Home|Sports|Vikings

Charges in Vikings boat party may be revealed today

Last update: December 15, 2005 at 5:08 AM

Printer friendly E-mail this story Vikings

Vikings looking for a little respect

Charges in Vikings boat party may be revealed today

Vikings: It's time for the offense to stand and deliver

Vikings: Sadness behind, rookie emerges on line

Misdemeanor charges could come today against Minnesota Vikings players involved in the alleged sex party on Lake Minnetonka in early October. But no players will face federal charges from the party, which boat crew members said included women who were paid to come to Minnesota from other states for the party.

U.S. Attorney Tom Heffelfinger said Wednesday night that federal officials had reviewed evidence collected by the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office and on Monday sent a letter saying there was insufficient evidence to file charges. The review included any violation of the Mann Act, which forbids the interstate transportation of anyone for immoral purposes, including prostitution, he said.

Kevin Warren, Vikings vice president of operations and legal counsel, said Wednesday night that team officials also had heard rumors of a potential decision, but said he was not aware of plans to announce charges today.

Two weeks ago, detectives presented a file to prosecutor Steve Tallen for his decision on whether anyone should be charged with a misdemeanor for actions at the raucous Oct. 6 party.

Employees of a charter boat company identified 17 Vikings players among the approximately 90 guests on two boats chartered for the party, and the company's attorney has said players participated in lewd behavior.

Tallen couldn't be reached for comment Wednesday.

I was talking about the "professionals" :roll: Unless, of course, there is something going on

'round here that I am not privy to. Which, historically speaking, isn't likely. :lol:

For the record....I know I let JoeBaby post that thread here and invite everyone. BUT, if I were going to the game I would not be attending that tailgate.

Four Vikings charged with party boat misdemeanorsAssociated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- Quarterback Daunte Culpepper and three other Minnesota Vikings were charged Thursday with three misdemeanors each for taking part in a bawdy boat party earlier this season on Lake Minnetonka.

Culpepper, Bryant McKinnie, Fred Smoot and Moe Williams were charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct, according to court papers.

If convicted, each player faces a maximum of 90 days in jail on each count.

Prosecutor Steve Tallen's decision was based on findings by the Hennepin County sheriff's office, whose investigators reviewed allegations of lewd and drunken behavior aboard a floating party Oct. 6 that involved some Vikings players.

Crew members complained that some people took off their clothes and engaged in public sex acts during the cruise, according to Stephen Doyle, an attorney representing the boat owners, Al & Alma's Supper Club and Charter Cruises in Mound. The crew members identified 17 Vikings among about 90 people on the two boats.

The court papers released Thursday said Smoot and defensive end Lance Johnstone arranged the charter.

Vikings coach Mike Tice was careful with his reaction.

"According to NFL rules and union contracts, there is a large difference between allegations and charges and convictions," Tice said just before his routine news conference. "So until at any point there is a conviction of some type, if there is, I have no action to take and nothing to say."

After that, Tice threatened to stop talking to reporters if anyone asked more questions about the allegations.

Reports that some women at the party were paid to come from Minnesota had raised the possibility of federal charges, but U.S. Attorney Tom Heffelfinger said Thursday that no such charges would be brought. Heffelfinger cited insufficient evidence.

That decision, along with sheriff's decision to send the case to Tallen's office, meant any charges would be minor. Tallen is the prosecuting attorney for the Lake Minnetonka Conservation District, which handles nonfelony crimes committed on the big lake just west of Minneapolis.

The boat scandal hit the Vikings when they were already reeling, off to a 1-3 start, and made them the object of national ridicule on late-night TV and cable sports channels. New owner Zygi Wilf, who had been seeking state help for a new stadium, responded forcefully, apologizing to Gov. Tim Pawlenty and other state officials and instituting a new code of conduct.

The team has since recovered on the field and, with quarterback Brad Johnson replacing the injured Culpepper, reeled off six straight wins to become a playoff contender at 8-5.

This is the latest on Vikings and their sexcapades

For the record....I know I let JoeBaby post that thread here and invite everyone. BUT, if I were going to the game I would not be attending that tailgate.

That is incredible. Mrs Maxman is talking, but the words are coming out of Max's mouth...amazing!!

03_1101_SmothersBros005.jpg

Archived