Pro Football Talk - "Shonn Greene thinks it’s time for a change at the quarterback position"

JoeC36

Posted by Mike Florio on November 14, 2012, 9:41 PM EST

Reuters

It’s a good thing the Jets aren’t a circus.

To cap a day in which multiple Jets said backup quarterback Tim Tebow is “terrible,” coach Rex Ryan called out the unnamed critics as cowardly, and Tebow expressed sadness at the situation, running back Shonn Greene went the other way, suggesting that maybe the clocks should finally be set to Tebow Time.

Something’s got to change,” Greene told Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports. “When you get to the point where you’re 3-6, and losing and losing, a couple of guys are like, ‘Oh, what would happen [if Tebow played]? But guys at the same time have faith in Mark, so it’s kind of an up-and-down thing.

“You feel bad for Mark, but at the same time you want to win games. We’re not here to protect people’s feelings. If you want to win games, you’ve got to try something. If somebody’s not getting the job done, you see if somebody else can do it. It’s the same with coaching, or any position. You don’t mean to belittle someone or say ‘he sucks.’ That’s just the harsh reality.”

The problem is that it’s now too late to switch to Tebow. If it works, and if the Jets actually start winning, it likely will be too late to help them get to the playoffs. Which would serve only to invite questions regarding why the Jets didn’t make the change sooner.

The bigger problem is that the Jets appear to have the beginnings of a schism. Yes. Schism.

And it possibly wasn’t an accident that Greene included coaching in his list of things that may need to be changed for the team to become successful.

http://profootballta...rback-position/

If Silver had any balls, or was actually interested in anything Jet related not just Tim Tebow his follow up question should have been do the Jets also need a change at the RB position? Or any offensive position, or coach for that matter that whole side of the ball is just brutal including Greene!

This is the exact meltdown day in media I feared when we traded for Tebow. I thought it would be Week 4 or 5. But its finally here. From this point here every loss will only magnify the noise in media. And this is why the Tebow trade bafffled me.

If the Jets weren't PUTRID, you wouldn't hear about any of this. They ARE putrid, so of course you're hearing it. Time for a change.

It does not matter how bad Tim Tebow or McElroy are. At all.

It's simply a matter of accountability at this point. You can't keep a starter in that performs this poorly at their job. One of the main things you'll hear from the majority of professional athletes is that they view practice and games as going to work. it's their profession and it's what they do for a living. This is supposed to be amplified in the NFL, because contracts aren't fully guaranteed and the level of competition for guys trying to take your job always seems to have the appearance of having a greater degree than other sports. Further, the NFL charges insane amounts for ticket prices, and the Jets in particular have dug their own grave with backlash when it comes to that one.

I bring this up for 2 reasons. First, keeping Mark Sanchez in at his position sends a bad message to the team. It says we won't bench you, no matter how badly you screw up and underperform your contract, if we don't feel the person behind you can do any better. So basically, we've screwed up so badly prior to you sucking, that you now get to benefit from this. And that's simply not how competition works.

Second, and more importantly, it sends a horrible message to the fans who shell out infinite sums of money every year to watch this crap franchise. It says that they won't deem terrible play as unacceptable. That they'll deal with it, because like they've signified to the players, they've messed up so bad that there's no other choice. And that we should just deal with it, and trust them another year, because they extended him for 2 years and that there's some grand plan with all of this. And we know that there isn't one, even though they don't possibly see how we could think this. And this is the problem with Woody's entire tenure with the Jets. He assumes that fans are stupid and lives in this fantasy world where the internet doesn't exist. As if we don't have easy access to player salary numbers and the financials behind PSLs. Or are able to instantly communicate with each other the second after Rex stupidly declares that Sanchez is still the starter or that anonymous rips on Tebow won't be instant national news within 10 seconds.

You simply have to bench him at this point. It doesn't even matter who else comes in, bring in the kid from the Sandlot who couldn't throw for all I care, you can't pay a dude this much money only to let him just throw in the towel and just keep him in.

I hate this ****ing team.

If the Jets weren't PUTRID, you wouldn't hear about any of this. They ARE putrid, so of course you're hearing it. Time for a change.

If the JETS had TALENT they won't be PUTRID. The do not have TALENT so they are PUTRID.

The Tebow trades adds to that lack of talent. We gave up a 4th and a 6th and 2.5 mill in salary for a fake QB. When most you have to give for a backup is 1 or 2 mill!

Those picks could be used to add talent via draft. That money in combo with a few more million could have landed a playmaker or someone on the OL!

And i not even mentioning the media circus. The whole episode might put the team in a long slumber for a long long time just when it looked they might be close to ending the drought!

It's simply a matter of accountability at this point. You can't keep a starter in that performs this poorly at their job.

Then the man who made this quote should lose his job. So should Keller. Hell, the only players on offense who should keep their job based on what you said are Brick, Mangold and Kerley. Everyone else has performed poorly enough to lose their starting spot.

But it's easier to make one big change. It's not coming. Deal with it.

Mark has played far worse this season than I ever expected, and he's getting worse. His contract extension could prove to be one of the best moves in franchise history - if it gets Tannenbaum fired.

Hate to say it. Really hate to say it. But they should probably make the move to Tebow sooner rather than later. They need to see what he can do first hand. It could easily be worse than what we've already got, but at least then they'll know and can act accordingly in the offseason. They can't go into the winter with any questions about what Tebow is or isn't. At this point, the Sanchez question's been answered.

I wish the weather got warmer as the season wore on, that way I could go outside and find stuff to do.

Then the man who made this quote should lose his job. So should Keller. Hell, the only players on offense who should keep their job based on what you said are Brick, Mangold and Kerley. Everyone else has performed poorly enough to lose their starting spot.

I'll be shocked if the Jets could find a really good GM who wants to put his name on the 2013 Jets. Maxed out on the cap and either don't have players under contract for 2013, or need outright replacements for the ones who are, for the following positions on offense:

QB, RB, FB, WR1, WR4+, TE, LG (or go with Ducasse), RG, RT.

and the following on defense:

OLB x2, FS, SS. Ellis/Harrison/other will start at NT unless Pouha is somehow willing to cut his salary in half. Number of starting safeties needed cuts in half if Bush can start next year.

Plus the owner claims he's hell-bent on not moving Tebow in '13. If I'm a GM looking for a rebuild project, joining the Jets in 2013 instead of 2014 gives me 1 less mulligan year.

Mark has played far worse this season than I ever expected, and he's getting worse. His contract extension could prove to be one of the best moves in franchise history - if it gets Tannenbaum fired.

Hate to say it. Really hate to say it. But they should probably make the move to Tebow sooner rather than later. They need to see what he can do first hand. It could easily be worse than what we've already got, but at least then they'll know and can act accordingly in the offseason. They can't go into the winter with any questions about what Tebow is or isn't. At this point, the Sanchez question's been answered.

I wish the weather got warmer as the season wore on, that way I could go outside and find stuff to do.

The problem is, they cant just put Tebow in there. He needs to run his type of plays in his type of offense. It is a totally different offense we would be making a move to not just a different person taking the snaps under center. If thats the case, McElroy should replace Sanchez. Right now, it is not looking good. 2 more losses and and we really start looking at draft needs and QBs for next year.

This is the exact meltdown day in media I feared when we traded for Tebow. I thought it would be Week 4 or 5. But its finally here. From this point here every loss will only magnify the noise in media. And this is why the Tebow trade bafffled me.

The "meltdown" isn't coming from Tebow being on the team. It is coming from Sanchez blowing the donkey. If he played even moderately average we wouldn't have threads on here calling for McElroy to start.

He didn't say he shouldn't. He said "that goes for every position."

I'll be shocked if the Jets could find a really good GM who wants to put his name on the 2013 Jets. Maxed out on the cap and either don't have players under contract for 2013, or need outright replacements for the ones who are, for the following positions on offense:

QB, RB, FB, WR1, WR4+, TE, LG (or go with Ducasse), RG, RT.

and the following on defense:

OLB x2, FS, SS. Ellis/Harrison/other will start at NT unless Pouha is somehow willing to cut his salary in half. Number of starting safeties needed cuts in half if Bush can start next year.

Plus the owner claims he's hell-bent on not moving Tebow in '13. If I'm a GM looking for a rebuild project, joining the Jets in 2013 instead of 2014 gives me 1 less mulligan year.

Not that I think any GM would want this mess, but I don't think it's quite that dire. Most of the guys you are worried about will take pay cuts. OLB? Those guys are probably coming back at lower numbers and are due to be replaced anyway. IMO those guys are still okay, they just need a better player to cover more ground next to them. In fact, IMO the entire defense is good. I think they can keep Howard, isn't he RFA? What I hope they don't do is mortgage 2014 to try to put a team together for 2013. Let the sh*t contracts run out and fill the slots.

The problem is, they cant just put Tebow in there. He needs to run his type of plays in his type of offense. It is a totally different offense we would be making a move to not just a different person taking the snaps under center. If thats the case, McElroy should replace Sanchez. Right now, it is not looking good. 2 more losses and and we really start looking at draft needs and QBs for next year.

The Tebow questions will remain until he demonstrates that he can or can't do it out on the field. The only way to put it to rest is to play him. If the Jets lose out with him under center, at least there won't be any complaints about dumping him in the offseason. If they don't put him in, the cries for Tebow will continue.

Report: Shonn Greene wasn't saying Jets should start Tebow

In an interview with Michael Silver of Yahoo Sports on Wednesday, Jets running back suggested that Tim Tebow should replace Mark Sanchez at quaraterback.

Steve Wyche of NFL Network and NFL.com reports a source close to New York Jets running back Shonn Greene, who spoke with Greene overnight, said the running back was not advocating for a quarterback change.

"You feel bad for Mark, but at the same time, you want to win games. We're not here to protect people's feelings," he said. "If you want to win games, you've got to try something."

The source said Greene was not suggesting any specific personnel changes. Instead, the source said the "change" Greene meant is that the Jets need to start winning instead of losing.

Greene will reportedly clarify his remarks to the media today.

I'd rather they don't switch QB's for 2 reasons

1) It will pretty much mean we will win very few games making sure we get a better draft pick.

2) If we do well with Tebow it will make it hard to get rid of him, and if we dont get rid of him we are due for years of mediocrity with him as the QB (much like Pennington).

I'd rather never open the Tebow box.

I'd rather they don't switch QB's for 2 reasons

1) It will pretty much mean we will win very few games making sure we get a better draft pick.

2) If we do well with Tebow it will make it hard to get rid of him, and if we dont get rid of him we are due for years of mediocrity with him as the QB (much like Pennington).

I'd rather never open the Tebow box.

Seems to me that it would up his value.

Archived