•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stephen Hill: Future breakout star, or another blown Jets draft pick?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

provocateur wannabe

• Members
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationPago Pago

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

All of these Jets draft picks can't be rotten. You have to build these picks, and make a place where they can grow. His raw measurables are off the charts. As good, if not better than, some of the league's best!

Compare him to someone who he shares a physical nature to, the one and only Calvin Johnson, who was a struggling highly-drafted rookie in 2007.

Some don't remember the rookies season for Calvin Johnson, but the word "Bust" was used often for the superstar, mostly because he couldn't catch a cold in his first season

95 targets
48 receptions

His hands didn't work too good, back in da day.

But the next year, he turned it around, with over 75 recs and over 1000 yards, and he's never looked back. Same thing happened to Keyshawn Johnson when he came to the Jets.

Between Sanchez, Sparano, a defensive HC, and Team Turmoil, it can't be easy for a rookie WR, from a small football school, to come to the world's biggest market, and play well right out of the box.

I think a good QB, another OC, and some time will pay dividends for the noob. He has raw talent up the wazoo. But he certainly doesn't have the environment to develop it.

I think he becomes a stud, if he gets the NFL training he needs.

Cris Carter runs an off-season training program for NFL wideouts. He would be wise to get up on that.

God forbid, a strong WR mentor and leader next year to play and help him grow......
BD

Edited by BlackDynamite, 24 November 2012 - 12:39 AM.

#2 Lil Bit Special

Lil Bit Special

pumba lookin ass- Chris Ivory

• Members
  • 23,018 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

since no-name sh!tty WR's seem to be popping up all over the place there is no reason why he cant be successful.... unless he continues to have sh!tty coaching and QB
 photo c82dba5d-cef7-4044-a308-6f6302c7ad1c.jpg

#3 BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

provocateur wannabe

• Members
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationPago Pago

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

With this level of leadership, on and off the field, did you really expect him to play well right out of the box?
BD

#4 BurnleyJet

BurnleyJet

Fan for 30 years (You get less for Murder these days!)

• Members
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:11 AM

He's raw, shown flashes he can be coached, I'm not ready to bin him yet, but Iam the HC GM owner and half the team.

#5 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,590 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:23 AM

He's not a bust, he was a project. Everyone knew this when he came out. It's our fault for drafting him and penciling him in as a starter 5 minutes later.

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#6 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,978 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

Everything Rex touches turns to gold.

Edited by T0mShane, 24 November 2012 - 06:50 AM.

Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#7 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,343 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

I think there's some middle ground between star and bust. I also think Hill has more star than bust in him.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#8 afosomf

afosomf

mon

• Members
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

i would say now more bust than star after next yr bust may move up to Jag

Edited by afosomf, 24 November 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#9 RSJ

RSJ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,012 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

There is not way with his athletic ability Hill will be a bust. He needs an NFL offseason or two before we see how good he will be though.

#10 afosomf

afosomf

mon

• Members
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

we all remember Lam Jones, so far Hill looks like Lammie, still time, Cordy Glenn should have been the pick

#11 RSJ

RSJ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,012 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

we all remember Lam Jones, so far Hill looks like Lammie, still time, Cordy Glenn should have been the pick

What? lol He has already put himself past Jones with the game in Buffalo. Hill will never be a top Jets bust of all time just by the pure fact that they didn't give up nearly the amount to get him that they did guys like Jones. Most rookie WR's take a few years to get it all down. Hill has already showed signs of potential.

Edited by RSJ, 24 November 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#12 afosomf

afosomf

mon

• Members
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

What? lol He has already put himself past Jones with the game in Buffalo. Hill will never be a top Jets bust of all time just by the pure fact that they didn't give up nearly the amount to get him that they did guys like Jones. Most rookie WR's take a few years to get it all down. Hill has already showed signs of potential.

he may end up ok, i just do not see it now.

#13 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 21,946 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

He's not the athlete you guys make him out to be from a football standpoint. He's doofy as all hell on the field. He has straight line speed after about 10 yards...the problem is he cant get off the line. And the fact he cant catch.

Edited by Matt39, 24 November 2012 - 09:08 AM.

#14 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 17,981 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

collinsworth said is he one of the "greenest" WR's he's ever seen in the NFL

I'd say him having any impact is probably 2 years away

so he's a wasted pick in my mind

this offense was in need of a guy to contribute this season, and they drafted a super raw prospect with combine numbers/ fml
“I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.”

#15 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,978 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

I'm sure he's learning tons from Chas Schilens. Practically the same guy so far.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#16 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 21,946 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

collinsworth said is he one of the "greenest" WR's he's ever seen in the NFL

I'd say him having any impact is probably 2 years away

so he's a wasted pick in my mind

this offense was in need of a guy to contribute this season, and they drafted a super raw prospect with combine numbers/ fml

Alshon Jeffrey was the guy then

#17 NorthCoastJetsFan

NorthCoastJetsFan

Senior Igloo Engineer

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

I'm not ready to call him a bust. I think WR is one of the hardest positions to learn in the NFL

His positives: speed, size, work ethic, and he can block out on the edge

Negatives: catching ability, route running

I think those can be addressed with some hard work, which he is not afraid of. WIll he be a Megatron? I don't know, but I think he can certainly be a capable WR in the NFL

#18 BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

provocateur wannabe

• Members
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationPago Pago

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

He's not the athlete you guys make him out to be from a football standpoint. He's doofy as all hell on the field. He has straight line speed after about 10 yards...the problem is he cant get off the line. And the fact he cant catch.

He's 6'4 215 lbs, and will probably fill out some more.
He has a 39" vertical leap.
Runs the 40 in 4.32

That's better than 99% of the NFL WRs today.

He needs to be trained to be a pro WR. He needs an off-season with Cris Carter, and he needs a mentor with the team. Somebody who has done it as a pro, to mentor him year-round.

He's a good kid. Get a real offense, and someone to show him the way.....
BD

#19 KINGDIRK

KINGDIRK

Free Agent

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Organizations that know what the hell they are doing (Gmen, Pitt, GB, NE, etc) would have drafted a kid like Hill and realized he was beyond raw/inexperienced. They would have integrated the kid slowly so he could learn at a slower pace (i.e. legit player development).

But the Jets decided that Hill could step in right away and start in the NFL. It's an absolute joke and just another example why a complete overhaul of the front office is necessary.

#20 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,350 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

I think there's some middle ground between star and bust. I also think Hill has more star than bust in him.

There is no such thing, you are being delusional.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#21 Jetscode1

Jetscode1

Veteran

• Members
  • 7,478 posts
  • LocationNorth America; Western Hemisphere; the Earth; the Solar System; the Universe; the Mind of God

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

I liked Jeffrey better coming out...Hill was a project...with that said...we still need a regime change...repeat of the staff we have in place does little to further his development...

Det. William 'Bunk' Moreland: A man must have a code. 

#22 BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

provocateur wannabe

• Members
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationPago Pago

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

It's not like any rook WR has come out and dominated. The NFL is a pretty tough place for a rook.

Which makes the RG3 really big for good reason......
BD

#23 peebag

peebag

What? Me Worry?

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

we'll never know until we can get a qb to get him the ball more...

#24 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,626 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

Where he was picked makes him a big letdown so far. But I like kids upside and feels he wil lget LOTS of coaching in offseason w/Jugs machine etc etc.
He has shown ability to get open and is good blocker. If we can get him more consistent with hands then upside is big.
He has to show big progress next year however. I still think Sanchez hurts all his WRs with his 1) bad throws and 2) late throws.
Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#25 gEYno

gEYno

2013-2014 & 2014-2015 JN Captain & VIP Member

• Members
  • 17,535 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

Can you improve your hands? That will determine it.

reset_buttonjpgscaled500_zps740f8923.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users