Rantings of a Old Man (and Jets fan since 1964)

SouthernJet

OK, I agree, it's depressing. Like really depressing.

We have a full blown disaster on our Jet Green hands and it's time to forget bandaids and perform surgery.

I totally understand those who cant stomach Tanny, Woody, Mark, Rex etc etc etc. I get it, I am there on many of those issues.

The one thing we all have in common is we Love this team.

This is the team that we our Dads brought us to Love. This is the team that we then passe don to our kids.

No matter how dismal it looks, I would never think of leaving the team I watched with my know deceased Pop. Or the team I sat in living room watching with my little sons in Jets Jerseys. Or the team I sat in frigid cold watching at Shea Stadium.

Having said that, it's time to look at a few things to get back on track. You cant fire the owner, so.........

Agenda Items:

1) GM. It's fairly obvious to me that Tanny wont survive 2012. He has whiffed too much and he wont be able to blame Joey Clinksdales anymore (who DOES deserve a great amount of blame). Tanny put all his Player pick marbles in Clinksdales basket and it failed. Joey leaving was probably 2 years too late. Candidates: I dont know enough here, but think maybe two might be Baltimore assistant GM Eric DeCosta and New York Giants Marc Ross Director of College Scouting, both with scouting experience.

2) Head Coach. If Tanny leaves there is a high chance Rex is gone in the purge. Most solid GM candidates like to pick their own coach, If Woody gets lucky and gets Cowher or Gruden (why would they come to this mess?) then those two usually prefer total control.

I would like our next coach to be a ass kicker, aka Gruden/Cowher. To me this is Rex's MAIN fail point. He never learned how to stop being a buddy buddy position coach to being a no nonsense Head Coach. jets players have ZERO accountability IMHO. I like to tell a story Parcells has told and Phil Simms has backed up on a few occasions about player fear. Tuna would say "These players have millions and get on a plane after game to fly to Caribbean with 2/3 days off. They dont really feel the pain of mistakes like other workers. The only thing I have to 'motivate' them is fear of humiliation. Humiliation on national TV. They know with me I will chew them out when the come off field after mistake in front of millions. They do NOT like that." Simms has verified that after a mistake Giants players would walk off field at 10 yd line to avoid meeting Tuna and his wrath. It works.

When was last time we saw Rex chew a player out for a mistake?? Rare, if EVER. ZERO accountability.

Candidates: Who knows who Woody can con into coming. Money shouldnt be issue. sales Job is Key and giving total control for a Cowher/Gruden type.

3) Players. With assumption we are now in Train Wreck status, no one is safe. Sure, keep a few of the players drafted last year or two if you think they have real potential, but all others (Revis, Mangold etc etc) are fair game to trade for draft picks. If we feel we are a few years away from playoff contention now, then what good does some of the Vets do us. Instead of 4-12, we are 6-10? So what. Build for future, accumulate draft picks for new GM/HC to tailor to their scheme. It also allows some of the Vets a chance to compete for playoffs in last years of their careers. Obviously Sanchez has to go as it isnt good for ex starter to be on staff with new HC and new QB. Cap hit be damned, he has to go.

4) Fans. I am not happy, but I rooted for Jets with my Dad, I rooted with my kids and I hope to root with my grandkids. We cant change the team we love/ We can be upset and demand firings, changes etc. But lets stand together and fix this mess.

Bleed Green For Ever :)

Well said SJ.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not that into football anymore really

if you watch closely, you can see in every game a guy trying to knock another guy out of the game. shot to the knee, shot to the head, it's barbaric

I enjoy watching golf over football more every year. the best part is I just cheer for good play, and a good finish, I really don't even care who wins

so dude, just let it go and find a better use for your time

Archived