Antonio Cromartie elevates play after chat with Darrelle Revis

Jetfan13

Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie has noticeably elevated his play since Darrelle Revis was lost for the season, but Cromartie said it was a conversation he had with Revis, not the ACL injury, that pushed him to new heights, Seth Walder of the New York Daily News reports.

On the plane ride home after a Week 2 loss to Pittsburgh, Revis laid down his expectations for Cromartie as a teammate.

“Before he even got hurt, we had a conversation, saying I need to play at a high level. It took for him to come talk to me as a peer, to make me understand, we can have one of the greatest one-two punches at corner,” Cromartie said. “I honestly thank Revis for . . . coming to talk to me, being a great teammate and making sure I’m playing at a high level.

“We expect so much out of each other. We always talk, but it was a different conversation,” Cromartie added.

Revis tore his ACL the next week in Miami.

“It shouldn’t have took for Revis to go down for me to be playing at a very high level,” Cromartie said. “I think I took for granted having Revis on the other side.”

Cromartie is seriously a completely different person than the guy the Chargers traded away. Everything from the fact that his level of play has reached new heights, he's become a more physical presence than any time in his career and even down to stuff like this, when it comes to talking about his team and teammates. Great to hear about Revis that Cro credits him for helping to get him to this place, as Cromartie has seriously played CB about as well as anyone over the past year and as 80 said, is the #1 reason why the Jets still have one of the league's best pass defenses even without Revis. You could easily argue he's the only player on the Jets deserving of a Pro Bowl nod this year.

Truth be told, with this team clearly needing a whole lot of work to be done, the Jets have to seriously consider the possibility that Cromartie playing at this level certainly gives them some serious freedom to shop either one of him or Revis, as tough as that may be to admit. If anything, I think this season has certainly shown the Jets that their defense doesn't need 2 #1 CBs to survive. Both the cap space saved, and whatever could be gotten in return, could be a nice step in the right direction.

Cromartie is seriously a completely different person than the guy the Chargers traded away. Everything from the fact that his level of play has reached new heights, he's become a more physical presence than any time in his career and even down to stuff like this, when it comes to talking about his team and teammates.

Bullsh**. Rex Ryan isn't capable of elevating anyone's level of play. Fire him.

the Jets have to seriously consider the possibility that Cromartie playing at this level certainly gives them some serious freedom to shop either one of him or Revis, as tough as that may be to admit.

100 % agreed. You don't win Super Bowls with a glut at CB and the cap dollars we're allocating there. Not with so many other needs, most importantly, a QB.

I doubt we'll be able to trade Revis in the offseason with his injury, but I'd absolutely put him on the trade block the moment he proves he's back to 100 % health.

You think they've showed they can survive without 2 number 1 CBs? I think they have showed they can have a defense that can't overcome their sh*tty offense (and special teams). I don't think they will shop either. I think they need too many LBs to deal with mucking up the secondary which will need help at S in any event.

100 % agreed. You don't win Super Bowls with a glut at CB and the cap dollars we're allocating there. Not with so many other needs, most importantly, a QB.

I doubt we'll be able to trade Revis in the offseason with his injury, but I'd absolutely put him on the trade block the moment he proves he's back to 100 % health.

While it might decrease his value a bit, I wouldn't be surprised if there would still be some teams out there very interested in Revis. Let's be honest, these days an ACL tear isn't considered as devastating as it once was, and Revis is a rare enough talent and hard enough worker that I don't think it's going to be enough to completely scare teams away from him. If anything, interested teams would be more likely to use it as a negotiating tool against the Jets. On the other hand, the Jets may see it as an opportunity to lock Revis up in a more reasonable contract, in which case they could instead be shopping around Cromartie. We'll have to see.

You think they've showed they can survive without 2 number 1 CBs? I think they have showed they can have a defense that can't overcome their sh*tty offense (and special teams). I don't think they will shop either. I think they need too many LBs to deal with mucking up the secondary which will need help at S in any event.

While this defense may not be able to win games by themselves, it's rare that such defenses exist and you certainly don't build your team around that concept. Besides, I'm not sure this year's defense without Revis is any worse off than last year's was with him. The point is that the amount of money that could be freed up and the picks gotten in return for one of these guys could potentially go a long way in helping to address the other very much greater concerns this team has than #2 CB. The Jets' pass defense is already their strongest unit even without Revis, and the Jets could easily find themselves a new #2 CB better than the likes of Wilson for a fraction of the cost of either of Revis or Cro, giving them an opportunity to move one of those guys while still potentially having a stronger unit than they currently are putting out on the field now.

While this defense may not be able to win games by themselves, it's rare that such defenses exist and you certainly don't build your team around that concept. Besides, I'm not sure this year's defense without Revis is any worse off than last year's was with him. The point is that the amount of money that could be freed up and the picks gotten in return for one of these guys could potentially go a long way in helping to address the other very much greater concerns this team has than #2 CB. The Jets' pass defense is already their strongest unit even without Revis, and the Jets could easily find themselves a new #2 CB better than the likes of Wilson for a fraction of the cost of either of Revis or Cro, giving them an opportunity to move one of those guys while still potentially having a stronger unit than they currently are putting out on the field now.

I know what your point is. I don't necessarily agree, but I am 100% convinced that the current FO and coaching staff doesn't. I don't think they will want to screw with this D. I think they have had trouble filling a few voids - NT, having 3 CBs they like, S and they are getting close. Rex isn't going to want to risk his rep on lesser CBs. Besides, I've seen the way TEs rip our D. I don't look forward to #2 WRs doing the same thing.

I don't think your point is necessarily wrong or misguided, I just think there is more than one way to build a team and I don't think this is how these guys want to build a team. If they make changes in the FO/coaches then I can see them doing exactly what you say.

Your point is well taken on the amount dedicated to the CB position...but if I'm the decision maker...I stick with Revis for the very reasons Cro listed...In Revis we have a team leader inspiring a peer to play better...we need more players like him...even though like most from this generation he wants to get paid...interesting choice for both sides on the next contract...is Revis looking for max deal or the chance to play for contender...can the Jets organization remain relevant enough that Revis wants to return...without the Jets overpaying him so the Jets can contend...another reason the correct decision on Tanny is paramount.

Edited to add:

The league is now more passing league than anything else...the new paradigm to counter this may be two stud corners...just has to make sense financially.

I know what your point is. I don't necessarily agree, but I am 100% convinced that the current FO and coaching staff doesn't. I don't think they will want to screw with this D. I think they have had trouble filling a few voids - NT, having 3 CBs they like, S and they are getting close. Rex isn't going to want to risk his rep on lesser CBs. Besides, I've seen the way TEs rip our D. I don't look forward to #2 WRs doing the same thing.

I don't think your point is necessarily wrong or misguided, I just think there is more than one way to build a team and I don't think this is how these guys want to build a team. If they make changes in the FO/coaches then I can see them doing exactly what you say.

I hear what you're saying and I think, like you said, who is running the show for the Jets come March could have a lot of impact on how the Jets decide to handle this. I agree it's less likely to happen if Tanny and Rex are still both here, but the only reason I think it could be something they might at least consider is the combination of both Revis' contract situation and his health. And let's not forget, the Jets don't have the ability to franchise him after next season, so if they can't lock him up, a trade might be the next best option.

Your point is well taken on the amount dedicated to the CB position...but if I'm the decision maker...I stick with Revis for the very reasons Cro listed...In Revis we have a team leader inspiring a peer to play better...we need more players like him...even though like most from this generation he wants to get paid...interesting choice for both sides on the next contract...is Revis looking for max deal or the chance to play for contender...can the Jets organization remain relevant enough that Revis wants to return...without the Jets overpaying him so the Jets can contend...another reason the correct decision on Tanny is paramount.

I certainly agree with you regarding Revis, but think the contract situation is the one reason there's at least a chance the Jets could consider keeping Cro over Revis if they were to move one. They still have Cro locked up for a couple of more years, where as Revis is entering the last year of his deal and the Jets don't have the ability to franchise tag him. If the Jets find themselves in a situation where they think the chances are very high that Revis walks after next season, that will certainly play a factor in any decisions they make. And with Revis being so close to the end of his deal and him surely knowing his value is currently the lowest it's been in a while, I think it's very likely Revis would probably be happy to hold off for just one more year, knowing he'll be able to cash in big time in free agency as long as he proves himself healthy next season.

Its not the first story about someone talking to someone else and then their play flourished afterwards.

In this case all I am thinking is what the heck were they doing the past 2 seasons. Couldn't they talk sooner ?

lol. they never exchanged a word from 2010-Week 03 this season. dammit, guys.

Archived