Why can't Woody hire anyone with experience?

billo83

Because every conversation about the Jets organizational incompetence somehow ends up with someone saying that Parcells secretly sucks, I present to you Parcells' record as a franchise builder, using the records three years Ante-Parcells and the three years Post-Parcells.

Patriots:

AP (1990-1992) 9-39

PP (1997-1999) 27-21

PP Coach~Pete Carroll

Jets:

AP (1994-1996) 10-38

PP (2000-2002) 28-20

PP Coach: Groh/Edwards

Cowboys:

AP (2000-2002) 15-33

PP (2007-2009) 33-15

PP Coach: Wade Phillips

I don't include the Dolphins because he was only there for a year and a half, but it's worth noting that he's responsible for much of the foundation they currently have--Jake Long, Cam Wake, etc.

Similarly, though he hasn't been near the Cowboys in six years, his players are still the best ones on that team--Ware, Romo, Witten.

So, it really comes down to how awesome at coaching you think Wade Phillips, Pete Carroll and Al Groh/Herm Edwards are.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course I am! Parcells is done.

Gruden loves the game, doesn't take any %$#@, and knows 30X more about offense and QBs than any Jets coach ever has. He's EXACTLY what they need.

But he's got a great gig at ESPN, and you have to make him an offer he can't refuse......

BD

Gruden is a clown.

You want to replace a buffoon with a clown.

I'd like it if we'd hire a football coach, personally.

He turned around the Jets and Cowgirls. Who else ever did that?

He would've done with the Cowgirls if Jerry Jones dumb--- didn't make the football decisions (like Quincy Carter)......

BD

Dude, my point is that the Jets under Hess/Woody have not hired any experienced football men to run the show other than the mighty one. So how can you possibly know whether or not anyone else could do the same. Saying that no one other than the mighty one could turn this organization around is pure BS. Let me ask you this, don't you think that someone like Polian for one example could have turned around around that 1-15 team? I'll tell you this much, he wouldn't have thrown away a gift wrapped Peyton Manning because of his precious ego like the Tuna did. Then we wouldn't be having this conversation at all.

Of course I am! Parcells is done.

Gruden loves the game, doesn't take any %$#@, and knows 30X more about offense and QBs than any Jets coach ever has. He's EXACTLY what they need.

But he's got a great gig at ESPN, and you have to make him an offer he can't refuse......

BD

I thought you said no one else could get them over the hump since the mighty one couldn't?

Give me somebody better. I'm all ears.

How many rings does he have?

BD

If we are going to bring back an analyst, I'd go after Cowher or Dungy. Both have built consistent winners, have rings, and in the case of the Jets should be paid whatever they want to bring in a culture of accountability, discipline, winning and integrity.

Regarding the personnel we have... We are in a great spot to either continue with the 3-4 or switch to a 4-3, doesn't matter. Our LBers are old and slow, and the new kid we just drafted would probably be best served in Dungy's cover-2.

Good leadership doesn't take 3 years to cycle-in the personnel needed for their system like Mangini did, our fanbase was hoodwinked by that clown too. Wade Phillips fixed the Houston defense in one off-season, a couple free agents and well-spent draft picks. Done.

Both Dungy and Cowher are excellent head coaches though, they manage the whole. This nonsense with Rex being a glorified DC is a joke, nobody runs this ****ing team right now. No accountability for Rex = no accountability for anyone else.

If we are going to bring back an analyst, I'd go after Cowher or Dungy. Both have built consistent winners, have rings, and in the case of the Jets should be paid whatever they want to bring in a culture of accountability, discipline, winning and integrity.

Regarding the personnel we have... We are in a great spot to either continue with the 3-4 or switch to a 4-3, doesn't matter. Our LBers are old and slow, and the new kid we just drafted would probably be best served in Dungy's cover-2.

Good leadership doesn't take 3 years to cycle-in the personnel needed for their system like Mangini did, our fanbase was hoodwinked by that clown too. Wade Phillips fixed the Houston defense in one off-season, a couple free agents and well-spent draft picks. Done.

Both Dungy and Cowher are excellent head coaches though, they manage the whole. This nonsense with Rex being a glorified DC is a joke, nobody runs this ****ing team right now. No accountability for Rex = no accountability for anyone else.

I don't have a problem with Cowher/Dungy, but I think they're both done.

Gruden is not done. And he has a background coaching up QBs, which the jets need DESPERATELY! Somebody who can get something out of these clowns.....

BD

Dude, my point is that the Jets under Hess/Woody have not hired any experienced football men to run the show other than the mighty one. So how can you possibly know whether or not anyone else could do the same. Saying that no one other than the mighty one could turn this organization around is pure BS. Let me ask you this, don't you think that someone like Polian for one example could have turned around around that 1-15 team? I'll tell you this much, he wouldn't have thrown away a gift wrapped Peyton Manning because of his precious ego like the Tuna did. Then we wouldn't be having this conversation at all.

I said over the hump, as far as getting to the Super Bowl.

Anybody can have a good year. 5 win teams become 10 win teams the next year all the time.......

BD

Gruden is a clown.

You want to replace a buffoon with a clown.

I'd like it if we'd hire a football coach, personally.

I don't really know who else-Chip Kelly, perhaps. Give Gruden this-he got very far with Rich Gannon and won a title with Brad Johnson. He's the son of a coach. ESPN Is nice easy work. But he's not an old man. Problem is he should be asked this question not by Woody Johnson, and certainly not by Tannenbaum, but by a Polian (or Polian Jr.) or a football lfer who is the new GM. And Johnson is not sharp enough to see that.

I don't have a problem with Cowher/Dungy, but I think they're both done.

Gruden is not done. And he has a background coaching up QBs, which the jets need DESPERATELY! Somebody who can get something out of these clowns.....

BD

Then Gruden should be the QB coach.

What you are advocating is basically the same as what we have now, go out and get a guy that really excels in one specific ability - which should be the role of a coordinator or position coach - and dump the responsibilities of running the whole team on that person, who is 1-dimensional. I believe Gruden is VERY 1-dimensional. He collects QBs, but his SB was Dungy's defense.

DUngy would be a disaster. Amd Cowher would be looking for the last big payday.

Then Gruden should be the QB coach.

What you are advocating is basically the same as what we have now, go out and get a guy that really excels in one specific ability - which should be the role of a coordinator or position coach - and dump the responsibilities of running the whole team on that person, who is 1-dimensional. I believe Gruden is VERY 1-dimensional. He collects QBs, but his SB was Dungy's defense.

Two. He wins titles with marginal teams, and can coach up QBs

The Jets have neither......

BD

Two. He wins titles with marginal teams, and can coach up QBs

The Jets have neither......

BD

Gruden won a title keeping Dungy's seat warm. The Tampa Defense was no touched by Gruden in any way when they won, and that SuperBowl was as much an anomaly as the Ravens, they won in spite of their QB, because the defense was dominant.

I'm not saying Gruden would be terrible. I'm saying he wouldn't be the complete Head Coach that we need after yet another failed promotion of a coordinator by Woody.

Would I take Gruden at this point and hope for him to at least get us a QB? Sure. I just don't see him being much different than Rex. I could be wrong, but I envision us finally have a QB with Gruden and then complaining about how this great QB is wasted because our defense is neglected. Sounds familiar no?

That being said, change is necessary. I just think there are guys out there beyond the names housewives are familiar with, like Gruden.

DUngy would be a disaster. Amd Cowher would be looking for the last big payday.

Yeah, Dungy has failed every where he's gone. Oh wait, he built a SB winner in Tampa and Indy... two franchises that were maligned the same way the Jets have been for most of their existence.

Cowher wouldn't take the job without the intent to succeed. What he gets paid doesn't matter, you are a fan, who cares what comes out of Woody's pockets? I'd rather see Woody make Cowher the highest paid coach in history, than see Woody pay through the nose for another coordinator with no head coaching experience, tbh. The argument that Cowher would want to get paid is basically irrelevant from fans standpoint, especially considering it's Woody's money. Screw Woody.

Yeah, Dungy has failed every where he's gone. Oh wait, he built a SB winner in Tampa and Indy... two franchises that were maligned the same way the Jets have been for most of their existence.

Cowher wouldn't take the job without the intent to succeed. What he gets paid doesn't matter, you are a fan, who cares what comes out of Woody's pockets? I'd rather see Woody make Cowher the highest paid coach in history, than see Woody pay through the nose for another coordinator with no head coaching experience, tbh. The argument that Cowher would want to get paid is basically irrelevant from fans standpoint, especially considering it's Woody's money. Screw Woody.

Cohwer was really never anything special. He doesn't deserve to be the highest paid coach in football, but if he came back he could be because housewives recognize his name. I wouldn't expect a guy who's spent years working in TV to come back and excel as a head coach in the NFL. This job is a grind. The guy may come back with the best of intentions, but I don't think it would be too long before he thinks, "this sucks."

I keep going after the up & comers. The guys hungrier for success than a payday. Or maybe guys hungry for the success that leads to a payday - that's fine, too.

Bill Parcells came in here and turned around 30-40 years of ineptitude. No matter how it may feel right now, that's not where the organization is today. The don't need a big name retread. Mostly, they just need talent.

Started thinking about this today and this is one of the major problems. There's no one in the FO who is experienced enough to fix the issues and have any sense of direction. Woody has not hired anyone with prior experience in their respective position in the most critical areas (Head Coach, GM, Team President). Even most of the Coordinators didn't have any prior experience at the position (Sutton and Schitty specifically come to mind). Herm didn't even have experience as a DC and Mangini only 1 year as a DC.

You can't hire that many newbies to run the show and expect stability and direction. It's like fielding a team comprised of all rookies. There may be a lot of talent there, but no one with experiece to lead. I think Rex could be a decent coach if he had an experienced GM to run everything outside of the D. It's very apparent that this team is a clusterf*ck with no organization, direction, and leadership which is a result of never hiring anyone with solid experience.

I don't think it needs to be a household name like some people are suggesting like Polian, Cowher, or Gruden. Just get someone who has some experience in their role. I'm sick and tired of these 1st time HC's and GM's. The experiment has failed.

Some perspective is needed. Until this year, Woody's ownership (since 2000) produced a winning record with six playoff appearances. While this record isn't spectacular, it's better than most teams in that time span. The problem is that during that time span there were too many quick fixes wothout a long term strategy. Siccessful franchises such as the Giants, Steelers, Ravens, Pats etc build their teams on maintaining draft picks and drafting well. These teams also establish an identity as to their style of play. The Jets have no true identity. Ground and Pound is a farce without the talent to execute it. The solution is getting a football executive, not a coach, as a GM. Woody has to decide what he wants this team to become. The status quo is not acceptable and I think Woody knows it.

Cohwer was really never anything special. He doesn't deserve to be the highest paid coach in football, but if he came back he could be because housewives recognize his name. I wouldn't expect a guy who's spent years working in TV to come back and excel as a head coach in the NFL. This job is a grind. The guy may come back with the best of intentions, but I don't think it would be too long before he thinks, "this sucks."

I keep going after the up & comers. The guys hungrier for success than a payday. Or maybe guys hungry for the success that leads to a payday - that's fine, too.

Bill Parcells came in here and turned around 30-40 years of ineptitude. No matter how it may feel right now, that's not where the organization is today. The don't need a big name retread. Mostly, they just need talent.

I'd hardly call Cowher a retread.

He kept that team competitive the whole time he was there, granted their FO is largely responsible for the roster, but Cowher did what a head coach should do. He managed the whole. Tomlin has done the same since he's been there, he's done a good job directing the whole.

So, I guess saying all that... it's more an indictment of our FO than anything else. The right FO hits more than it misses on free agents and draft picks, builds through the draft and knows how to hire good leadership.

DUngy had the Bucs quit on him in a playoff game vs. the Eagles right before he was fired. If anyone was keeping a seat warm or along for the ride, it was DUngy in Indy; he can be credited with leaving Peyton Manning and Tom Moore alone.What QB has he developed-Sean King? Trent Dilfer? Gimme a f__ing break. He also loves that Cover WHo, which is great if you have the Bucs' personnel he had. Otherwise as with Herman Edwards here, it pretty much sucks.DUngy and Edwards always talk as if they won a sheetload of SUper Bowls: I recall an undeachieving team that always sucked when it mattered, like the Groh/Chrebet/flashlight mess. If the offense is the problem how do you bring in ANOTHER defensive guy like DUngy? And big marketing picture-what ever you think about "social issues", how do you sell a homophobe in the NY market? That would be a very unnecessary media mess.

In the event Rex gets wacked, I'm having a hard time seeing how Woody's #1 target isn't Gruden. Not because Gruden is the best candidate, but because he's the rock star option that Woody will want. Saban isn't coming here to coach against Belichick. Cowher is going to wait out Coughlin. Holmgren would want full power. Dungy is gonna stay behind that desk getting yelled at by Rodney Harrison. Who's left? Mike Tice? Perry Fewell? Maybe Lane Kiffin when USC fires him?

Archived