This may explane EVERYTHING!!!

TTTTebowAndTheJets

This may be the reason Rex won't start Tebow and why he hasn't even sent him in for mop up duty.... My mind is blown.

http://nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/capconcerns.html

"But the big one is Tim Tebow. Again I want to mention here that the information I have on Tebow is from his prior contract with Denver which I assume rolled over with the Jets, but I do not know for a fact if this is the case. So take this as a possibility and not 100% accurate.

Everyone is puzzled by the fact that Tebow never plays for the Jets. The starting QB the Jets have is terrible. There is no way to sugarcoat the performances no matter how much Rex Ryan tries to in every postgame press conference. In the games where the Jets have been blown away it was shocking that the team didn’t put in Tebow in mop up duty just to get a look at the player. With the exception of rookies taking their lumps almost no starting QB, except for the superstars, would have remained in the games against the San Francisco 49’ers or Miami Dolphins. In the summer Rex Ryan talked about playing Tebow 25% of the teams snaps. Thus far he has been in 10.1% and the number is falling.

Tebow is one of the last remaining players that should be playing under the old CBA rookie contract structure. Under the old CBA 1st round draft picks often had low base value deals to comply with CBA rules with easily attainable escalators based on playing time. For instance Dustin Keller this year saw his salary increase to $3.052 million as he entered the final year of his deal. As a QB drafted in the 1st round those incentives are increased dramatically. Tebow’s rookie contract had a base value of $9.7125 million with an easily achievable value of $11.125 million based on reaching the standard playing time escalators of either 35% as a rookie or 45% any year thereafter. He unlocked that in 2011 when he played in about 76% of the Broncos offensive snaps. As a first round QB he had the potential to turn the contract into a $33 million dollar deal through incentives that would only be realized if he turned out to be the next John Elway. The more realistic number was that the contract would be worth $22.5 million if he developed into a starting QB.

The additional $11.25 million, if earned, would be added onto the backend of Tebow’s 5 year contract in 2013 and 2014. He had two avenues to earn the escalators. If he played in 55% of the snaps in two of his first three seasons (2010-2012) he would earn an additional $5 million in 2013 and $6.25 million in 2014. If he plays in 70% of the snaps in 2013 he earns the full payment in 2014.

Tebow’s current cap number in 2013 is $2,586,875 which includes a guaranteed payment of $1,531,875 that goes to the Denver Broncos as part of the terms of the trade. If Tebow was to earn that escalator his cap charge would balloon to $7,586,875. That is a number the Jets cant handle next season, considering they owe Sanchez $8.25 million guaranteed next year and a cap charge of over $12.8 million. 2014 is not an issue for the Jets but clearly 2013 is and maybe that is playing a role in the management of Tebow’s snaps.

Over the summer the Jets proclaimed they were going to use Tebow close to 20 snaps per game which is about 25% of the teams offensive plays, specifically in the red zone. The Jets have played 546 offensive snaps through 8 weeks. If the Jets had played Tebow as advertised and continued at that pace the most they would likely be able to start him is the last 5 games to safely avoid the bonus. Had they used him in those blowout games early in the year you would be looking at is 4. With his current snap count and snap averages they should be able to get 7 starts out of him and miss the bonus payment. . Had they made move earlier to start they would be completely stuck with he and Sanchez eating up $20 million in cap room in 2013. If the escalators are a real possibility it at least may explain why the Jets don’t use him at all unless they really see him as that bad of a player in practice, which is why Denver coach John Fox used to say about his views on Tebow.

From Tebow’s side you have to be furious if this is the case and they are managing his potential earnings this way. Had Tebow chosen Jacksonville he clearly would be the starter. Not only is Blaine Gabbert often injured but when healthy he is completely ineffective. There would be no doubt that Tebow would be the starter and be earning the maximum realistic value on his contract. If Tebow is going to remain on the Jets I have a gut feeling that there had to be some assurance, especially the way the season has transpired, that Tebow will get every opportunity to start in 2013 and earn his money as his original contract stated.

Maybe it’s an Oliver Stone conspiracy on my part, but I think he is blocked for another game or two because of the concerns about the teams finances and the need to protect their cap in the event the owner puts his foot down and demands the switch to be made. Between Tebow’s potential salary and sunk costs in Sanchez there is a lot more going on than the negatives of Sanchez’ stats and “belief in Mark” by the head coach as the reasons for why the Jets are doing things the way they are. I just hope in 2013 the team is back to being run the way they were in the years leading up to 2012 where players played on merit and decisions were made to evaluate for the future when things went south. I truly believe that the Jets can navigate their “financial crisis” next year without issue, but something this year just does not sit right with me at all. "

I am still puzzled by why we traded for Tebow ? And that too if we did not want to play him.

If anyone in the JETS organization really thought Tebow was competition to Mark they should be.....oh well!

Seeing as how they had to trade twice because of contract confusion...I would not put it past them to overlook these escalators before it was too late.

Not only does Tebow suck, but so does his contract!

But as my man said, that doesn't really explain why he has played so little. He's only played 10% of the time, and his escalators are at 45%. They could play him for 4 straight games and not hit any escalators.

I think they will stick with Sanchez until the season is officially over (Another 2-3 weeks), then start their QB evaluations for next year, with Tebow and GMC getting shots in December......

BD

but can he still get those incentives starting this late in the season?

Yes, if he takes over and gets 100% of the snaps as the starter, he could get to over 50% (or whatever the benchmark is) by the end of the year. I think it becomes mathematically impossible the week after the patriots, and is only possible against the patriots if they win out and win the Super Bowl (haha....sorry. I laughed even typing that)

so the jets are intentionally throwing the season because of tebow's contract? That our FO and coaching staff are willing to jeopardize their jobs because of a single contract? Sorry. Not buying it.

I don't think they're "throwing" the season. I think they really wanted Mark to succeed and wanted this season to be his make or break year. Benching him for Tebow wasn't in the original plans and even if they wanted to, the cap hit risk is too great to do that now. I think they'll give mark until NE to turn things around. At that point Tebow's escalators won't matter and if Sanchez is still sucking, they'll pull the plug.

I don't think they're "throwing" the season. I think they really wanted Mark to succeed and wanted this season to be his make or break year. Benching him for Tebow wasn't in the original plans and even if they wanted to, the cap hit risk is too great to do that now. I think they'll give mark until NE to turn things around. At that point Tebow's escalators won't matter and if Sanchez is still sucking, they'll pull the plug.

sorry. cant buy it. they wouldnt risk a season just to protect a contract and jeopardize their jobs and careers. and if so, like you say, then they definitely shoudl no longer be running this team.

I am still puzzled by why we traded for Tebow ? And that too if we did not want to play him.

If anyone in the JETS organization really thought Tebow was competition to Mark they should be.....oh well!

um.. I will try to explain it, I know it will be difficult to understand , but here goes... Last year Tim was QB of a NFL team that BEAT the JETS.. and that same team had

a 1.8% chance of making the playoffs but they did anyway, after Tebow took over (the defense was ranked 25th and Matt Prater is the bestest place kicker in the universe, not really but

of course every game they won was because of Prater only..except for the JETS loss to Tebow ) and he put over 300 yds in teh air against the number one defense in the playoffs..

That is why the JETS FO fell all over themselves, first trying to land Manning, then grabbing Tebow while the grabbing was good.

It is hard to understand, or puzzling if you are a died in the wool Tebow hater...

sorry. cant buy it. they wouldnt risk a season just to protect a contract and jeopardize their jobs and careers. and if so, like you say, then they definitely shoudl no longer be running this team.

So do you think Ryan is a great evaluator of talent..or just good when it fits ?

um.. I will try to explain it, I know it will be difficult to understand , but here goes... Last year Tim was QB of a NFL team that BEAT the JETS.. and that same team had

a 1.8% chance of making the playoffs but they did anyway, after Tebow took over (the defense was ranked 25th and Matt Prater is the bestest place kicker in the universe, not really but

of course every game they won was because of Prater only..except for the JETS loss to Tebow ) and he put over 300 yds in teh air against the number one defense in the playoffs..

That is why the JETS FO fell all over themselves, first trying to land Manning, then grabbing Tebow while the grabbing was good.

It is hard to understand, or puzzling if you are a died in the wool Tebow hater...

Wow..I am impressed. Maybe that exactly what the FO focused on in Tebow. The 46% odd completion rate, the playing of catch with the field 6 yards away from him et al may have been forgotten.

If only i had not watched all those Tebow games I would be super impressed too!

Wow..I am impressed. Maybe that exactly what the FO focused on in Tebow. The 46% odd completion rate, the playing of catch with the field 6 yards away from him et al may have been forgotten.

If only i had not watched all those Tebow games I would be super impressed too!

Or they looked at the obscene rate with which Decker & Thomas dropped catchable passes last year and figured he passes well enough for that 46% to be 55%. Still not too good, but certainly not as bad.

He still looks awkward throwing the ball, though. Someone brought up his more compact throwing motion (compared to what it was) but he still looks weird throwing.

If Tannenbaum actually missed these incentives -which are basically stock in a rookie QB deal- then hopefully this will be the final nail in the coffin. Trading for a player just to intentionally not play him because of salary concerns? Makes me proud to be a fan.

Or they looked at the obscene rate with which Decker & Thomas dropped catchable passes last year and figured he passes well enough for that 46% to be 55%. Still not too good, but certainly not as bad.

He still looks awkward throwing the ball, though. Someone brought up his more compact throwing motion (compared to what it was) but he still looks weird throwing.

Awkward throwing the ball? Awkward throwing the ball? It looks like there is sand and grit in his AC joint and it takes forever to get through th emotion.

You think Sanchez has a difficult time holding onto the ball with a rush? Wait until that rush reaches Tebow and that long motion. That ball will be on the ground at an alarming rate

Tebow made his bed in coming here, let him sleep in it. He thought he could come in here and light up New York, well sorry but that is pure ego. We share a stadium with the second most dominant football club of the past decade, sorry pal if your not getting the Tebow chants you thought you would. BTW Pride is one of the seven deadly sins.

This IMHO was Woody Johnson telling the Tannenbaum to go make this deal.

The Jets already had signed Drew Stanton to be Sanchez' backup for 2012 with the promise that if Sanchez struggled he would get an opportunity.

Great...Backup QB is taken care of. We now have a guy who isn't 53 years old backing up our QB.

Then all of sudden when Denver gets in the Manning sweepstakes the Jets for some ungodly reason go and bring in Tebow.

WHY ?

Why would all of a sudden Tannenbaum and Rex who SHOULD be making the calls on the make of this roster be suddenly interested in bringing in a guy is such a lightning rod ?

It made no sense then and it still doesn't make any sense. The only thing that makes sense is that Woody saw $$$$$, he saw back page headlines in bringing in Tebow.

Nobody on the Jets has any idea how to use the guy other than run up the middle with him. Tebow has become a black cloud that has engulfed this franchise and Woody either doesn't see it or doesn't want to see it.

It is arguably the worst move this franchise has made since bringing in Kotite to replace Pete Carroll back in 95.

Nothing personal but that 1.8% means absolutely nothing to me.

In 2002 the Jets started the year 1-3 and lost those 3 games by a combined score of 102-13. The offense and the team was dead in the water. Along comes this guy named Pennington who somehow manages to get the Jets offense working and they somehow manage to win a the division at 9-7, win a playoff game at home against Peyton Manning before getting beat by the Raiders in the division round.

It is not that great an accomplishment.

Awkward throwing the ball? Awkward throwing the ball? It looks like there is sand and grit in his AC joint and it takes forever to get through th emotion.

You think Sanchez has a difficult time holding onto the ball with a rush? Wait until that rush reaches Tebow and that long motion. That ball will be on the ground at an alarming rate

lol

You say this as though it's a bad thing. After the staff (and/or owner) moves on from Sanchez we must also wait for them to move on from Tebow. The faster both happen the better.

True. I was referring to the times when he starts throwing accurately I might add to the 45678th blade of rubber grass on the field.

His throws look as out of place on football field as Janet Jackson's gipple!

This may be the reason Rex won't start Tebow and why he hasn't even sent him in for mop up duty.... My mind is blown.

http://nyjetscap.com...apconcerns.html

"But the big one is Tim Tebow. Again I want to mention here that the information I have on Tebow is from his prior contract with Denver which I assume rolled over with the Jets, but I do not know for a fact if this is the case. So take this as a possibility and not 100% accurate.

Everyone is puzzled by the fact that Tebow never plays for the Jets. The starting QB the Jets have is terrible. There is no way to sugarcoat the performances no matter how much Rex Ryan tries to in every postgame press conference. In the games where the Jets have been blown away it was shocking that the team didn’t put in Tebow in mop up duty just to get a look at the player. With the exception of rookies taking their lumps almost no starting QB, except for the superstars, would have remained in the games against the San Francisco 49’ers or Miami Dolphins. In the summer Rex Ryan talked about playing Tebow 25% of the teams snaps. Thus far he has been in 10.1% and the number is falling.

Tebow is one of the last remaining players that should be playing under the old CBA rookie contract structure. Under the old CBA 1st round draft picks often had low base value deals to comply with CBA rules with easily attainable escalators based on playing time. For instance Dustin Keller this year saw his salary increase to $3.052 million as he entered the final year of his deal. As a QB drafted in the 1st round those incentives are increased dramatically. Tebow’s rookie contract had a base value of $9.7125 million with an easily achievable value of $11.125 million based on reaching the standard playing time escalators of either 35% as a rookie or 45% any year thereafter. He unlocked that in 2011 when he played in about 76% of the Broncos offensive snaps. As a first round QB he had the potential to turn the contract into a $33 million dollar deal through incentives that would only be realized if he turned out to be the next John Elway. The more realistic number was that the contract would be worth $22.5 million if he developed into a starting QB.

The additional $11.25 million, if earned, would be added onto the backend of Tebow’s 5 year contract in 2013 and 2014. He had two avenues to earn the escalators. If he played in 55% of the snaps in two of his first three seasons (2010-2012) he would earn an additional $5 million in 2013 and $6.25 million in 2014. If he plays in 70% of the snaps in 2013 he earns the full payment in 2014.

Tebow’s current cap number in 2013 is $2,586,875 which includes a guaranteed payment of $1,531,875 that goes to the Denver Broncos as part of the terms of the trade. If Tebow was to earn that escalator his cap charge would balloon to $7,586,875. That is a number the Jets cant handle next season, considering they owe Sanchez $8.25 million guaranteed next year and a cap charge of over $12.8 million. 2014 is not an issue for the Jets but clearly 2013 is and maybe that is playing a role in the management of Tebow’s snaps.

Over the summer the Jets proclaimed they were going to use Tebow close to 20 snaps per game which is about 25% of the teams offensive plays, specifically in the red zone. The Jets have played 546 offensive snaps through 8 weeks. If the Jets had played Tebow as advertised and continued at that pace the most they would likely be able to start him is the last 5 games to safely avoid the bonus. Had they used him in those blowout games early in the year you would be looking at is 4. With his current snap count and snap averages they should be able to get 7 starts out of him and miss the bonus payment. . Had they made move earlier to start they would be completely stuck with he and Sanchez eating up $20 million in cap room in 2013. If the escalators are a real possibility it at least may explain why the Jets don’t use him at all unless they really see him as that bad of a player in practice, which is why Denver coach John Fox used to say about his views on Tebow.

From Tebow’s side you have to be furious if this is the case and they are managing his potential earnings this way. Had Tebow chosen Jacksonville he clearly would be the starter. Not only is Blaine Gabbert often injured but when healthy he is completely ineffective. There would be no doubt that Tebow would be the starter and be earning the maximum realistic value on his contract. If Tebow is going to remain on the Jets I have a gut feeling that there had to be some assurance, especially the way the season has transpired, that Tebow will get every opportunity to start in 2013 and earn his money as his original contract stated.

Maybe it’s an Oliver Stone conspiracy on my part, but I think he is blocked for another game or two because of the concerns about the teams finances and the need to protect their cap in the event the owner puts his foot down and demands the switch to be made. Between Tebow’s potential salary and sunk costs in Sanchez there is a lot more going on than the negatives of Sanchez’ stats and “belief in Mark” by the head coach as the reasons for why the Jets are doing things the way they are. I just hope in 2013 the team is back to being run the way they were in the years leading up to 2012 where players played on merit and decisions were made to evaluate for the future when things went south. I truly believe that the Jets can navigate their “financial crisis” next year without issue, but something this year just does not sit right with me at all. "

Wow. I actually buy this quite a bit, and it sickens me that we have an accountant and "cap guru" as our GM who brought this mess upon our team. Disgusting.

They are purposefully wasting a whole season because of money.

That idea doesn't hold up to reality. Tebow fumbles far less than Sanchez and rarely in the red zone.

Wow. I actually buy this quite a bit, and it sickens me that we have an accountant and "cap guru" as our GM who brought this mess upon our team. Disgusting.

They are purposefully wasting a whole season because of money.

I would NOT put this past a football team to do.

The Bills supposedly did this to JP Losman in 2008, which was his final rookie contract year with the Bills. He had a $3 million escalator clause in his contract based on starting games/playing time/snaps, etc, and the Bills sat him and didn't play him again until Edwards got hurt, despite the fact that Edwards was playing about as well as Sanchez is this year. IIRC, the Bills put Edwards back at starter for the last, meaningless game of the season, and that may have convinced a lot of Bills fans of the team's cheapness.

The Jets just making the playoffs would go a long way toward both selling tickets, increasing sales for their gear, and saving Rex's job.

This year, it might not take much to make the wild card slot in the AFC East, perhaps 8-8 or even worse is a possibility.

If they delayed benching a totally ineffective QB and replacing him with an unorthodox QB who nevertheless led an NFL team to a playoff victory last year just to save some money.......that would be kissing a possible playoff slot away, and losing a lot more money than the contract bonuses will cost the club.

Besides betraying the fans, of course.

Archived