Dustin Keller is up for a new contract. Yes or No to Dustin Keller?

BlackDynamite

I'm sure that would keep the team under .500

Decisions......decisions.....

BD

I don't see Rex firing his new hand-picked OC. Too much of a reflection on himself.

Rex won't be fired and he still wants his OC to run this boring offense. Sparano - and Rex - would love to do nothing but run the ball and maybe pass just enough to set up the run. Keller is totally misfit for that role because of his blocking. Rex and Sparano's dream TE is Kyle Brady: basically a 6th lineman who catches 1-2 passes a game.

I don't see Rex firing his new hand-picked OC. Too much of a reflection on himself.

Rex won't be fired and he still wants his OC to run this boring offense. Sparano - and Rex - would love to do nothing but run the ball and maybe pass just enough to set up the run. Keller is totally misfit for that role because of his blocking. Rex and Sparano's dream TE is Kyle Brady: basically a 6th lineman who catches 1-2 passes a game.

Who says Rex will be here to worry about it? (Woody probably won't fire him, even though he probably should)

BD

The Jets have plenty of holes on the team going into next season. As long as the money is reasonable, no need to create another hole.

the problem with jet resigning or extentions,the player, for some reason, doesnt play the same anymore. mangold,brick,harris,etc

i definately bring keller back. his failures are more systemic to the offense as a whole. true he doesnt have the greatest awareness, but he is borderline very good at times, and could get better.

I do think he'd be better if not the focal point in the middle of the field. I actual;ly think the Jets should grab a primo BIG TE and go two TE, two WR, one back, often.

Ideally, the RB should be able to catch as well.

Is Heath Miller also an underachiever?

Heath Miller last three years: Avg. 56 recs 3 TDs

Dustin Keller last three years: Avg. 55 recs 4 TDs

People don't want to face it, but Keller is one of the top 5-6 TEs in the game over the last three seasons.....

BD

Retarded comparison. Ones an oversized wr who can't block and the other is Heath Miller

Who says Rex will be here to worry about it? (Woody probably won't fire him, even though he probably should)

BD

You're letting your imagination get the better of you. Rex is returning unless the Jets lose their last 6 and to finish 4-12. Even then it's no slam dunk, particularly if the talk of the town continues to be the Knicks rather than the Giants.

You make a fair offer, take it or leave it. Keller will get a over market offer from some team. Then u let him go.

This is about it. I'd consider the franchise tag, too, because its low for TEs, and that way the team would only be tied to him for a year.

Whatever your opinion on Keller, he's useful here. If you're going to let him go, you need to be prepared to find someone better in free agency.

keller was a 3rd 4th round pick till tanny thought he was pulling a fast one on the giants and moving 1 place ahead and stealing him.keller already has it in his head that he is valuable.dude cant block to save his life. 95% gone already

i do agree he's 95% gone but look at his combine workouts again he was a 2nd rounder who became a late first by having a huge vertical leap and other measurables. plus a ton of production at Purdue. guys with those numbers go way higher than round 4.

Id let Keller walk. Because of his numbers he is going to probably end up around 6.8-7 million a year which is just too much to spend on Keller with the state of the offense. The reason I say that is because there is no realistic reason to expect the Jets offense to explode next season and for the most part TEs begin their decline as soon as their extension years kick in on the contracts. You will essentially be spending money at a position that gives you no value. If the Jets were a good offensive team this year it is probably worthwhile to keep him and hope you get strong numbers in 2013 and you will deal with the declines after that. Because of where the Jets are they will end up getting 3rd round compensation for him. Thats more valuable that keeping a TE at 7 million a year on this offense.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/nflrisk.php

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/dustinkellerprice.php

So all of these 55-65 recs TEs are blockers too?

If you say so.....

BD

You know it he is not worth that much for the position he plays. Guys like Gronk and Hernandez deserve the 8-9 mill they got. But Keller based on comparison value is a 5-6 mill guy. Which mean Tanny will pay a lot more. Period.

And then in a couple of season guys like you will start threads telling people how we overpaid for Keller!

You know it he is not worth that much for the position he plays. Guys like Gronk and Hernandez deserve the 8-9 mill they got. But Keller based on comparison value is a 5-6 mill guy. Which mean Tanny will pay a lot more. Period.

And then in a couple of season guys like you will start threads telling people how we overpaid for Keller!

I never said he was Gronk. I said he's probably getting a 4 year $25M deal.

You missed that part?

BD

Although on the higher side, thats what you say. My point is if we sign him Tanny will end up overpaying!

If Tanny doesn't overpay, some team will still offer Keller a boatload of money. I could see the Colts viewing him as Luck's Dallas Clark. In any event, unless the Jets hit him with the franchise tag, he is not coming back. If, by chance, he does we are screwed -- as you said, Tanny is dumb enough to vastly overpay.

If Tanny doesn't overpay, some team will still offer Keller a boatload of money. I could see the Colts viewing him as Luck's Dallas Clark. In any event, unless the Jets hit him with the franchise tag, he is not coming back. If, by chance, he does we are screwed -- as you said, Tanny is dumb enough to vastly overpay.

Colts took 2 tight ends relatively early in this years draft.

He won't come cheap, and he's the only receiver, besides Kerley, mark likes throwing the ball to, because he's pretty reliable catching it.

In his first 3 years he had about 45 receptions in year 1, 55 in Year 2, and 65 last year, where he had similar production to Vernon davis and Antonio Gates. He's obviously been hurt this season.

Jets have the cap space to sign him, given 2014 they have few obligations, so the can structure a deal that is light on the cap in 2013.

I say sign him, provided it's nothing outrageous. Not like the Jets have anyone else who is worth signing long-term. He's earned some paper.

I'd give him a 3-4 year deal.

BD

what has he earned? nothing, this guy disappears for games and seasons...why pay for him we can get just as much value as a vet minimum guy. Screw keller that ball dropping no body

what has he earned? nothing, this guy disappears for games and seasons...why pay for him we can get just as much value as a vet minimum guy. Screw keller that ball dropping no body

You're right. He's only caught 120 passes over the last two seasons with 8 TDs. I'm sure the Jets can find that laying around.

Wait a minute......

BD

Archived