Raise your hand if you think Woody is a good owner

Maxman

Well... by golly ... he's pissed and ain't happy about 3-6.

There's a good chance he may be far enough away from getting it to understand that this sh*tsling is going to get far worse and there's nothing that he or anyone in his band of schwanses can do to change that.

He is a half notch above the other born to wealth sphincter in the news recently, but he's just a comb-over and some microphone time away from him.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prior to this season, Woody's record as an owner was a winning one with six playoff appearances. How many other franchises can match that record? Mistakes were made, but that's the nature of the beast. He'll make the correction as needed. He is more astute than some of you think. He wants to win!

Funny. I measure success by championships, not playoff appearances.

I cant say he's a bad owner since he tries to do the right thing by staying out of the way most of the time and let football people do the football work. Problem is the people he hired arent getting the job done.

Only reason I hate the son of a bitch motherf#cker is the fact he jacked prices in the old dump, then helped build that monstrosity that has terrible atmosphere and not a real nice place to see a game. I'll never forgive him for that. i hate the new stadium and refuse to ever pay to see a game there. Football is no longer as much fun as it once was thanks to Woody pricing me out (and no, there is no effing way I would sit in those ridiculous upper deck seats- i'd rather watch the game on an illegal feed than put up with that sh!t)

I cant say he's a bad owner since he tries to do the right thing by staying out of the way most of the time and let football people do the football work. Problem is the people he hired arent getting the job done.

Only reason I hate the son of a bitch motherf#cker is the fact he jacked prices in the old dump, then helped build that monstrosity that has terrible atmosphere and not a real nice place to see a game. I'll never forgive him for that. i hate the new stadium and refuse to ever pay to see a game there. Football is no longer as much fun as it once was thanks to Woody pricing me out (and no, there is no effing way I would sit in those ridiculous upper deck seats- i'd rather watch the game on an illegal feed than put up with that sh!t)

+1

This is why the "pushing PSL's" argument is being made. But this could be made across the entire NFL, as more new stadiums have/are being built. Just ask the commish,

Back to Woody, I think he is clueless on what is needed to win and too distant to notice when things are not going right. 3-6 is a byproduct of many bad decisions made long before the season even got started - and Woody doesn't know any better so he never got involved.

Getting rid of Faneca, Weatherford, Ellis, Jones, and many others just to save a buck has impacted this team. Getting Mason and Plax last season and neglecting to draft good young talent then, directly impacted our offensive performance not just last year but this year also.

As Coy mentioned continuity is very important, given you have good talent. Ad if you don't, bringing on scrubs and has-been's two years in a row won't cut it. With Woody's inexperience, having a football czar like a Parcells, Wolfe, Polian, Cowher, or many others would have seen what is going on and stopped the self-destructing moves before they put us on the road to where we are today.

So, Woody is not a bad owner but he needs to get someone with football operations experience to run the show since he can't.

He's not, but he hired Tannenbaum to make this very decision. Not only did he whiff on Sanchez, he gave him a f***ing contract extension for his poor play.

So while we don't know how much of a direct role Woody played in our predicament, we know he's the guy writing the checks. Want to blame the Tannenbaum/Rex/Sanchez trio? Fine, I think they all probably deserve to go at this point.

But can we trust Woody to hire the right GM going forward? Can we trust that a solid GM will want to work for him? It's a real, unavoidable concern.

Johnson inherited his wealth. This doens't make him a bad guy, but it means he depends on others to advise him.

The problem is that at least since the Herman Edwards debacle, he trusts Tannenbaum to make football decisions, and before that Bradway. And simply those guys despite being here a very long time are not very good at their jobs. Every business is going to make mistakes. But people learn to cut bait rather than throw good money after bad. And right now Johnson hasn't cut these bums loose. We either have an accountant making football decisions-at least that's the structure as seen by the organizational chart. And Bitonti is in lartge part correct;; the window is clsoed because they wiffed on Sanchez. But that decision flows form the Tannenbaum decision.

Biggest concern is at the very beginning of his tenure Bellicheat and then Parcells basically ran away, and then Johnson allowed Tagliabue to foist Herman Edwards on him. Doesn't seem that Johnson is very sharp.Not to say he's a bad guy, merely he goes with the flow of who ever has his ear last.

Favre and Tebow were allegedly Woody-driven. Granted, the finger-pointing that goes on under the Tannenbaum regime makes it difficult to pinpoint who, exactly, is in charge (although it's interesting that the fingers always point away from Tannenbaum).

Favre and Tebow were allegedly Woody-driven. Granted, the finger-pointing that goes on under the Tannenbaum regime makes it difficult to pinpoint who, exactly, is in charge (although it's interesting that the fingers always point away from Tannenbaum).

Staying in the corner office is always Job 1 for Mike Tannenbaum. Get the sense more and more the biennial Revis contract negotiation is a planned circel jerk for Tannenbaum to look like he's doing something, Revis gets the summer off and his agent tells DR what a great job he's doing for him. Win/win/win.

Im sure woody had some input into what goes on, as does almost every owner in every sport, but I have a hard time believing that he was the driving force behind these decisions. Woody is an easy guy to blame for everything since he is easily hate-able.

Its almost like reliving the early Hess years for the following reasons:

1) Never spends money on a proven coach or GM and never will.

2) Is worried more about the pumped up perception going into a season rather than the seasons results themselves.

3) Doesn't care about winning so long as he sells seats and his Hess Trucks/Band Aids.

He may be a decent person (I'm not sure either way) - but he has been a bad owner thus far.

Its almost like reliving the early Hess years for the following reasons:

1) Never spends money on a proven coach or GM and never will.

2) Is worried more about the pumped up perception going into a season rather than the seasons results themselves.

3) Doesn't care about winning so long as he sells seats and his Hess Trucks/Band Aids.

Leon Hess absolutely wanted to spend money on his team. When free-aegncy came into the fold, the jets were in on trying to secure Reggie White and Leon was going to spend the money.

And, Leon wanted to win, he just never surrounded himself with the good football people he needed. He got too tied to the NFL offices, and hired NFL yes-men. That was not always in the best interest of the Jets as a football team.

Leon was never cheap on the Jets where it affected their ability to get or keep talent.

He is the guy that gave the keys to Parcells.

Leon Hess absolutely wanted to spend money on his team. When free-aegncy came into the fold, the jets were in on trying to secure Reggie White and Leon was going to spend the money.

And, Leon wanted to win, he just never surrounded himself with the good football people he needed. He got too tied to the NFL offices, and hired NFL yes-men. That was not always in the best interest of the Jets as a football team.

Leon was never cheap on the Jets where it affected their ability to get or keep talent.

Leon never spent money on front office people to guide him. Instead he employed his friends like Steve Gutman. He was too cheap to employ an effective scouting department. And he made the biggest moron move of all time (Letting the team lease a stadium from the Giants). It took him a long time to finally hand the keys to someone like Parcells.

Leon never spent money on front office people to guide him. Instead he employed his friends like Steve Gutman. He was too cheap to employ an effective scouting department. And he made the biggest moron move of all time (Letting the team lease a stadium from the Giants). It took him a long time to finally hand the keys to someone like Parcells.

I mentioned Leon's failings in being too close to the NFL offices.

Why he left Shea Stadium is well documented.

Leon spent more money than most owners. All you have to do is see what they spent in the early 90's. Whether that was well spent money, is another story

I thought he was going to better than he has been. Once he bought the team I figured greener pastures were on their way. Now, it seems he is more of a business man than football man. He'd rather make money than win games (funny,thought how the latter makes the former happen.)

He should sell the team to Mark Cuban. :)

i'd just like to know where this whole idea comes from? why do so many people assume he doesn't care about winning games? i will be the first to admit he hasn't been a great owner. but thats mostly because he has made bad decisions on who he lets run his team. here is a link to a video of hm scoffing at the story that he is only concerened about psl's and hotdogs. he claims that it is a fabricated lie.

http://www.newyorkje...3e-024bd311e4fb

i honestly hope he makes the right decisions this offseason and gets rid of tannenbaum/ryan/sparano triple play of failure

Archived