Hurricane Sandy

Jetsfan80

I'm going to pin this until the storm is over. It can be a place to check in and let everyone know you're okay or let everyone know how things are.

That is, until you lose power or the internet.

Stay safe everyone.

If you're a first responder, utility worker, or someone else that has to face the elements as part of their job, stay safe.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F**k the damned hurricane, I've had to change my flight to Sunday to get out, because I can't risk getting delayed returning to Ireland. No Jets-Fish game for me now. Absolutely gutted.

Sandy saved you, m8!!

jk, sorry you had to head back sooner. Hope you didn't get raped by the airline to change flights!

Well this storm is going to be interesting. Just waiting for the power to go out and the basement to flood.

Watching the trees in the back yard...my son and I were just taking bets on which ones were going to get knocked down.

I work for the local electric company. Storms like this are extremely political here, and everyone gets nervous. The result is paying out a ton of unnecessary overtime so they can announce on cable news the number of people they have ready to go at any given time.

I'm in Jersey now working with a storm team out of the Carolinas, hope everyone stays safe but this one looks like it could be a wild ride.

CL&P's CEO lost his job over the october snow storm lasty year. this years CEO put out the word on local radio that they already requested 2,000 lineman and 700 tree crews from out west. he is in total CYA mode.

with that said, being out of power for 9 days becuase he wanted to save money last year was a big problem around here. it got very cold with all that snow.

we don't know if the over time is a waste or not yet, but better to be ready than get caught with your pants down

I worked that storm too. What amazed the workers from the south was how poorly the power companies maintained the power line easements both in Connecticut and in Pennsylvania (I was there for Hurricane Irene). It goes back to what Slats said where the property owners exert pressure to keep their trees from being cut. Then when those branches come down in a storm they always land on power lines.

My coworkers' son, like a jackass, went out with a buddy in kayaks early this morning to take some pictures. He's gone missing. They found the other dude floating a mile out and just called off the search for my coworkers' kid. Horrible. These dicks out there surfing should realize that they're going to create copycats. It doesn't excuse the kid from being dumb, but it sucks nonetheless.

My coworkers' son, like a jackass, went out with a buddy in kayaks early this morning to take some pictures. He's gone missing. They found the other dude floating a mile out and just called off the search for my coworkers' kid. Horrible. These dicks out there surfing should realize that they're going to create copycats. It doesn't excuse the kid from being dumb, but it sucks nonetheless.

My grandparents are in Jersey City and refused to evacuate after the mayor ordered it. Thankfully my old man knows the chief of police and asked him to have a patrol car head over there to shoot it to them straight. They were legitimately operating under the assumption that if things started to get bad they'd just be able to leave then.

My grandparents are in Jersey City and refused to evacuate after the mayor ordered it. Thankfully my old man knows the chief of police and asked him to have a patrol car head over there to shoot it to them straight. They were legitimately operating under the assumption that if things started to get bad they'd just be able to leave then.

Glad they got out, man. I really blame the media for this type of sh*t. They cry wolf every time there's a thunderstorm, so people get all kinds of complacent. Now, the height of the storm is 4 hours away and it looks like the whole freaking coast is gonna be underwater.

I'm in Jersey now working with a storm team out of the Carolinas, hope everyone stays safe but this one looks like it could be a wild ride.

I worked that storm too. What amazed the workers from the south was how poorly the power companies maintained the power line easements both in Connecticut and in Pennsylvania (I was there for Hurricane Irene). It goes back to what Slats said where the property owners exert pressure to keep their trees from being cut. Then when those branches come down in a storm they always land on power lines.

I talked to a few lineman, from ohio or florida maybe, and they said the same thing. people cry bloody murder about the trees and in CT everyone has about 70 on their property

nuts

there was a pretty good effort to trim the last 6 months, but this storm will be more entire trees uprooting than branches coming down

I had to work today, just got home. only people on the roads were cable crews, town workers and electricians and propane guys (because of generators)

got a nice tip from 2 people, but the winds started picking up and we called it a day

kudos to any lineman who brave these elements

Glad they got out, man. I really blame the media for this type of sh*t. They cry wolf every time there's a thunderstorm, so people get all kinds of complacent. Now, the height of the storm is 4 hours away and it looks like the whole freaking coast is gonna be underwater.

All you have to do is live through one or two or three of these things up close and personal to not let anyone sway you from what you already know to be true, that these things are killers, scary and devastating-us Floridians know better

That sh*t has made national news. Hope he's ok but you and I both know how it ends.

wow i got lucky great time for me to knock down my shorehouse. Brigantine is under water. Its just a slab of concrete now nothing to break.

Stayed at a condo there last year -- shame -- real nice place

Been thru a couple Hurricanes myself no joy -- My thoughts and prayers with all involved --

Just got off duty after a 14-1/2 hour shift. Patrolling was serious sh*t tonight. Trees on houses. Hot power lines. Telephone poles down power out Traffic lights out. Nearly got it from a big tree limb. People are freaked and the freakin wind is relentless. I'm tired. Bourbon. Beef stew. Bed.

Stay safe, bro.

Archived