Anyone else rooting for a total implosion?

LionelRichie

It's clear pretty much everyone should be made available, but I don't see how you can present an argument to save mangold and not revis. The center is arguably the one position on the line that gets the least return on it's investment; there is the least drop from the elite centers to the league average. That's completely not the case for CB. If someone blows us away for revis, I think you have to listen, but there's no compensation that will be able to mask his loss, considering Wilson has been such a fail. If we hit on Wilson and kept Cro, then I think you can trade Revis, but at this point signing him to a long term deal is probably better than losing him for a 3rd round compensatory pick.

I don't know. The guy is off-the-charts awesome but I don't think any CB is worth the $16M+/year he (allegedly) thinks he's worth. He may be 40% proportionally better than a $11-12M/year CB but that doesn't mean he's worth another $5M to this - or any other - team when there's a hard salary cap. All it means is the other guy making $11-12M is overcompensated.

He can only cover 1 receiver. Yes it will be the opponent's best receiver that burns almost all non-Revises, but it is only 1 receiver. A demon pass rusher or two (potentially) affects the passing game for all opponents' receivers. An elite, or even a very good, QB can get the points back when your lesser #1 CB gives up a big TD. Ditto with a solid receiving corps that, while they'll never make the likes of Sanchez into a solid QB, will certainly help to mask the ineptitude and incompetence.

If we can even trade him, the team - particularly a rebuilding one - may be better served with a 1st/1st, 1st/3rd, just a 1st (or whatever) plus an extra $16M/year in cap space.

I don't know. The guy is off-the-charts awesome but I don't think any CB is worth the $16M+/year he (allegedly) thinks he's worth. He may be 40% proportionally better than a $11-12M/year CB but that doesn't mean he's worth another $5M to this - or any other - team when there's a hard salary cap. All it means is the other guy making $11-12M is overcompensated.

He can only cover 1 receiver. Yes it will be the opponent's best receiver that burns almost all non-Revises, but it is only 1 receiver. A demon pass rusher or two (potentially) affects the passing game for all opponents' receivers. An elite, or even a very good, QB can get the points back when your lesser #1 CB gives up a big TD. Ditto with a solid receiving corps that, while they'll never make the likes of Sanchez into a solid QB, will certainly help to mask the ineptitude and incompetence.

If we can even trade him, the team - particularly a rebuilding one - may be better served with a 1st/1st, 1st/3rd, just a 1st (or whatever) plus an extra $16M/year in cap space.

Can't or won't argue anything here as it really does depend on the particulars, ie. who is our coach next year, how much he truly wants per year, what the compensation for him would be, how are team actually looks/do they show anything down the stretch or do we sign a competent veteran QB etc. You're most likely right though, I guess we'll just have to see how it all unfolds.

I could not agree more!

No corner is worth that much cap space, none.

I'm starting to get scared, I'm agreeing with Sperm too much, not good!

Unless there was a Luck or RG3, there's no way I could ever openly route for an implosion. I may be less miserable when they lose, but as long as we are mathematically still in the playoff hunt I will still watch every minute of every game and root for us to win. My expectations are obviously much more tempered, but I still root for a win in every game. I wonder when the thread opens up about how we were 4-6, before rattling off 5 of the last 6 games in Rex's first year. Should be a fun few days up until thanksgiving around here.

Archived