Rantings of a Old Man (and Jets fan since 1964)

SouthernJet

OK, I agree, it's depressing. Like really depressing.

We have a full blown disaster on our Jet Green hands and it's time to forget bandaids and perform surgery.

I totally understand those who cant stomach Tanny, Woody, Mark, Rex etc etc etc. I get it, I am there on many of those issues.

The one thing we all have in common is we Love this team.

This is the team that we our Dads brought us to Love. This is the team that we then passe don to our kids.

No matter how dismal it looks, I would never think of leaving the team I watched with my know deceased Pop. Or the team I sat in living room watching with my little sons in Jets Jerseys. Or the team I sat in frigid cold watching at Shea Stadium.

Having said that, it's time to look at a few things to get back on track. You cant fire the owner, so.........

Agenda Items:

1) GM. It's fairly obvious to me that Tanny wont survive 2012. He has whiffed too much and he wont be able to blame Joey Clinksdales anymore (who DOES deserve a great amount of blame). Tanny put all his Player pick marbles in Clinksdales basket and it failed. Joey leaving was probably 2 years too late. Candidates: I dont know enough here, but think maybe two might be Baltimore assistant GM Eric DeCosta and New York Giants Marc Ross Director of College Scouting, both with scouting experience.

2) Head Coach. If Tanny leaves there is a high chance Rex is gone in the purge. Most solid GM candidates like to pick their own coach, If Woody gets lucky and gets Cowher or Gruden (why would they come to this mess?) then those two usually prefer total control.

I would like our next coach to be a ass kicker, aka Gruden/Cowher. To me this is Rex's MAIN fail point. He never learned how to stop being a buddy buddy position coach to being a no nonsense Head Coach. jets players have ZERO accountability IMHO. I like to tell a story Parcells has told and Phil Simms has backed up on a few occasions about player fear. Tuna would say "These players have millions and get on a plane after game to fly to Caribbean with 2/3 days off. They dont really feel the pain of mistakes like other workers. The only thing I have to 'motivate' them is fear of humiliation. Humiliation on national TV. They know with me I will chew them out when the come off field after mistake in front of millions. They do NOT like that." Simms has verified that after a mistake Giants players would walk off field at 10 yd line to avoid meeting Tuna and his wrath. It works.

When was last time we saw Rex chew a player out for a mistake?? Rare, if EVER. ZERO accountability.

Candidates: Who knows who Woody can con into coming. Money shouldnt be issue. sales Job is Key and giving total control for a Cowher/Gruden type.

3) Players. With assumption we are now in Train Wreck status, no one is safe. Sure, keep a few of the players drafted last year or two if you think they have real potential, but all others (Revis, Mangold etc etc) are fair game to trade for draft picks. If we feel we are a few years away from playoff contention now, then what good does some of the Vets do us. Instead of 4-12, we are 6-10? So what. Build for future, accumulate draft picks for new GM/HC to tailor to their scheme. It also allows some of the Vets a chance to compete for playoffs in last years of their careers. Obviously Sanchez has to go as it isnt good for ex starter to be on staff with new HC and new QB. Cap hit be damned, he has to go.

4) Fans. I am not happy, but I rooted for Jets with my Dad, I rooted with my kids and I hope to root with my grandkids. We cant change the team we love/ We can be upset and demand firings, changes etc. But lets stand together and fix this mess.

Bleed Green For Ever :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We cant change the team we love/ We can be upset and demand firings, changes etc. But lets stand together and fix this mess.

Look I get it, but this isn't a civil rights march. It's a professional football team and in reality the only role in which this franchise sees me is a customer. And at this point I'm starting to feel like a sucker.

Bringing in retreads like Cowher, Gruden, Holmgren etc. would be a huge mistake. It took 15 years for Cowher to win a SB and Gruden ran Tampa Bay into the ground after winning a SB with a team that someone else put together. Holmgren did get the Seahawks to a SB, but underachieved for many years, check the record. Retreads rarely win. Better to get an established offensive coordinator.

We have a full blown disaster on our Jet Green hands and it's time to forget bandaids and perform surgery.

I totally understand those who cant stomach Tanny, Woody, Mark, Rex etc etc etc. I get it, I am there on many of those issues.

This is the team that we our Dads brought us to Love. This is the team that we then passe don to our kids.

No matter how dismal it looks, I would never think of leaving the team I watched with my know deceased Pop. Or the team I sat in living room watching with my little sons in Jets Jerseys. Or the team I sat in frigid cold watching at Shea Stadium.

Having said that, it's time to look at a few things to get back on track. You cant fire the owner, so.........

Agenda Items:

1) GM. It's fairly obvious to me that Tanny wont survive 2012. He has whiffed too much and he wont be able to blame Joey Clinksdales anymore (who DOES deserve a great amount of blame). Tanny put all his Player pick marbles in Clinksdales basket and it failed. Joey leaving was probably 2 years too late. Candidates: I dont know enough here, but think maybe two might be Baltimore assistant GM Eric DeCosta and New York Giants Marc Ross Director of College Scouting, both with scouting experience.

2) Head Coach. If Tanny leaves there is a high chance Rex is gone in the purge. Most solid GM candidates like to pick their own coach, If Woody gets lucky and gets Cowher or Gruden (why would they come to this mess?) then those two usually prefer total control.

I would like our next coach to be a ass kicker, aka Gruden/Cowher. To me this is Rex's MAIN fail point. He never learned how to stop being a buddy buddy position coach to a no nonsense Head Coach. jets players have ZERO accountability IMHO. I like to tell a story Parcells has told and Phil Simms has backed up on a few occasions about player fear. Tuna would say "These players have millions and get on a plane after game to fly to Caribbean with 2/3 days off. They dont really feel the pain of mistakes like other workers. The only thing I have to 'motivate' them is fear of humiliation. Humiliation on national TV. They know with me I will chew them out when the come off field after mistake in front of millions. They do NOT like that." Simms has verified that after a mistake Giants players would walk off field at 10 yd line to avoid meeting Tuna and his wrath. It works.

When was last time we saw Rex chew a player out for a mistake?? Rare, if EVER. ZERO accountability.

Candidates: Who knows who Woody can con into coming. Money shouldnt be issue. sales Job is Key and giving total control for a Cowher/Gruden type.

3) Players. With assumption we are now in Train Wreck status, no one is safe. Sure, keep a few of the players drafted last year or two if you think they have real potential, but all others (Revis, Mangold etc etc) are fair game to trade for draft picks. If we feel we are a few years away from playoff contention now, then what good does some of the Vets do us. Instead of 4-12, we are 6-10? So what. Build for future, accumulate draft picks for new GM/HC to tailor to their scheme. It also allows some of the Vets a chance to compete for playoffs in last years of their careers. Obviously Sanchez has to go as it isnt good for ex starter to be on staff with new HC and new QB. Cap hit be damned, he has to go.

4) Fans. I am not happy, but I rooted for Jets with my Dad, I rooted with my kids and I hope to root with my grandkids. We cant change the team we love/ We can be upset and demand firings, changes etc. But lets stand together and fix this mess.

I am in total agreement with you. This team is a disgrace. I love the Jets. I am in disbelief how low we have sunk in such a short period of time. Maybe I saw it coming. But there is no accountability. There is no leadership. There is no direction.

I am a few years younger than you perhaps 10 or so I am guessing, and I know where you are coming from.

I do believe we need a change because the direction we are headed is embarrassing. We need a football proven GM/HC combination. I would be willing to for-go winning at this point in time for a "system" that can work.

Listening to Rex speak at the post game presser, made me sick. Hearing Sanchez speak the way he did made me sick. Hearing Cromartie say what he did made me sick.

Get these clowns out of here, get a new GM, bring in a new HC give him control and lets build a "team". Not a bunch of slapdicks. And to the honest from what I see the main slapdick is Rex himself.

Bringing in retreads like Cowher, Gruden, Holmgren etc. would be a huge mistake. It took 15 years for Cowher to win a SB and Gruden ran Tampa Bay into the ground after winning a SB with a team that someone else put together. Holmgren did get the Seahawks to a SB, but underachieved for many years, check the record. Retreads rarely win. Better to get an established offensive coordinator.

Fine with me.

I dont know if you can consider guys that have won Super Bowls as retreads. I actually think Dungy would be a good hire.

Look I get it, but this isn't a civil rights march. It's a professional football team and in reality the only role in which this franchise sees me is a customer. And at this point I'm starting to feel like a sucker.

agree, but I certainly am not going to become a fan of another team after all I have invested with family etc. It's my team, no matter what.

Good point on Rex. I think that Rex should be back but you also have to not tie a new GM's hands. Tanny can be back if you want him in a behind the scenes role just doing contracts. He can't be leading free agency and the draft. No way.

It was the same with Kotite...listen you know this and I am not saying anything you probably don't know already....but the fact is we need to clean house and need to put a product out there that will eventually compete. See I said the word "compete" and this is what our Jets is NOT doing.

I can't wait for the beat down on Thanksgiving when we face the Pats (and why the Pats are going to lay it on us). You do see where this is going right?

I dont know if you can consider guys that have won Super Bowls as retreads. I actually think Dungy would be a good hire.

\

Gibbs, Shanahan, Holmgren could never recapture the original magic and Dungy is too laid back for this team. They need their asses kicked on a daily basis. However, no matter who the coach is, they need the horses or they will never win and this team is barren on the offensive side of the ball. How that happened in the space of 2 years is mind boggling, heads must roll no matter what.

1) GM. It's fairly obvious to me that Tanny wont survive 2012.

Why?

I agree that he should not survive it. But, when was the last time this team held the right person accountable. I'm hoping the ax finally falls, but nothing tells me it will at this point. We fired the offensive coordinator only as the roster fell to sh*t. The offensive coordinator.

\

Gibbs, Shanahan, Holmgren could never recapture the original magic and Dungy is too laid back for this team. They need their asses kicked on a daily basis. However, no matter who the coach is, they need the horses or they will never win and this team is barren on the offensive side of the ball. How that happened in the space of 2 years is mind boggling, heads must roll no matter what.

agree, I want a ass kicker. This team is not afraid to make mistakes. Their coach is their best buddy,,,rarely works

agree, I want a ass kicker. This team is not afraid to make mistakes. Their coach is their best buddy,,,rarely works

There can be a medium. Im not saying pursue Dungy or anything...but he's a guy that immediately demands respect and has the resume to back it up. He's still the polar opposite of Rex.

Rex blew his load the first two years....the team not showing up for the Pittsburgh game was the end of Rex and his approach. It's over. The team has been going through the motions since that game. The roster has gotten worse, Rex looks more and more clueless and we cant score points.

Tanny can be back if you want him in a behind the scenes role just doing contracts.

Contracts? Really?

Tanny's cap wizardry was really just to push back cap problems, mortgaging the future, until the point after which he should have been fired. We've got a ton of awful contracts (Sanchez, Scott, Harris, Pace, Holmes) and his abilities were nothing more than a myth.

He needs to

I don't think that was insinuating going SMC on the team, but I'm certainly done after next week investing large sums of money into being a fan.

I have flights, hotels, and tickets booked to Jaxsonville, and like you, the only thing that makes it worthwhile is that it's time spent with my dad. We've done it every year, but I'm not sure why I'd bother next year when the two of us can just go do something else.

I would like our next coach to be a ass kicker, aka Gruden/Cowher. To me this is Rex's MAIN fail point. He never learned how to stop being a buddy buddy position coach to being a no nonsense Head Coach. jets players have ZERO accountability IMHO.

Yeah players coaches never win. Like Pete Carroll in Seattle. Oh wait... nevermind.

Yeah players coaches never win. Like Pete Carroll in Seattle. Oh wait... nevermind.

"Players coaches" shelf life is short, typically. There are exceptions of course, but Rex seems to be a guy who loves to do the stroking of players, and just expects players to be responsible enough to fix things when it goes bad.

Contracts? Really?

Tanny's cap wizardry was really just to push back cap problems, mortgaging the future, until the point after which he should have been fired. We've got a ton of awful contracts (Sanchez, Scott, Harris, Pace, Holmes) and his abilities were nothing more than a myth.

He needs to

He is fine on contracts. He just isn't fine deciding what contracts to do. The Sanchez extension is going to be the gift that keeps on giving.

That said, I am fine with him getting fired all together (Tanny).

He is fine on contracts. He just isn't fine deciding what contracts to do. The Sanchez extension is going to be the gift that keeps on giving.

That said, I am fine with him getting fired all together (Tanny).

How is he "fine with contracts" if we've got a ton of awful contracts that we can't get out from under?

Not that I don't agree with you overall, but what exactly has Pete Carroll won? He beat one of the worst teams in the league yesterday. Not exactly a huge accomplishment.

It aint working with this group. Keller for one should have been chewed out yesterday. "Sit on bench till you get your head out of your ass".

I prefer my players to have some fear of making mistakes. I see none on this team with Rex.

But to each his own, I respect your opinion.

It aint working with this group. Keller for one should have been chewed out yesterday. "Sit on bench till you get your head out of your ass".

I prefer my players to have some fear of making mistakes. I see none on this team with Rex.

But to each his own, I respect your opinion.

the problem with Benching keller is who replaces him? Rueland? I literally don't know who the TE are on this team. the Jets are at the point with injuries they can't bench anyone. And we can say this is Tanny's fault for not having depth but most teams can't lose a Revis and a Holmes and still be a-OK.

the problem with Benching keller is who replaces him? Rueland? I literally don't know who the TE are on this team. the Jets are at the point with injuries they can't bench anyone. And we can say this is Tanny's fault for not having depth but most teams can't lose a Revis and a Holmes and still be a-OK.

Sorry, but I consider this BS.

Playing time is the only disciplinary method coaches have these days. Fines mean nothing, you can't work them because of the CBA, so the only way to get to someone is through the media or take away the playing time. Look at the Giants, for instance, you fumble and you're on the bench for a while. Seems to work for them.

And I really don't want to hear about injuries. Revis is out, yes, but it looked like the defense played pretty damn well yesterday. Losing Holmes wasn't exactly like losing Jerry Rice, and the offense, except for the Colts and Bills game, has looked moribund all year. Good organizations find players who can help where ever they can. The Jets just don't do that.

My biggest fear is that Tannenbaum throws Rex under the bus and survives like he did with Mangini.

Agenda Items:

I would like our next coach to be a ass kicker, aka Gruden/Cowher. To me this is Rex's MAIN fail point. He never learned how to stop being a buddy buddy position coach to being a no nonsense Head Coach. jets players have ZERO accountability IMHO. I like to tell a story Parcells has told and Phil Simms has backed up on a few occasions about player fear. Tuna would say "These players have millions and get on a plane after game to fly to Caribbean with 2/3 days off. They dont really feel the pain of mistakes like other workers. The only thing I have to 'motivate' them is fear of humiliation. Humiliation on national TV. They know with me I will chew them out when the come off field after mistake in front of millions. They do NOT like that." Simms has verified that after a mistake Giants players would walk off field at 10 yd line to avoid meeting Tuna and his wrath. It works.

Yes you are so right, but will Santa deliver?

My biggest fear is that Tannenbaum throws Rex under the bus and survives like he did with Mangini.

Mangini going looking back was probably 100% Woody's call. Mangini brought nothing to the table for exposure. Hell Rex showed up 2 hours late to the Jets interview and still got the gig.

I have flights, hotels, and tickets booked to Jaxsonville, and like you, the only thing that makes it worthwhile is that it's time spent with my dad. We've done it every year, but I'm not sure why I'd bother next year when the two of us can just go do something else.

Texted me around the third quarter yesterday: "Too late to sell the tickets and go to Florida for the weekend?"

Really, it's ridiculous. I suppose it'll be worth it to go to games in Washington, Colorado, and soon Cali, but other than that I'm sure we can find something better to do with our time.

Mangini going looking back was probably 100% Woody's call. Mangini brought nothing to the table for exposure. Hell Rex showed up 2 hours late to the Jets interview and still got the gig.

Cut Rex some slack.

There was a Lady's Show sale at Nordstrom's that morning

I don't think that was insinuating going SMC on the team, but I'm certainly done after next week investing large sums of money into being a fan.

I'm just glad I didnt book anything for the Cardinals game I was planning on attending. **** that noise. I'll keep my happy ass here in Jax and watch the game for free....or not.

If there wasnt a game in Jax, there is no way in hell I'd spend a single dollar watching this team play. sh*t, I know we've been pumping that weekend up but I wouldnt be upset if every I knew backed out.

Jags vs. Jets???? lmfao You'll find me in the Bud Zone getting sh*t faced chasing skirt keeping up with Fantasy team.

You mean like the packers who lost 16 players to IR in SB yr, or the Gmen whose secondary was decimated with injuries last year? Injuries are a freaking excuse and btw we both had them earlier in year

and team still stunk it up.

some fans bleed buffalo Blue, some bleed crimson, some bleed orange, doesnt matter... when the entire org becomes a freaking circus, sometimes it is the right time to say Eff it and move on. I see a high

level of hyprocisy by some here

You mean like the packers who lost 16 players to IR in SB yr, or the Gmen whose secondary was decimated with injuries last year? Injuries are a freaking excuse and btw we both had them earlier in year

if you have an Aaron Rodgers or a 2011 Eli Manning you can overcome alot of injuries. When you have Mark Sanchez it's tougher. And to be fair the Jets could be fully healthy and still stink. My point i guess is that the talent at the QB position is the difference. look at the Giants the last 3 weeks, Eli has stunk and they are getting blown out. We have all these threads focused all year about improving the pass rush or getting a better running back or whatever. It's not that complicated. It's a passing league and the team that has the better passer wins. I gotta say, Russell Wilson was much better than sanchez yesterday. I sold the little guy short. Pun intended :)

if you have an Aaron Rodgers or a 2011 Eli Manning you can overcome alot of injuries. When you have Mark Sanchez it's tougher. And to be fair the Jets could be fully healthy and still stink. My point i guess is that the talent at the QB position is the difference. look at the Giants the last 3 weeks, Eli has stunk and they are getting blown out. We have all these threads focused all year about improving the pass rush or getting a better running back or whatever. It's not that complicated. It's a passing league and the team that has the better passer wins. I gotta say, Russell Wilson was much better than sanchez yesterday. I sold the little guy short. Pun intended :)

Yes a good QB makes the difference, why i said we are going into 4 yrs of hell, i saw all i needed to see of sanchez by mid last year to know it's over and the jets draft/FA was not stellar as well. Coples is not awful or Vern like. but Will never be the pass rusher jets needed. Hill was a waste. maybe with a good Qb he will be decent. Hands are poor maybe he can learn to catch.

Archived