Official 2012-2013 New York Knicks Thread

RutgersJetFan

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah thought I had tonight's matchup pegged but apparently I was way off. For the most part the Knicks went small to mid and Woodson pretty much said, I think our guards can take you guys without having to worry about what's going to happen to Melo if we don't press to get Blair off of him. Can't really argue with the results. I wonder what tomorrow's rotation is going to look like. Woodson seems to have a genuine interest in getting Sheed going, so maybe he's more interested in giving him minutes since he's been out for so long. Regardless, I think tomorrow night you have to throw the kitchen sink at Memphis. We're looking at Indiana and New Orleans after tomorrow, and if you're Woodson you have to want the Memphis game more than those two for the statement it'll make if the Knicks can go out and beat the top 2 WC teams (as of now) in consecutive nights on the road. If they give one up to a bad team, hey, it happens.

I think Woodson is going to give Melo a break and put him back at the 3 and Thomas at the 4 so Melo doesn't have to guard Randolph. Melo has taken a beating the last 2 games.

Too lazy and late to look it up, but at first glance it seems as though Brewer, Felton, Kidd, SHEEEEED, Camby, Pablo JR and Novak cost less than Lin and Fields. I'd have to check tomorrow, but if I'm wrong, I don't think it's off by that much. Gotta love it.

I can't kill Landry for taking the money, but Oh Canada! how can the Raptors pay him $19 million? In 5 games he's averaging 2.4 ppg in 21 mpg. He's shooting 20% from the field with 1.6 assists to 1 TO per game. Now he's out indefinately after elbow surgery.

It will never get talked about in Arenas realm, but that has to be one of the worst contracts ever.

At least Lin has not been horrible. He's averaging 10.9 ppg with 6.1 apg and 2.5 TOpg (good ratio). Not worth the $25 million, but still not a complete disaster like Fields has turned out.

What a win. Melo was off and Felton and Smith just filled right in. Melo was beastly on the boards though. Great defense effort in the 2nd half.

Seriously, could Smith be any hotter than he is right now? Wow.

I think that's what was great about the win; Melo and Smith were shooting poorly/being defended toughly for the first three quarters ( they were 6 for 21 at one point) we were being out-rebounded by 8 or so and were still in it. Smith and Melo made some big plays down the stretch, but they were off for the vast majority of the game.

I'm with SMC on this one, I'd be very surprised if they put Melo at the four when both Gasol and Zbo are on the court at the same time. Yea, it would be a mismatch when we're on offense, but there's just on way Melo can play another full game banging against someone like randolph. Then again, I could be totally wrong and they go small, so we'll see.

LMFAO - hey, I've never been happier to be wrong! I just hope this continues and everyone stays healthy.

Am I the only one that kind of doesnt want to see Stat return? lol

There's more of a nuanced position on STAT and I think you fall into that.

I don't really think you don't want STAT back. I and others, and likely you, don't want STAT starting. He's the perfect backup for Chandler and 5 in the second unit IMO. I would also like to trade him straight up for Gasol.

The problem with STAT is not the stupid things he does, but that he has no defensive instincts whatsoever and he sucks on the boards. Doesn't make sense to me. He's a more athletic Brooks Lopez. At least Melo can play good D and crash the boards. He's done it on occassion in the past and has done it consistently this year. I don't know if STAT is capable of that.

I'm with SMC on this one, I'd be very surprised if they put Melo at the four when both Gasol and Zbo are on the court at the same time. Yea, it would be a mismatch when we're on offense, but there's just on way Melo can play another full game banging against someone like randolph. Then again, I could be totally wrong and they go small, so we'll see.

Yeah, we could be wrong, but wouldn't we prefer watching Melo guard Rudy Gay rather than Zbo?

Yeah, we could be wrong, but wouldn't we prefer watching Melo guard Rudy Gay rather than Zbo?

One would think, but Woodson is pulling all the right strings now, so I'll just go with whatever he puts out there. Then again, we had Kidd fronting Duncan for a few plays last night, so who knows lol. (I know they were on switches, but still thought it was pretty funny to see..Kidd held his own)

One would think, but Woodson is pulling all the right strings now, so I'll just go with whatever he puts out there. Then again, we had Kidd fronting Duncan for a few plays last night, so who knows lol. (I know they were on switches, but still thought it was pretty funny to see..Kidd held his own)

Yeah, that was crazy, and Melo guarded Duncan as well.

Like you said, Woodson has earned the cred. BTW, Woodson's Knick record is up to 24-6 now, a ridiculous 80% winning percentage.

I love reading all the articles and blog posts on the Knicks after a big win.

Kidd said something interesting in the postgame. He said he told Melo and the team before the game that the Spurs were going to use the same gameplan against Melo as they do against Dirk in making sure he won't be able to score or make it much more difficult. They double and triple team Dirk and keep him off his sweet spot and they'll do the same to Melo, which they ended up doing.

I love reading all the articles and blog posts on the Knicks after a big win.

Kidd said something interesting in the postgame. He said he told Melo and the team before the game that the Spurs were going to use the same gameplan against Melo as they do against Dirk in making sure he won't be able to score or make it much more difficult. They double and triple team Dirk and keep him off his sweet spot and they'll do the same to Melo, which they ended up doing.

It's refreshing to have veterans with a high BBIQ on the team, isn't it?

The detractors out there keep mentioning regression to the means, that the 3pt % will go down, as will the spot up shooting %, and the TOs will go up, but that argument exists in a vacuum.

Yes, there will be a regression to the mean on certain numbers, but that doesn't account for how the Knicks will adapt when certain shots aren't falling or a defense is forcing TOs. This is a smart basketball team and they have shown the ability to adjust on the fly. That will compensate for the regression.

The detractors out there keep mentioning regression to the means, that the 3pt % will go down, as will the spot up shooting %, and the TOs will go up, but that argument exists in a vacuum.

Yes, there will be a regression to the mean on certain numbers, but that doesn't account for how the Knicks will adapt when certain shots aren't falling or a defense is forcing TOs. This is a smart basketball team and they have shown the ability to adjust on the fly. That will compensate for the regression.

SMC shooting will always get hot and cold but solid defense can make up for those cold spells.

LMFAO - hey, I've never been happier to be wrong! I just hope this continues and everyone stays healthy.

Am I the only one that kind of doesnt want to see Stat return? lol

I can respect that. Kudos for manning up.

And yeah kinda. There's clearly some problems with our midrange game and Amare at the very least should help in that regard. But SMC is spot on, he shouldn't be starting and unless Felton is on the court he shouldn't be either.

that was fun while it lasted. the NBA has figured woodson out, and the team will eventually be 12-12, and then when stat comes back its gonna fubar the whole rotation

so do we have a first rounder next year ?

opps, sorry, had my jets hat on

LOL, Larz.

Yeah, I had that game chalked up as a loss going in and I liked the way they fought back in the 4th, but it was hard to overcome fatigue and foul trouble. That 3rd Q was ridiculous with the calls. Knicks were getting beaten up but only shot 4 FTs while Gasol alone had 12 FTs in the quarter.

Was at the new Warren Miller showing of Flow State, so I missed the first half and then caught the second half at a bar in Troy where Dogfish Head was having a tap takeover. Just an aside, besides having over 30 beers on tap or bottle their two Randall combinations were Midas touch with lime and mint and then the one year old World Wide Stout with vanilla beans, bourbon soaked coffee beans and werthers originals. I was too late for the stout, but heard it was delicious. I'm gonna have to go ahead and try to get one of those Randall infuser things soon.

Hard to see at the bar, but it really seemed as though the refs and memphis got under their skin during that third quarter and by the time they were ready to make their run in the fourth, they just didn't have enough in the tank to shut them down like they did san antonio the other night. Not too upset by it, considering they were gassed from the previous night and memphis is playing like the best team in the league currently. Loved hearing from Kidd and Sheed about how they'll take things from it and prepare for when they have to play at the garden. So refreshing having guys who understand basketball back on our team.

Was at the new Warren Miller showing of Flow State, so I missed the first half and then caught the second half at a bar in Troy where Dogfish Head was having a tap takeover. Just an aside, besides having over 30 beers on tap or bottle their two Randall combinations were Midas touch with lime and mint and then the one year old World Wide Stout with vanilla beans, bourbon soaked coffee beans and werthers originals. I was too late for the stout, but heard it was delicious. I'm gonna have to go ahead and try to get one of those Randall infuser things soon.

Which bar? I was at Brown's a couple weeks ago and I've been meaning to check out some of the other bars around there. That stout sounds intriguing.

Which bar? I was at Brown's a couple weeks ago and I've been meaning to check out some of the other bars around there. That stout sounds intriguing.

The Ruck, not too far from Brown's. It's actually a pretty awesome little dive bar, great bar food and I believe it's a semiannual tap takeover by Dogfish Head, I definitely recommend going next time it's around.

It should be an enjoyable week of basketball. Last week was a little more nerveracking because of the obvious trap game and the back-to-back road games against elite opponents (FU NBA schedule makers).

With Davis and Lin bookending it, it should be fun and 2-1 again should be a distinct possibility with the Dallas game being the biggest question.

The way things have shook out this early, there seems to 6 elite teams in the NBA and everyone else, with only 2 of them being in the East (Heat and Knicks). The 4 out West are the Grizz, Spurs, Clips, and Thunder. I can't put the Lakers in the list because of D'A.

The benefit from the Heat and Knicks perspective is that they'd only have to face one of the West's elite teams in the Finals. I have no idea who's coming out of the West, but yes I'm calling it, either the Knicks or Heat are making it to the Finals out of the East.

Bold, bold prediction there counselor. You really went out on a limb with this one.

Yes, yes I did.

I did that for JiF so when the Knicks have a little losing streak in February he can refer to what I wrote in everyone of his posts.

Archived