•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Niners have 2 Starting QBs, while the Jets can't get one.....

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

provocateur wannabe

• Members
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationPago Pago

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

http://espn.go.com/n...olin-kaepernick

Jim Harbaugh hinted at a possible quarterback change for the San Francisco 49ers following Colin Kaepernick's impressive performance Monday night against the Chicago Bears.
Kaepernick, who replaced the injured Alex Smith, was outstanding his his first career start, prompting Harbaugh to say that the Niners would "go with the hot hand" next Sunday against theNew Orleans Saints.
"I usually tend to go with the guy that has the hot hand and we have two quarterbacks that have a hot hand," Harbaugh said after Monday's 32-7 victory. "So I thought Colin did an outstanding job. I thought he did a great job, poised in the pocket pushing the ball throwing with accuracy, did a nice job running the game plan. Everything he did was exemplary and really acquitted himself great, very proud of him for that."
Kaepernick, who had played sparingly since being drafted in the second round last year, completed 16 of 23 passes for 243 yards and two touchdowns against Chicago's vaunted defense.
"It's everything I could've ever wished for," Kaepernick said. "It feels great just to be out there."

Harbaugh acknowledged he was "impressed" with Kaepernick and dismissed the notion that Smith shouldn't lose his starting job because of an injury.

Best QBR in Debut Since 2008

http://a.espncdn.com...rent=falseColin Kaepernick had the best starting debut in terms of Total QBR by any player over the last five seasons, surpassing the performances of Aaron Rodgers and Robert Griffin III, among others.

Year Player Opponent QBR -- ESPN Stats & Information 2012 Colin Kaepernick Bears 97.5 2012 Robert Griffin III Saints 93.8 2008 Matt Ryan Lions 89.2 2008 Aaron Rodgers Vikings 88.5 2010 Tim Tebow Raiders 84.6

"We'll make that determination as we go, but there's no rule," Harbaugh said.
Smith, who had made 28 consecutive starts, suffered a concussion in last week's tie against theSt. Louis Rams and was ruled out against the Bears after failing to receive clearance from a neurologist.
Harbaugh said that he had already decided to start Kaepernick when Smith, who is ranked third in the NFL with a 104.1 passer rating, still was experiencing headache symptoms as recently as this past Sunday.
Kaepernick was quick to reward Harbaugh for his decision, throwing for 184 yards in the first half alone.
"I think after the first drive I felt really comfortable with what they were doing and what we had in our game plan," Kaepernick said. "I really wasn't too nervous. I've had a lot of time in this offense. My teammates were really supportive."
BD

#2 BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

provocateur wannabe

• Members
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationPago Pago

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Harbaugh has no problem COURTING a QB controversy! Smith just starts to figure out how to be a stud QB, misses one game, and loses his job.

NICE!

Kaepernick showed the Jets he can run the Wildcat better than Tebow ever could. Last night, he threw the ball better than tebow did against the Steelers last year.

Someday, the Jets will have a starting QB. Someday......
BD

#3 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,521 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

This is an interesting situation. Smith is the 3rd highest rated QB in the league. And the game he got injured he was absolutely on fire. Better than what Colin did last night. Alex is having a career year and they extended him in the offseason after not pursuing Peyton Manning. lol

Whatever the decision is, I hope it blows up in their face. I ****ing hate Jim Harbaugh.

Edited by JiF, 20 November 2012 - 10:41 AM.

Posted Image

#4 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

honestly I wouldn't take Smith over Sanchez. They are both about the same manager types (and please don't put up stats, I know Smith's are better). But neither one is gonna take over the game Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady style.

Colin however is interesting. That guy has real upside to be special .

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#5 Pac

Pac

shark jumper

• Members
  • 14,852 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

Give me a break with this garbage.

1 good game does not mean he's a good QB. Matt Flynn and Kevin Colb are being paid just as much as Sanchez to ride the pine.

#6 Integrity28

Integrity28

Told you so.

• Members
  • 36,082 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

Give me a break with this garbage.

1 good game does not mean he's a good QB. Matt Flynn and Kevin Colb are being paid just as much as Sanchez to ride the pine.

Bingo.

With that SF defense and running game, any QB who throws the ball 25 times or less can come out looking like roses. The reality is that Harbaugh built the team Rex told us we were getting. Absolutely stifling defense full of studs, and a monster running game that has more talent listed as inactive on game day than the Jets RB corps combined.

Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, LaMichael... wtf.

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#7 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,788 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Jets tried to draft him:

http://www.sacbee.co...d-to-draft.html
Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#8 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,521 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

Jets tried to draft him:

Morons. All of them.
Posted Image

#9 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 28,351 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

Harbaugh has no problem COURTING a QB controversy! Smith just starts to figure out how to be a stud QB, misses one game, and loses his job.

NICE!

Kaepernick showed the Jets he can run the Wildcat better than Tebow ever could. Last night, he threw the ball better than tebow did against the Steelers last year.

Someday, the Jets will have a starting QB. Someday......
BD

Clown show.

http://espn.go.com/n...olin-kaepernick

Jim Harbaugh hinted at a possible quarterback change for the San Francisco 49ers following Colin Kaepernick's impressive performance Monday night against the Chicago Bears.
Kaepernick, who replaced the injured Alex Smith, was outstanding his his first career start, prompting Harbaugh to say that the Niners would "go with the hot hand" next Sunday against theNew Orleans Saints.
"I usually tend to go with the guy that has the hot hand and we have two quarterbacks that have a hot hand," Harbaugh said after Monday's 32-7 victory. "So I thought Colin did an outstanding job. I thought he did a great job, poised in the pocket pushing the ball throwing with accuracy, did a nice job running the game plan. Everything he did was exemplary and really acquitted himself great, very proud of him for that."
Kaepernick, who had played sparingly since being drafted in the second round last year, completed 16 of 23 passes for 243 yards and two touchdowns against Chicago's vaunted defense.
"It's everything I could've ever wished for," Kaepernick said. "It feels great just to be out there."

Harbaugh acknowledged he was "impressed" with Kaepernick and dismissed the notion that Smith shouldn't lose his starting job because of an injury.

Best QBR in Debut Since 2008

http://a.espncdn.com...rent=falseColin Kaepernick had the best starting debut in terms of Total QBR by any player over the last five seasons, surpassing the performances of Aaron Rodgers and Robert Griffin III, among others.

Year Player Opponent QBR -- ESPN Stats & Information 2012 Colin Kaepernick Bears 97.5 2012 Robert Griffin III Saints 93.8 2008 Matt Ryan Lions 89.2 2008 Aaron Rodgers Vikings 88.5 2010 Tim Tebow Raiders 84.6

"We'll make that determination as we go, but there's no rule," Harbaugh said.
Smith, who had made 28 consecutive starts, suffered a concussion in last week's tie against theSt. Louis Rams and was ruled out against the Bears after failing to receive clearance from a neurologist.
Harbaugh said that he had already decided to start Kaepernick when Smith, who is ranked third in the NFL with a 104.1 passer rating, still was experiencing headache symptoms as recently as this past Sunday.
Kaepernick was quick to reward Harbaugh for his decision, throwing for 184 yards in the first half alone.
"I think after the first drive I felt really comfortable with what they were doing and what we had in our game plan," Kaepernick said. "I really wasn't too nervous. I've had a lot of time in this offense. My teammates were really supportive."
BD

Wow. He beat some impressive guys out there.

Bingo.

With that SF defense and running game, any QB who throws the ball 25 times or less can come out looking like roses. The reality is that Harbaugh built the team Rex told us we were getting. Absolutely stifling defense full of studs, and a monster running game that has more talent listed as inactive on game day than the Jets RB corps combined.

How many of those guys were there before he got there? Gore, Willis, Vernon Davis, Bowman. He didn't "build" that, he made it work. Doesn't seem like paying Jacobs and drafting James would indicate he was a great team builder.

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#10 BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

provocateur wannabe

• Members
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationPago Pago

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

"We'd rather draft a WR who can't catch instead....." - Rex Ryan
BD

#11 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

"We'd rather draft a WR who can't catch instead....." - Rex Ryan
BD

the Jets took Mo Wilkerson at 30. Colin goes 36. They have no 2nd round pick that year and pick up Ellis in the 3rd. I'm not sure when they would have drafted Colin. At 30?

Maybe they were looking at him to slide into the bottom of the top 100.

#12 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

Gore, Hunter, Crabtree, Moss, Manninghame, Williams, and Vernon Davis will make many QBs look very good.

Will be interesting to see it play out though.

#13 BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

provocateur wannabe

• Members
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationPago Pago

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

Gore, Hunter, Crabtree, Moss, Manninghame, Williams, and Vernon Davis will make many QBs look very good.

Will be interesting to see it play out though.

I see a lot of people can't wait to knock down his game last night, which most of you obviously didn't watch.

His passes last night were butter! Steve Young couldn't stop gushing about the kid. His game was tight, especially for a national MNF game, his first ever as the starting QB. Couldn't be more impressive......
BD

#14 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,521 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

Bingo.

Not sure how many players are left from the Singletary years but either way, when you're picking top 10 for 10 straight years, you're probably going to find some talent.
Posted Image

#15 dbatesman

dbatesman

Courage Boy

• Members
  • 9,347 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

1 good game does not mean he's a good QB.

He sure showed us.

What's funny/sad is you don't think he did.

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#16 NJ

NJ

Almost Unwatchable

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

The Niners have 2 Starting QBs, while the Jets can't get one.....

keep that to yourself or we'll have one of theirs soon enough - the wrong one
NATION....... JETNATION

#17 Scott Dierking

Scott Dierking

Jerk

• Members
  • 13,683 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

To have a good qb, you not only have to be able to spot the talent in the player, but also be able to develop that talent.

Does anybody trust Cavanaugh or God forbid Sparano in developing a pure QB?
Originally Posted by Blackout™
LOL ignorance is bless.

#18 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,851 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Jets tried to draft him:

We would have had him pack on 30 pounds and never throw the ball. The best thing that ever happened to this kid was not making it to our pick.

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#19 Smashmouth

Smashmouth

Rex/Idzik gtfo

• Members
  • 13,702 posts
  • LocationRhome, Texas

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

honestly I wouldn't take Smith over Sanchez. They are both about the same manager types (and please don't put up stats, I know Smith's are better). But neither one is gonna take over the game Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady style.

Colin however is interesting. That guy has real upside to be special .

Well when Smith needed to in last years playoffs he certainly out dueled Drew Brees. They are a balanced football team something difficult for some here to grasp. They dont have to throw the ball all over the yard to win. They can play defense and run it down your throat and do just fine.

Proud Member of the AVM

#20 The Crusher

The Crusher

JiF is all about that bass, bout that bass, no treble

• Moderators
  • 30,431 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Well when Smith needed to in last years playoffs he certainly out dueled Drew Brees. They are a balanced football team something difficult for some here to grasp. They dont have to throw the ball all over the yard to win. They can play defense and run it down your throat and do just fine.

Memories.

#21 Smashmouth

Smashmouth

Rex/Idzik gtfo

• Members
  • 13,702 posts
  • LocationRhome, Texas

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

To have a good qb, you not only have to be able to spot the talent in the player, but also be able to develop that talent.

Does anybody trust Cavanaugh or God forbid Sparano in developing a pure QB?

Shotty Cavanaugh Sparano Rex = Mark Sanchez .. Throw in some drunks, criminals and malcontents and you have the grand package of bullsh*t that this kid has had to deal with since being drafted by this cluster**** of an organization. Sure now he sucks and never really Improved but he showed signs throughout his 4 years here and they never seemd to get developed biggest issue being turnovers. I would be willing to bet If Peyton Manning lost his mind and came to this team his career would have ended since we probably would not even had the money to sign such stellar beasts as jason hill and chaz shiliens. But hey he would have had the incredible dissapearing TE Dustin Keller to throw too and a few RB's who can't catch.

Proud Member of the AVM

#22 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Shotty Cavanaugh Sparano Rex = Mark Sanchez ..

if that were true, why does Mark Sanchez make 10 mil a year while those 4 guys combined make maybe 2? It's like blaming the hitting coach at AA for not developing a first round pick in baseball. At a certain point the talent has to deliver. And actually... if Mark plays every week like the STL game that would be great.

Edited by bitonti, 20 November 2012 - 12:47 PM.

#23 BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

provocateur wannabe

• Members
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationPago Pago

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

I had a little problem bringing in Sparano's incompetence to follow Schotty's incompetence

I had a bigger problem keeping Cavanaugh's incompetence around, like he's Mike Westhoff or somebody worth holding onto......
BD

#24 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,851 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

if Mark plays every week like the STL game that would be great.

Aiming for the stars I see

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#25 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,521 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

Shotty Cavanaugh Sparano Rex = Mark Sanchez .. Throw in some drunks, criminals and malcontents and you have the grand package of bullsh*t that this kid has had to deal with since being drafted by this cluster**** of an organization. Sure now he sucks and never really Improved but he showed signs throughout his 4 years here and they never seemd to get developed biggest issue being turnovers. I would be willing to bet If Peyton Manning lost his mind and came to this team his career would have ended since we probably would not even had the money to sign such stellar beasts as jason hill and chaz shiliens. But hey he would have had the incredible dissapearing TE Dustin Keller to throw too and a few RB's who can't catch.

I'm 100% sure his penchant for turning the ball over has everything to do with coaching and development. I'm sure they encourage him to throw it to the other team and nobody has ever stressed to him the importance of taking care of the ball.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users