Stephen Hill: Future breakout star, or another blown Jets draft pick?

BlackDynamite

All of these Jets draft picks can't be rotten. You have to build these picks, and make a place where they can grow. His raw measurables are off the charts. As good, if not better than, some of the league's best!

Compare him to someone who he shares a physical nature to, the one and only Calvin Johnson, who was a struggling highly-drafted rookie in 2007.

Some don't remember the rookies season for Calvin Johnson, but the word "Bust" was used often for the superstar, mostly because he couldn't catch a cold in his first season

95 targets

48 receptions

His hands didn't work too good, back in da day.

But the next year, he turned it around, with over 75 recs and over 1000 yards, and he's never looked back. Same thing happened to Keyshawn Johnson when he came to the Jets.

Between Sanchez, Sparano, a defensive HC, and Team Turmoil, it can't be easy for a rookie WR, from a small football school, to come to the world's biggest market, and play well right out of the box.

I think a good QB, another OC, and some time will pay dividends for the noob. He has raw talent up the wazoo. But he certainly doesn't have the environment to develop it.

I think he becomes a stud, if he gets the NFL training he needs.

Cris Carter runs an off-season training program for NFL wideouts. He would be wise to get up on that.

God forbid, a strong WR mentor and leader next year to play and help him grow......

BD

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we all remember Lam Jones, so far Hill looks like Lammie, still time, Cordy Glenn should have been the pick

What? lol He has already put himself past Jones with the game in Buffalo. Hill will never be a top Jets bust of all time just by the pure fact that they didn't give up nearly the amount to get him that they did guys like Jones. Most rookie WR's take a few years to get it all down. Hill has already showed signs of potential.

What? lol He has already put himself past Jones with the game in Buffalo. Hill will never be a top Jets bust of all time just by the pure fact that they didn't give up nearly the amount to get him that they did guys like Jones. Most rookie WR's take a few years to get it all down. Hill has already showed signs of potential.

he may end up ok, i just do not see it now.

collinsworth said is he one of the "greenest" WR's he's ever seen in the NFL

I'd say him having any impact is probably 2 years away

so he's a wasted pick in my mind

this offense was in need of a guy to contribute this season, and they drafted a super raw prospect with combine numbers/ fml

collinsworth said is he one of the "greenest" WR's he's ever seen in the NFL

I'd say him having any impact is probably 2 years away

so he's a wasted pick in my mind

this offense was in need of a guy to contribute this season, and they drafted a super raw prospect with combine numbers/ fml

Alshon Jeffrey was the guy then

I'm not ready to call him a bust. I think WR is one of the hardest positions to learn in the NFL

His positives: speed, size, work ethic, and he can block out on the edge

Negatives: catching ability, route running

I think those can be addressed with some hard work, which he is not afraid of. WIll he be a Megatron? I don't know, but I think he can certainly be a capable WR in the NFL

He's not the athlete you guys make him out to be from a football standpoint. He's doofy as all hell on the field. He has straight line speed after about 10 yards...the problem is he cant get off the line. And the fact he cant catch.

He's 6'4 215 lbs, and will probably fill out some more.

He has a 39" vertical leap.

Runs the 40 in 4.32

That's better than 99% of the NFL WRs today.

He needs to be trained to be a pro WR. He needs an off-season with Cris Carter, and he needs a mentor with the team. Somebody who has done it as a pro, to mentor him year-round.

He's a good kid. Get a real offense, and someone to show him the way.....

BD

Organizations that know what the hell they are doing (Gmen, Pitt, GB, NE, etc) would have drafted a kid like Hill and realized he was beyond raw/inexperienced. They would have integrated the kid slowly so he could learn at a slower pace (i.e. legit player development).

But the Jets decided that Hill could step in right away and start in the NFL. It's an absolute joke and just another example why a complete overhaul of the front office is necessary.

Where he was picked makes him a big letdown so far. But I like kids upside and feels he wil lget LOTS of coaching in offseason w/Jugs machine etc etc.

He has shown ability to get open and is good blocker. If we can get him more consistent with hands then upside is big.

He has to show big progress next year however. I still think Sanchez hurts all his WRs with his 1) bad throws and 2) late throws.

People are very quick to throw the bust label on Hill. He's a rookie who was drafted based on raw ability. Most wide receivers take a year or two to really get it going anyway, especially those coming from Georgia Tech. Calvin Johnson Jr. like previously mentioned, did not have a great rookie season and neither did Demaryius Thomas.

we all remember Lam Jones, so far Hill looks like Lammie, still time, Cordy Glenn should have been the pick

Like Jones if you cannot catch all the speed in the world doesn't mean a damn thing. Hill cannot catch. By all accounts a nice kid, but he can't catch. And when you keep picking "projects' in the 2nd round that never contribute, your GM and scouting department suck.

Archived