" 5 reasons the jets should be optimistic " ~ ~ ~

kelly

At 3-5 and in last place in the AFC East, the Jets have a long way to go to get themselves back in the playoff race. But if you're the kind of person who always finds a sliver of light amid darkness, then you're in luck. Here are five reasons to think the Jets can still earn a postseason berth.

1 . Their schedule is pretty much cake. The combined record of the Jets' opponents over the remaining eight games is 27-35, a winning percentage of .435. Just four teams have easier schedules.

2. The rest of the AFC isn't very good. Three teams in the conference—New England, Houston and Baltimore—have a record better than 4-3. There figures to be a cluster of mediocre teams fighting for two wild-card spots.

3. Last season's collapse may have been an anomaly. Over the latter halves of Rex Ryan's first two seasons as their head coach, the Jets went 10-6 (and 4-2 in the playoffs).

4. Tim Tebow remains a possible trump card to play. He did ignite a remarkable reversal for the Denver Broncos last season. If Ryan is desperate enough, he could always make Tebow the starting quarterback.

5. Seriously, Rex. Play Tebow. Otherwise, this whole thing could get very dull very quickly.

—Mike Sielski

> http://online.wsj.co...ss_newyork_main

....and the other view -

Jets a jumbled mess at halfway point

Even before Superstorm Sandy hit the New York-New Jersey area, coach Rex Ryan gave the Jets the week off. They need to come back with renewed purpose, because their season has been spiraling out of control.

New York has lost four of its last five, including embarrassing home routs at the hands of the 49ers and archrival Dolphins. The mistake-prone offense has stagnated, ranking 29th overall, and the defense has been even more of a flop. Usually, Ryan’s defensive units are stingy, sure-tackling and innovative. So far, particularly against the run, they have been sloppy, mistake-prone and even passive.And even the special teams, normally a strength, fell apart against Miami, with a blocked punt for a touchdown, a blocked field goal attempt and the Dolphins recovering an onside kick.So while Ryan expects his players to be frustrated and even angry over their 3-5 record, he also wants them to be focused on creating a different scenario in the second half of the season.“Obviously, I want them to get away,” Ryan said. “When they come back, we have to be all in. The only chance we have is when we’re 100 percent all in and let’s put it all out there. We have no wiggle room. We need to start playing a ton better, and obviously our players know that.“That’s the only thing we can hang our hat on. We have to play better before we can forget about anything. We need to obviously step our game up, without question. I want them to get away and be ready to come back with that mentality.”

Meanwhile, Ryan, offensive coordinator Tony Sparano — who after only eight games on the job already is under fire for his personal groupings, play calling and use (or non-use) of Tim Tebow — defensive coordinator Mike Pettine and special teams coach Mike Westhoff have all kinds of problems to solve.New York’s “Ground and Pound” attack has ground to a halt and been pounded by opponents for much of the season. The Jets rank 16th in yards rushing, hardly where they need to be for a run-oriented offense to succeed. Shonn Greene is averaging only 3.7 yards a carry, a full yard or more below acceptable.Because teams know they can stymie the Jets on the ground, they challenge New York to pass. That’s been a travesty much of the time.Mark Sanchez, whose progression was solid through his first two pro seasons, when the Jets lost in the AFC title game both years, continues to regress. His decision making remains suspect, although his receiving corps, aside from oft-injured tight end Dustin Keller, is either green (rookie Stephen Hill, second-year man Jeremy Kerley, unproven Chaz Schilens) or damaged (Santonio Holmes, out for the year with a left foot injury).Sanchez is fourth from the bottom in league passer rankings (72.8), with his 52.9 completion percentage easily the NFL’s worst. He isn’t getting much protection from an offensive line that also has regressed over the past two seasons, and at times is too easy a target for oncoming pass rushers.But he figures to remain the starting quarterback because backup Tebow barely has any role, and even with Sanchez struggling the Jets seem loathe to turn to Tebow for anything more than gimmick plays.

“I think we’re going to take a hard look at how we’re using him,” Ryan said of Tebow, who has rushed 23 times, thrown three passes and been a regular only as a punt protector. “Of what we’re asking him to do, are there other things we can do with him ? ”

One thing they won’t do with Tebow yet is have him supplant Sanchez.

“I think, right now I’m extremely confident that ... if it was one guy I think that’s easy to say, we’d make that change,” Ryan said. “But I think Mark gives us the best chance to win. That’s how I feel. Can Tim be successful? Yeah, absolutely, and we need to look at that as well. In my opinion, Mark as the starting quarterback gives my football team the best chance to win.”But only with more support. A lot more support.And the defense, Ryan’s pride and joy, has been a sieve at times. Yes, the Jets’ best player, star cornerback Darrelle Revis, is gone with a torn knee ligament, and there have been other troubling injuries. But to see submissiveness from a Ryan D is stunning, and that’s what has happened several times in 2012.The team has only 12 sacks, ranks 29th against the run, allowing 141 yards a game, and is vulnerable in the red zone.“We need to look at things and that’s it,” Ryan said. “Is it little changes? Is it radical changes? I’m up for any suggestion. We have to get better. We know that.”They also know the kick teams must improve. For years under Westhoff, the Jets have excelled in that area. But the Dolphins showed that New York’s special teams are anything but special right now.“That’s one of the things that is really odd, because I know the pride we take in that unit,” Ryan said. “You make a mistake on special teams and it ends up costing you.”One question raised consistently during the week has been if such mediocrity through the rest of the schedule will cost Ryan or general manager Mike Tannebaum their jobs. Ryan will instead concentrate on trips to Seattle and then St. Louis over the next two weeks following the bye.“It gives the coaches more time to say, ‘OK, this is where we’re at, this is how we can improve,“’ Ryan said of a bye smack in the middle of the season, “and formulate a plan and attack. I think that’s what we’re planning on doing.”

> http://www.nhregiste....txt?viewmode=3

As the arbiter of optimistic thought around here, here's my list:

1. The season's gotta end sometime.

2. Nate Silver is giving Woody Johnson an 83% chance of being extremely angry on November 7th.

3. There are only 22 weeks left where Mark Sanchez is under contract to the Jets.

4. Tebowmentum

5. The chances are slim that Buffalo will be appealing enough for a big-time head-coaching candidate.

At 3-5 and in last place in the AFC East, the Jets have a long way to go to get themselves back in the playoff race. But if you're the kind of person who always finds a sliver of light amid darkness, then you're in luck. Here are five reasons to think the Jets can still earn a postseason berth.

1 . Their schedule is pretty much cake. The combined record of the Jets' opponents over the remaining eight games is 27-35, a winning percentage of .435. Just four teams have easier schedules.

2. The rest of the AFC isn't very good. Three teams in the conference—New England, Houston and Baltimore—have a record better than 4-3. There figures to be a cluster of mediocre teams fighting for two wild-card spots.

3. Last season's collapse may have been an anomaly. Over the latter halves of Rex Ryan's first two seasons as their head coach, the Jets went 10-6 (and 4-2 in the playoffs).

4. Tim Tebow remains a possible trump card to play. He did ignite a remarkable reversal for the Denver Broncos last season. If Ryan is desperate enough, he could always make Tebow the starting quarterback.

5. Seriously, Rex. Play Tebow. Otherwise, this whole thing could get very dull very quickly.

—Mike Sielski

It's fckin over, forget it. Nobody wants to hear this sh*t. Fire the retards, bring in some retreads with the Super Secret Winning Football formula known only to the descendants of football aborigines (aka Football Men) , and watch my monster grow.

As the arbiter of optimistic thought around here, here's my list:

1. The season's gotta end sometime.

2. Nate Silver is giving Woody Johnson an 83% chance of being extremely angry on November 7th.

3. There are only 22 weeks left where Mark Sanchez is under contract to the Jets.

4. Tebowmentum

5. The chances are slim that Buffalo will be appealing enough for a big-time head-coaching candidate.

Way off on Nate Silver.

Shocking for you.

#1. Yeah, but the Jets are at .375.

#2. Very very true. Seriously, other then KC, who has a worse QB situation.

#3. "You are what your record says you are." Jets trending down.

#4. Not really. , but WTH give it a try.

#5. He values his job. He might not get another one. Just because it worked once, does not mean it will work again. Use Tebow, but do not put him in as QB.

#1 really bothers or the fact that it probably means we're going to finish 7-9, instead of the 4-12 we need to finish.

This year is over, this is a bad team that needs a total overhaul. But Woody won't do that as long as we're not too bad, because he's so worried about selling tix. But if this team has a total collapse it will force his hand.

—Mike Sielski

Wrecks Ryan has shot his load. He is no leader and neither is Sanchez.....can Sanchez be salvaged? That remains to be seen if there is an offensive game plan that can make him be a average QB.

We need a change at the HC..sorry to say that but he is HERM/MANGINI and add Rex to that. Thats the truth.

There is nothing to be optimistic about. This team shot their load in 2010. They tried to grab one more year last year with guys like Plax and Mason but it failed miserably. The people they have brought in to replace guys that have left have not gotten the job done (i.e Connor, Hunter, Mason, Plax, Faneca) and the core of this team has not stepped up and even in some cases regressed.

Their no-show performances against SF and Miami this year at home were utter disgraces. I would have no issue at this point blowing this team up and starting from scratch.

At best this team right now I could see going is 5-3. It would not surprise me though if they went 2-6.

There is nothing to be optimistic about. This team shot their load in 2010. They tried to grab one more year last year with guys like Plax and Mason but it failed miserably. The people they have brought in to replace guys that have left have not gotten the job done (i.e Connor, Hunter, Mason, Plax, Faneca) and the core of this team has not stepped up and even in some cases regressed.

Their no-show performances against SF and Miami this year at home were utter disgraces. I would have no issue at this point blowing this team up and starting from scratch.

At best this team right now I could see going is 5-3. It would not surprise me though if they went 2-6.

This organization has never drafted well. We went spend crazy in 2008/2009 and those guys have left or retired. Sure, Brick/Mangold then Revis was a nice two year run....but none of those guys put points on the board. I'd even say Brick and Mangold are overrated by Jets fans. Mangolds a center. Great.

Its something small, but look at Heath Miller...should have been a Jet and he's been a constant in that Steelers offense for 10 years. When was the last time this team had a tight end who could both block and catch? We take a kicker.....all this stuff catches up to you. The drafting has just been atrocious.

This organization has never drafted well. We went spend crazy in 2008/2009 and those guys have left or retired. Sure, Brick/Mangold then Revis was a nice two year run....but none of those guys put points on the board. I'd even say Brick and Mangold are overrated by Jets fans. Mangolds a center. Great.

Its something small, but look at Heath Miller...should have been a Jet and he's been a constant in that Steelers offense for 10 years. When was the last time this team had a tight end who could both block and catch? We take a kicker.....all this stuff catches up to you. The drafting has just been atrocious.

Relax. Doug Jolley bro.

Relax. Doug Jolley bro.

Watching the games yesterday...you just really see the teams that have their sh*t together and the ones who dont. Randall Cobb steps right in for the Pack. Schiano instantaneously turning the Bucs around with bringing a playmaker in Martin in.

Ed Reed too. No reason he shouldn't have been a Jet.

Its all about the draft.

Watching the games yesterday...you just really see the teams that have their sh*t together and the ones who dont. Randall Cobb steps right in for the Pack. Schiano instantaneously turning the Bucs around with bringing a playmaker in Martin in.

Ed Reed too. No reason he shouldn't have been a Jet.

Its all about the draft.

Oh yeah, Bryan Thomas when you have Shaun Ellis and Jon Abraham. Made total sense.

The Bucs did a little bit of both this year, they paid VJax and Carl Nicks but their draftees have all hit. Barron, Martin and David and some other from years ago are starting to play. Biggest difference is Josh Freeman taking care of the ball. Go figure.

Oh yeah, Bryan Thomas when you have Shaun Ellis and Jon Abraham. Made total sense.

The Bucs did a little bit of both this year, they paid VJax and Carl Nicks but their draftees have all hit. Barron, Martin and David and some other from years ago are starting to play. Biggest difference is Josh Freeman taking care of the ball. Go figure.

The Morris hire was a joke but they were smart enough to cut the chord after year 2. Schiano is a prick but he can coach.

I have 33 years of fandom that pisses all over these reasons to be optimistic.

That said, start Tebow just make this sh*t interesting.

At this point in time, the only thing we can do is start Tebow and see what we have. and if that does enough to win us some games. But the down side is we do win some games and screw ourselves out of a good draft pick....

I agree 100%....it was a disgrace to see them lose the way they did to both SanFran and the Fins....this is on Rex. Blow this up and lets get a proven HC in here and a proven GM.....

The Morris hire was a joke but they were smart enough to cut the chord after year 2. Schiano is a prick but he can coach.

They gave him 3 years, he got them to 10 wins in year 2. He had them doing well last year but they just collapsed. I wouldnt go and start anointing Schiano anything yet, they are beating up on piss poor teams but I will say he looks like he's got something going down there. Especially on offense.

At this point in time, the only thing we can do is start Tebow and see what we have. and if that does enough to win us some games. But the down side is we do win some games and screw ourselves out of a good draft pick....

Even if they lose out...who's in control of the draft? Time to implode this thing but as is the History of the Jets...they'll wait 2 seasons too long :(

Even if they lose out...who's in control of the draft? Time to implode this thing but as is the History of the Jets...they'll wait 2 seasons too long :(

I hope that's not the case....we need change from top to bottom finally.

as is testament to the rest of my life......i was born and raised in brooklyn andf then moved to new jersey. i could have easily been a giants and yankees fan and watched my teams win a plethora of championships. but i am a jets and mets fan. and that my friends is my life in a nutshell. could have been, but....... :)

3-5 Jets believe their season is far from lost

After spending their bye week in atypical fashion -- seeking warmth, food and hot showers in the aftermath of superstorm Sandy -- the Jets returned to their practice facility Monday with a clear vision.The season is not lost, they said. The playoffs still are within reach.And no one was happier to point that out than Rex Ryan."I know we're not where we want to be," the coach said. "We're not even close. We're not sniffing the playoffs. We're not sniffing anything right now. But I want to get there, man. I'm excited about the prospects in front of us."

A cross-country flight to Seattle awaits them Friday before they face an upstart Seahawks team that is 4-0 at home.The Jets have only themselves to blame for their 3-5 record. They were humbled on their home field on Oct. 28 by the Dolphins, losing for the fourth time in the last five games to fall to 2-2 in the AFC East.Ryan highlighted several issues that plagued their season's first half, none more glaring to him than their special-teams breakdowns and "poor" third-down and run defense. "Right now,'' he said, "we've earned that 3-5 record."He addressed his players Monday the only way he knew how: using "blunt-force trauma." Players said Ryan's message was more about their specific failures "in all three phases" than their overall record."He's not going to hold back any punches because he cares about us," defensive lineman Mike DeVito said. "He wants us to get better, and the only way to do that is to be brutally honest."

The Jets are quick to admit that more work needs to be done, but safety Yeremiah Bell believes they "definitely have the resources" in house to turn the season around. Despite all of their blown leads and blown chances, several players said their situation is not as dire as it may seem."We're not as far behind in the season as our record might indicate," linebacker Aaron Maybin said. "At the same time, that's all lip service, because we have to go out there and we have to win games in order to put ourselves in position to be a playoff team, to be a team that's in a position to compete for a Super Bowl. To do that, we have to win."Ryan wouldn't label Sunday's game against the 5-4 Seahawks a "must win." But it is, even if he won't say it."If we don't get in the playoffs, it's a boring season," safety LaRon Landry said as he detailed his only postseason appearance, the Redskins' 35-14 wild-card loss at Seattle during his rookie season of 2007.

"It's tough not getting in the playoffs. So that's my mind-set. Do everything in my willpower to get there."

The Jets' issues -- everything from running the football to defending the run to holding on to the football -- are correctable, they believe."It's all about if we want it fixed,'' Landry said. "Whatever we want to make it, man."Ryan and his players still believe they can control their destiny. And as they see it, there's plenty of time to accomplish their playoff mission.Said cornerback Antonio Cromartie: "The months of November and December, that's when most teams are made anyway."

> http://www.newsday.c...-lost-1.4190708

Archived