Raise your hand if you think Woody is a good owner

Maxman

My thoughts are he is a bad owner. He has shown time and time again that he will screw the fans over financially. Parcells and Belichick seemed to want to have nothing to do with him and Belly couldn't wait to leave the organization.

But does anyone think he is a good owner? Please let us know why.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought he was going to better than he has been. Once he bought the team I figured greener pastures were on their way. Now, it seems he is more of a business man than football man. He'd rather make money than win games (funny,thought how the latter makes the former happen.)

He should sell the team to Mark Cuban. :)

I thought he was going to better than he has been. Once he bought the team I figured greener pastures were on their way. Now, it seems he is more of a business man than football man. He'd rather make money than win games (funny,thought how the latter makes the former happen.)

He should sell the team to Mark Cuban. :)

How is he a business man? He was born a billionaire never made a dollar on his own in his life.

Is that true? I don't know too much about his background.

He was no doubt born into some serious money (the most obvious reason being J&J), but I think that description is just a tad excessive. I can totally get not liking the guy as an owner, but he's still a businessman (has his own private investment company) and a career philanthropist (been doing so for 30+ years), so someone trying to act like the guy has never done anything in his entire life makes them look like a horses ass. Unfortunately, the guy just doesn't seem to be cut out for football.

I think it depends on what you define as a "good owner"..

As far as him being an Al Davis, no.. He is missing something when it comes to either acquiring the proper *football* people, or

knowing enough to stay uninvolved, or more involved.. at the right time. Owners are probably a lot like race horses.. if you think about it, they are all relatively fast, but some are friggin fast all the time..and are seriously good.

If anything, Woody has a serious lag issue or motivational issue..he probably is wondering if he should

get rid of people ..but isn't sure.

He was no doubt born into some serious money (the most obvious reason being J&J), but I think that description is just a tad excessive. I can totally get not liking the guy as an owner, but he's still a businessman (has his own private investment company) and a career philanthropist (been doing so for 30+ years), so someone trying to act like the guy has never done anything in his entire life makes them look like a horses ass. Unfortunately, the guy just doesn't seem to be cut out for football.

A "career philanthropist" is someone who spends other people's money they didn't earn.

Can you believe that son of a bitch? Using his money to help other people? What the hell is his problem?!?!

I have no idea if he's helped people or not. I do know that he didn't earn any of that money so calling him someone who knows how to run a business just isn't accurate. And he's proving how clueless he is running the Jets.

I have no idea if he's helped people or not. I do know that he didn't earn any of that money so calling him someone who knows how to run a business just isn't accurate. And he's proving how clueless he is running the Jets.

I never disagreed with you about the Jets, but your comments are completely baseless and making you look foolish. He was undoubtedly born into plenty of money, and that certainly provided him with plenty of benefits that helped him to develop the career that he has, but that still doesn't change what he's done throughout his life. I noticed you were sure to completely ignore the point regarding his own private investment company or even the simple fact that he's certainly earned a sh*tload of money in his time as Jets' owner (regardless of whether or not you agree with how he's done it). By your nonsensical logic, unless your parents were homeless without a penny to their name, any money you have had throughout your entire life was completely unearned.

Here's an idea, if you don't like him as the Jets' owner, just stick with that. At least you've got plenty of reason to justify that position, instead of feeling the need to go out of your way to talk completely out of your ass, because apparently in your mind, he has to be seen by all as the devil incarnate for everything he has done in his entire life because you don't like how he's run football team.

I think Woody is a horrible owner. He is way too involved in player decisions. I have a feeling he wanted Tebow just to put asses in the seats and it has not worked. Of course, there is a fine line between running a team as a money maker and as a successful franchise but, when your team is successful, your business flourishes.

Watching Woody publicly come out for Romney made me miss Leon Hess and his weeping in locker rooms. Hess genuinely loved the Jets. Woody is just interested in making money.

This is off topic but I feel Tannenbaum is part of the problem. Also, Sparano. We need new talent, a new offensive coordinator, AND a pass rusher.

Gents

I never post

I love the site and think it is the go to site for a Jet fan

but I had to rise to this bait

the only thing Woody has done is inherit big dough

he is a member of the lucky sperm club and that does not guarantee intelligence

The Mara's and Rooney's are the gold standard

Woody is a star struck guy with no analytical skills - he is easily dazzled - and does not have an analytical mind or a football mind

we are screwed until Woody sells the team

i don't think it's realistic to expect the Jets to go from 8-8 to win the Super Bowl. And then when that doesn't happen, claim that firing everyone will make it better. Super Bowl victories are built over the course of years. Sanchez showed up at the tail end of a window. that window closed. Another one will open. But they don't open every year. We talk about the quality of ownership, the implication is that if the Jets had won a Super Bowl, Woody would be an amazing owner. I just don't think this is a realistic goal for fans to believe every year that the Jets could win the Super Bowl.

Then what's the point of being a f***ing fan, you pathetic sonuvabitch?

hey you can believe whatever you want. I can believe that buying a powerball ticket at the gas station will change my life. But that doesn't make it realistic. the question is Woody a good owner, if the only criteria is SB victories then there are like 10 good owners total.

i don't think it's realistic to expect the Jets to go from 8-8 to win the Super Bowl. And then when that doesn't happen, claim that firing everyone will make it better. Super Bowl victories are built over the course of years. Sanchez showed up at the tail end of a window. that window closed. Another one will open. But they don't open every year. We talk about the quality of ownership, the implication is that if the Jets had won a Super Bowl, Woody would be an amazing owner. I just don't think this is a realistic goal for fans to believe every year that the Jets could win the Super Bowl.

Sweet merciful crap.

You are stuck in the old paradigms of the NFL. It used to be that SB winners needed to be built over time. It is just not true any more. Parity and and expansion changed all of that. Along with Free Agency. Heck, look how quickly the Jaguars and Panthers were able to go form expansion teams to deep playoff teams.

In this league, you need to be run well, and able to make a late run. That is all it takes. More teams have been able to win teh big game from teh wild card position than ever before.

Steady management, ability to adjust, and proper player profiling.

Unfortunately for the jets, they suck at this today.

Then what's the point of being a f***ing fan, you pathetic sonuvabitch?

My goal as a fan has always been I want my team to be a 'playoff contender' every year. SB contender is too much to ask on yearly basis IMHO. Even teams you might cite as 'yearly SB contender' wen thru down year stretches also in most cases.

If my team is a playoff contender that usually means I will have 13-16 games that are meaningful to root for as we are still in playoff spot contention. Nothing worse than being eliminated in October. If you make the playoffs anything can happen as we have seen with so many Wildcard SB winners. :)

SB contender is too much to ask on yearly basis IMHO.

Being a fan by its nature means not being rational. And granted, I imagine there were few Jaguars fans out there thinking they were going to contend.

Having said that, if you don't go into every season thinking your team COULD win it all, then there's really no point in watching. None.

Being a fan by its nature means not being rational. And granted, I imagine there were few Jaguars fans out there thinking they were going to contend.

Having said that, if you don't go into every season thinking your team COULD win it all, then there's really no point in watching. None.

Like i said, I want a team to go into every year being a Playoff contender, and then anything can happen. But to expect to be one of the Top 4 or 5 teams to win SB is a bit much IMHO.

Like i said, I want a team to go into every year being a Playoff contender, and then anything can happen. But to expect to be one of the Top 4 or 5 teams to win SB is a bit much IMHO.

If you're a playoff contender, you're automatically a Super Bowl contender in today's NFL.

We've seen teams barely above .500 make a run and win it all. We saw these very Jets go from 9-7 to the AFC Title game in 2009. No one could argue they were a top 5 team after that regular season, but there we were in the "Final 4" all the same.

Is it that much of a stretch to go from "top 12" to "Super Bowl contender"? Nope.

put it another way the reason why the Jets are not a legit contender is because of their QB situation. Woody doesn't really fight with Tanny and Rex. If these guys say Sanchez is the guy, who is Woody to say they are wrong? Woody is not perfect but I respect that he knows his limitations. the solution is not to have an owner who makes all the draft picks. He can fire Tanny and hire someone better. But he's a couple of degrees of Kevin Bacon away from the problem.

If these guys say Sanchez is the guy, who is Woody to say they are wrong?

He's not, but he hired Tannenbaum to make this very decision. Not only did he whiff on Sanchez, he gave him a f***ing contract extension for his poor play.

So while we don't know how much of a direct role Woody played in our predicament, we know he's the guy writing the checks. Want to blame the Tannenbaum/Rex/Sanchez trio? Fine, I think they all probably deserve to go at this point.

But can we trust Woody to hire the right GM going forward? Can we trust that a solid GM will want to work for him? It's a real, unavoidable concern.

If you're a playoff contender, you're automatically a Super Bowl contender in today's NFL.

We've seen teams barely above .500 make a run and win it all. We saw these very Jets go from 9-7 to the AFC Title game in 2009. No one could argue they were a top 5 team after that regular season, but there we were in the "Final 4" all the same.

Is it that much of a stretch to go from "top 12" to "Super Bowl contender"? Nope.

nah, when I hear SB contender I think Top 4/5 teams going into season. All pieces in place etc etc

If you think contender to make playoffs means SB contender, then great :)

But for me, I just think there are probably 20 teams in contention last few weeks of season for the 12 spots. Sure, anything can happen once u make playoffs, but LEGIT SB contender is a different animal.

Archived