FREE agent dept. : CB Stanford Routt to the jets ? ? ?

kelly

We have seen this before.

On election night 2008, the Oakland Raiders cut cornerback DeAngelo Hall after eight games with the team. Oakland traded two draft picks and gave Hall a big extension that offseason.Now, four years later, on the eve of election day, the Kansas City Chiefs have pulled the plug on cornerback Stanford Routt eight games into a three-year deal. Routt was cut by the Raiders, following the 2011 season, before signing with the Chiefs.

As Hall did (he ended up with the Redskins), Routt will likely find a new job quickly. I’d be surprised if Routt is claimed Tuesday because of his big contract, but I can see him being popular on the open market. I’m sure there will be teams interested in him on a short-term deal because cornerbacks are at a premium and Routt could fit in as a borderline starter or nickel cornerback in several places around the league. Among the teams that could use a cornerback include Detroit, Minnesota, Washington, Tampa Bay, Miami, Baltimore and the :beer: Jets. :beer: .

Could Routt also find a home within the AFC West ? Sure, I could see it.

San Diego could use a solid cornerback. Depending on Tracy Porter’s health, Denver could be interested in a veteran, but I’d say the Chargers are more likely to look at Routt than Denver. Oakland has a bigger need at the position, but Raiders coach Dennis Allen said Monday the team has not discussed signing Routt. They clearly feel comfortable about their decision to cut him in February.

> http://espn.go.com/b...-stanford-routt

We have seen this before.

On election night 2008, the Oakland Raiders cut cornerback DeAngelo Hall after eight games with the team. Oakland traded two draft picks and gave Hall a big extension that offseason.Now, four years later, on the eve of election day, the Kansas City Chiefs have pulled the plug on cornerback Stanford Routt eight games into a three-year deal. Routt was cut by the Raiders, following the 2011 season, before signing with the Chiefs.

As Hall did (he ended up with the Redskins), Routt will likely find a new job quickly. I’d be surprised if Routt is claimed Tuesday because of his big contract, but I can see him being popular on the open market. I’m sure there will be teams interested in him on a short-term deal because cornerbacks are at a premium and Routt could fit in as a borderline starter or nickel cornerback in several places around the league. Among the teams that could use a cornerback include Detroit, Minnesota, Washington, Tampa Bay, Miami, Baltimore and the :beer: Jets. :beer: .

Could Routt also find a home within the AFC West ? Sure, I could see it.

San Diego could use a solid cornerback. Depending on Tracy Porter’s health, Denver could be interested in a veteran, but I’d say the Chargers are more likely to look at Routt than Denver. Oakland has a bigger need at the position, but Raiders coach Dennis Allen said Monday the team has not discussed signing Routt. They clearly feel comfortable about their decision to cut him in February.

> http://espn.go.com/b...-stanford-routt

Outside of Cro every corner we have fits that description.

Dolphins check in on Routt but signing not likely

The Dolphins have made an inquiry with the agent for cornerback Stanford Routt, NFL sources are telling me. But ...

The Dolphins are not interested at this time.

The team reserves the right to change its mind in the future. Things can change with player injuries and level of play, etc. But the club has no plans to sign Routt any time soon.

So there's that.

Routt is an interesting player because he has so much potential and the Raiders and Chiefs have paid handsomely for that potential. But both have been disappointed with him to the extent they both cut him.The Raiders drafted Routt in the second round of the 2005 draft after he ran a 4.27 at the scouting combine. In February of 2011 he signed a three-year contract that included $20 million in guarantees over the first two years.But Routt didn't last with the team into that second year. After starting 15 games in 2011, he was released after a season in which he didn't play up to his price tag.Seeing an opportunity, the Chiefs last February signed Routt to a three-year deal, this one worth $19.6 million. But the Chiefs stink and Routt was apparently not fitting in well with the defensive scheme. So, yes, he was cut November 5.

Routt, I'm told, is best suited for man press technique. He apparently struggles to learn zone concepts and sometimes has blown coverages on calls.Having said that, he's out there. The Dolphins checked in on his status because Richard Marshall is on injured reserve and they just gave up 433 yards passing to the Colts.

But nothing is going to happen with him here any time soon.

> http://miamiherald.t...not-likely.html

Archived