NFL Will Use Pink Flags In Sunday’s Dolphins-Jets Game

The Gun Of Bavaria

Having lost 3 family members to cancer and having had skin cancer myself, I'm 100% on board with cancer awareness and research....but at some point, this just gets plain silly. I think the players and refs are sufficiently showing their support without the need to modify flag colors.

http://deadspin.com/...dium=socialflow

The NFL Will Use Pink Flags In Sunday’s Dolphins-Jets Game

C:DOCUME~1PatrickSLOCALS~1Tempmsohtml13clip_image002.jpg

Roger Goodell probably gets lots of letters. Written mostly in blood. Mostly others' blood. Sometimes in others' spinal fluid. They go unanswered. But young Dante Cano of Marlboro, N.J. wrote Goodell a respectful letter in presumably impeccable penmanship, and he got results. Cano's letter read,

"My name is Dante Cano. I am 11 years old and I am from Marlboro, New Jersey. I wanted to know if you could use my idea of pink penalty flags in October for breast cancer awareness. Please write back."

Goodell dug it. Cano and the commissioner will meet on Sunday before Dolphins-Jets, and the boy'll give the flags to the refs.

I just think that what they've done is adequate and there is no need to modify game equipment. The support for breast cancer research shown during the game is unparalleled and represented by officials, players, coaches, and sideline staff alike. At some point you have to draw a line and say okay guys, enough is enough.

Pink ball isn't far behind.

oh god i never considered that but the NFL would love it

I honestly think the whole pink fad in the NFL is to try to draw more women into the game....cancer awareness is huge but does it really belong in sports GAMES?

make a few public service announcements with your biggest stars and make a nice donation to several charities and quit with the pink everywhere

just my two cents of sense

At the risk of sounding like Ned Know-It-All, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and the NFL is supporting the Susan G. Komen Foundation in their efforts to fight the disease. This is not a show of support against cancer as much as a show of support for the foundation fighting a specific form of cancer as the pink and the ribbon insignias are trademarks of the foundation. Hence, Pac's comment earlier in the thread is pretty accurate. The NFL, the players and the referees already give big checks to the organization, all the pink stuff just smacks of pandering to the female fan, but I guess it does further the cause.

It really is just the NFL catering to women. I'm 100% for breast cancer awareness and any type of cancer awareness, my problem is not to scale back on breast cancer awareness, but would just like to see equal representation amongst the other cancers. Breast cancer is the third leading killer amongst cancers at roughly 7 percent of cancer related deaths; #1 is Lung cancer, which accounts for almost a third of cancer related deaths and #2 is colon cancer and prostate is right behind breast at #4. Seeing as how every athlete and the majority of fans that are watching are men, wouldn't it make sense to have a few advertisements for prostate awareness month and to have men get their prostate checked? I mean hell, lung cancer accounts for more deaths than the next three combined (colon, breast and prostate), yet you hardly see any real support for that. Once again, I don't want to scale back on breast cancer awareness, although I think the pink flags is kind of overdoing it, but I'd like to see more representation of other cancers. I get that breasts are clearly more marketable than prostate, but it's equally as deadly and the outlook is not too bad so long as men get checked regularly. It'd be nice to see the NFL/major sports and it's sponsors, which are completely male driven, to start prostate awareness.

At this point, I see the pink as represent Cancer as a whole. I realize the Breast Cancer Foundation is specific, but I think it still raises awareness all together potentially making men think about going and getting their prostate checked. Which is a good thing. I'm fortunate, my parents are both survivors therefore it doesnt bother me at all.

I'm sure there is a degree of expanding the brand and their market involved as well, but the bigger impact is if it saved some childs parents because they saw pink on the field and thought it was wise to get checked.

At this point, I see the pink as represent Cancer as a whole. I realize the Breast Cancer Foundation is specific, but I think it still raises awareness all together potentially making men think about going and getting their prostate checked. Which is a good thing. I'm fortunate, my parents are both survivors therefore it doesnt bother me at all.

I really thought you were gonna say that you're fortunate because you like having your prostate checked there. Totally took me by surprise.

Happy for you and your parents, though. :)

Cancer had a hand in taking my father out.

Archived