" Fixing jets' QB mess must come in next draft " ~ ~ ~

kelly

The New York Jets need to move on from their $58 million mistake after 2012. That's the value of the new five-year contract quarterback Mark Sanchez signed in March, with $20 million guaranteed.Eight months later, it's safe to say the team is getting little to no return on its investment.

Further evidence was seen in Sunday's devastating 30-9 home loss to the Dolphins, an AFC East rival whom the Jets beat in overtime in Week 3. Sanchez committed more two turnovers, bringing his season total to 11. The devil is in the details—it was the fifth time his passing efficiency rating couldn't break 66.6.There have been the few super-efficient games against bad defenses where Jets officials remain convinced that Sanchez can be more Jekyll than Hyde in the short term. But it's time they removed the mask over their eyes to see that he just isn't a franchise quarterback long-term.

Coach Rex Ryan still believes in Sanchez as a winner, even though at 3-5, the Jets have a record worse than 11 of 16 other AFC teams going into their Week 9 bye.Ryan's argument, and it's a fair one, is that the Jets' offensive problems are a lot more disconcerting than who's under center. The quarterback has gotten little help from the pass protection and the running game, and has to adjust to a receiving corps depleted by injury.The coach also is in a difficult place. There's no quick fix for Sanchez and what's happening around him. Given the recent front-office commitment to Sanchez, it's only natural if Ryan is compelled to honor it as much as possible.Ryan told reporters Monday that he won't be replacing Sanchez with Tim Tebow for Week 10's game in Seattle."I think Mark gives us the best chance to win," Ryan said. "That's how I feel. Can Tim be successful? Yeah, absolutely. We’ll look at that as well."But in my opinion, Mark as the starting quarterback gives my football team the best chance to win."

The worst thing to have in the NFL is false hope. The parity in the AFC playoff race is making many teams feel like a wild-card contender. The Jets are one of those masquerading as a mediocre team, when they're on the brink of being a bad one with Sanchez.Ryan's hands are tied because there's the stark realization the Jets can't be much better with Tebow. Even with their offense struggling while Sanchez is the starter, they refuse to use Tebow more than a handful of times per game. They don't know even how to play Tebow in a complementary, Wildcat-type role, so what reason is there to think they'll be effective with him full-time while further limiting their passing playbook ? It's unfair to throw in Tebow now and ask him to bless this mess. Three of the next four games come against well-coached brutal defenses from the NFC West—the Seahawks, Rams and Cardinals. The other is against another AFC East rival that has Tebow pretty well figured out by now—the Patriots.

So here it is for Sanchez. Ryan's endorsement of him came backed by the fact the Jets can still sneak into the playoffs with a sudden second-half surge. This next quarter-stretch of the season is built to make him for now or break him for good.Given the matchups and how Sanchez is playing, the latter is the likely scenario, and it may be what it takes to finally make Ryan and Jets accept Sanchez isn't the right man to lead them on the field.It will be hard to accept that just four years after the Jets drafted Sanchez fifth overall, they will need to select a quarterback around the same spot in 2013. But look at the two other quarterbacks taken in the first round of 2009—Detroit's Matthew Stafford and Tampa Bay's Josh Freeman. Stafford already had his breakout season in 2011 and has gotten back in track this year. Freeman looks like he's putting it all together this season.Given the recent, quick success of high-profile young quarterbacks, those who have promise, like Sanchez once did, have a smaller window to show they can live up to their talents.

This year's rookie class is off to a flying start, and next April will offer more intriguing options, such as Southern Cal's Matt Barkley, West Virginia's Geno Smith and Arkansas' Tyler Wilson. All those choices, even going down the Trojans route again with Barkley, are good opportunities to move past Sanchez.The Jets have let their messy quarterback situation fester for so long that turning desperately to Tebow can no longer save their season, but rather just put a bandage on a much bigger wound. For the sake of the franchise beyond 2012, Gang Green must wave the white flag on the Sanchise.

> http://aol.sportingn...-2013-nfl-draft

Nah...talked to Rex, and he says there are some very good defensive prospects in the 2013 Draft...have to have Top 5 defense in the NFL..."it speaks to my core" Marky Mark...full vote of confidence..."Fukk yeah Dirty gives us the best chance to win".

Seriously entertaining commentary as of late...better than the product on Sunday...but hey at least we have some drama the rest of the week.

Nah...talked to Rex, and he says there are some very good defensive prospects in the 2013 Draft...have to have Top 5 defense in the NFL..."it speaks to my core" Marky Mark...full vote of confidence..."Fukk yeah Dirty gives us the best chance to win".

Seriously entertaining commentary as of late...better than the product on Sunday...but hey at least we have some drama the rest of the week.

we're gonna have LOTS of drama...&....for ALOT longer than a week :winking0001:

NO, the qb class this year is looking bad. I have a horrible feeling about this draft class and especially since we came off a very phenomenal draft class. Plus, we have other alarming needs on our team, right now our team definitely needs a qb, but we need to shore up the rest of the team before we even think about drafting a qb in the first round.

NO, the qb class this year is looking bad. I have a horrible feeling about this draft class and especially since we came off a very phenomenal draft class. Plus, we have other alarming needs on our team, right now our team definitely needs a qb, but we need to shore up the rest of the team before we even think about drafting a qb in the first round.

This draft class is going to be one of the best in recent memory as far as interior lineman on both sides of the ball; a couple of very top notch OG and DT prospects as well as a handful of OLBs that could go in the top 15. I would not at all be surprised to see 4 OLBs and 2 DTs in the top 10. I know we need to build our team up, clearly, but I have this awful feeling that Smith will fall to wherever we draft and we'll pass on him as to not further cripple the mental midget even further. That and they seriously believe if we surround him with enough talent he can still turn the corner, which leads me to believe that Warmack is going to be our pick, especially considering how much they liked DeCastro last year.

My next question is what if we're sitting with a top 10 pick and a guy like Star falls? Do you pass up the next Ngata, as we already have spent the last two first rounders on dlineman, and go for someone like Mingo or Montgomery (assuming jarvis is off the board)?? Since we most likely won't address the QB position, our two biggest areas are OLB and interior lineman; thankfully both are going to be available in the first round. Jarvis Jones is ideal, but would settle for Monty or Mingo if we had to. Will certainly be interesting.

This draft class is going to be one of the best in recent memory as far as interior lineman on both sides of the ball; a couple of very top notch OG and DT prospects as well as a handful of OLBs that could go in the top 15. I would not at all be surprised to see 4 OLBs and 2 DTs in the top 10. I know we need to build our team up, clearly, but I have this awful feeling that Smith will fall to wherever we draft and we'll pass on him as to not further cripple the mental midget even further. That and they seriously believe if we surround him with enough talent he can still turn the corner, which leads me to believe that Warmack is going to be our pick, especially considering how much they liked DeCastro last year.

My next question is what if we're sitting with a top 10 pick and a guy like Star falls? Do you pass up the next Ngata, as we already have spent the last two first rounders on dlineman, and go for someone like Mingo or Montgomery (assuming jarvis is off the board)?? Since we most likely won't address the QB position, our two biggest areas are OLB and interior lineman; thankfully both are going to be available in the first round. Jarvis Jones is ideal, but would settle for Monty or Mingo if we had to. Will certainly be interesting.

Mingo or Jones. We need pass rushers, badly. All the QB's suck next draft. I wouldnt touch any of them except maybe Smith.

Mingo or Jones. We need pass rushers, badly. All the QB's suck next draft. I wouldnt touch any of them except maybe Smith.

Since I have not been following college the last few years if you say the QB's are not up to par in this years draft the worst thing the Jets can do is force the issue. They should continue building the team and get a QB the following year. No matter what people say about McElroy we still need to get him in some games to see what we have. Doing this is not only to see if hes starting caliber its to see if hes even second srting caliber. Not knowing should never be an option. All that being said I dont want Tanny or Rex near next years draft. This teams biggest weaknesses are at LB RB and WR fill those holes and we will see some improvement

Obviously being an LSU fan I love them both, as well as eric reid, so in an effort to not be biased I tend to judge these guys more critically than others, which usually ends up me feeling they aren't worth a top 15 grade. They both most likely are, with Mingo being the better pure athlete and pass-rushing special OLB we need, whereas Monty is more like a much better version of what Pace should have been. Clearly Jarvis Jones is ideal, but if we can't land him I'm all for the other two. I've also been on the same train as you the last couple years and believe we should just double/triple up on OLBs and OGs and hope they stick. Go for someone who will remind everyone of JPP in the Ansah kid out of BYU. We need OLBs and guys who can get to the QB and I have zero problem taking a couple of them this year, as well as a couple OGs.

Obviously being an LSU fan I love them both, as well as eric reid, so in an effort to not be biased I tend to judge these guys more critically than others, which usually ends up me feeling they aren't worth a top 15 grade. They both most likely are, with Mingo being the better pure athlete and pass-rushing special OLB we need, whereas Monty is more like a much better version of what Pace should have been. Clearly Jarvis Jones is ideal, but if we can't land him I'm all for the other two. I've also been on the same train as you the last couple years and believe we should just double/triple up on OLBs and OGs and hope they stick. Go for someone who will remind everyone of JPP in the Ansah kid out of BYU. We need OLBs and guys who can get to the QB and I have zero problem taking a couple of them this year, as well as a couple OGs.

rolltide mon

Since I have not been following college the last few years if you say the QB's are not up to par in this years draft the worst thing the Jets can do is force the issue. They should continue building the team and get a QB the following year. No matter what people say about McElroy we still need to get him in some games to see what we have. Doing this is not only to see if hes starting caliber its to see if hes even second srting caliber. Not knowing should never be an option. All that being said I dont want Tanny or Rex near next years draft. This teams biggest weaknesses are at LB RB and WR fill those holes and we will see some improvement

McElroy would be Chad Pennington part II but worse. You'd love him.

The way this season is going, Jones might be readily available. I'd be happy with Mingo. sh*t, I'd be happy.

This is ****ing sad.

McElroy would be Chad Pennington part II but worse. You'd love him.

The way this season is going, Jones might be readily available. I'd be happy with Mingo. sh*t, I'd be happy.

This is ****ing sad.

Right now we don't suck enough...currently #13 on the draft board...

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

this article ignores the fact that Sanchez is due a huge amount of money in 2013. he gets this season and next, whether we agree with it or not.

if you look at the coaching change, giving him 2 years to learn Sparano's system is probably a safe call. No upside in throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

In this scenario, what is the "bathwater" that we're throwing out, exactly?

here's a question if Tanny picked Mark, do we trust him to pick the next one? Or are we expecting Woody to clean house and _then_ pick another QB?

it will happen, just not until after 2013.

here's a question if Tanny picked Mark, do we trust him to pick the next one? Or are we expecting Woody to clean house and _then_ pick another QB?

So you're saying we should throw out the bathwater (which is the GM, who's getting fired because he drafted a terrible QB), but not the baby (which is the QB who's so terrible he's getting a GM fired).

The Reasons to Stick With Mark Sanchez

The Jets won't make a quarterback change and we take a look at why

You get the feeling that the Jets might have dodged a little bit of a bullet this week with the arrival of Sandy.With the arrival of a real disaster, there's no time or inclination to spend much time screaming about a sports one so Sunday's blowout loss to the Dolphins and the team's subsequent decision to stick with Mark Sanchez at quarterback were merely acknowledged. That's exactly as it should be and not just because of the massive gulf of importance between storms and football.The other reason is because it is very easy to understand why the Jets aren't making a change at quarterback even though the bye week would be the perfect time to switch gears to Tim Tebow. We've laid out a few of the reasons why the Jets have decided to keep rolling with Sanchez, along with counterpoints to each of them should you feel the need to fuel a movement to get the Jets to move on from their former golden boy as he scuffles the way through his fourth year.

1. It's Not All His Fault - This is something that comes up often when Rex Ryan and Tony Sparano talk about Sanchez's play and you certainly can't fault its honesty. The line has had its struggles, the running game has been quieter than anyone might have liked and Stephen Hill, Mike Tannenbaum's big second-round pick to help the passing game, can't catch the ball.This certainly isn't a case of Sanchez driving a fully loaded Ferrari into the embankment. No one would blame Martin Scorsese for making a bad movie while using a cast and crew made up of third graders.

Counterpoint - Quarterbacks have raised the level of play among their teammates plenty of times in the history of the NFL and they continue to do it today. Sanchez isn't solely to blame for what's gone wrong, but there's not much positive to be said about a quarterback who can't succeed unless conditions are absolutely perfect.

2. Progress - Another constant line from the coaches is that Sanchez is showing improvement at this or that part of his game. It usually goes hand in hand with it not all being his fault.

Counterpoint - There's no statistical evidence that Sanchez is getting better. You'd be hard-pressed to sell claims that watching him play leaves a different impression.

3. Stubborn Rex - If Ryan pulls the plug now, he knows that there will be no way to go back to Sanchez and no way to get back whatever he loses in terms of credibility after such full-throated support of Sanchez over the years. Call it loyalty if you prefer a more positive spin, but there's no question that Rex would be more exposed without Sanchez out front to take hits for him.

Counterpoint - Good coaches don't worry about possible credibility loss (they don't overpromise at every turn either) because they know when changes have to be made. The less charitable spin is that Rex is using Sanchez as protection for himself.

4. The Tebow Conundrum - Putting Tebow into the starting lineup and watching him pull off another winning streak like last year would make it very difficult for the Jets to enter next season (barring Peyton Manning hitting the market again) without any quarterback other than Tebow as their starter. Like plenty of others, Ryan and Sparano don't seem to think that's a viable long-term strategy and that might be pushing them to resist a player who was obviously forced upon them in the first place.

Counterpoint - You aren't winning. Change that now and worry about the rest later.

Josh Alper is also a writer for Pro Football Talk. You can follow him on Twitter.

> http://www.nbcnewyor...-176571551.html

So you're saying we should throw out the bathwater (which is the GM, who's getting fired because he drafted a terrible QB), but not the baby (which is the QB who's so terrible he's getting a GM fired).

Better than farting in the bathe and calling it a spa. Like we are doing now.

this article ignores the fact that Sanchez is due a huge amount of money in 2013. he gets this season and next, whether we agree with it or not.

if you look at the coaching change, giving him 2 years to learn Sparano's system is probably a safe call. No upside in throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Soprano is a joke mon, Bill Walsh couldnt help MS

Woody, Tanny and Rex picked Sanchez.

They all went out to Cali pre draft to meet Sanchez and Woody was said to have fallen in love with him.

Three ways to use Tim Tebow better

I know what you’re thinking.

Everyone who reads the AFC East blog wants to know how the New York Jets will use better Tim Tebow better, right ?

The popular backup quarterback has been a virtual non-factor offensively in the first half of the season. Tebow’s Wildcat package has been a bust both on the ground and through the air.New York’s brain trust had the bye week to figure this out. Jets head coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Tony Sparano vowed before the bye that New York would increase Tebow’s production in the second half of the season.

The AFC East blog has three suggestions for Tebow and the Jets :

No. 1 : Use Tebow at running back

It sounds like a gimmick. But putting Tebow, a career quarterback, at tailback could actually work. The Jets lack depth at running back. New York has a pair of injured running backs in Bilal Powell (shoulder) and Joe McKnight (ankle). Shonn Greene is the unquestioned starter but he occasionally needs a breather. Tebow could add to the pile with several carries a game. He’s a strong runner between the tackles.

No. 2 : Don’t be afraid to play Tebow at QB

I’m not condoning benching Mark Sanchez. The leash is short, but Sanchez probably deserves at least another week or two to show he can turn the Jets around. But New York should not be afraid to let Tebow run the base offense. He comes in for Sanchez several plays a game anyway. Why not let him run New York’s usual plays instead of the gimmick Wildcat?

No. 3 : Tebow the fullback

The Jets have used Tebow a little at H-back, tight end and split him out wide. But none of it worked. Sanchez either refuses to throw to Tebow, even if he’s open, or hits Tebow in the helmet. The Jets should use Tebow more at fullback. He could be a physical blocker and catch passes out of the backfield. This might sound a bit out of left field, but what the Jets were doing with Tebow before didn’t work. Everything should be on the table.

> http://espn.go.com/b...r-use-tim-tebow

Archived