" Class of '12 : Assessing the Jets' draft " ~ ~ ~

kelly

Class of '12: Assessing the Jets' draft

A bye-week evaluation of the Jets' draft class, including an update on the five players chosen after the Jets' pick for all you second-guessers out there :

FIRST ROUND

16. DE Quinton Coples -- He got off to a slow start, but his playing time has increased in recent weeks. He has received more action than any other Jets rookie. He has two sacks and five tackles-for-loss.

What might have been : 17. CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Bengals; 18. OLB Melvin Ingram, Chargers; 19. DE Shea McClellin, Bears; 20. WR Kendall Wright, Titans; 21. DE Chandler Jones, Patriots.

Skinny : The Jets needed an edge rusher in the worst way, and they passed on a good one. Jones has six sacks, three forced fumbles and could win NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

SECOND ROUND

11. WR Stephen Hill -- He has experienced extreme highs and lows. Hill has four drops and he's as raw as sushi, still learning how to run pass routes. He has 14 catches, a 14.0 yard-per-catch average and 3 TDs.

What might have been: 12. OL Jeff Allen, Chiefs; 13. WR Alshon Jeffery, Bears; 14. LB Mychal Kendricks, Eagles; 15. LB Bobby Wagner, Seahawks; 16. S Tavon Wilson, Patriots.

Skinny: The only player that matters here, for the purpose of comparison, is Jeffery, whose stats are almost identical to those of Hill -- 14 catches, 13.1 average, 2 TDs.

THIRD ROUND

14. LB DeMario Davis -- He has played the last two games for the injured Bart Scott. Davis brings a different dimension to the linebacking corps. He's more of a sideline-to-sideline player, as opposed to a downhill linebacker. He has 15 tackles.

What might have been: 15. TE Michael Egnew, Dolphins; 16. S Brandon Hardin, Bears; 17. DB Jamell Fleming, Cards; 18. DE Tyrone Crawford, Cowboys; 19. DT Mike Martin, Titans.

Skinny: No one jumps off the page here. Martin has two sacks in a reserve role; Fleming has started two games.

SIXTH ROUND

17. S Josh Bush -- He has been a solid contributor on special teams, but Bush -- a sleeper pick -- has yet to make any mark on defense. He has only two tackles in very limited action.

What might have been: 18. LB Danny Trevathan, Broncos; 19. DT Chris Bilukidi, Raiders; 20. S Markelle Martin, Titans; 21. RB Dan Herron, Bengals; 22. S Charles Mitchell, Falcons.

Skinny: No one has distinguished himself. Trevathan and Martin have small roles.

SIXTH ROUND

32., 33. RB Terrance Ganaway, OT Robert Griffin -- The Jets went 0-for-2 here, as neither player made the team. That's a surprise, because GM Mike Tannenbaum hates to cut draft picks.

What might have been: 34. LB Emmanuel Acho, Browns; 35. DT Billy Winn, Browns; 36. WR LaVon Brazill, Colts; 37. P Brad Nortman, Panthers; 1. (Seventh round) G Justin Anderson, Colts.

Skinny: The Browns found a nice player in Winn, who has started eight games and has one sack. You're doing well anytime you can find an immediate contributor this late in the draft.

SEVENTH ROUND

35. S Antonio Allen, 37. WR Jordan White -- Allen was the Jets' best late-round pick in this draft. He was a key contributor on defense in the win over the Colts, covering the tight end. He has one sack and has the potential to be productive on special teams. White is on the practice squad.

What might have been: 36. QB B.J. Coleman, Packers; 38. DB Trevin Wade, Browns; 39. DB Terrence Frederick, Steelers; 40. TE Brad Smelley, Browns; 41. G Kelvin Beachum, Steelers.

Skinny: Any second-guessing this late in the draft would be irresponsible. The Jets are happy with Allen, and none of these other players have contributed.

Summary: The Jets found three starting-type players with Coples, Hill and Davis. By next year, all three should be regulars. Any draft that produces three starters has to be considered solid. But all three still need a lot of development, especially Hill, so it's hard to predict the upside of the draft. The Jets will hear years of criticism if Jones continues to shine and Coples turns out to be just a regular guy.

> http://espn.go.com/b...assessing-draft

Draft doesnt totally suck, but Chandler Jones is freaky good. Called that one too.

the Jets have a guy with 2 sacks and 5 TFL, the pats got a guy with 6 sacks, it's fair to say they are both good picks. And it's so early in both of their careers... i don't think it's a slam dunk to say they should have taken Chandler Jones (and switched to a 4-3?)

speaking of 6 sacks where is that worthless piece of trash Aaron Maybin lately?

the Jets have a guy with 2 sacks and 5 TFL, the pats got a guy with 6 sacks, it's fair to say they are both good picks. And it's so early in both of their careers... i don't think it's a slam dunk to say they should have taken Chandler Jones (and switched to a 4-3?)

Maybin is worthless

As far as Jones I dont care what front you play that's a guy that's going to be on the field for 3 downs.

Coples has talent he's just a doofus and it shows on the field.

Hill has probably been better than I thought he'd be at this point, even with the drops. I like how he competes.

stephen hill is getting a huge free pass right now. He had the game losing drop in the NE game. Mark's receivers had 6 drops against MIA (and I'm sure Hill was a part of that)

but you know what I agree with the free pass and agree with TS's assessment of hill. He looks like he could be a gamer in the future. the drops at least point out that Mark is relentlessly feeding him. You can't drop if you aren't targeted.

right now the corp is a raw hill, a mercurial (read: sucky) Chaz Schilens and a combo of Jason Hill and Clyde Gates. I actually like Clyde Gates but the worst corp in the league is probably a fair assessment. Even the Rams have better targets right now. That's a bigger problem with the offense than who is the QB.

all the Tebow lovers should remember that Tebow's had 3 significant passes this year, a deep drop to Jason Hill, a jump pass fumble to the TE and the Nick Bellore fake punt. When Nick Bellore is your best target it's not an ideal situation. Putting Tebow in the offense doesn't change who is catching (or not catching) the football.

he's doin' what he did w/ the bills...

very little :frown:

Good to hear Mike Martin is playing well.

Coples will catch up to Chandler Jones if he's really even that far off and I think he fits this defense better in the long run. I know the Jets should be expected to react in an extreme way to the Giants winning to the Super Bowl twice with a 4-3 defense loaded with 4-3 DE talent, but I'm fine with Rex and Pettine sticking to DLmen who fit their mold.

Maybin is worthless

As far as Jones I dont care what front you play that's a guy that's going to be on the field for 3 downs.

Coples has talent he's just a doofus and it shows on the field.

Maybin is a one trick pony but that trick is pretty productive for the JETS last season. For him to be on the field the opposition needs to be in 3rd and long situations and the defense needs to blitz in those situations.

Considering the JETS run defense has been so porous and the opposition feeling comfortable running the ball against us in 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 6 situations and coupling that with the fact that the JETS are not blitzing as much as they did and sometimes even in the most obvious situations are playing the 4 man rush there have not been too many opportunities for Maybin to make an impact.

He did have TD saving hit on Luck which probably saved a TD because that was one play where Reggie Wayne had Cromartie beat!

ok jones is good but the pats have a true nose tackle willfork that guy is a bear it takes 2 guys to block him and some times they cant do that, the jets dont have a guy like that. Ellis may become that but not yet. i say play the 4-3 withe Puha,and Devito as tackles the ends will get that preasure. we do need a fast olb Maybin can be that,but he needs help

This draft hinges on picks 1 and 2. Hill looks better than I thought in terms of getting open, but if he cant catch the ball he will end up just like most wideouts. Between his drops and the crummy play of the QB position his actual target translation is horrendous, but hes young so hell get a pass. Coples well know more about as time goes on since he is finally getting playing time after being in the doghouse or whatever he was in early in the season. Physically he is far more gifted than the last pass rusher we drafted. I think its just a question as to whether or not he can give the effort most plays or is content to just do a few things here and there.

As for Davis I think he is proof why you dont spend a bazillion dollars like the Jets do on ILB's. Dime a dozen position and you can always find low cost players to plug in, especially if you have one guy who is above average at the position.

Bit really? 2 sacks

One of which was dragging QB by facemask and drawing penalty, the other one done in last seconds of a blowout win, when Luck should have just kneeled to end game

Jones has been 3x Coples, making sacks and strip sacks when they count, not in garbage time

Rolltide

Grading AFC East rookies classes

The first half of the NFL season is in the books, which means this is a good time for reflections.All four AFC East teams were happy with their rookie draft classes in April. But is that still the case after seeing them for eight games in November?

Here is our midseason report card for AFC East rookies :

Buffalo Bills (3-5)

Notable draft picks: CB Stephon Gilmore, LT Cordy Glenn, WR T.J. Graham

Analysis: Buffalo got pretty good production early from its top two picks: Gilmore and Glenn. Both were immediately starters but Glenn suffered an injury that slowed him down. Gilmore is learning on the job but is having a solid rookie season. He leads Buffalo with 11 pass defenses. The Bills haven’t gotten much else from this rookie class. Still, filling the premium positions of cornerback and left tackle for the long-term raises the grade.

Grade: C

Miami Dolphins (4-4)

Notable draft picks: QB Ryan Tannehill, RT Jonathan Martin, DE Olivier Vernon, RB Lamar Miller

Analysis: Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland had another stellar draft class, and it’s a major reason Miami is in contention. He landed a franchise quarterback in Tannehill, which are always bonus points. Martin has started every game at right tackle and is holding his own. He will only improve. Vernon has been a terror on special teams and off the bench. He already has 2.5 sacks, two blocked field goals and a punt block recovered for a touchdown. Miller is the third running back but has contributed in spot duty. He averages 5.5 yards per carry. You can’t ask for more from a rookie class.

Grade: A

New England Patriots (5-3)

Notable draft picks: DE Chandler Jones, LB Dont'a Hightower, DB Tavon Wilson, DB Alfonzo Dennard

Analysis: Jones is a home run for New England. He has six sacks already this season and has brought a much-needed pass rush to the Patriots’ defense. Hightower was a physical presence early in the season but has battled through injury. Wilson and Dennard have been pleasant surprises. New England’s secondary has struggled mightily, which has opened up some opportunities for both rookies to get playing time and make a contribution. Wilson and Denard have combined for five interceptions.

Grade: A-

~ ~ New York Jets (3-5)

Notable draft picks: DE Quinton Coples, WR Stephen Hill, LB DeMario Davis

Thoughts : Coples has 15 tackles and two sacks. He has the physical tools but hasn’t made the immediate impact the Jets expected. Hill continues to be a raw prospect. He’s made some nice plays but also suffered a lot of drops. Davis is getting increased playing time with veteran Bart Scott (toe) injured. Bush has been a nice contributor on special teams, but continues to sit behind veteran safeties LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell on defense.

Grade: C-

> http://espn.go.com/b...rookies-classes

Archived