirmed before the game was officially brought to a halt.

What the referees didn't call at the time, though (and couldn't overturn on review), was a personal-foul penalty that should have kept the game going. The initial contact with Sanchez is made by Jermaine Cunningham (no. 96), who falls down at the line of scrimmage in front of Sanchez and crawls at Sanchez before diving at his ankles and knocking him down. Patriots fans will undoubtedly remember what I'm referring to: the Brady Rule.

After Brady's infamous injury at the hands of Bernard Pollard ended his 2008 season, the league protected quarterbacks from shots below the knees by players who were downed at their feet. The rule provides an exception for players who were blocked into the quarterback, but Cunningham is clearly no longer blocked when he crawls after Sanchez for several steps. The rule also notes that defenders are allowed to "swipe" at the quarterback, but Cunningham forcibly tries to take down Sanchez (somewhat successfully) by his ankles. That's a 15-yard penalty, one that should have extended the Jets' drive and the overtime session.

A missed call is one thing, but the league seems to be unofficially abandoning any enforcement of the Brady Rule. Only an hour earlier, I saw the Raiders take down Chad Henne with an even clearer Brady Rule hit. And several weeks ago, during the reign of replacement-referee terror, a Raiders player hit Ben Roethlisberger from the side with a diving shot into his ankle that left Roethlisberger visibly limping for the rest of the series. Neither of those plays was called, and neither of the hits today even merited as much as a mention from the announcers in its respective game.

We all know how this ends. If the Brady Rule isn't enforced, the league is going to see defenders diving at the ankles of quarterbacks for sacks until somebody gets seriously hurt. Then there's going to be an outcry to protect the league's quarterbacks, James Harrison will say something outlandish, and we'll be having this whole debate all over again. Let's not require somebody to undergo reconstructive surgery before that happens. The Brady Rule is on the books. It might have cost the Jets a win on Sunday, but even that is less important than keeping the league's stars healthy. It's a rule that needs to be enforced."

Also, apparently 15-yard helmet-leading shots-not a penalty when the Pats do it. This is approaching NBA-style bullhseet refs.

Is that any worse than what took place during the game?? Probably not. One major fault I have with officiating is they officiate to the score/time on the clock and down/distance. Earlier in the game this doesnt get called. 1st or 2nd down this doesnt get called. 3rd down in OT it gets called. It was probably the right call, as Wilson does grab his arm when hernandez tries to get away from Wilson.. but as many have said it HAS to be consistent, and it doesnt seem to be consistent. Is that because its the Pats and hometown refs?? No... but Jet fans will believe it to be. Definitely will help those conspiracy theorists. :-D

I agree. I will add, however, that I feel they would only situationally call it different with "elite" QBs. It's sort of like Jordan was in basketball. If the pass isn't completed and there was minor contact, the greats are given the benefit of the doubt. Sanchez or guys like Bradford, Alex Smith, Carson Palmer (sadly this is his group)....they don't get those situational calls.

Just how I've seen it over the years. I don't like it because we don't have an elite QB (though I'm sure we got a couple Favre's year), but that's the way it is. If we had an elite guy and there was a play like that I'd swear up and down the pass would have been completed if not for the contact.

What the referees didn't call at the time, though (and couldn't overturn on review), was a personal-foul penalty that should have kept the game going. The initial contact with Sanchez is made by Jermaine Cunningham (no. 96), who falls down at the line of scrimmage in front of Sanchez and crawls at Sanchez before diving at his ankles and knocking him down.

Cunningham fell at Sanchez's feet and reached up and grabbed his leg. He didnt crawl.

sanchez-1.jpg

Pollard and his hit on Brady was much different. He was 2-3 yards away from Brady when he was knocked down and then dove at his knees.

brady.jpg

I agree. I will add, however, that I feel they would only situationally call it different with "elite" QBs. It's sort of like Jordan was in basketball. If the pass isn't completed and there was minor contact, the greats are given the benefit of the doubt. Sanchez or guys like Bradford, Alex Smith, Carson Palmer (sadly this is his group)....they don't get those situational calls.

Just how I've seen it over the years. I don't like it because we don't have an elite QB (though I'm sure we got a couple Favre's year), but that's the way it is. If we had an elite guy and there was a play like that I'd swear up and down the pass would have been completed if not for the contact.

My biggest problem with the elite's are when the QB gets knocked down... They do seem to get more Roughing the passer calls on borderline plays. Which sucks.

I wish the NFL would allow reviews of penalties. Not that it would have helped us yesterday.

Just rewatched the play. The ref who was closer was NOT looking at Wilson, but towards the line and Woodhead coming through the line. So there is no way he could have made that call or overruled the other official since he was not looking at Wilson/Hernandez when the penalty occurred.

Thanks to CBS and their wonderful camera angles, we dont get a clear shot of Wilson committing the penalty. From the Coaches Cam view from atop the stadium, it certainly does look like Wilson is holding Hernandez and not allowing him to get to the ball.

Is that any worse than what took place during the game?? Probably not. One major fault I have with officiating is they officiate to the score/time on the clock and down/distance. Earlier in the game this doesnt get called. 1st or 2nd down this doesnt get called. 3rd down in OT it gets called. It was probably the right call, as Wilson does grab his arm when hernandez tries to get away from Wilson.. but as many have said it HAS to be consistent, and it doesnt seem to be consistent. Is that because its the Pats and hometown refs?? No... but Jet fans will believe it to be. Definitely will help those conspiracy theorists. :-D

We do not get a clear shot of the penalty yet you assume the refs were correct. From what i recall the play happened 4 yards in front of the ref and he had sights on that play. He did not have a bad angle or obstructed view. From you pics I am not sure how you assume the ref was not focused on what was essentially happening in front of him.

We do not get a clear shot of the penalty yet you assume the refs were correct. From what i recall the play happened 4 yards in front of the ref and he had sights on that play. He did not have a bad angle or obstructed view. From you pics I am not sure how you assume the ref was not focused on what was essentially happening in front of him.

Look at the first picture. When Brady is throwing the ball, the ref closest to Wilson is not looking at Wilson/Hernandez. The PI occurred as the ball was coming out. He was watching Woodhead coming through the line. he then turned to Wilson/Hernandez after the ball was thrown and the PI happened.

If you dont see that I cant help you.

I want all the players to shut up. Every god damn play they;re trash talking or whining and crying. Wilson was the only person (besides fans) who thought he was wronged on that play.

Wilson was guilty so the ref 25 yards away called it - complain about something new -like Sanchez

Look at the first picture. When Brady is throwing the ball, the ref closest to Wilson is not looking at Wilson/Hernandez. The PI occurred as the ball was coming out. He was watching Woodhead coming through the line. he then turned to Wilson/Hernandez after the ball was thrown and the PI happened.

If you dont see that I cant help you.

How do you know the PI occurred as the ball was coming out ? At the same time you also say Thanks to CBS and their wonderful camera angles, we dont get a clear shot of Wilson committing the penalty.

Infact down the line in the same drive around the JETS 30 yard line the same play occurred with Kyle Wilson defending it the same way and resulted in an incompletion and this time no flag was thrown.

How do you know the PI occurred as the ball was coming out ? At the same time you also say Thanks to CBS and their wonderful camera angles, we dont get a clear shot of Wilson committing the penalty.

Infact down the line in the same drive around the JETS 30 yard line the same play occurred with Kyle Wilson defending it the same way and resulted in an incompletion and this time no flag was thrown.

Because I saw the coaches cam angle of the play... its posted. You see Wilson begin contact before the ball is released and then grabs his arm when the ball is released.

No sense in arguing with you about this. You'll believe what you want to believe and I'll believe what I saw.

Mark Sanchez did exactly what they've trained him to do since he entered the league. He gave the team a chance to win. He handed things over to the defense with a lead and 1:30 left and they blew it. they lost the game 100 times over today, and I can point to at least three other plays where I wondered WTF was going on. Sanchez didn't do this by himself.

Rex likes the prevent defence in critical situations. W'eve seen it before with the same results. Rex should look in the mirror for this loss.

the refs were atrocious all game long but they were a Stephen Hill drop away from winning. I remember the Pats getting blown out in Pittsburgh despite teh refs completely being in the bag for them (many playoffs ago). My point is that good football can overcome bad refs.

I'd like to replace the REPLACEMENT refs with better decisions by our REAL REFS!

REPLACEMENT refs made their mistakes, but let's not forget that we wanted to tar and feather these REAL refs before "their" freakin' contract dispute.

Some kind of punishment must be doled out to these refs when they make mistakes...especially when they effect a game! We're lucky to get a "my bad" from the Commish after they watch tape.

Hold the refs accountable!!! Come up with a real development league for the refs too!!! You get paid more and get to officiate big games if you're consistently making the correct calls. If you screw up, you go towards the bottom of the pecking order where you belong.

Archived