Handpicked Coples expecting larger impact on defense.

SenorGato

Quinton Coples wanted to spend the bye week at home in Kinston, N.C., resting his body and changing his mind-set, transitioning from the first half of his first NFL season into another phase.

But in his free time, the Jets rookie defensive end couldn’t help watching a few cut-aways of his first eight games loaded on his iPad.

He found himself moving his body along with the film and trying to understand why, on certain plays, he didn’t end up with sacks. Coples realized there has been some tendencies, ones he plans on working through with defensive line coach Karl Dunbar. But he also realized how far he has distanced himself from a sputtered start to his rookie year.

“The playbook is not an issue anymore,” he said Monday. “It’s all about going out and getting it.”

Through half a season, Coples played in 296 snaps, or 53 percent of the total defensive plays. There were the highs, like Week 7 against New England when Coples was in on 90 percent of the snaps, and the lows, like Week 2 and Week 3, where he played in less than a quarter of the defensive snaps.

Coples has been praised and criticized by coach Rex Ryan. Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine has called him out publicly and said he wants more, mentally and physically, from the first-round pick. Though he has not had any definitive conversations with Pettine or Ryan since returning from the break, Coples understands what those demands are. He needs to cause more pressure in the backfield.

“He hasn’t sat down and told me personally, but it’s just being more productive at getting to the quarterback,” Coples said. “So that’s what I’m gonna do.” Coples said he didn’t take any issue to the rigid dips and peaks he saw in his playing time over the first half of the season, but thinks things have changed for the better since the victory over Indianapolis in Week 6, where he logged his first two sacks. It was then, he said, when learning the playbook stopped being an issue altogether.

Pettine had said in the past he scaled back some of the defense while Coples got up to speed. “As far as expectations, I expect to be productive and help the team,” Coples said of the second half. “As far as playing time, they’re more in control of that. I think Indy was a good breakout point for me as far as being comfortable.”

He did not want to burn out by spinning through the tape of the 30-9 loss to Miami on Oct. 28, like a few of his teammates planned to during the bye, wondering why the defense has struggled to put pressure on the quarterback. The Jets are 29th in the NFL as a unit, with 12 sacks this season.

Coples focused instead on changing things in the second half, armed with the confidence in knowing the playbook and expecting the feel of the game to come to him.

“I just want to make sure that I get off faster, get to the quarterback and show relentless effort. I’m getting there, but basically I just want to get to the quarterback so I can help the defensive backs.

“I think things went well from an individual standpoint. I think I did pretty well despite some circumstances, but overall I still have a lot of improving to do.”

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/11/jets_quinton_coples_expecting.html#

Still think this guy is going to be a beast for this franchise.

Kris Jenkins is back!?!?! SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would be peachy in 1994. None of those guys are pass rushers.

I meant Jarvis Jones. I always get him and Jon Jenkins the other Georgia guy names mixed up.

Jones rushes the passer like a boss! Coples will get better too.

I meant Jarvis Jones. I always get him and Jon Jenkins the other Georgia guy names mixed up.

Good going. Now the super bowl is off the table. You ruined the season, SINGLE HANDEDLY! Good day sir. I SAID, GOOD DAY!

Sadly, we'll be bad, but not bad enough to get JJ. He's going to be had in the top 5 picks, I guess we'll have to settle for Mingo or Monty, which I'm more than okay with.

Dion Jordan if no Jones, please. Perhaps even as a mid-round pick. A bit more of a project than Jones as a pass rusher, but an ideal athlete to convert to a jumbo sized LB.

Werner from FSU has been pretty impressive this year as well. Much better on field athlete this year...Who else...Moore from A&M...

Dion Jordan if no Jones, please. Perhaps even as a mid-round pick. A bit more of a project than Jones as a pass rusher, but an ideal athlete to convert to a jumbo sized LB.

Werner from FSU has been pretty impressive this year as well. Much better on field athlete this year...Who else...Moore from A&M...

I'd actually prefer Brandon Jenkins out of FSU, his stock is falling due to the injury and I think he's going to make some team really happy if they get him in the second or third. That's all of course assuming he comes out, which I think he'd be foolish not to, considering he'll be healthy by the time spring rolls around.

Mingo and Monty did Nada vs Tide, wasnt too impressed

They made some plays, nothing more than solid play though. They're production thus far doesn't match their freakish athletic talent, especially Kiki Mingo. He is natural and fluid when asked to drop into coverage, is amazing at getting off the snap and has everything athletic trait you want as well as never shying away from contact. He's the type of talent we've been drastically lacking, but also a bit of a risk. There's a reason he's being tossed around as the top overall pick. Jarvis Jones is still my top pick, but I don't think we're going to get a shot at any of these guys, because we're going to be bad, but not bad enough and pass rushers are held at as much of a premium as QBs nowadays.

Jenkins is iight but Porter from A&M is a similar and probably more interesting talent. Werner jumped out at me because he changed my mind on him by losing weight and playin more explosively.

Im a little disgusted at myself for what I'm about to do but if I could have my way:

1: Jarvis Jones - Day 1 starter across from restructured Pace or better yet - Connor Barwin. Sucks that this is unrealistic unless Los Yets do what everyone says they'll do (continue yet another plummet).

2: Jonathan Cooper - Experienced and a very strong G talent. Would have given DeCastro a run for his money.

3: Dion Jordan - Not a dominant pass rusher (probably) but unreal ability to play in space for a guy his size. Would be a gift in the third considering he's got top of the draft athleticism, but something of a project talent.

Btw I expect Coples to be a big impact player over the next 8. Legitimately...he's been very good when on the field, and big impact plays aren't far off.

In fact, I won't be surprised if the whole D takes off. The Seahawks are hopefully victim #1 as their offense is hardly something to sh*t or jizz in your pants over.

They made some plays, nothing more than solid play though. They're production thus far doesn't match their freakish athletic talent, especially Kiki Mingo. He is natural and fluid when asked to drop into coverage, is amazing at getting off the snap and has everything athletic trait you want as well as never shying away from contact. He's the type of talent we've been drastically lacking, but also a bit of a risk. There's a reason he's being tossed around as the top overall pick. Jarvis Jones is still my top pick, but I don't think we're going to get a shot at any of these guys, because we're going to be bad, but not bad enough and pass rushers are held at as much of a premium as QBs nowadays.

i said 5-11 since June, will stay with it, could be a top 10 pick. AJ wasnt pressured much at all, the problem for Bama was LSU O outplayed Bama's D as they could not get off the field. I was more impressed with Minter than Mingo or Montgomery

i said 5-11 since June, will stay with it, could be a top 10 pick. AJ wasnt pressured much at all, the problem for Bama was LSU O outplayed Bama's D as they could not get off the field. I was more impressed with Minter than Mingo or Montgomery

Mettenberger really had his coming out in the second half, I'm waiting to see if he can continue that this weekend against Miss State. Minter is a stud, he's going to end up being a hell of a player at the next level. I just don't think you guys were back in guaranteed passing situations enough, but it's really no excuse, those two haven't had the type of production that their talent suggests.

Archived