•  

Photo
- - - - -

Rantings of a Old Man (and Jets fan since 1964)

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#26 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,511 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

It aint working with this group. Keller for one should have been chewed out yesterday. "Sit on bench till you get your head out of your ass".

I prefer my players to have some fear of making mistakes. I see none on this team with Rex.

But to each his own, I respect your opinion.

the problem with Benching keller is who replaces him? Rueland? I literally don't know who the TE are on this team. the Jets are at the point with injuries they can't bench anyone. And we can say this is Tanny's fault for not having depth but most teams can't lose a Revis and a Holmes and still be a-OK.

Edited by bitonti, 12 November 2012 - 12:34 PM.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#27 NorthCoastJetsFan

NorthCoastJetsFan

Senior Igloo Engineer

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

the problem with Benching keller is who replaces him? Rueland? I literally don't know who the TE are on this team. the Jets are at the point with injuries they can't bench anyone. And we can say this is Tanny's fault for not having depth but most teams can't lose a Revis and a Holmes and still be a-OK.

Sorry, but I consider this BS.

Playing time is the only disciplinary method coaches have these days. Fines mean nothing, you can't work them because of the CBA, so the only way to get to someone is through the media or take away the playing time. Look at the Giants, for instance, you fumble and you're on the bench for a while. Seems to work for them.

And I really don't want to hear about injuries. Revis is out, yes, but it looked like the defense played pretty damn well yesterday. Losing Holmes wasn't exactly like losing Jerry Rice, and the offense, except for the Colts and Bills game, has looked moribund all year. Good organizations find players who can help where ever they can. The Jets just don't do that.

My biggest fear is that Tannenbaum throws Rex under the bus and survives like he did with Mangini.

Edited by NorthCoastJetsFan, 12 November 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#28 CM28

CM28

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • LocationStockholm Sweden

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

OK, I agree, it's depressing. Like really depressing.
We have a full blown disaster on our Jet Green hands and it's time to forget bandaids and perform surgery.
I totally understand those who cant stomach Tanny, Woody, Mark, Rex etc etc etc. I get it, I am there on many of those issues.
The one thing we all have in common is we Love this team.
This is the team that we our Dads brought us to Love. This is the team that we then passe don to our kids.
No matter how dismal it looks, I would never think of leaving the team I watched with my know deceased Pop. Or the team I sat in living room watching with my little sons in Jets Jerseys. Or the team I sat in frigid cold watching at Shea Stadium.

Having said that, it's time to look at a few things to get back on track. You cant fire the owner, so.........

Agenda Items:

1) GM. It's fairly obvious to me that Tanny wont survive 2012. He has whiffed too much and he wont be able to blame Joey Clinksdales anymore (who DOES deserve a great amount of blame). Tanny put all his Player pick marbles in Clinksdales basket and it failed. Joey leaving was probably 2 years too late. Candidates: I dont know enough here, but think maybe two might be Baltimore assistant GM Eric DeCosta and New York Giants Marc Ross Director of College Scouting, both with scouting experience.

2) Head Coach. If Tanny leaves there is a high chance Rex is gone in the purge. Most solid GM candidates like to pick their own coach, If Woody gets lucky and gets Cowher or Gruden (why would they come to this mess?) then those two usually prefer total control.
I would like our next coach to be a ass kicker, aka Gruden/Cowher. To me this is Rex's MAIN fail point. He never learned how to stop being a buddy buddy position coach to being a no nonsense Head Coach. jets players have ZERO accountability IMHO. I like to tell a story Parcells has told and Phil Simms has backed up on a few occasions about player fear. Tuna would say "These players have millions and get on a plane after game to fly to Caribbean with 2/3 days off. They dont really feel the pain of mistakes like other workers. The only thing I have to 'motivate' them is fear of humiliation. Humiliation on national TV. They know with me I will chew them out when the come off field after mistake in front of millions. They do NOT like that." Simms has verified that after a mistake Giants players would walk off field at 10 yd line to avoid meeting Tuna and his wrath. It works.
When was last time we saw Rex chew a player out for a mistake?? Rare, if EVER. ZERO accountability.
Candidates: Who knows who Woody can con into coming. Money shouldnt be issue. sales Job is Key and giving total control for a Cowher/Gruden type.

3) Players. With assumption we are now in Train Wreck status, no one is safe. Sure, keep a few of the players drafted last year or two if you think they have real potential, but all others (Revis, Mangold etc etc) are fair game to trade for draft picks. If we feel we are a few years away from playoff contention now, then what good does some of the Vets do us. Instead of 4-12, we are 6-10? So what. Build for future, accumulate draft picks for new GM/HC to tailor to their scheme. It also allows some of the Vets a chance to compete for playoffs in last years of their careers. Obviously Sanchez has to go as it isnt good for ex starter to be on staff with new HC and new QB. Cap hit be damned, he has to go.

4) Fans. I am not happy, but I rooted for Jets with my Dad, I rooted with my kids and I hope to root with my grandkids. We cant change the team we love/ We can be upset and demand firings, changes etc. But lets stand together and fix this mess.

Bleed Green For Ever :)

Yes you are so right, but will Santa deliver?

#29 Matt39

Matt39

damn you're smooth

• Members
  • 20,433 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

My biggest fear is that Tannenbaum throws Rex under the bus and survives like he did with Mangini.

Mangini going looking back was probably 100% Woody's call. Mangini brought nothing to the table for exposure. Hell Rex showed up 2 hours late to the Jets interview and still got the gig.

#30 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

CZARFACE

• Members
  • 14,736 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

I have flights, hotels, and tickets booked to Jaxsonville, and like you, the only thing that makes it worthwhile is that it's time spent with my dad. We've done it every year, but I'm not sure why I'd bother next year when the two of us can just go do something else.

Texted me around the third quarter yesterday: "Too late to sell the tickets and go to Florida for the weekend?"

Really, it's ridiculous. I suppose it'll be worth it to go to games in Washington, Colorado, and soon Cali, but other than that I'm sure we can find something better to do with our time.

Edited by RutgersJetFan, 12 November 2012 - 01:09 PM.

(Chandler)'s a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster....I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden.

#31 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 30,522 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Mangini going looking back was probably 100% Woody's call. Mangini brought nothing to the table for exposure. Hell Rex showed up 2 hours late to the Jets interview and still got the gig.

Cut Rex some slack.
There was a Lady's Show sale at Nordstrom's that morning
Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#32 JiF

JiF

President of the Rex Ryan Fan Club

• Members
  • 35,542 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

I don't think that was insinuating going SMC on the team, but I'm certainly done after next week investing large sums of money into being a fan.

I have flights, hotels, and tickets booked to Jaxsonville, and like you, the only thing that makes it worthwhile is that it's time spent with my dad. We've done it every year, but I'm not sure why I'd bother next year when the two of us can just go do something else.

I'm just glad I didnt book anything for the Cardinals game I was planning on attending. **** that noise. I'll keep my happy ass here in Jax and watch the game for free....or not.

If there wasnt a game in Jax, there is no way in hell I'd spend a single dollar watching this team play. sh*t, I know we've been pumping that weekend up but I wouldnt be upset if every I knew backed out.

Jags vs. Jets???? lmfao You'll find me in the Bud Zone getting sh*t faced chasing skirt keeping up with Fantasy team.
Posted Image

#33 afosomf

afosomf

mon

• Members
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

You mean like the packers who lost 16 players to IR in SB yr, or the Gmen whose secondary was decimated with injuries last year? Injuries are a freaking excuse and btw we both had them earlier in year
and team still stunk it up.

some fans bleed buffalo Blue, some bleed crimson, some bleed orange, doesnt matter... when the entire org becomes a freaking circus, sometimes it is the right time to say Eff it and move on. I see a high
level of hyprocisy by some here

#34 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,511 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

You mean like the packers who lost 16 players to IR in SB yr, or the Gmen whose secondary was decimated with injuries last year? Injuries are a freaking excuse and btw we both had them earlier in year

if you have an Aaron Rodgers or a 2011 Eli Manning you can overcome alot of injuries. When you have Mark Sanchez it's tougher. And to be fair the Jets could be fully healthy and still stink. My point i guess is that the talent at the QB position is the difference. look at the Giants the last 3 weeks, Eli has stunk and they are getting blown out. We have all these threads focused all year about improving the pass rush or getting a better running back or whatever. It's not that complicated. It's a passing league and the team that has the better passer wins. I gotta say, Russell Wilson was much better than sanchez yesterday. I sold the little guy short. Pun intended :)

Edited by bitonti, 12 November 2012 - 02:40 PM.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#35 afosomf

afosomf

mon

• Members
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

if you have an Aaron Rodgers or a 2011 Eli Manning you can overcome alot of injuries. When you have Mark Sanchez it's tougher. And to be fair the Jets could be fully healthy and still stink. My point i guess is that the talent at the QB position is the difference. look at the Giants the last 3 weeks, Eli has stunk and they are getting blown out. We have all these threads focused all year about improving the pass rush or getting a better running back or whatever. It's not that complicated. It's a passing league and the team that has the better passer wins. I gotta say, Russell Wilson was much better than sanchez yesterday. I sold the little guy short. Pun intended :)

Yes a good QB makes the difference, why i said we are going into 4 yrs of hell, i saw all i needed to see of sanchez by mid last year to know it's over and the jets draft/FA was not stellar as well. Coples is not awful or Vern like. but Will never be the pass rusher jets needed. Hill was a waste. maybe with a good Qb he will be decent. Hands are poor maybe he can learn to catch.

#36 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 30,522 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Bottom line guys/girls: We are Jets fans, whether in a SB Run or a Train Wreck.
Simple. Bitch and complain all you want (and they deserve bitching and complaining), but never stop having the Jets as your team. Being in this together is what makes it somewhat bearable :)
(It helps for me being with the Raleigh Jets Fan Club at the bar during these latest clusterfudges :( . Anyone want to jump back on the sinking ship, hop aboard, we'll sink together, LOL)

Edited by SouthernJet, 12 November 2012 - 03:23 PM.

Posted Image

#37 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 30,522 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Yes a good QB makes the difference, why i said we are going into 4 yrs of hell, i saw all i needed to see of sanchez by mid last year to know it's over and the jets draft/FA was not stellar as well.

agree. we both owe sperm a apology on that one, LOL. I admit it, I was wrong, Sperm saw it first :(
Posted Image

#38 JohnnyHector

JohnnyHector

Where? In the car?

• Members
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

agree. we both owe sperm a apology on that one, LOL. I admit it, I was wrong, Sperm saw it first :(

clippys are for skippys
Posted Image

#39 afosomf

afosomf

mon

• Members
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

clippys are for skippys

that is copyrighted mon, owe me $5 bucks now

#40 RSJ

RSJ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

As far as HC candidates...be interesting to see the direction the Jets take. I could potentially see Woody being fed up(or possibly not giving a sh*t too) at the end of the year and offering a blank check to Cowher, Dungy, Holmgren...

If Woody hired any of those three I would stop watching the Jets for a while.

#41 RSJ

RSJ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

Yeah players coaches never win. Like Pete Carroll in Seattle. Oh wait... nevermind.

Pete Carroll has a super bowl ring? Last time I checked he hasn't even had a winning season with seatle yet and is like 1 for 11 as an NFL coach.

#42 RSJ

RSJ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

Bill Polian is pretty much the best candidate out there. His last 4 or 5 years of drafting in Indy were spotty at best. But the word is that his son pretty much ran those drafts. Prior to those years his record is brilliant. He has rebuilt 3 franchises that were in the dumps.

#43 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,129 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

Sanchez is here another year. I bet Rex and Tanny are too. Next year might be clean slate top to bottom.

Please God let the NHL stop being dumb. I need something to look forward to.

#44 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 27,045 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

I dont know if you can consider guys that have won Super Bowls as retreads. I actually think Dungy would be a good hire.

I would stop watching altogether. Dungy is borderline retarded and a scumbag.

JetNation

2446sd4.jpg

Morn - hin - weg

#45 neckdemon

neckdemon

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 7,616 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:10 AM

Good point on Rex. I think that Rex should be back but you also have to not tie a new GM's hands. Tanny can be back if you want him in a behind the scenes role just doing contracts. He can't be leading free agency and the draft. No way.

i said the same thing in another thread. make him the CFO if you want. but in no way shape or form shodl he make another "football" decision for this team. he is completely unqualified for it.

Edited by neckdemon, 13 November 2012 - 06:11 AM.

#46 Bugg

Bugg

Of counsel whack job

• Members
  • 13,949 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

I dont know if you can consider guys that have won Super Bowls as retreads. I actually think Dungy would be a good hire.

Because such an old guy would be on the back 9 looking for retirement funding. This is a job for a guy in his 40s, not his 50s or 60s. One thing you ahve to give Rtyan is he at least publicly viewed this job as the pinnacle of his coaching career.

One obvious thing is that you always replaces a player's coach with a hard ass and vice versa.

Look at NFL OCs and midlevel NCAA coaches.

Specifically as to Dungy, how do you sell the firestorm form the media about some of his views?May be he could get skate on that elsewhere, here it would be a debacle.

Edited by Bugg, 13 November 2012 - 06:52 AM.

Objective-Glendale, Arizona

Super Bowl 49-February, 2015

#47 afosomf

afosomf

mon

• Members
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

Because such an old guy would be on the back 9 looking for retirement funding. This is a job for a guy in his 40s, not his 50s or 60s. One thing you ahve to give Rtyan is he at least publicly viewed this job as the pinnacle of his coaching career.

One obvious thing is that you always replaces a player's coach with a hard ass and vice versa.

Look at NFL OCs and midlevel NCAA coaches.

Specifically as to Dungy, how do you sell the firestorm form the media about some of his views?May be he could get skate on that elsewhere, here it would be a debacle.

Chip kelley as HC would be intriguing, at least Offense would be fun to watch. I think Casserly would be a good GM for this team. Kelly would get rid of MS for sure, he is just too dumb

#48 PatriotReign37

PatriotReign37

500 warning points and counting.

• Members
  • 9,461 posts
  • LocationThe road to Seacacus

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

Chip kelley as HC would be intriguing, at least Offense would be fun to watch. I think Casserly would be a good GM for this team. Kelly would get rid of MS for sure, he is just too dumb

Oregons HC?

#49 afosomf

afosomf

mon

• Members
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

Oregons HC?

yep

#50 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 26,381 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

I am past fighting with you guys on this stuff. I thought this team was better than it is. Obviously, the team sucks. OTOH, I don't believe the D is bad at all. They just get worn down. The past two games the O has brought nothing to the table and the specials have been a negative. In fact, I put the Dolphin game on special teams and you can make that 3 games in a row for the specials, a supposed strength of this team. Something is wrong and moves have to be made.

I disagree that we HAVE to blow it all up. The days of "rebuilding" are over. Teams routinely bounce from the bottom right back up and IMO while we aren't in the conversation with true contenders we aren't that far away - in the sense that nobody is that far anymore. We were close before and you can't convince me that Damien Woody and Braylon Edwards are irreplaceable. Nobody should be safe, but everybody doesn't have to go either.

I would stop watching altogether. Dungy is borderline retarded and a scumbag.

Yes, but can he win?

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users