Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sirlancemehlot

Rex or Mangini

69 posts in this topic

Everyone is a genius until they have a losing season.

Remember when Eric Mangini was "Mangenius". How long did that last? Remember when everyone wanted to play for Rex "The Mad Scientist"? Yeah, now, 1 losing season, he's horrible.

The talent level has deteriorated . Both units are missing their best player. Its a new offense, a horrible one and the Jets have the worst QB in the league. Hard to win like that. In fact, I dont think people realize how hard it is to win with the likes of Mark Sanchez as your QB, period. Its nearly impossible but some how Rex has managed to do it, until now and this ****er is a mess.

Blow it up!

Mangini was 8-3 before Favre's arm fell off. He got fired for not benching Favre.

Nope, me either.

First step in the new talent hunt should be a QB, just saying they shouldn't stop there.

Agreed. But I really think an accurate and confideng QB would make the guys we have now better. Maybe not good enough but better. No level of talent surrounding Sanchez would make a difference.

there aint one in 2013 draft mon, maybe jets should have taken freeman and not trade up mon

There's no Andrew Luck or RG3 true, but there's going to be someone who pans out. How many people, after last year's college season though Ryan Tannenhill would be throwing for 300+ yard games? There's always going to be someone who surprised people and it's our scouting departments job to find them. I don't have faith in them to do so, but hey, they seemed like they were high on russell wilson, maybe then can find someone else. That and this team will never be bad enough to get the first or second overall pick and that's where the elite franchise signal callers go. We just gotta hope a roethlisberger type falls to pick 7 or 8 some year for us.

There's no Andrew Luck or RG3 true, but there's going to be someone who pans out. How many people, after last year's college season though Ryan Tannenhill would be throwing for 300+ yard games? There's always going to be someone who surprised people and it's our scouting departments job to find them. I don't have faith in them to do so, but hey, they seemed like they were high on russell wilson, maybe then can find someone else. That and this team will never be bad enough to get the first or second overall pick and that's where the elite franchise signal callers go. We just gotta hope a roethlisberger type falls to pick 7 or 8 some year for us.

Very bad year for Qbs and if Tanny picks it it will be real bad mon

We just gotta hope a roethlisberger type falls to pick 7 or 8 some year for us.

Rapes and all?

Sort of. He twisted Mangini's arm on the Favre thing and then fired him when it didn't work out, but Mangini kind of subverted himself by panicking and restructuring the entire defense after the loss to the Broncos. The problem as it pertains to Rex is that Tannenbaum's basically just given him enough rope to hang himself. He acquiesced on the Sanchez thing even though Rex doesn't know dick about offense, and then a year later he lets him blow a fifth-rounder on a ****ing fullback. He was all about character when Mangini was here, then the second Rex walks through the door he can't acquire other teams' problems fast enough. Someone (Aten maybe?) has made this point before, but the main problem is simple: Rex is a big fat loudmouth who thinks he invented the game, and Tannenbaum has shamelessly indulged him at practically every turn.

He's got exactly three skills: hiring promising coaches, giving them enough responsibility that they can shoulder all the blame when things go wrong, and convincing Woody to let him fire them. As little faith as I have in Woody to choose a replacement, Tannenbaum is such a gutless sh*theel that the franchise will immediately be better off the day he's out the door.

Glorious post.

Very bad year for Qbs and if Tanny picks it it will be real bad mon

Definitely not arguing that point, the top end talent is terrible and there's not many guys that stand out, but I've heard that many times before and someone usually pans out. It also depends on the pick; the same QB taken in the first that's a bad pick, could be a steal in the second or third. I think it's a perfect opportunity to select a QB if they see someone they like in the 2nd or 3rd and let someone finally compete with Sanchez and either beat him out or sit and learn for a year. Not learn from sanchez, but learn what it means to be in the NFL.

Rapes and all?

Rapes and all. As long as we have a quasi-star WR malcontent to pawn off on a clown franchise to be the scape-goat, we'll be all set. Funny thing is, we have that very same goat on our team who may very well be in the last year of a contract by the time we have a new starting QB lol.

Mangini sucked. The 2006 season was a fluke/weak schedule with Chad not taking any chances. Does anyone even remember that playoff game? yeah neither do I.

Mangini did a nice job with the 2006 draft(in hindsight wasnt exactly rocket science there either) and landed us Revis. The 2007 offseason is what really turned this team around though. Woody, Faneca, Jones, Jenkins, Pace(at the time) were all immediate contributors and better than the league average at their position.

As a head coach though...meh...the defense always sucked....there were just as many SOJ losses during that era as any others. I guess the nice thing was he knew how to manage the clock and we werent penalized much. The talent was really anything that great. Not to mention treating the players like babies.

Edited by Matt39

Mangini sucked. The 2006 season was a fluke/weak schedule with Chad not taking any chances. Does anyone even remember that playoff game? yeah neither do I.

Mangini did a nice job with the 2006 draft(in hindsight wasnt exactly rocket science there either) and landed us Revis. The 2007 offseason is what really turned this team around though. Woody, Faneca, Jones, Jenkins, Pace(at the time) were all immediate contributors and better than the league average at their position.

As a head coach though...meh...the defense always sucked....there were just as many SOJ losses during that era as any others. I guess the nice thing was he knew how to manage the clock and we werent penalized much. The talent was really anything that great.

He sucked both places he went. He tried to change the culture of the Browns by painting over their wall of fame or whatever. lol. Who the **** is he again? What has he accomplished? He brought over all the JAGs from the Jets and thought he was going to win in Cleveland. Guy sucked that why he's on TV now.

Rex every day and 10 times on Sunday.

Edited by stoicsentry

hologram weeb ewbank would run circles around these clowns.

Cleveland does not count. It never ever counts. No HC can make Cleveland relevent. Cleveland is where coaches go to die. Except Bill Belichek--who got a chance to try again after his stint in Cleveland and will probably go to the Hall of Fame as one of the greatest coaches ever. And a major Cheater (Mangini outed him, remember?)

Mangini and Pete Carroll are two guys we pulled the trigger on a season too soon in my opinion. Rex, however, I think I've seen enough of. He's a defensive coordinator moonlighting as a HC/media hound. And our team is now a laughingstock. A joke. A circus. A punchline. Carroll and Mangini were both better at putting together teams you could get behind and honestly root for. I don't give a rats ass about a single player on our roster, and generally dislike the group overall. And we're losing, to boot.

At the end of the day, its the snake-oil salesman that's to blame. Or should I say, chameleon. He is who he needs to be to keep Woody happy, and the HC pacified. And when the team sucks, he becomes a henchman weilding pink slips. But he can't put a decent team together on his own. He picks the guys his coaches want (obviously) so he can blame them for poor personnel decisions. Hell he even drafted Mark's drinking buddy at one point. It begins with Tannenbaum, and ends with a new coach, and a new QB--in that order.

As a head coach though...meh...the defense always sucked....there were just as many SOJ losses during that era as any others. I guess the nice thing was he knew how to manage the clock and we werent penalized much. The talent was really anything that great. Not to mention treating the players like babies.

D'Brick, Mangold, Eric Smith, Brad Smith, Leon Washington, Drew Coleman, Darrelle Revis, David Harris Chansi Stuckey, Dustin Keller. Faneca, Pace, Woody, T-Rich, Jenkins, Thomas Jones

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. Mangini was here three years. There are ten guys above that made the pro-bowl (bolded) That's a hell of a lot of talent in a three year span.

Rex took the JETS to 2 AFC championships with Mangini's guys!

No one is benching Favre when the guy a a continuous game record in tact, plus it was Brett Favre, anyone who

said they would of benched him is full of crap.

Lets not forget Rex's 1st year he was gifted into the playoffs when

Indy and I think Tennessee both played the JV's..Indy would have buried the Jets that year.

Rex's 1st 2 years he had 75% of Mangini's roster and 60% of his coaches. Why they didn't

offer to pay Bill Callahan a fortune to stay at O line coach is beyond me.

Rex can coach X's and O's no one disputes this., but when you bring in and draft guys

with character issues and allow them to run off at the mouth this is what you going to get.

Mangini was young when he was here but this kind of crap would never happen under his watch.

Its comedy tragic theater now.

The ship has sailed on reigning these guys in, just the comment on Tebow, a player on your team just trying to earn a living shows you how unprofessional this has gotten

Rex being the gambler bet the house on Sanchez..and sadly.................................

I personally wanted to see Mangini get another year, but understood his firing.

I don't think either is a great HC.

I think Mangini had a much better plan for the franchise, and was executing his plan, whether it would have ever yielded big results, who knows.

I think Rex is a better defensive mind than Mangini, but as I have said over and over again, he is not a leader of a franchise, and you cannot ignore the offense as he has done.

The drafting and personnel decisions speak for themselves between the two guys, pretty much same FO around them.

If not for the Gholston bust, Mangini's years drafting and FA pickups would have been considered incredible, but even with, were still very good.

For me, I would take Mangini over Rex any day of the week.

Rex is a clown. He was a change of pace explosive type guy who yielded good results with a lot of luck his first 2 years, but that is done, and he has lost this team for good.

He must go now!

Rex can be an excellent head coach, as long as he's part of a solid organization. If the Jets had a strong GM in charge, who understood talent evaluation and simply got the best players and told Rex to coach them, Rex would be much better off. Rex is a very smart football guy, but he's also an emotional guy who lets his emotions cloud his decisions.

Mangini is on TV not because he sucks so much as because he's a black-balled rat. He should be an assistant GM somewhere, but he's a rat.

Rex can be an excellent head coach, as long as he's part of a solid organization. If the Jets had a strong GM in charge, who understood talent evaluation and simply got the best players and told Rex to coach them, Rex would be much better off. Rex is a very smart football guy, but he's also an emotional guy who lets his emotions cloud his decisions.

Mangini is on TV not because he sucks so much as because he's a black-balled rat. He should be an assistant GM somewhere, but he's a rat.

where is the evidence that rexey is a smart football guy?

Knows diddly about offense and ST's, and his defenses have gotten worse each yr he has been here. I think Rexey killed Robbie's chances at being a HC, and i dont think Robbie

is anything special either, their pops was for sure.

where is the evidence that rexey is a smart football guy?

Knows diddly about offense and ST's, and his defenses have gotten worse each yr he has been here. I think Rexey killed Robbie's chances at being a HC, and i dont think Robbie

is anything special either, their pops was for sure.

Last year was the first year, either here or in Baltimore, where Rex's defense finished outside of the top six in the league. Find me another coach on either side of the ball who's had a similar seven year run if you want to say Rex isn't a smart football guy. The man knows football, especially defensive football.

Last year was the first year, either here or in Baltimore, where Rex's defense finished outside of the top six in the league. Find me another coach on either side of the ball who's had a similar seven year run if you want to say Rex isn't a smart football guy. The man knows football, especially defensive football.

Yep. And even the people who rip Rex in the media admit he's a solid defense guy. Far better than Mangini, who coached both sides of the ball poorly.

Rex will probably want another HC job when he's done here, but he should settle for a DC job with a solid organization and, if possible, a good QB on the other side.

Either way, he'll be in football next year. He won't be a TV analyst like Mangini. Though if Rex WERE to become a TV analyst, it would probably be good entertainment. No matter what we say now, the 2010 season of Hard Knocks was some of the funniest television I've ever seen.

Edited by Jetsfan80

Yep. And even the people who rip Rex in the media admit he's a solid defense guy. Far better than Mangini, who coached both sides of the ball poorly.

Rex will probably want another HC job when he's done here, but he should settle for a DC job with a solid organization and, if possible, a good QB on the other side.

Either way, he'll be in football next year. He won't be a TV analyst like Mangini. Though if Rex WERE to become a TV analyst, it would probably be good entertainment. No matter what we say now, the 2010 season of Hard Knocks was some of the funniest television I've ever seen.

Just a couple of weeks ago, you were calling fans that wanted the head of Rex, stupid.

Imagine where you will be with a couple more weeks of this.

Just a couple of weeks ago, you were calling fans that wanted the head of Rex, stupid.

Imagine where you will be with a couple more weeks of this.

I also admitted that, if he were to be done here after this, it will be because of his support of Mark Sanchez, not because he's a poor coach. You've maintained otherwise.

He's definitely a good x and o guy defensively, but IMO that does not by itself make him a good football guy.

I think he is terrible with personnel assessment, and cannot manage or lead a locker

He's definitely a good x and o guy defensively, but IMO that does not by itself make him a good football guy.

I think he is terrible with personnel assessment, and cannot manage or lead a locker

Jets could do a lot worse than having a quality x and o guy as the head coach. See: Edwards, Herm; Mangini, Eric.

As I said, personnel assessment shouldn't be his job. He should be working for a strong GM. As for the locker room, I think he overestimated his abilities there. The Jets brought in too many malcontents. There's a happy medium between Mangini's boy scouts and this motley crew, they need to find it.