Hurricane Sandy

Jetsfan80

Hey i just talked to a friend of mine who is related to a girl who's boyfriend or husband is up there in Long Island from Lakeland Florida who had his jaw

broken by a LI resident who was pissed it was taking so long to get power back on..

Our guys are up there to help, seems like people could pass the word not to beat them up.. if it was me, I would pull every truck sent up there after something like that.

**** a bunch of ungrateful pos.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey i just talked to a friend of mine who is related to a girl who's boyfriend or husband is up there in Long Island from Lakeland Florida who had his jaw

broken by a LI resident who was pissed it was taking so long to get power back on..

Our guys are up there to help, seems like people could pass the word not to beat them up.. if it was me, I would pull every truck sent up there after something like that.

Yes, some tale that you heard from your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate is indicative of how everyone acts up here. I'm sure the state of Florida is completely devoid of ***holes.

The out of state workers are being treated very well from everything I can see. I know so many people that are buying them lunch, thanking them etc. People here are appreciative. I am not sure I always believe 3rd hand stories. Hopefully that didn't really happen but if it did whoever did it is clearly wrong and in the minority about how people feel up here.

On Saturday there were so many volunteers and military that they had to stop the inflow because nobody could get onto the pennisula(there really are only 2 bridges going into Rockaway( unless you enter from 5 towns into Far Rock). I have seen a lot of bad stuff, but the one great thing is people are helping each other in ways great and small. LIPA is incompetent but these out of state utlilty stories seem to be a myth.

On Saturday there were so many volunteers and military that they had to stop the inflow because nobody could get onto the pennisula(there really are only 2 bridges going into Rockaway( unless you enter from 5 towns into Far Rock). I have seen a lot of bad stuff, but the one great thing is people are helping each other in ways great and small. LIPA is incompetent but these out of state utlilty stories seem to be a myth.

Did you see the Rockaway segment on 60 minutes last night? So touching. If there was any doubt where the bravest and strongest live...I think that has been answered. :)

What an amazing community.

Every major substation on the Rockaway peninsula was under water. That equipment is really not designed to soak in salt water. Plus, wires are down on nearly every circuit, generally multiple wires per circuit. Two substations had to be temporarily (or perhaps permanently) abandoned. For the others, rack trucks of 200-800lb breakers were removed and brought to a contractor who claims he can clean them and make them work, while the permanent equipment is cleaned and/or replaced by workers in the subs. The work is extensive and tedious, being performed by people forced to work 16 hour shifts to restore power far from home, who are often coming home to their own dark houses because 80% of the company's workforce is servicing less than 10% of its customers out there.

This storm was completely unprecedented. Nothing like it ever hit the Island before. And the scary thing is, this storm didn't even hit the island. We always have some longer duration outages as a result of the overhead/backyard system we run, but never had anything like this before.

The same gov't officials who are getting on the TV to "hold LIPA accountable," we're in on meetings where LIPA outlined their storm plans and the gov't signed off on them before the storm. LIPA is a gov't agency. These are just a$$holes looking to score political points in a crisis, from the governor on down. In reality, they're doing jacksh*t.

I didn't hear "broken jaw," but unfortunately I did hear something about this incident as well. Tensions are high, largely because people aren't seeing crews in their areas at all. My understanding is that there was some verbal barbs thrown the way of the linemen, and they responded loudly and angrily. Not to blame the victim, but had they just responded sympathetically with a, "hey, we're doing all we can," this incident could've been avoided. Again, never heard of anything like this happening here before. Little doubt there were multiple a$$holes involved.

Yes, some tale that you heard from your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate is indicative of how everyone acts up here. I'm sure the state of Florida is completely devoid of ***holes.

Here is the article.. sorry if I happened to know someone that was injured while attempting to help..

http://www.theledger.com/article/20121112/NEWS/121119839?tc=cr

You also have to take into account that a lot many people have no power and so no TeeVee and hence they might just be using their reality show harvested imagination!

Every major substation on the Rockaway peninsula was under water. That equipment is really not designed to soak in salt water. Plus, wires are down on nearly every circuit, generally multiple wires per circuit. Two substations had to be temporarily (or perhaps permanently) abandoned. For the others, rack trucks of 200-800lb breakers were removed and brought to a contractor who claims he can clean them and make them work, while the permanent equipment is cleaned and/or replaced by workers in the subs. The work is extensive and tedious, being performed by people forced to work 16 hour shifts to restore power far from home, who are often coming home to their own dark houses because 80% of the company's workforce is servicing less than 10% of its customers out there.

This storm was completely unprecedented. Nothing like it ever hit the Island before. And the scary thing is, this storm didn't even hit the island. We always have some longer duration outages as a result of the overhead/backyard system we run, but never had anything like this before.

The same gov't officials who are getting on the TV to "hold LIPA accountable," we're in on meetings where LIPA outlined their storm plans and the gov't signed off on them before the storm. LIPA is a gov't agency. These are just a$$holes looking to score political points in a crisis, from the governor on down. In reality, they're doing jacksh*t.

Cuomo is in fact LIPA's boss, a move his dad pulled after he shut down Shoreham. Readily acknowledge politicians are always looking to make points. The gas situationisi driven by the fact that pols don't like have gas terminals anywhere near any of us, nor refineries near NYC, nor terminals, to say nothng of drilling. Oil companies may be evil, but we need them a lot more than bike lanes.Which is all fine and good and "enviro-nice", except when gas supply becomes an issue. Now government,a fter calling these people devils and making their business difficult, wants them now to jump through hoops government created to evade the framework that makes doing business a pain in the ass in the first place.

Serious Jets-related question: Has Woody done anything for the Sandy survivors in NY/NJ?

The Knicks, Giants, Yanks, and Nets have come out strong in the relief effort, especially the Knicks with their fundraisers and food effort in the Rockaways.

But I haven't heard anything about the Jets. Has Woody been so concerned with the Romney campaign that he hasn't been involved?

While I haven't heard anything about the Jets that doesn't mean they haven't done anything. I just haven't heard of it.

Anyone have info on this?

Serious Jets-related question: Has Woody done anything for the Sandy survivors in NY/NJ?

The Knicks, Giants, Yanks, and Nets have come out strong in the relief effort, especially the Knicks with their fundraisers and food effort in the Rockaways.

But I haven't heard anything about the Jets. Has Woody been so concerned with the Romney campaign that he hasn't been involved?

While I haven't heard anything about the Jets that doesn't mean they haven't done anything. I just haven't heard of it.

Anyone have info on this?

True story, during the bye Sunday me and my guys spent 13 hours cooking and handing out food from my tailgate trailer. Had jets flags up and we were all in our jets gear like a regular gameday tailgate. A LOT of people asked if we were with the Jets, I am sure many more who didn't ask just figured the same, lol.

Archived