The 'What Players are Adios Muchacho'ed in 2013' Thread

SouthernJet

Hoping:

Sanchez

Holmes

Slauson

B. Moore- hate to say this because he's always been one of my favorites, way underrated. But that back injury finished him off.

Pace

Scott

Thomas

Would keep Greene and Keller. I like Greene, not as a featured back though. Draft a RB in the 2nd round. Greene really starts to wear defenses down in 2nd half, if he gets the chance. Get a good, young all-around back and have a nice 1-2 punch.

Start by listing players who cannot return at their dollars for cap reasons.

Then move onto the list of players who are not under contract for 2013.

Then make your list. Start at $130M in cap hits before making any moves ($142M but obviously cutting Jason Smith erases $12M he'll never see).

Now go build your team, starting with 2012 Jets you're bringing back and who you're not. Don't forget Revis wants a new contract or you lose him after 2013 as well.

It's ugly for 2013 no matter what you do.

Pace out

Scott out

Thomas out

J. Smith out

Bell out

Slauson out

Holmes hopefully out but probably not possible unless they want to eat a lot of cash

Tebow out

Maybin already out

Lex Hilliard out

Clyde Gates Out

Schilens out

Entire FO, GM and Scouting Dept out

Entire coaching staff out

6 TE's on the roster ? Really ? count a few of them out

Laron Landry Hope we can figure out a way to keep him but he may want out of the three ring circus and teams will most defintely be interested

If a new coach comes in he may clean house of some big salaries and try to attain some draft picks so some suprizing names may come up in that scenario.

Then make your list. Start at $130M in cap hits before making any moves ($142M but obviously cutting Jason Smith erases $12M he'll never see).

Now go build your team, starting with 2012 Jets you're bringing back and who you're not. Don't forget Revis wants a new contract or you lose him after 2013 as well.

thanks man,,

so what is your expert opinion on a list of 'candidates' ;)

my thinking as well..

What big names would you be willing to throw out there SJ ?

Cro

Revis

D-Brick

Harris

Im not saying these guys would be my choice but a new HC, ya never know. You also have to keep in mind some of these guys after a rebuild would be at the age you wont get much for them in a trade 3 or 4 years down the road. The Jets notoriously hold on to players way too long and by that time the value is crap.

What big names would you be willing to throw out there SJ ?

Cro

Revis

D-Brick

Harris

Im not saying these guys would be my choice but a new HC, ya never know. You also have to keep in mind some of these guys after a rebuild would be at the age you wont get much for them in a trade 3 or 4 years down the road. The Jets notoriously hold on to players way too long and by that time the value is crap.

I am of belief a rebuilding is needed. So I would have EVERYONE as trade bait if some team was willing to overpay in high draft picks.

It doesnt do you much good to have star Vets on a non playoff team. Makes difference between 4-12 and 6-10. Let them close their careers on playoff team and we get draft picks for future..

Sad to say, outside of the last couple of years' draft picks (as the jury is still out), the DL and select few other players here and there, you could make some sort of an argument for why just about every other player on this roster could potentially be sent packing. The one other unit you'd probably want to hold onto would be the secondary (at least the starters), but money is no doubt an issue there, especially with Landry and Bell on one-year deals and Revis entering the last year of his contract.

Hoping:

Sanchez

Holmes

Slauson

B. Moore- hate to say this because he's always been one of my favorites, way underrated. But that back injury finished him off.

Pace

Scott

Thomas

Would keep Greene and Keller. I like Greene, not as a featured back though. Draft a RB in the 2nd round. Greene really starts to wear defenses down in 2nd half, if he gets the chance. Get a good, young all-around back and have a nice 1-2 punch.

Sanchez - Not Happening $$

Holmes - Not Happening $$

Slauson - Isn't he a free agent? And yes he is a jag, but I'd still take him over Vlad. No need to create ANOTHER hole.

Moore - Free Agent. Probably too long in the tooth to bring back. Can't replace both guards in one fell swoop with all of the other needs. We'll see.

Pace/Scott/Thomas - Yes/Yes/Yes

The following wont be back :-

Scott

Pace

J.Smith

E.Smith

B.Moore

Laundry

S.Greene

B.Thomas

Bell

Pouha cut and resigned

Harris restructered

Sanchez to much dead money

We may use others as trade bait, Cro, Revis.

we gonna be baddddd - here in '013......:blowup:

Pace out

Scott out

Thomas out

J. Smith out

Bell out

Slauson out

Holmes hopefully out but probably not possible unless they want to eat a lot of cash

Tebow out

Maybin already out

Lex Hilliard out

Clyde Gates Out

Schilens out

Entire FO, GM and Scouting Dept out

Entire coaching staff out

6 TE's on the roster ? Really ? count a few of them out

Laron Landry Hope we can figure out a way to keep him but he may want out of the three ring circus and teams will most defintely be interested

If a new coach comes in he may clean house of some big salaries and try to attain some draft picks so some suprizing names may come up in that scenario.

you dont want sanchez out?

Everybody knows Scott is gone.

Greene isn't being paid anything, so they'll keep him, just because.

Pace and BT are gone.

Sione is another cap casualty

They've tied themselves to Sanchez through next season

Tebow will be dumped for a 6th rounder

Harris has done next to nothing this season, and his deal will be redone for cap purposes......

BD

well id like him gone ASAP but you put holmes on the list and i figured he wasnt possible either. Can we trade em both?

just bustin your balls btw

I know your bustin my balls :)

The differences between Holmes and Sanchez is that Holmes creates Issues off the field as well along with being wildly inconsistent.

The fact is neither one of them will be cut. But once again that will have a lot to do with who comes in as HC and GM and how much they may want to get something in particular done in relation to how much influence they have on Woody when they Make their case.

Also if you notice I did put probably not possibel next to Holmes name.

I know your bustin my balls :)

The differences between Holmes and Sanchez is that Holmes creates Issues off the field as well along with being wildly inconsistent.

The fact is neither one of them will be cut. But once again that will have a lot to do with who comes in as HC and GM and how much they may want to get something in particular done in relation to how much influence they have on Woody when they Make their case.

Also if you notice I did put probably not possibel next to Holmes name.

yea i saw it just sanchez coulda got that lil love too.

this is totally speculation but i could imagine sanchez creates his own problems in the locker room also.

I like how people just automatically assume Sanchez will be starting next year. Whatever you think of the owner, you don't end up owning an NFL team in your lifetime by being a complete idiot. Sometimes you have to admit to a bad investment and cut the dead weight immediately. No way does Johnson want to look forward to the same garbage next year, pay Sanchez off and ship him out.

we shoudl trade revis. could probably get a 1st and 2nd rounder for him.

we need to rebuild and he is our most valuable assett.

rebuilding needs to be done through the draft. we need an infusion of good young talent. 2 1st rounder and 2 second rounders would be nice to start off with. and wiht the way the cba treats rookies contracts now.....it's a great way to get this team back into good financial health. just that we need a different gm to take care of football stuff

i think the obvious cuts are:

jason smith

calvin pace

bart scott

eric smith

tim tebow

that saves us a little over 32million

getting us down to 110 million cap figure

i think holmes should be cut/traded. i know he has 11.25 mill of dea dmoney then but lets just get it out of the way. we save 1.25mil against the cap if he is cut/traded

ok thats 108.5 million cap figure for us not including any cuts and savings we might get from cutting smaller contracts (i'm not gonna go through each player, just doing the bigger ones) as these are at or close enough to minimums where its only 100,000-200,00 here or there since you'll have to sign someone at least at minimums to replace.

108.5 mil and the salary cap will probably be 122 million. it looks like right now we have just about 5 million in unused cap that will rollover to next year.

108.5 million and we have a cap of 127 million, giving us 18.5 million to play with. now i'm not familiar with how much is to be allocated for the rookie draft class so you have to remember that. and i'm sure whoever comes in (hopefully) to replace tannenbaum will get creative with some restructuring.

overall i firmly believe next year needs to be a purging and rebuilding year. i'd love for us to cut sanchez but it would cost us over 4 million on the cap so it's not gonna happen till 2014. giving this regime anothe ryear will be a huge mistake. they will mortgage the future to try to save their skins if we do that. we need a new regime who is willing to accept a purging year next year and start rebuilding and getting this team into a good financial situation so that in 2-3 years we can legitimately start contending.

edit: i just took a brief look at the rest of the afc east's cap hits for next year. it's really sad what our financial situation looks like compared to them. dolphins are at 82 mill for next year, patriots 105 mil, bills about 107 million before any cuts. our management is a joke

I like how people just automatically assume Sanchez will be starting next year. Whatever you think of the owner, you don't end up owning an NFL team in your lifetime by being a complete idiot. Sometimes you have to admit to a bad investment and cut the dead weight immediately. No way does Johnson want to look forward to the same garbage next year, pay Sanchez off and ship him out.

he migh tnot start but i dont see how we can cut him. he will hit our cap to ohard and we already don't have alot of wiggle room

But easy to cut...

Not really. Next year we will be paying him $9M if we cut him and in 2014 $2M. At least we'd get back a few million. If we cut him this season we'd have had to pay an extra $9M for the privilege - on top of his already insane salary. I never uderstood that deal. I can see giving guys like Harris and Mangold money because they are good soldiers and probably won't get busted or suspended or cause a rift in the lockeroom, but that is a lot of money for a slow LB that can't rush the passer.

Not really. Next year we will be paying him $9M if we cut him and in 2014 $2M. At least we'd get back a few million. If we cut him this season we'd have had to pay an extra $9M for the privilege - on top of his already insane salary. I never uderstood that deal. I can see giving guys like Harris and Mangold money because they are good soldiers and probably won't get busted or suspended or cause a rift in the lockeroom, but that is a lot of money for a slow LB that can't rush the passer.

again anothe rguy who, if cut, will have alot of dead money involved (9 million) but saves us 4mil against the cap. i just don't think he will be cut. we are very likely cutting scott and pace. no way we cut all 3 of those guys imo and harris makes the least sense capwise and is probably the best of the 3 anyway. imo harris stays until 2014 at least where we would save 5 mil and only have 2 mil in dead money

Maybe he meant cut with knife.

again anothe rguy who, if cut, will have alot of dead money involved (9 million) but saves us 4mil against the cap. i just don't think he will be cut. we are very likely cutting scott and pace. no way we cut all 3 of those guys imo and harris makes the least sense capwise and is probably the best of the 3 anyway. imo harris stays until 2014 at least where we would save 5 mil and only have 2 mil in dead money

I don't think they will cut him. I was pointing out he's not "easy to cut." I think he'll take a pay cut to hang around maybe they will guarantee (hopefully only some of) his 2014 salary and keep him. I can live with him as a player, but as a salary cap hog he is up there with Sanchez.

hmmm even if he does have all these problems i dont know if saving 1.25 is worth it. I havnt heard anything from him since he got hurt i wonder what hes doing

Cashing checks.

I don't think they will cut him. I was pointing out he's not "easy to cut." I think he'll take a pay cut to hang around maybe they will guarantee (hopefully only some of) his 2014 salary and keep him. I can live with him as a player, but as a salary cap hog he is up there with Sanchez.

Cashing checks.

hmmmmm i wonder if when he comes back next year if he will ever be the same

That is about the ugliest cap situation imaginable. Its not like they have tough decisions to make to preserve a dynasty. They are paying superstar salaries to below avg players.

The guy who created that ugly mess is the one who needs to go. The only way the Jets purge the cap is with a new regime. If Rex makes it through the season he will be on the hot seat next year and clawing for a wild-card any way he can.

2014 can't get here soon enough.

Archived