The Drill

JetNation

Post image for The Drill

I usually get right to work on my weekly article aimed to offer my impressions of the New York Jets game and overall state of the organization.  Last night I decided to stew in my frustration and embarrassment, stop reading all the texts my so called friends delighted in sending and waited until this morning to get at the writing.  I really just had no idea what to write about this fiasco,  I was hoping owner Woody Johnson would make it easier for me by waking to the news that Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan were relieved of their duties.  What a reprieve it would have been to not have put into words the laughing stock this franchise is, and begin to write about what is next for the New York Jets.  Unfortunately Mr. Johnson did not provide the early Christmas present I so desperately was hoping for.  After eight hours of wine and tryptophan induced sleep, I am no more prepared to understand how it all fell apart so quickly.  What I do know is Mr. Johnson owes nothing to the two men tasked with bringing a Super Bowl to JetNation nd the millions of great fans that have suffered through decades of futility.   It is clearly not working, obviously can’t be fixed, and it is time to say thanks and good-bye.

Last night Chris Collinsworth said Ryan and the Jets staff are doing all they can to minimize their self-destructive ways by having the team and the coaches do push ups at practice after a penalty or a turnover. That is an absolute joke.  High school coaches exercise this method because they can’t give a player a one way ticket to the debate team.  The way a winning NFL coach minimizes mistakes is by cutting players who make mistakes.  Joe McKnight was a fumble waiting to happen from the day he became a Jet, yet three years later he is not only on the roster but returning kickoffs.  Players in the NFL should not be evaluated by their occasional great plays, but by their ability to play at a consistently high level.  As with weak parenting, nobody benefits from an environment that doesn’t challenge each and every individual to be at their very best.

Not that I care, but if Mike Tannenbaum wants to someday be a relevant person for another NFL team he should distance himself from the Jets as quickly as possible.   He probably could point to enough good drafts and free agent signings to warrant another opportunity.  Regardless of his role in this colossal collapse, he could walk away and claim he had nothing to do with Tebow.  He could claim he was not the orchestrator of the culture that fostered ineptitude.  Putting it bluntly, he could save himself by pointing directly at Ryan.  Who wouldn’t believe a story that paints this loud mouthed head coach as the guy who brought the Jets to these depths?  Clearly the Rams bought that version from Brian Schottenheimer.

As hard as it may be to paint any picture of optimism for the Jets, l like to see this complete debacle that is the 2012 season as the catalyst that will force change.  I actually believe that with the right leader, a few changes to the roster, and an experienced defensive coordinator, the 2013 version of this team can move to adequate very quickly.  I know adequate isn’t winning Super Bowls, but I for one would not survive another 4 months of a season like this.  I will take adequate and maintain the hope that I will see the promise land one day.  Without that hope, it’s just too painful to be a fan.  Last night I allowed myself to think, for the first time in my life, that maybe it just wasn’t going to happen.  I just always assumed we would one day hoist that Lombardi trophy and all the suffering would have been worth it.  That hope gets me through every play, every quarter, and every miserable season.  Maintain hope JetNation, it’s all we have.

I actually see things the other way around. If anyone has a chance to land somewhere else it's Rex, not Tannenbaum. This team lacks talent, depth, and future salary cap flexibility - the GM trifecta.

Tannenbaum has done such a bad job of building a team that it will probably take 2 years to clear out all of the dead money and crappy contracts.

There are 53 players on the Jets roster and at most 3 could start for the 49ers. Absolutely terrible.

Rex will get work, not as a head coach but as a coordinator no question. But a coordinator wont have to answer for a poor performance as a head coach, its not the same skill set. Tannenbaum had real nice drafts early on and landed a few key free agents that did contribue to 2 AFC Championship appearences. When you are that close you roll the dice to get over the hump. Made some bad choices no doubt, but defendable. The point was Tebow may be the head scratcher he cant defend. So get out now, on your terms and be able to create youe own story.

Rex will get work, not as a head coach but as a coordinator no question........ Tannenbaum had real nice drafts early on and landed a few key free agents that did contribue to 2 AFC Championship appearences........So get out now, on your terms and be able to create youe own story.

I agree. I don't hate Rex or Tanny and am pretty sure both have a future in the NFL. But for whatever reason this creation they put together and nurtured for four years has turned out to be a disaster and the time has come for both to move on and for the team to start over. Quickly.

I agree. I don't hate Rex or Tanny and am pretty sure both have a future in the NFL. But for whatever reason this creation they put together and nurtured for four years has turned out to be a disaster and the time has come for both to move on and for the team to start over. Quickly.

you are wrong they draft BAD!!! no depth and giving huge contracts to soso players

Joe McKnight was a fumble waiting to happen from the day he became a Jet, yet three years later he is not only on the roster but returning kickoffs.

<div style="float: left;" http:="" feedads.g.doubleclick.net="" ~a="" naxsch3cbtxr-c1efvmupdnwayi="" 0="" da"="" href="http://feedads.g.doubleclick.net/~a/naXsCh3cBtXR-C1EfVmupDnwaYI/0/da">

Which is nothing in comparison to the innate genius displayed in the decision to let Kyle Foreskin Wilson return punts.

There will be at least a couple epic disasters before that brilliance comes undone.

The National embarrassment that was the Thanks Giving game will forever be in my mind.

To Force change you have the hurt Woody Johnson. Blackout the next game DO NOT go on the game. Show the ****er we've had enough. This Team makes me crave Kotite.

This is as bad as it's been since Kotite-even Herm's last year the 4-win Bollywood Adventures showed a team that would at least play with some heart-this team is heartless. Unfortunately though, this owner is clueless AND gutless-a bad combination and we all already know there will be minimal changes at best, Rex and Tanny will be back along with three point Tony calling the plays in to Sanchez who will maybe have a brand new QB coach that they will try to sell us as the difference maker that we all have craved and all that we need...be prepared for the 2nd worst Jets team in it's history next year guys...2-14, something like that

...be prepared for the 2nd worst Jets team in it's history next year guys...2-14, something like that

SoFla -

I'm not convinced that next year is a waste just yet. I think the biggest move is to get rid of Tannenbaum. Given free reign he will triple down on the mistakes he's already doubled down on.

If the get rid of Tannenbaum the new GM would have no ties to Sanchez and could eat the 8.5M guarantee. If the new GM wants to keep Rex I am ok with it, if he unloads Rex I am ok with that too. You bring in a Matt Moore or Alex Smith and you have more than a few defensive pieces.

With a new GM and QB this has the potential to be a 10 win team. If the new GM just wants to blow it up and play for '14 I am ok with that approach...as long as there is a real plan instead of just drafting / signing random players like we've seen the past few years.

SoFla -

I'm not convinced that next year is a waste just yet. I think the biggest move is to get rid of Tannenbaum. Given free reign he will triple down on the mistakes he's already doubled down on.

If the get rid of Tannenbaum the new GM would have no ties to Sanchez and could eat the 8.5M guarantee. If the new GM wants to keep Rex I am ok with it, if he unloads Rex I am ok with that too. You bring in a Matt Moore or Alex Smith and you have more than a few defensive pieces.

With a new GM and QB this has the potential to be a 10 win team. If the new GM just wants to blow it up and play for '14 I am ok with that approach...as long as there is a real plan instead of just drafting / signing random players like we've seen the past few years.

I love your optimism, but we are beyond this now, it's a Scorched Earth policy that's required. It's Not just as Simple as replacing Sanchez, the Whole team Sucks

Have you seen our receiving corpse (no type O) It's the worse in the League. Outside of Mangold the Oline is horrible, the Running Backs are a Joke, Shonn Greene really......

A Tight End who's on his last Year of his contract, like he re-signs.. He also Can't block. I won't even talk about Holmes. Kerelys the only one worth a Sh*t.

The Defence, our Young stud D-line gets pushed about like a Poindexter at a Bodybuilding Comp, the linebackers are an over paid Slow Joke, staring Rex's mini me "Bart Scott", Pace now that's a joke on its own right.. Harris 9.5Mill you got to be kidding me, and Olde Man Thomas.

The Secondary ant to bad, but we have the upcoming "How do you deal with a Problem like Maria", Sorry I mean Revis. Are we going to pay a 28 year old Cornerback 17m per to make him happy? Time to cash in - I could go on but I won't, we are a Million miles from just replacing Sanchez with a Journeyman NFL Q.B and all of a sudden be a 10-6 Team.

The Team as no Heart, no Guts, no Coaching, and no direction, in short it's time to Burn it all.

It's not that's it's only a bad TEAM, it's a bad system, the WRONG system for this day and age in the NFL. The game always changes and with it now being as they say "A quarterback-driven league" what does our owner do? Why he hires a defensive minded head coach who doesn't even BOTHER going into the offensive room, and then after we finally succeed in running Schottenheimer out of town Johnson/Tannebaum/Ryan then hire the first guy who they KNOW will have to take the job after getting fired as the Dolphins underachieving HC for OC. This is a guy who coached for the FG. In a time where teams like NE are racking up 40+ points a week we have a guy who values the FG as highly as the TD. Now if this were oh I don't know maybe the mid-80's early 90's this philosophy might have worked, but this is 2012 and clearly, IT AIN'T WORKING.

With all that having been said, we all KNOW what's going to happen after the season (what ALWAYS happens) will be minimal changes will be made. Rex will be back, Tanny will be back and Johnson will cite the company line of: "This is a guy and GM who brought this team to 2 consecutive AFCCG...blah blah blah" and you know who that sounds just like? The Dolphins owner from last year talking about the Fins making the playoffs with the Wildcat and Chad Pennington. No, what is going to happen is we'll finally find some sucker to take the job of being Sanchez' new QB coach who they will proclaim him to be "THE answer", the guy who has figured it all out...so yea, Sanchez too will be back-you know it, I know it, we ALL know it, these are the Jets-we've seen this movie before.

Man for a guy who has given up on football I sure have a lot to say about it...green blood syndrome-i can't help it

Archived