Is your opinion of Verlander different after last night?

Blackout

I think it ABSOLUTELY diminishes is overall aura. How could anyone say differently? Did you guys forget what makes America...America? Fair or not it's the truth. Verlander may go down as a great but he will never be immortalized as an ALL TIME great with that WS record. Sorry.

True but he has plenty of years ahead of him to turn it around.

Tigers don't sniff the World Series or even the playoffs without him. It's asinine to think a handful of games make a difference in the bigger picture.

Agree but I think what Blackout means is if Verlander retired with these numbers you would always have a portion of fans who would point to his WS numbers when debating him against say a Jack Morris or John Smoltz.

Agree but I think what Blackout means is if Verlander retired with these numbers you would always have a portion of fans who would point to his WS numbers when debating him against say a Jack Morris or John Smoltz.

Well that portion of fans would be making a bad argument. Morris was very clutch, but Verlander will probably have a better career. I don't think Verlander will top Smoltz's resume though.

Tigers don't sniff the World Series or even the playoffs without him. It's asinine to think a handful of games make a difference in the bigger picture.

As it stands now I think it absolutely does. Does he have to be Koufax (0.95 ERA in 4 world series)? No, you can look at Randy Johnson, who went through a 0-6 postseason stretch, however Johnson also has a World Series MVP to his name. There will definitely be a blemish next to Verlander's name until he can redeem himself on the big stage. Does it hurt HOF chances, no, he's obviously a great pitcher, but I think it hurts his "aura" as an all time immortal. Seaver's only like 1-2 but has a, I think, 2.70 ERA. I'm not saying you need to be perfect but he's got to at least have 1 shining moment imo. Not always fair but I think it's true.

As it stands now I think it absolutely does. Does he have to be Koufax (0.95 ERA in 4 world series)? No, you can look at Randy Johnson, who went through a 0-6 postseason stretch, however Johnson also has a World Series MVP to his name. There will definitely be a blemish next to Verlander's name until he can redeem himself on the big stage. Does it hurt HOF chances, no, he's obviously a great pitcher, but I think it hurts his "aura" as an all time immortal. Seaver's only like 1-2 but has a, I think, 2.70 ERA. I'm not saying you need to be perfect but he's got to at least have 1 shining moment imo. Not always fair but I think it's true.

I disagree. Rings don't really mean much in baseball. If we were talking about a basketball player, you might have a point. Ted Williams never won a ring and was pretty bad in the one World Series he played in. He's still one of the best hitters of all time.

Lol.

I agree with wombat, it does not matter as much.

Ted Wlliams never won and he can make an argument for being the greatest ever. Ernie Banks. Griffey. Gwynn.

I think the dynamic might have shifted a tad, but unlike basketball where it is uber important, it is less so in baseball.

I agree with wombat, it does not matter as much.

Ted Wlliams never won and he can make an argument for being the greatest ever. Ernie Banks. Griffey. Gwynn.

I think the dynamic might have shifted a tad, but unlike basketball where it is uber important, it is less so in baseball.

Ruth, Mays, Aaron, Mantle, and Gehrig > Williams, Cobb, Banks, Griffey Jr and Gwynn

Archived