Marc Ross for GM?

Lizard King

Someone's going to make a move for him.

INDIANAPOLIS — Marc Ross has interviewed for general manager positions with the Seahawks, the Colts and the Bears. He has not landed any of those jobs, a fact which doesn’t exactly upset the Giants, who still employ Ross as their director of college scouting.

“Selfishly, we’re happy he’s staying with us,” Giants GM Jerry Reese said, “but I think some people missed out on a great opportunity for a very good GM candidate with Marc Ross.”

Reese enters tonight's Super Bowl XLVI against the Patriots with a chance to earn his second championship ring in the five years he has been on the job, so he merits plenty of credit. But Reese praised his staff up and down this week in Indianapolis, and the 38-year-old Princeton-educated Ross is a large part of the Giants’ success.

Ross has overseen the Giants’ draft since 2008, and has secured the likes of Jason Pierre-Paul and Hakeem Nicks, for starters, along with Mario Manningham, Terrell Thomas, Kenny Phillips, Linval Joseph, Will Beatty, Jonathan Goff and Jacquian Williams.

By the way, those are just some of Ross’ picks — and all of this is in just the pastfour drafts.

“We have a great group of scouts, and those guys bust their butt to go out on the road. Anytime you hit on a pick, it feels great,” said Ross, who also found Brian Westbrook when he was the Eagles’ director of college scouting. “We go into each draft just feeling like, ‘Hey, we’re just going to find guys that help us out and take the best player available. Of course, it feels a lot better than missing on guys. It feels good.”

What doesn’t feel great is coming up short in the GM derbies he has been a part of. But Ross hardly views being at Super Bowl XLVI as a consolation prize.

“This is the best,” he said. “If you had to give me the choice: Get the GM job or win the Super Bowl, I’m taking win the Super Bowl every day of the week.

“Of course, going through the process, I want to be the guy that comes out on top and gets the job, but I feel confident that my time will come. And if not, I’m with a great organization. I love being here, I love working for the Giants, I love working for John Mara and Jerry Reese. I’m happy.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/ross_loss_gain_for_big_blue_JGkMgk57VrU6C2XvtKBSoO

The stuff with him and the Bears was hilarious. Somehow it got around that Ross doesn't spend a ton of time in the office, which translated to "doesn't work hard," which AINT GONNA FLY IN A BLOO CALLER TAHN LIKE CHICEHHHGO, MY FRIENN.

Exactly. They looked so sharp on Monday, too.

The guy wouldn't even have to change office locations. If it's too good to possibly come true, it probably won't. Especially for the NY Jets.

The stuff with him and the Bears was hilarious. Somehow it got around that Ross doesn't spend a ton of time in the office, which translated to "doesn't work hard," which AINT GONNA FLY IN A BLOO CALLER TAHN LIKE CHICEHHHGO, MY FRIENN.

that accent sounds like the retards here in pittsburgh

Jets have taken a Ravens-esque approach to the draft in recent years with more size/speed guys than under Mangini - Hill, Coples, Davis, Greene, Ellis, Wilkerson...We've also seen them pounce on guys who were expected to go earlier than they went (Hill, Coples, Wilson, WIlkerson) or guys who's athleticism kept them solidly in the mid-rounds despite other questions (Ellis, Davis, Greene, McKnight, Powell, Kerley)...Hallmarks of teams like the Giants and Ravens.

Unfortunately they also drafted Dipsh*t at QB in that period of time so....yah...there goes that....Not that I expect the above to go over well anyway.

Jets have taken a Ravens-esque approach to the draft in recent years with more size/speed guys than under Mangini - Hill, Coples, Davis, Greene, Ellis, Wilkerson...We've also seen them pounce on guys who were expected to go earlier than they went (Hill, Coples, Wilson, WIlkerson) or guys who's athleticism kept them solidly in the mid-rounds despite other questions (Ellis, Davis, Greene, McKnight, Powell, Kerley)...Hallmarks of teams like the Giants and Ravens.

Unfortunately they also drafted Dipsh*t at QB in that period of time so....yah...there goes that....Not that I expect the above to go over well anyway.

...and that in a nutshell encapsulates Tanny's regime...trusting the general consensus versus establishing a top-notch scouting staff...but then they leak how much they really liked Colin Kaepernick...total BS from a BS regime...

...and that in a nutshell encapsulates Tanny's regime...trusting the general consensus versus establishing a top-notch scouting staff...but then they leak how much they really liked Colin Kaepernick...total BS from a BS regime...

That's not true. We also apparently put first round grades on guys like Greene and Vlad

The Giants and Ravens, if you look at the guys they pick vs. their pre-draft hype, often work with what might be considered "the general consensus." Marvin Austin was a former blue chip recruit and a guy who got first round hype early in the draft...Beatty was actually a faller as a LT prospect IIRC...Nicks was the clear #2 behind Bryant for many...Pierre Paul was a real scouting find, but even then he had immense hype on him going into the draft just because of the kind of athleticism he offered...they took the gamble on Andre Woodson, another guy who started the draft process with a ton of hype...Ravens with Arthur Jones, took the gamble on obvious first round talent Jimmy Smith, Ray Rice was a big a name as any on the board when they picked him...Neither franchise does anything special when drafting - they emphasize athleticism, size, and pedigree amongst other qualities.

The Giants and Ravens, if you look at the guys they pick vs. their pre-draft hype, often work with what might be considered "the general consensus." Marvin Austin was a former blue chip recruit and a guy who got first round hype early in the draft...Beatty was actually a faller as a LT prospect IIRC...Nicks was the clear #2 behind Bryant for many...Pierre Paul was a real scouting find, but even then he had immense hype on him going into the draft just because of the kind of athleticism he offered...they took the gamble on Andre Woodson, another guy who started the draft process with a ton of hype...Ravens with Arthur Jones, took the gamble on obvious first round talent Jimmy Smith, Ray Rice was a big a name as any on the board when they picked him...Neither franchise does anything special when drafting - they emphasize athleticism, size, and pedigree amongst other qualities.

Means nothing without the right OC influencing the script with his rout designs!

That's not true. We also apparently put first round grades on guys like Greene and Vlad

The first round grade on Greene was just BS to sell the idea on giving picks to move up to the top of third round...the funny thing with the Vlad pick...from most accounts...if Kyle Wilson (yeah him)...is off the board...they were prepared to draft Vlad in the first round...and the internal discussion to keep him as GM is what exactly?

Marc Ross may be good. I don't know either way. But I feel like Woody needs to bring in someone who is proven. We joke around - but Mark Ross will not get the fanbase excited enough to keep their tickets, let alone new buyers getting in.

remember when the jets made shotty twist in the wind for two weeks hoping he would get a HC job so woody wouldn't have to pay the remainder of his contract ?

and then had to settle for 9th dibs on OC candidates ?

there is no way cheapskate benches sanchez with his contract

so what GM will come here if he has that anchor around his neck ?

a 4th tier candidate given a 5 year deal

yay

Archived