Rex or Mangini

sirlancemehlot

Rex took over Mangini's offense. A top Oline, top running game, decent recieving corps, quality locker room. Mediocre defense. For two years he was successful with Mangini guys on the team. Then the dismantling began. The lcoker room was purged of character and replaced with talent. Troublesome, loudmouth talent. And the locker room was "divided" to the point where LaDainian Tomlinson called the "worst he's ever seen". Cotchery splits early on. He's replaced with Mason, or Plaxico, depending how you look at it. Woodhead becomes McKnight. Holmes is made Captain. Thomas Jones becomes Shonn Greene. Shaun Ellis becomes...gulp...Xerxes. And we draft badly.

Similarities include both coaches being saddled with QB's they never wanted: Favre/Tebow in order to sell PSL's.

Mangini is 8-4 before the Favre nose-dive. Loses his job over it.

Rex bets the house on Mark Sanchez. And the offense goes from good to bad as the offense disintigrates.

Mangini Drafts: D'Brick, Mangold, Eric Smith, Brad Smith, Leon Washington, Drew Coleman,Revis, David Harris Chansi Stuckey, Keller. Gholston was a bad pick but we that same year we signed Faneca, Pace, Woody, T-Rich, Jenkins and...Favre.

Rex picks: Sanchez, Greene, Slauson, Wilson, Ducasse, McKnight, Connor, Wilkerson, Ellis, Powell, Kerley McElroy FA: Holmes, Cromartie, Shlauderaff, Scott, Leonard

Mangini inherited a 4-12 team and took thento 10-6, back to 4-12, then to 9-7

Rex inherited a 9-7 team and went 9-7, 11-5, 8-8, ?

So. Obviously Tannenbaum is bad at football stuff. But setting him aside, who would you rather have building your team going forward? For me, its not that obvious an answer.

Personally I think they both sucked.

Mangini was propped up by the veterans he inherited from Herm, specifically Pennington, in his first year. Both Mangini and Schotty were propelled by Favre (while healthy) in the 3rd year, but Favre blew off his offensive coaching and Mangini still put forward a bottom half of the league defense.

Rex was propped up by the veterans he inherited from Mangini, guys like Ellis, T-Rich, the entire O-line, and most of the defenders. He was also propelled by circumstance, they lucked their way into the playoffs once and let bravado carry them to a loss in the AFCC game. The next year was legit, then they let bravado undermine them in the AFCC game vs. the Steelers. The veterans moved on, and this team went to sh*t quickly.

Neither is a very good head coach.

I really do wish Woody had called Cowher, still. I also wish we'd have gone after Kubiak back before Arian Foster emerged and Wade Phillips made that defense nasty, there was a point where Kubiak was on the hot seat big time in Houston. Now they are contenders, legit.

As pissed as I am with this team right now...I take Rex over Mangini every time. He was another BB disciple who thought he'd achieved something in the league but he was nothing but a towel boy who got a job by association. How'd he do in Cleveland?

I think Rex has been dung the past two years. But he won 4 playoff games!!!l Norv Turner loses with talent twice as good as Rex. Marty Schottenheimer could have an NFL All-Star team and he would lose somewhere short of the Super Bowl. Whatever players he inherited he got 4 playoff wins out of them. I think he can coach. His problem is he refuses to manage the locker room, or to learn anything about offensive football. That is like a heart surgeon saying he knows hearts but not lungs. Rex probably should not be in charge.

If the Jets were getting even average QB play, this thread wouldn't exist.

Wrong. This team as currently constructed needs ABOVE average QB play to be any kind of good team. You need a QB that can make jags into stars and porous offensive lines into champions. There aren't many QBs like that out there and certainly not one on this roster, available next season in free agency or available in the draft. We're screwed.

Crush, just because the Jets' QBs collectively and individually suck doesn't mean that the rest of the offensive skill players don't suck, too. I like Kerley, and I'd give Hill a chance to grow, but the rest of them... ?

I'm hoping Tannenbaum gets canned. It's the only hope. If Rex has to go, too, then so be it, but I'd rather he get a chance under someone capable of bringing in talent.

why?? Politics??

I would like to see McElroy. I think he has better awareness and isnt rattled as easily.

Keep Tebow for Wildcat if you want, but Sanchez needs to hold the clipboard.

They see these QBs everyday. Does Sanchez' contract play a role? Yeah, I'm certain it plays a large one. But I'm also pretty confident that what they see in their other two QBs is a factor, too.

Crush, just because the Jets' QBs collectively and individually suck doesn't mean that the rest of the offensive skill players don't suck, too. I like Kerley, and I'd give Hill a chance to grow, but the rest of them... ?

I'm hoping Tannenbaum gets canned. It's the only hope. If Rex has to go, too, then so be it, but I'd rather he get a chance under someone capable of bringing in talent.

To a point. But great QB play sometimes turns turds into world beaters. Do you think Victor Cruz would have been the same guy if he was playing with Sanchez? I don;t.

To a point. But great QB play sometimes turns turds into world beaters. Do you think Victor Cruz would have been the same guy if he was playing with Sanchez? I don;t.

Nope, me either.

First step in the new talent hunt should be a QB, just saying they shouldn't stop there.

If the Jets were getting even average QB play, this thread wouldn't exist.

...and I have to put just more than a little blame on Rex for Sanchez' lack of development and the lack of a qualified backup. At no point in Rex's reign has he had the opportunity to hand Mark a clipboard and tell him to watch and learn...the only tool a HC has is the bench...all the talk about practice reps for Brunnel and other psychological ploys are just empty words...now we are past the point with Sanchez...might have had other options with Orton or Campbell.

I like Hill and Kerley as well...also think Greene could stay if we had a better complementary back as well...just not the bell cow Rex envisioned...agreed Tanny has to go...IMO...too many deals made in regards to contracts instead of football...part of me wants to like Rex...but I can't see the follow through...he's bravado at the worst and reminds me more and more of his father every day...and I mean the Buddy Ryan with the Cards...just not and entertaining product and can't see that changing with him still here.

Just to throw this out there...probably deserves its own thread...but rumors has it Chip Kelly comes to the NFL if the Ducks can win a championship...thank you Aggies...there's a chance...the new Cleveland owner is already sniffing and supposedly is willing to outspend Phil Nike to get him to the Brownies...would like to see a clean slate here and Woody make a play for him. Their pace and style will take the league by storm.

Everyone is a genius until they have a losing season.

Remember when Eric Mangini was "Mangenius". How long did that last? Remember when everyone wanted to play for Rex "The Mad Scientist"? Yeah, now, 1 losing season, he's horrible.

The talent level has deteriorated . Both units are missing their best player. Its a new offense, a horrible one and the Jets have the worst QB in the league. Hard to win like that. In fact, I dont think people realize how hard it is to win with the likes of Mark Sanchez as your QB, period. Its nearly impossible but some how Rex has managed to do it, until now and this ****er is a mess.

Blow it up!

Everyone is a genius until they have a losing season.

Remember when Eric Mangini was "Mangenius". How long did that last? Remember when everyone wanted to play for Rex "The Mad Scientist"? Yeah, now, 1 losing season, he's horrible.

The talent level has deteriorated . Both units are missing their best player. Its a new offense, a horrible one and the Jets have the worst QB in the league. Hard to win like that. In fact, I dont think people realize how hard it is to win with the likes of Mark Sanchez as your QB, period. Its nearly impossible but some how Rex has managed to do it, until now and this ****er is a mess.

Blow it up!

Mangini was 8-3 before Favre's arm fell off. He got fired for not benching Favre.

Nope, me either.

First step in the new talent hunt should be a QB, just saying they shouldn't stop there.

Agreed. But I really think an accurate and confideng QB would make the guys we have now better. Maybe not good enough but better. No level of talent surrounding Sanchez would make a difference.

there aint one in 2013 draft mon, maybe jets should have taken freeman and not trade up mon

There's no Andrew Luck or RG3 true, but there's going to be someone who pans out. How many people, after last year's college season though Ryan Tannenhill would be throwing for 300+ yard games? There's always going to be someone who surprised people and it's our scouting departments job to find them. I don't have faith in them to do so, but hey, they seemed like they were high on russell wilson, maybe then can find someone else. That and this team will never be bad enough to get the first or second overall pick and that's where the elite franchise signal callers go. We just gotta hope a roethlisberger type falls to pick 7 or 8 some year for us.

There's no Andrew Luck or RG3 true, but there's going to be someone who pans out. How many people, after last year's college season though Ryan Tannenhill would be throwing for 300+ yard games? There's always going to be someone who surprised people and it's our scouting departments job to find them. I don't have faith in them to do so, but hey, they seemed like they were high on russell wilson, maybe then can find someone else. That and this team will never be bad enough to get the first or second overall pick and that's where the elite franchise signal callers go. We just gotta hope a roethlisberger type falls to pick 7 or 8 some year for us.

Very bad year for Qbs and if Tanny picks it it will be real bad mon

Can we agree that Tannenbaum subverted both of them?

Sort of. He twisted Mangini's arm on the Favre thing and then fired him when it didn't work out, but Mangini kind of subverted himself by panicking and restructuring the entire defense after the loss to the Broncos. The problem as it pertains to Rex is that Tannenbaum's basically just given him enough rope to hang himself. He acquiesced on the Sanchez thing even though Rex doesn't know dick about offense, and then a year later he lets him blow a fifth-rounder on a ****ing fullback. He was all about character when Mangini was here, then the second Rex walks through the door he can't acquire other teams' problems fast enough. Someone (Aten maybe?) has made this point before, but the main problem is simple: Rex is a big fat loudmouth who thinks he invented the game, and Tannenbaum has shamelessly indulged him at practically every turn.

He's got exactly three skills: hiring promising coaches, giving them enough responsibility that they can shoulder all the blame when things go wrong, and convincing Woody to let him fire them. As little faith as I have in Woody to choose a replacement, Tannenbaum is such a gutless sh*theel that the franchise will immediately be better off the day he's out the door.

Sort of. He twisted Mangini's arm on the Favre thing and then fired him when it didn't work out, but Mangini kind of subverted himself by panicking and restructuring the entire defense after the loss to the Broncos. The problem as it pertains to Rex is that Tannenbaum's basically just given him enough rope to hang himself. He acquiesced on the Sanchez thing even though Rex doesn't know dick about offense, and then a year later he lets him blow a fifth-rounder on a ****ing fullback. He was all about character when Mangini was here, then the second Rex walks through the door he can't acquire other teams' problems fast enough. Someone (Aten maybe?) has made this point before, but the main problem is simple: Rex is a big fat loudmouth who thinks he invented the game, and Tannenbaum has shamelessly indulged him at practically every turn.

He's got exactly three skills: hiring promising coaches, giving them enough responsibility that they can shoulder all the blame when things go wrong, and convincing Woody to let him fire them. As little faith as I have in Woody to choose a replacement, Tannenbaum is such a gutless sh*theel that the franchise will immediately be better off the day he's out the door.

Glorious post.

Very bad year for Qbs and if Tanny picks it it will be real bad mon

Definitely not arguing that point, the top end talent is terrible and there's not many guys that stand out, but I've heard that many times before and someone usually pans out. It also depends on the pick; the same QB taken in the first that's a bad pick, could be a steal in the second or third. I think it's a perfect opportunity to select a QB if they see someone they like in the 2nd or 3rd and let someone finally compete with Sanchez and either beat him out or sit and learn for a year. Not learn from sanchez, but learn what it means to be in the NFL.

Rapes and all?

Rapes and all. As long as we have a quasi-star WR malcontent to pawn off on a clown franchise to be the scape-goat, we'll be all set. Funny thing is, we have that very same goat on our team who may very well be in the last year of a contract by the time we have a new starting QB lol.

Mangini sucked. The 2006 season was a fluke/weak schedule with Chad not taking any chances. Does anyone even remember that playoff game? yeah neither do I.

Mangini did a nice job with the 2006 draft(in hindsight wasnt exactly rocket science there either) and landed us Revis. The 2007 offseason is what really turned this team around though. Woody, Faneca, Jones, Jenkins, Pace(at the time) were all immediate contributors and better than the league average at their position.

As a head coach though...meh...the defense always sucked....there were just as many SOJ losses during that era as any others. I guess the nice thing was he knew how to manage the clock and we werent penalized much. The talent was really anything that great. Not to mention treating the players like babies.

Archived