uh…maybe McElroy can play ? ? ?

kelly

He worked very hard in the off season to strenghten his arm. It showed very well in preseason. Go back and review the film. You are wrong in my opinion.

By the way they said the exact same things about Montana and Brady when they came out of college. Ya think that may have turned out OK?

his opinion isnt completly wrong. He wasnt all that in the preseason especially when u consider how he whent against 3rd stringers

I think History has proven that game managers have won just as many SB's with fantastic teams around them as teams who have won SB's with Great QB's and weaknesses on the team never to win one again. Troy Aikman is a great example of a game manager that had a team so loaded with talent and probably the greatest offensive line ever. Troy never lit it up, but he managed well and thats all he needed to do. Terry Bradshaw had some horrible years but the team around him was so superior to everyone else and Terry was so big time in the playoffs they won 4 SB's. Terry however is certainly not close to the talent of a Montana or a Brady or an Elway.

The only really great QB's who won Multiple SB's we're Joe Monatana, Tom Brady, and John Elway and to be honest those guys won with complete teams as well, as great as Elway was he never won the big one until his team was complete with great defense and a loaded offense. I guess what Im trying to say is if you have a talented team all the way around you can win a SB or mutiple SB's with game managers but its very difficult (even if your a great QB) to win a SB with a great QB and holes. Sure you can win 11-13 ball games and impress the fans with superior numbers during the regular season with a great QB but it can catch up to you in the playoffs and it ALWAYS does.

Im done sticking up for Sanchez I think the kid is ruined for a multitude of reasons but I do want to see McElroy play rather than him rot in the back ground. I think he can builf up some strength and probably has so he could be throwing the ball much better at this stage. Give him a shot its stupid to just push him aside like we did with Ratliff. We can argue this point till we're blue in the face but nothing says stupid more than not giving a young player a chance when the guy in front of him is a broken down mess.

I'm not going to stick up for Sanchez, I'm done with that.

But, oh my God, don't ever compare Greg McElroy with Troy Aikman. That's like comparing Roseanne Barr with Marisa Miller. Aikman could take over a game and beat the living daylights out of a team. He had a great arm, was deadly accurate, a great leader and put up good numbers in college. McElroy is none of those things.

If we go for another QB ( and we probably should) get ready for another 4-5 years of rebuilding. It will take at least that long.

But, oh my God, don't ever compare Greg McElroy with Troy Aikman. That's like comparing Roseanne Barr with Marisa Miller. Aikman could take over a game and beat the living daylights out of a team. He had a great arm, was deadly accurate, a great leader and put up good numbers in college. McElroy is none of those things.

If we go for another QB ( and we probably should) get ready for another 4-5 years of rebuilding. It will take at least that long.

where exactly did I compare Greg McElroy to Troy Aikman ??

Which will happen first- they get the toppled crane on 57th street removed, or the Jets win another game?

his opinion isnt completly wrong. He wasnt all that in the preseason especially when u consider how he whent against 3rd stringers

and of course McElroy was playing on our third team. Your point is? I would like to see McElroy playing with our first team before making any judgements. I fail to see how anyone can be critical of him because he played with our third team . Oh he also was able to score a TD. Not too many other Jets QBs did that in preseason! and that was with the third string players blocking for him!

I fail to see how anyone can be critical of him because he played with our third team . Oh he also was able to score a TD. Not too many other Jets QBs did that in preseason!

And the guy who caught the TD, Terence Ganaway, isn't in the league right now.

The idea that McElroy is better than Sanchez (and Tebow) is a conspiracy theory. Like Rex and Tony Sparano would just bury this kid if he was really better.

Jets fans should know how it feels to have a QB who doesn't have the arm strength. Good teams will sit on his short routes and dare him to go deep. We've been down this road. In a super worst case scenario he might win a couple games. but he's not a solution.

The idea that McElroy is better than Sanchez (and Tebow) is a conspiracy theory. Like Rex and Tony Sparano would just bury this kid if he was really better.

The theory isn't that they're burying a superior player out of obstinacy or self-destructiveness. The theory is that they're legitimately too ****ing stupid to evaluate offensive talent.

The theory isn't that they're burying a superior player out of obstinacy or self-destructiveness. The theory is that they're legitimately too ****ing stupid to evaluate offensive talent.

let's assume that's the case, for the sake of discussion.

teams employ teams scouts not just for college talent but also scouting their own and the other teams. If Greg McElroy was really legit, the Jets would know.

I guess we could say the whole scouting dept is incompetent and that would counter my argument

let's assume that's the case, for the sake of discussion.

teams employ teams scouts not just for college talent but also scouting their own and the other teams. If Greg McElroy was really legit, the Jets would know.

I guess we could say the whole scouting dept is incompetent and that would counter my argument

78248947_nodding_gif.gif

As Jetsouth pointed out, everything that makes McElroy a compelling choice is true of Tebow, too. I think the only thing we know about our three QB's is that Sanchez is not the answer. It is time to start investing our efforts in other options.

we all see how Tebow did last year and I don't see him doing much better with his 46.5 cmp%. we don't need someone worse than Sanchez.

all these incomplete passes make me miss good old Chadwick! the ball hardly ever went very far but dammit! it never hit the ground! lol

we all see how Tebow did last year and I don't see him doing much better with his 46.5 cmp%. we don't need someone worse than Sanchez.

all these incomplete passes make me miss good old Chadwick! the ball hardly ever went very far but dammit! it never hit the ground! lol

yeah, I know.. Tebow took a team that had a 1.8% chance of making the playoffs and went anyway.. using his famous Christian Windmill delivery...Dont start telling me it was Prater or

the 25th ranked donkey d that did it..

and of course McElroy was playing on our third team. Your point is? I would like to see McElroy playing with our first team before making any judgements. I fail to see how anyone can be critical of him because he played with our third team . Oh he also was able to score a TD. Not too many other Jets QBs did that in preseason! and that was with the third string players blocking for him!

no one was critical of him except for his flaws coming out of college. I like mcelroy too but i also like a guy who started in the NFL and won a playoff game a whole lot better (tebow). If tebow doesnt do well hell put in mcelroy but i think theres absolutley no reason to start him over tebow..... atleast yet

Jets fans should know how it feels to have a QB who doesn't have the arm strength. Good teams will sit on his short routes and dare him to go deep. We've been down this road. In a super worst case scenario he might win a couple games. but he's not a solution.

There you go again overreacting. Not a soul said McElroy was better then Sanchez. All we have said is the kid should be given a chance. Who knows what we might or might not have in him? You nor I know or don't know if he could be a solution. In the Brady and Bledsoe case, were you in Brady's corner initially? I know that you weren't! But that worked out OK i'd say.

New York Jets third-string quarterback Greg McElroy was selected 208th in the 2011 NFL draft.

The floundering Jets (3-5) may be in need of a quarterback change during this bye week, given how Mark Sanchez has regressed to a career-low 52.9% completion rate while continuing his turnover-prone ways.While most eyes turn to celebrated backup Tim Tebow, replacing Sanchez with one of the few quarterbacks out there who has been even less accurate hardly seems like a solution. But there is another option on the roster—a quarterback whom the Jets drafted for his accurate passing (over 70% completions as a senior) and game managing (career 39-to-10 touchdown-to-interception ratio) in the white-hot college spotlight at Alabama.But many rule out third-stringer Greg McElroy (pictured) because he was so lowly regarded as a prospect, going 208th in the 2011 NFL draft. But since 1995, all 12 similarly lowly drafted (or undrafted) quarterbacks with at least 50 starts have outperformed Sanchez in completion rate and passer rating—many by far.

No one is saying the Jets should expect McElroy to turn into one of the best quarterbacks ever (Tom Brady, drafted 199th overall in 2000) or a borderline Hall of Famer (undrafted Kurt Warner). But nine of the dozen were named to at least one Pro Bowl. Seven—Brady, Warner, Tony Romo, Jeff Garcia, Trent Green, Marc Bulger and Matt Hasselbeck—were awarded multiple times.None stepped right into a starting job as Sanchez did in 2009 as the fifth overall pick. Garcia had to play in Canada for years. Warner famously first toiled in the Arena Football League. Even Brady needed the Jets to knock starter Drew Bledsoe out of action in 2001.So it seems like another thing all these passers have in common is their coaches not knowing what they had until they finally were given a chance to start.

> http://online.wsj.co...SJ_topics_obama

I'm on board.

The problem with this theory is the rest of the league. They have all had a chance to see this kid and his contract is light. If he were worth anythimg. even as a legit 2nd QB, plenty of offers would have been made and we all know Mike T can't resist a trade.

throwing deep has absolutely NOTHING to do with arm strength at all.

Arm Strength comes into play when throwing 10 15 and 20 yard outs which are the toughest throws to make and the easiest to jump if your a DB. Any QB in the NFL can throw the ball 55 + yards without much of a problem so its not where strong arms are judged.

The problem with this theory is the rest of the league. They have all had a chance to see this kid and his contract is light. If he were worth anythimg. even as a legit 2nd QB, plenty of offers would have been made and we all know Mike T can't resist a trade.

McElroy can be worth nothing and still be better than Sanchez and Tebow.

Then wouldn't Tannenbaum have moved him for a couple of big contract guys that are worth nothing?

No. McElroy doesn't have the physical tools to be more than a low-end #2. No one's going to give us anything of value for that. I'm saying he's actually worth more to us because our #1 QB is one of the worst in the league and our #2 QB isn't really a QB at all.

Archived