General Manager: No Way Out

dbatesman

Disagree. Brady made the most of the chance he was given. Nothing suggest he would have been given a chance if Bledsoe never went down. He may have gotten traded. No way to know. What we do know is Mo Lewis hammered Bledsoe and Brady got a shot. Feel free to make sh*t up if it feels good.

Plus is he was such an amazing talent why did he go in round 7?

idk the particulars of what happened with brady in college except that he was behind griese. maybe he was a late bloomer. why was montana a 3rd (4th?) rounder? best qb ever wasn't a number 1 pick...... but i fully believe his talent would have become apparent and it woul dhave happened anyway. feel free to disagree....either way the jets still suck

idk the particulars of what happened with brady in college except that he was behind griese. maybe he was a late bloomer. why was montana a 3rd (4th?) rounder? best qb ever wasn't a number 1 pick...... but i fully believe his talent would have become apparent and it woul dhave happened anyway. feel free to disagree....either way the jets still suck

3rd or 4th different than 7th. But yes JETS SUCK. How about a hug?

3rd or 4th different than 7th. But yes JETS SUCK. How about a hug?

but still underrated and sort of an afterthought....

why was kurt warner stocking shelves after college instead of being drafted?

point is sometimes they get it wrong at first but talent will win out eventually. if brady was only average i'd say yeah ok...but the guy is like top 5 easily. i know it sucks to admit that tom brady is great and would have been great with or without mo lewis......but it's true. good news is that he's definitely past his prime.......so it wont last too much longer. problem is i dont have any faith in the jets to be bale to take advantage once it happens. with our luck the dolphins will be a dynasty next.....

but still underrated and sort of an afterthought....

why was kurt warner stocking shelves after college instead of being drafted?

point is sometimes they get it wrong at first but talent will win out eventually. if brady was only average i'd say yeah ok...but the guy is like top 5 easily. i know it sucks to admit that tom brady is great and would have been great with or without mo lewis......but it's true. good news is that he's definitely past his prime.......so it wont last too much longer. problem is i dont have any faith in the jets to be bale to take advantage once it happens. with our luck the dolphins will be a dynasty next.....

My point was never Tom Brady sucks. Guy is great. But he could have ended up outta the league and spent time in the CFL or any other crap league before getting his shot. May have not been with the Pats at that point. Just like Warner. Good point.

Jerry Jones was a football player and didn't make his personal fortune in his family's (life insurance) business. He isn't anything remotely like Woody Johnson in either regard.

Conversely, John Mara and Steve Tisch inherited the Giants from their daddies. They didn't exactly work their way up. Ditto Irsay with the Colts and probably a good number of others. Woody brings in sucky people because he doesn't know any better, not because he didn't earn this or that.

Is Bob Kraft a "real" football person, as you put it? Or did he just know enough to find them and hire them?

As football team owners, some guys quickly (or somewhat quickly) pick up what is right and who are the right people to surround themselves with. Others suck and are clueless and surround themselves with the same. Woody falls into the latter category.

As Steve Spurrier once said: "hindsight is always 50/50".

Some of these decisions looked good at the time and don't work out, others do.

You can point to Kraft and BB but what would have happened without Mo Lewis collapsing Bledsoe's lung? Dick Vermiel was on a one-way journey back out of football before Trent Green's knee imploded in preseason.

How about Cowher, how long did it take for him to win a Super Bowl?

What about Dan Snyder? First he was too hands on, then he brought in a proven winner in Schottenheimer, then Spurrier, then back to Gibbs....all failures. Now he turned the entire franchise over to Allen/Shanhan and have the exact same results.

Part of the process is decision making and part of it is just dumb luck. Woody has actually been a pretty good owner who got stuck with a pretty bad QB. Tannenbaum needs to go as a result.

Rex has had as much success as any coach in recent Jets history, more if you consider the albatross of Sanchez. Give Rex a top-tier NFL QB and he takes this team to the Super Bowl....seriously. Give Rex an average NFL QB (Alex Smith maybe?) who doesn't turn the ball over and this team is in the playoffs every year and Super Bowl contender.

Like life isn't depressing enough... we had to be born Jets fans. There's no other team I'd bleed for though. Guess I have a lot of blood.

I don't even want to really think about how the awful the next batch of years will be if we don't hire a guy that understands what the hell he is doing.

But it could be worse.. we could be Browns fans.

Belichick left because he wanted to be his own man NOT Parcells' puppet, and NE offered him that.

Parcells left because he wanted to maintain his reputation as a football genius.

Their subsequent careers bear this out: Parcells has never won a playoff game as a HC without Bill Belichick as his DC, and he left Miami saddled with a crap coach and depleted talent after his stint as the Carp GM. Meanwhile, we all know what Belichick has done since he left the Jets.

Belicheck left with Parcells coaching staff and has never won anything without them. Also, cheating helps - but most of the core of those Super Bowl teams in New England were drafted/signed by Parcells. Also, try to remember that Parcells has has other good coaching staffs since. Coughlin and Payton also coached under him. No one wanted these guys - but Parcells picked them up and saw something in them. How many super bowl winning coaches came from the Belicheck coaching tree? Parcells assembled a talented team in Dallas, until Jerry Jones became overbearing. But thats a place that no one since Jimmy Johnson has been able to win in. Compared to others that have been in Dallas, Parcells did pretty well. Especially drafting/signing player. As far as Miami - not many people have been able to do much of anything in Miami since Don Shula and Parcells, for whatever reason was not there very long. Parcells is not perfect - but he can recognize talent in both coaches and players.

Archived