Stephen Hill: Future breakout star, or another blown Jets draft pick?

BlackDynamite

Like Jones if you cannot catch all the speed in the world doesn't mean a damn thing. Hill cannot catch. By all accounts a nice kid, but he can't catch. And when you keep picking "projects' in the 2nd round that never contribute, your GM and scouting department suck.

I concur Cordy Glenn was there to be had, starting RT, Not sure who the scout was, but i have a good idea

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stephen Hill will become.........whatever the Jets want him to become.

If they want him to be great, they will bring in a great WR mentor to show him how.......

BD

They did that this year. The guy from Oakland developed a bunch of good WRs from nothing out there, he even brought Heyward Bey around somewhat... and that kid was basically the same as Hill, big, fast target that can't hold onto football. I actually think Hill might run better routes in his rookie year than Hey Bey did in his.

Stellar job drafting him over Mo Sanu who will be an absolute beast for years in Cincy. It's not like Sanu played in their ****ing backyard or anything for 4 years.

Hill does have more catches for more yards than Sanu.

Interesting stat on Hill. 16 catches, 14 for 1st downs.

BD

That's not what his game log says. Try to keep the lies to a minimum.....

BD

What the hell are you talking about? He had no targets the first 5 games of the season and barely played in the next 2 games. It's only recently (after hawkins got hurt 2 weeks ago) that he's been a part of the offense and he's done nothing but produce.

What the hell are you talking about? He had no targets the first 5 games of the season and barely played in the next 2 games. It's only recently (after hawkins got hurt 2 weeks ago) that he's been a part of the offense and he's done nothing but produce.

Look at his game log before you lie, that's all.

Can you handle that?

BD

It looks like your ignorance is slowing down, from Level Sparano.

Moving on.....

BD

So you made my point for me. He didn't play untill 2 weeks ago when he started getting targets. 19 of his 25 targets have been since Hawkins got hurt 2 weeks ago and Sanu has been playing great. What the hell is this even an argument about?

So you made my point for me. He didn't play untill 2 weeks ago when he started getting targets. 19 of his 25 targets have been since Hawkins got hurt 2 weeks ago and Sanu has been playing great. What the hell is this even an argument about?

Your ignorance just hit Tannenbaum Levels!

Abort! ABORT!!

BD

All of these Jets draft picks can't be rotten. You have to build these picks, and make a place where they can grow. His raw measurables are off the charts. As good, if not better than, some of the league's best!

Compare him to someone who he shares a physical nature to, the one and only Calvin Johnson, who was a struggling highly-drafted rookie in 2007.

Some don't remember the rookies season for Calvin Johnson, but the word "Bust" was used often for the superstar, mostly because he couldn't catch a cold in his first season

95 targets

48 receptions

His hands didn't work too good, back in da day.

But the next year, he turned it around, with over 75 recs and over 1000 yards, and he's never looked back. Same thing happened to Keyshawn Johnson when he came to the Jets.

Between Sanchez, Sparano, a defensive HC, and Team Turmoil, it can't be easy for a rookie WR, from a small football school, to come to the world's biggest market, and play well right out of the box.

I think a good QB, another OC, and some time will pay dividends for the noob. He has raw talent up the wazoo. But he certainly doesn't have the environment to develop it.

I think he becomes a stud, if he gets the NFL training he needs.

Cris Carter runs an off-season training program for NFL wideouts. He would be wise to get up on that.

God forbid, a strong WR mentor and leader next year to play and help him grow......

BD

Have you heard of Johnny Lam Jones?....nuff said.

College didn't stop them for sucking out loud as NFL rooks.......

BD

Calvin Johnson had 48 catches in his rookie season.

Keyshawn had 63 catches his rookie season.

Hill has 16.

I'm not saying he can't bounce back and be a good receiver, but he doesn't have the history or pedigree of either of these guys. He's got the measurables, but a lot of guys had measureables that didn't quite work out.

Calvin Johnson had 48 catches in his rookie season.

Keyshawn had 63 catches his rookie season.

Hill has 16.

I'm not saying he can't bounce back and be a good receiver, but he doesn't have the history or pedigree of either of these guys. He's got the measurables, but a lot of guys had measureables that didn't quite work out.

And they had 100 targets. He's had 30. Not sure why you are desperate to fight for this point. You want him to be garbage?

He CAN BE a great WR, but it's gonna take time, training, and a mentor. Very few walk into this league and play great. Keyshawn and Calvin dropped enough balls in their rookie seasons to be labeled "busts". They grew out of it. That's all I'm saying......

BD

Keyshawn had 90 catches his senior season.

Megatron had 76 catches his senior season.

Hill had 49 catches in his COLLEGE CAREER.

I know you were just responding to a post, but your comparing top 3 picks in the draft to a 2nd rounder and expecting the same production as rookies.

And they had 100 targets. He's had 30. Not sure why you are desperate to fight for this point. You want him to be garbage?

He CAN BE a great WR, but it's gonna take time, training, and a mentor. Very few walk into this league and play great. Keyshawn and Calvin dropped enough balls in their rookie seasons to be labeled "busts". They grew out of it. That's all I'm saying......

BD

Of course I want him to pan out, but I wasn't an advocate for drafting him in the first place. I thought it was a mistake to another developmental player after taking one in the first. We needed impact players, not guys who might work out if they ever learn how to catch.

I know you were just responding to a post, but your comparing top 3 picks in the draft to a 2nd rounder and expecting the same production as rookies.

I didn't make the comparison. I didn't expect him to come in and step right in to the #2 WR slot flawlessly, but apparently Rex and Tanny did. The guy should be a #4 right now on any team. I did though, expect, for a 2nd round pick to have caught more than 50 balls in his career in college.

Of course I want him to pan out, but I wasn't an advocate for drafting him in the first place. I thought it was a mistake to another developmental player after taking one in the first. We needed impact players, not guys who might work out if they ever learn how to catch.

Pro WRs take 2-3 years to show who they really are. Very few walk out as rookies and play well.

Even Jerry Rice had a bad rookie season.....

BD

I don't think it was such a bad move getting a project like Hill to play #2 WR. I think part of Sparano's (I don't like him and didn't want him, but...) plan would help out a physically gifted kid that isn't so fluid. He will need work to be a great WR, but he can (should) pay dividends for this offense by blocking and by getting open deep, stretching the field and getting WIDE open when he's open. He isn't always going to get off the line clean or make the sharpest cuts, but when he's open he is VERY open and it makes for an easier read for sh*tty QBs like Sanchez and Tebow. I have seen him wide open as much in 10 games as I have seen WRs in the rest of Sanchez career.

I thought Cris Carter ran the FAST camp? I don't see how much help that old X head is going to provide. He should have somebody working with him on catching balls in and out of breaks in limited game situations. It's okay if he is roasting a high school kid, just to get the feel of catching the ball on the run and in route. IMO the JUGs machine isn't going to help.

Archived