So who's our next GM?

Jetsfan80

I like the thought of DeCosta. He's learning business from one of the savviest business men in the country in Steve Bisciotti and just by osmosis I'd think he's learned how to be a great GM from Newsome.

Interestingly enough, Ozzie Newsome is one odd the few GMs in the league who has had there job longer than Tannenbaum without a Super Bowl appearance. Not that he's not clearly better at his job, but those are the facts....

Ah crap!

I’m afraid your on to something here. This could happen.

Who would it be? How about that tall skinny writer? Jenny V?

Team could wear all those pink socks and stuff permanently.

Any guess who it could be?

Maybe even as head coach. Oprah?

Ines Sianz, they owe her!

I don't think we've really taken this topic head on, but this is now the most important question heading into the offseason.

Obviously, the candidates below are assumed to be: 1) available, and 2) willing to work under Woody Johnson. Neither of which are guaranteed to be the case.

But whoever the new GM is will, of course, be making the all-important decision on whether or not to fire Rex, who the new scouting personnel will be, and who our QB of the present and future are.

Some of the candidates:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2012/11/14/3645056/2012-best-candidates-for-open-nfl-general-manager-positions

Marc Ross, Director of College Scouting, New York Giants

Marc Ross has already been interviewed for general manager jobs in the past, and seems like a strong candidate to make the jump this offseason. Few teams have drafted as well as the Giants have during Ross' tenure as director of college scouting. Jason Pierre-Paul and Hakeem Nicks are among the most notable picks during his five years, but Ross has been a part of putting together two Super Bowl rosters. I think he will get his chance at the big time this offseason.

Eric DeCosta, Assistant General Manager, Baltimore Ravens

Eric DeCosta has worked for Ozzie Newsome for the past 17 years. That alone makes him an intriguing GM candidate. Take into account that he has performed a variety of roles in the Ravens' front office, including Director of College Scouting and Director of Player Personel, and DeCosta becomes a very attractive option for team's looking for a general manager. He is thought to be the man who will replace Newsome when his career is over, though, so it may be tough for a team to lure him away.

Omar Khan, Director of Football and Business Administration, Pittsburgh Steelers

Omar Khan is thought of as one of the finest salary cap and contract negotiating experts in the NFL. He has worked with the Steelers since 2001, helping to bring the team a pair of Super Bowl titles. Pittsburgh obviously wants to keep him in the fold, so he will be a tough guy to land. He is not as highly regarded for his personel decisions, so that could make some teams hesitant about giving him full control.

Mike Maccagnan, Director of College Scouting, Houston Texans

Few teams have developed the type of roster depth that the Houston Texans have over the past four years. Mike Maccagnan has played a vital role in the draft process for the Texans and has proven himself as a talent evaluator. That doesn't always translate into success as a general manager, but it's not a bad starting point. He should be on the radar of teams seeking a new GM.

Brian Gutekunst, Director of College Scouting, Green Bay Packers

Brian Gutekunst has truly worked his way up from the bottom in the scouting world. He started off as an intern and has now been with the Packers for 14 years after a brief stint in Kansas City. The Packers are widely regarded as having one of the most successful scouting departments in the entire NFL. Gutekunst may be young, but he has tons of experience in evaluating talent.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825b843b/article/opportunities-present-themselves-for-hot-gm-candidates

Russ Ball, Packers VP of football administration/player finance: Known as a good people person with an ability to manage, Ball has overseen the Packers cap since 2008 and has 23 years of NFL experience with five teams. He actually got his start as a strength coach. That diversity of experience -- and his association with a championship program -- makes him an intriguing candidate.

Nick Caserio, Patriots director of player personnel: The 36-year-old has quickly become one of the most respected personnel guys on the circuit, with steely focus and drive, and worked extensively on the coaching side as well during the Patriots' championship years. As one GM said, "He gets it." That likely would be apparent in an interview setting, but it won't be easy to pry him from Bill Belichick's side.

Brian Gaine, Dolphins director of player personnel: Miami's instability notwithstanding, Gaine was part of constructing the Cowboys' talent-rich roster in the middle of the decade, sat next to Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland in the draft room in Miami, and has worked both small-picture (advance scouting) and big-picture (team building) parts of an operation. Gaine is well-regarded in the scouting community.

Tom Gamble, 49ers director of player personnel: This season in San Francisco has caused a lot of folks to re-evaluate how the 49ers were built. Scot McCloughan, having already been a GM, doesn't qualify for this list, but he might get another look as a GM (maybe in Oakland), and Gamble's is another name sure to come up, with his experience in pro and college scouting, contract negotiations and coaching.

Dennis Hickey, Buccaneers director of player personnel: Promoted this year after serving for six years as the team's college scouting director, Hickey played a big part in turning Tampa Bay's roster over, from an aging group under Jon Gruden to its current state as the league's youngest team. Even though the Bucs are struggling now, there's still a strong base to build around.

Will Lewis, FORMER Seahawks director of pro personnel: Lewis is another ex-Packer personnel man. He went with Ted Thompson to Seattle in 2000 and carries a pretty complete résumé. He's regarded as a solid evaluator and hard worker with leadership potential. He also brings experience as an NFL player and a coach. The Seahawks' continued improvement will only help his cause.

[NOTE: Lewis resigned his post on February 10th and is currently unemployed by any NFL team.]

Pat Moriarty, Ravens VP of football administration: Another "cap guy", but one with a very interesting background. Moriarty briefly played in the NFL and was in commercial banking for more than a decade after that. He joined the Belichick Browns in 1994 and has managed the financial structure of one of the NFL's most stable rosters over the past decade, while working closely with Newsome.

Ruston Webster, Titans VP of player personnel: Quietly, Tennessee has built a solid roster, seems to have found the right mix at quarterback and has ridded itself of troubled players without a big talent dropoff. Seattle's interim GM before John Schneider was hired, Webster was part of that the past two years, and part of Tampa Bay's late-1990s/early-2000s rebuilding, and has a wealth of pro and college scouting experience.

Doug Whaley, Bills assistant general manager: Whaley is considered the future in Buffalo, working now at the side of Buddy Nix. The roster has improved greatly of late, despite the team's recent swoon, due to Nix and Whaley's ability to turn over every rock to find talent. Just as important, Whaley was raised in the Steeler system, so he has strong knowledge of what a championship team looks like.

Other candidates:

Charlie Casserly, former GM: Houston Texans from 2000-2006

Scott Pioli, former Director & VP of Player Personnel: Patriots from 2001-2008

Wow, thanks r doing this. Still undecided but a big no to Omar Khan---because his name is Omar and I am a met fan still trying to recover.

Interestingly enough, Ozzie Newsome is one odd the few GMs in the league who has had there job longer than Tannenbaum without a Super Bowl appearance. Not that he's not clearly better at his job, but those are the facts....

Yes, but as a Jet, Tannenbaum has no chance of making the SB.

I ask again: why would any of those people want to work for Woody Johnson?

I ask again: why would any of those people want to work for Woody Johnson?

This is the big question. Johnosn's reputation is not good with those working in the NFL. Players may only care about how big the check s, personnel people don't want to be tainted with failure.

• 1 month later...

Great post. Just like I don't want another quarterback from USC, you can also cross all "cap guys" off the list, as ignorant as it may be. I hope that Woody takes a lesson from paying Mark 8.75m to sit next year and offer someone with a magnificent record a ton of money because in the long run it'll be well worth it. GM isn't a capped office.

What'll it take to get Tannenbaum fired?

A miracle. It seems that Tanny has some seroius skills when it comes to saving his ass. Sad that this is his best and only skill. I have seen pretty much of Tanny and I have to say he seems more like a typical Joe off the streets than a man with such a important position. I will keep on praying for Woody to wake the **** up and start to use his head for once.

This is the most important topic this off season. And we have to work quick, otherwise the next season will be over long before it even starts.

With a new GM in place it will be interesting to see what happens on HC, QB etc.

This year isn't over yet. Still might have some noise to make.

LOL. What kind of noise is that? The only noise I can think of is the fans suffering while watching our pathetic bunch of QB's pretend they can play at the pro level.

I also think the unholy trio (Bean counter, Rex, Sanchez) will all be back with the Jets in '13 unfortunately. Too much money tied up with all of them. Trader Mike will put us further into salary cap hell trying to patch up this sinking ship with more crappy free agents and will have another terrible draft. Book it.

Archived