Rantings of a Old Man (and Jets fan since 1964)

SouthernJet

Bottom line guys/girls: We are Jets fans, whether in a SB Run or a Train Wreck.

Simple. Bitch and complain all you want (and they deserve bitching and complaining), but never stop having the Jets as your team. Being in this together is what makes it somewhat bearable :)

(It helps for me being with the Raleigh Jets Fan Club at the bar during these latest clusterfudges :( . Anyone want to jump back on the sinking ship, hop aboard, we'll sink together, LOL)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes a good QB makes the difference, why i said we are going into 4 yrs of hell, i saw all i needed to see of sanchez by mid last year to know it's over and the jets draft/FA was not stellar as well.

agree. we both owe sperm a apology on that one, LOL. I admit it, I was wrong, Sperm saw it first :(

As far as HC candidates...be interesting to see the direction the Jets take. I could potentially see Woody being fed up(or possibly not giving a sh*t too) at the end of the year and offering a blank check to Cowher, Dungy, Holmgren...

If Woody hired any of those three I would stop watching the Jets for a while.

Yeah players coaches never win. Like Pete Carroll in Seattle. Oh wait... nevermind.

Pete Carroll has a super bowl ring? Last time I checked he hasn't even had a winning season with seatle yet and is like 1 for 11 as an NFL coach.

Bill Polian is pretty much the best candidate out there. His last 4 or 5 years of drafting in Indy were spotty at best. But the word is that his son pretty much ran those drafts. Prior to those years his record is brilliant. He has rebuilt 3 franchises that were in the dumps.

Good point on Rex. I think that Rex should be back but you also have to not tie a new GM's hands. Tanny can be back if you want him in a behind the scenes role just doing contracts. He can't be leading free agency and the draft. No way.

i said the same thing in another thread. make him the CFO if you want. but in no way shape or form shodl he make another "football" decision for this team. he is completely unqualified for it.

I dont know if you can consider guys that have won Super Bowls as retreads. I actually think Dungy would be a good hire.

Because such an old guy would be on the back 9 looking for retirement funding. This is a job for a guy in his 40s, not his 50s or 60s. One thing you ahve to give Rtyan is he at least publicly viewed this job as the pinnacle of his coaching career.

One obvious thing is that you always replaces a player's coach with a hard ass and vice versa.

Look at NFL OCs and midlevel NCAA coaches.

Specifically as to Dungy, how do you sell the firestorm form the media about some of his views?May be he could get skate on that elsewhere, here it would be a debacle.

Because such an old guy would be on the back 9 looking for retirement funding. This is a job for a guy in his 40s, not his 50s or 60s. One thing you ahve to give Rtyan is he at least publicly viewed this job as the pinnacle of his coaching career.

One obvious thing is that you always replaces a player's coach with a hard ass and vice versa.

Look at NFL OCs and midlevel NCAA coaches.

Specifically as to Dungy, how do you sell the firestorm form the media about some of his views?May be he could get skate on that elsewhere, here it would be a debacle.

Chip kelley as HC would be intriguing, at least Offense would be fun to watch. I think Casserly would be a good GM for this team. Kelly would get rid of MS for sure, he is just too dumb

I am past fighting with you guys on this stuff. I thought this team was better than it is. Obviously, the team sucks. OTOH, I don't believe the D is bad at all. They just get worn down. The past two games the O has brought nothing to the table and the specials have been a negative. In fact, I put the Dolphin game on special teams and you can make that 3 games in a row for the specials, a supposed strength of this team. Something is wrong and moves have to be made.

I disagree that we HAVE to blow it all up. The days of "rebuilding" are over. Teams routinely bounce from the bottom right back up and IMO while we aren't in the conversation with true contenders we aren't that far away - in the sense that nobody is that far anymore. We were close before and you can't convince me that Damien Woody and Braylon Edwards are irreplaceable. Nobody should be safe, but everybody doesn't have to go either.

I would stop watching altogether. Dungy is borderline retarded and a scumbag.

Yes, but can he win?

I am past fighting with you guys on this stuff. I thought this team was better than it is. Obviously, the team sucks. OTOH, I don't believe the D is bad at all. They just get worn down. The past two games the O has brought nothing to the table and the specials have been a negative. In fact, I put the Dolphin game on special teams and you can make that 3 games in a row for the specials, a supposed strength of this team. Something is wrong and moves have to be made.

I disagree that we HAVE to blow it all up. The days of "rebuilding" are over. Teams routinely bounce from the bottom right back up and IMO while we aren't in the conversation with true contenders we aren't that far away - in the sense that nobody is that far anymore. We were close before and you can't convince me that Damien Woody and Braylon Edwards are irreplaceable. Nobody should be safe, but everybody doesn't have to go either.

Yes, but can he win?

Agree about the defense. But it all comes back to a piss poor QB making the offense worthless.

Dungy in NYC would be a firestorm of protest. This franchise has enough headaches without hiring another one. And frankly he was an awful offensive coach in Tampa and mostly along for the ride in INDY. What in his resume says he could turn around this offense? Shawn King? Are you kidding? Beyond that objectively he would be an old guy looking for the last payday, and that's a bad idea.

Yes, but can he win?

And you were fighting hard...the only thingf in my mind that I was fighting about was that Sanchez did not suck and I am wrong on that one.

It seems to me every 4 years we go through this crap....

Agree about the defense. But it all comes back to a piss poor QB making the offense worthless.

Dungy in NYC would be a firestorm of protest. This franchise has enough headaches without hiring another one. And frankly he was an awful offensive coach in Tampa and mostly along for the ride in INDY. What in his resume says he could turn around this offense? Shawn King? Are you kidding? Beyond that objectively he would be an old guy looking for the last payday, and that's a bad idea.

Well, that's where I'm at. A decent QB would probably have this team at contender status. It's easier to fire the coach, GM and rebuild the entire team than to actually find one.

Another thing to consider about Dungy is that his style of defense would require a complete makeover of our strength. Remember when we got the cover who and it couldn't use a great cover corner like Aaron Glenn? Revis would excel in any scheme, but the rest of these guys? It might help Wilson by getting him to face the ball, but Cro and every LB except for Davis would be worthless. On the DLine you are probably keeping Coples and making WIlkerson, but the rest ot those guys probably don't fit.

ya, lots of media outlets last month or so have been touting him . I think he might be a solid choice also.. Innovative for sure at QB position.

http://www.cbssports...anfora/20937256

http://www.nfl.com/n...oach-candidates

http://sportsillustr...egon/index.html

http://sports.yahoo....15249--nfl.html

yep

The NFL is a passing league and Oregon is on the cutting edge.

Old technology like Ground/Pound and Wildcat never made sense today because if you go down by a couple of scores you have to pass to catch up. I read someplace that the Wildcats rate of success has gone down every year since was first introduced.

Old technology like Ground/Pound and Wildcat never made sense today because if you go down by a couple of scores you have to pass to catch up. I read someplace that the Wildcats rate of success has gone down every year since was first introduced.

Your general point is fine, but pretty much EVERYTHING's rate of success goes down from when it is first introduced. Teams adapt to stop anything that works.

If i was Chip i would stay at oregon, they pay $3m i think and im sure he gets a big raise if he wins NC, oregon recruiting has been off the charts too, the new USC

I just did.

lol, well IMHO you be wrong :)

That was his MO in NFL..freakin nuts on sidelines and went after players all the time..

" There’s been many things said about ex-NFL coach turned TV analyst Jon Gruden. His crazed looks and heated temper on the sideline as head coach at Oakland earned him the nickname Chucky, after the homicidal doll from the horror movies. His outbursts while coaching the Tampa Bay Buccaneers earned him the labels intense, and emotional."

lol, well IMHO you be wrong :)

That was his MO in NFL..freakin nuts on sidelines and went after players all the time..

" There’s been many things said about ex-NFL coach turned TV analyst Jon Gruden. His crazed looks and heated temper on the sideline as head coach at Oakland earned him the nickname Chucky, after the homicidal doll from the horror movies. His outbursts while coaching the Tampa Bay Buccaneers earned him the labels intense, and emotional."

I live in the Tampa area and no one here misses the John Gruden Glory Days in the least. His legacy is that of a poor coach that won with

Tony Dungy's players by being a players coach and giving them freedom that Dungy didn't. That freedom gave them a short term shot in the arm that resulted in the Super Bowl and then just took a left turn to Crapsville......sounds a lot like Rex, no?

I live in the Tampa area and no one here misses the John Gruden Glory Days in the least. His legacy is that of a poor coach that won with

Tony Dungy's players by being a players coach and giving them freedom that Dungy didn't. That freedom gave them a short term shot in the arm that resulted in the Super Bowl and then just took a left turn to Crapsville......sounds a lot like Rex, no?

1st time i have EVER heard somone say players considered Gruden more of a 'players coach' than Dungy.

" seem to recall that the whole NFL universe said the same thing about Tony Dungy when he was at Tampa; that a player's coach just can't get it done in the NFL. So out goes Dungy, in comes Gruden since Gruden matches the tough coach persona that NFL HC's should have. 15 years later, Dungy didn't do too bad as a players coach; Gruden on the other hand..."

Archived