Stephen Hill: Future breakout star, or another blown Jets draft pick?

BlackDynamite

...when he's open he is VERY open and it makes for an easier read for sh*tty QBs like Sanchez and Tebow. I have seen him wide open as much in 10 games as I have seen WRs in the rest of Sanchez career.

That's because he's getting sent on mid to deep routes and defenses know that the odds say he won't catch the ball or Sanchez will throw a bad pass. This goes back to last year and the thing that you argued didn't happen but really did and is still happening. Defenses dare Sanchez to beat them deep. He can't.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's because he's getting sent on mid to deep routes and defenses know that the odds say he won't catch the ball or Sanchez will throw a bad pass. This goes back to last year and the thing that you argued didn't happen but really did and is still happening. Defenses dare Sanchez to beat them deep. He can't.

When did I say that didn't happen? I don't recall that. Maybe that it's not at a Penningtonesque level, but I don't remember arguing that it didn't happen. What you are saying argues for drafting HIll. Sure his catch percentage is way too low, but even at 1/3 he should still be more of a weapon.

When did I say that didn't happen? I don't recall that. Maybe that it's not at a Penningtonesque level, but I don't remember arguing that it didn't happen. What you are saying argues for drafting HIll. Sure his catch percentage is way too low, but even at 1/3 he should still be more of a weapon.

I'm too lazy to use the search feature for it. Regardless, it certainly doesn't. Outliers aren't reasons to believe that a good and stabilized level of production is possible even with a capable quarterback. If they were, they wouldn't be outliers. This is why sites like PFF track targets and FO adjusts for replacement.

Pro WRs take 2-3 years to show who they really are. Very few walk out as rookies and play well.

Even Jerry Rice had a bad rookie season.....

BD

I understand the point you're trying to make and I agree, but I wouldn't necessarily call, problems with drops or not, 50 catches and 1000 yards a bad season. Especially considering he only started 4 games and had roughly 19 yards per reception.

I think hill will be fine; ball security and concentration/looking the ball in are some of the most easily fixable problems. Christ, if Tiki can learn to not fumble the ball in the twilight of his career, I'm sure a dedicated Hill can improve his hands.

I'm too lazy to use the search feature for it. Regardless, it certainly doesn't. Outliers aren't reasons to believe that a good and stabilized level of production is possible even with a capable quarterback. If they were, they wouldn't be outliers. This is why sites like PFF track targets and FO adjusts for replacement.

Maybe I did. Don't remember it being a huge issue either way. I'm not saying that he should have a "good and stabilized level of production." I am talking about adding the fear factor, like throwing deep for Tebow did in the Steelers playoff game. The guy may not always complete them, but having him a big fast WR should lead to a disproportionate number of TDs per completion. Doesn't appear to be the case right now, but I think it was worth a pick rather than an allegedly more polished guy - say Ruben Randle.

I think hill will be fine; ball security and concentration/looking the ball in are some of the most easily fixable problems. Christ, if Tiki can learn to not fumble the ball in the twilight of his career, I'm sure a dedicated Hill can improve his hands.

Agreed. Simple laws of physics say that those two things are exactly the same.

Maybe I did. Don't remember it being a huge issue either way. I'm not saying that he should have a "good and stabilized level of production." I am talking about adding the fear factor, like throwing deep for Tebow did in the Steelers playoff game. The guy may not always complete them, but having him a big fast WR should lead to a disproportionate number of TDs per completion. Doesn't appear to be the case right now, but I think it was worth a pick rather than an allegedly more polished guy - say Ruben Randle.

Nobody is ever going to be afraid of a receiver who can't catch. You could regenerate Seabiscuit and give him a human brain and the knowledge of how to play football and talk, and stick him out on the field at wideout, but the opposing DC isn't going to really give a sh*t that there's a horse lining up at WR because he won't have opposable thumbs.

Nobody defense is ever going to be afraid of a receiver who can't catch. You could regenerate Seabiscuit and give him a human brain and the knowledge of how to play football and talk, and stick him out on the field at wideout, but the opposing DC isn't going to really give a sh*t that there's a horse lining up at WR because he won't have opposable thumbs.

Yeah, but he'd beat a jam like none other.

Man won't you be sorry when one of the ten eventually pans out. Face. Egg. All Over.

You know, now that I think about it, it would actually make for a good reality TV show. Trying to teach a 21-year-old how to catch footballs in the NFL. Maybe have Pauly D on the sideline making jokes to keep it light. This could work.

You know, now that I think about it, it would actually make for a good reality TV show. Trying to teach a 21-year-old how to catch footballs in the NFL. Maybe have Pauly D on the sideline making jokes to keep it light. This could work.

Tanny can show Hill how to catch mon

where is Crushers sig when u need it

You'd be so much more entertaining with this if you'd chosen Razor Ramon.

This was too good of a topic to waste; So, my celebrity story; my dad was in and out of the hospital with cancer as I was growing up and it was in the third grade during a pretty bad winter storm. You think I could tell you which hospital it was, but nah, the only thing I remember is seeing my idol at the time, Brett "the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be"Hitman Hart. Total shell shocked, I couldn't make out words other than, Mr. Hitman, you're wayy awesome, or something to that nature.. I can only imagine he was there to be treated or with someone who was being treated as those guys worked 365 days a year, roided up and with no offseason whatsoever. Anyways, he gave me a pair of his black plastic glasses, of which I'm sure he had a million pairs, and those along with my Joe Namath signed football, 1996 yankees team signed baseball are my only three possessions I really care about.

Archived