How can we push Woody to axe Tanny?

CM28

Your dislike of Ryan is causing you to absolve Tanny. Tanny hired Rex. Tanny is Rex's boss. Tannenbaum's job is to bring in personnel. He has every right to overrule Rex. In fact, on Hard Kocks, Rex talked about how Tanny gives him one draft pick - and that year it was a fifth rounder. The personnel is Tannenbaum's responsibility, and he's failed in that job.

Working for a competent GM, Rex would be a quality coach. Conversely, no coach could get much more out of this excuse for talent than Rex has.

You cannot seriously be telling us that you believe that Rex doesn't have a big sway on who get's drafted. Plus, the loss of the locker room and the crap talent have a lot to do with Rex. Rex is an overrated coach that has lost control of the locker room and needs to be fired along with Tanny. It's time to rebuild, and if you support rebuilding, then Rex has got to go because no good GM is going to want to be tied to Rex. A new GM is going to want to bring in his own guys and Rex is going to have to go.

You cannot seriously be telling us that you believe that Rex doesn't have a big sway on who get's drafted. Plus, the loss of the locker room and the crap talent have a lot to do with Rex. Rex is an overrated coach that has lost control of the locker room and needs to be fired along with Tanny. It's time to rebuild, and if you support rebuilding, then Rex has got to go because no good GM is going to want to be tied to Rex. A new GM is going to want to bring in his own guys and Rex is going to have to go.

Yup, 100% correct.

The responsibility is Tannenbaum's. If he leaned to heavily on Rex, that's also his fault. He needs to overrule the coach on personnel matters for the good of the team.

Rex needs to be in a traditional organization where the GM buys the groceries, and the HC cooks the meal.

Do you honestly think anyone could coach this current assembly of talent with any better results than Rex is getting? My feeling is no.

Right before Rex goes to bed every night, he should give Eric Mangini a call and thank him and Tanny for putting together a team that has allowed him to last this long as a head coach. Then he should call Woody and apologize for messing up one of the most talented Jets rosters ever by not winning a championship with it. Rex is a complete joke.

The responsibility is Tannenbaum's. If he leaned to heavily on Rex, that's also his fault. He needs to overrule the coach on personnel matters for the good of the team.

Rex needs to be in a traditional organization where the GM buys the groceries, and the HC cooks the meal.

Do you honestly think anyone could coach this current assembly of talent with any better results than Rex is getting? My feeling is no.

Thats not how it works here dude. Ever since Parcells the Jets philosophy has been that the coach cooks the dinner and therefor shops for his own groceries. This has been well documented throughout this era since Parcells left. The GM tries to get it to work within the cap, deals with the agents, ect.

Thats not how it works here dude. Ever since Parcells the Jets philosophy has been that the coach cooks the dinner and therefor shops for his own groceries. This has been well documented throughout this era since Parcells left. The GM tries to get it to work within the cap, deals with the agents, ect.

Tannenbaum is the boss. He hired Rex. He has the final say in the draft room and in free agency. He can and should listen to the coach's input, but at the end of the day it's his call. The problem is that Tannenbaum is not a football guy, so he leans too heavily on the football guys working for him. If he knew his job, the Jets would end up with fewer boar hunters and terminators.

And that carries over to all the draft pick trades he makes. He'd rather trade his picks for proven commodities because he can't trust himself to make the call on a fourth or fifth rounder in the draft. And he falls in love with players at the top, and can't stop himself from trading up to grab a guy because he's afraid someone else will. He locks onto draft picks the way Sanchez locks onto his receiver.

I believe Rex can be a good coach, and will go on to be one if the Jets cut bait with him. He needs to be in a structured environment where the GM acquires the talent, and it's his job to coach it. Rex isn't a scout, either, and his judgement gets easily clouded in free agency by players who've done we'll against him. He needs to work for a strong, unbiased GM who is simply bringing in the best available players for the team.

Tannenbaum is the boss. He hired Rex. He has the final say in the draft room and in free agency. He can and should listen to the coach's input, but at the end of the day it's his call. The problem is that Tannenbaum is not a football guy, so he leans too heavily on the football guys working for him. If he knew his job, the Jets would end up with fewer boar hunters and terminators.

And that carries over to all the draft pick trades he makes. He'd rather trade his picks for proven commodities because he can't trust himself to make the call on a fourth or fifth rounder in the draft. And he falls in love with players at the top, and can't stop himself from trading up to grab a guy because he's afraid someone else will. He locks onto draft picks the way Sanchez locks onto his receiver.

I believe Rex can be a good coach, and will go on to be one if the Jets cut bait with him. He needs to be in a structured environment where the GM acquires the talent, and it's his job to coach it. Rex isn't a scout, either, and his judgement gets easily clouded in free agency by players who've done we'll against him. He needs to work for a strong, unbiased GM who is simply bringing in the best available players for the team.

That's not how it works at all bro. Why do you think the players the Jets picked up under Mangini were so different than the ones they picked up under Rex? Rex is the problem and he will be the one to get fired. Rightfully so.

That's not how it works at all bro. Why do you think the players the Jets picked up under Mangini were so different than the ones they picked up under Rex? Rex is the problem and he will be the one to get fired. Rightfully so.

Did you read my post, or just quote it twice?

Here's the Readers' Digest version: Rex shouldn't have as much say in personnel as he does, but he does because Tannenbaum is incompetent.

Did you read my post, or just quote it twice?

Here's the Readers' Digest version: Rex shouldn't have as much say in personnel as he does, but he does because Tannenbaum is incompetent.

Thats not the organizations philosophy and I dont think it should change. The coach needs to have heavy say in the way the roster is made up. They almost have to.

Thats not the organizations philosophy and I dont think it should change. The coach needs to have heavy say in the way the roster is made up. They almost have to.

Couldn't disagree more.

First of all, the idea that this organization actually has a philosophy is a joke.

Second, if that was their philosophy, it's a bad one. Strong GMs build good teams, period.

Third, Tannenbaum is not a strong GM, he's an incompetent one.

Couldn't disagree more.

First of all, the idea that this organization actually has a philosophy is a joke.

Second, if that was their philosophy, it's a bad one. Strong GMs build good teams, period.

Third, Tannenbaum is not a strong GM, he's an incompetent one.

So Pioli is responsible for the Pats success? As much as the Giants front office is given credit (and they should be) Coughlin picks his players as well. Coughlins drafts in Jax were similar to the ones with the Giants.

Please explain the difference in drafting with Mangini and Rex? Or the free agents? It IS this organizations philosophy.

I was thinking about this as well. We'll need Sperm to catagorize all of Tannenbaum's crimes against the Jets into a digestible format that even lay Jet fans can understand.

And Shane can edit it, maybe put a ^this on the bottom of the page with his initials.

I'd consider paying for the ad myself if we want to go this route.

So Pioli is responsible for the Pats success? As much as the Giants front office is given credit (and they should be) Coughlin picks his players as well. Coughlins drafts in Jax were similar to the ones with the Giants.

Please explain the difference in drafting with Mangini and Rex? Or the free agents? It IS this organizations philosophy.

The Pioli/Belichick dynamic is different than most in the league. A coach reaches Belichick's stature, and he can buy his own groceries. Like Parcells did with the Jets after not being allowed to in NE. Rex isn't there quite yet.

Coughlin does not pick his own players. He's on a short leash between championships. Reese runs that show.

And I already explained the influence of Rex and Mangini in the Jets' drafts. You originally quoted it twice. It's Tannenbaum's incompetence. If Tannenbaum was a qualified GM, he wouldn't have to rely so heavily on green head coaches in personnel matters.

When Parcells goes on to run the show in Miami, was Luigi making the calls in the draft room? Was Mangini making the picks on the Browns working under Holmgren? No, those were front offices with football men in charge, making the calls on personnel. That's the job. Packers, Ravens, Steelers, etc., all run their personnel thru the GM, not the coach.

What you're calling a philosophy is just incompetence.

I'd consider paying for the ad myself if we want to go this route.

I was actually on the Times website looking for ad rates, and couldn't find them. I'd be interested in the pricing. Be awesome advertising for the site, too, if Phil wanted to put the JN name on it. Not like he's getting press passes anytime soon, anyway. Lol.

The Pioli/Belichick dynamic is different than most in the league. A coach reaches Belichick's stature, and he can buy his own groceries. Like Parcells did with the Jets after not being allowed to in NE. Rex isn't there quite yet.

Coughlin does not pick his own players. He's on a short leash between championships. Reese runs that show.

And I already explained the influence of Rex and Mangini in the Jets' drafts. You originally quoted it twice. It's Tannenbaum's incompetence. If Tannenbaum was a qualified GM, he wouldn't have to rely so heavily on green head coaches in personnel matters.

When Parcells goes on to run the show in Miami, was Luigi making the calls in the draft room? Was Mangini making the picks on the Browns working under Holmgren? No, those were front offices with football men in charge, making the calls on personnel. That's the job. Packers, Ravens, Steelers, etc., all run their personnel thru the GM, not the coach.

What you're calling a philosophy is just incompetence.

Belicheck had no stature when he went to the Pats. He was a retread. But the Pats were very much set up like this, just like how almost all teams are.

You are right on Coughlin not making the final decision though, that was my oversite.

You bring up Mangini - but Mangini was a different case. He wasn't hired by Holmgren. Why should we look to model after Cleveland anyway? Both Holmgren and Mangini had trouble there because their scouting departments are underfunded and suck. Mangini didn't have Tannenbaum and the Jets scouting department to help with the process. Thats why he didn't draft as well there.

I'm not familiar with the Miami situation. I don't know how that was structured at all. I know that not many have been able to succeed there period.

If you want to get a GM in here that runs everything then that is fine - but Rex still needs to go. He is too close to the players. My hesitation would be that Mangini did not draft as well after he left and that Tannenbaum has to have some sort of value to this organization given how well the team was built when Mangini was here.

Yes, I fully believe that their are a lot of coaches who could coach this talent better than Rex. Rex has lost the locker room, this is a sign of a bad coach, he doesn't bench players who suck, he acts like their best friend, etc. Case in point, were degrading with Rex and he needs to be gotten rid of. His coaching mentality won't work here with the Jets because we need to rebuild. We need a coach who is willing to bench problem players and install a lot of discipline into this team. Rex sorely lacks either of this.

Plus, no good GM is going to want to be tied to Rex, a good GM is going to want to clean house and bring their own guys in.

Belicheck had no stature when he went to the Pats. He was a retread. But the Pats were very much set up like this, just like how almost all teams are.

I don't remember who the Pats had in the front office when they first hired Belichick, but I do know that the Pats were eager enough to sign him that they gave a division rival a first round pick to get the deal done. Not your average retread.

But you're wrong on how most front offices work. A few teams have a HC in charge of everything, but the majority have a GM in charge of personnel matters. The best franchises typically have the strongest front offices. The Jets front office, conversely, is one of the weakest in the league.

I don't remember who the Pats had in the front office when they first hired Belichick, but I do know that the Pats were eager enough to sign him that they gave a division rival a first round pick to get the deal done. Not your average retread.

But you're wrong on how most front offices work. A few teams have a HC in charge of everything, but the majority have a GM in charge of personnel matters. The best franchises typically have the strongest front offices. The Jets front office, conversely, is one of the weakest in the league.

The only reason Tanny was promoted to GM and Badway stepped down was to implement the NE model, where Mangini acted as Belicheck and Tanny as Paoli.

Mangini was actually good as a talent picker/philosophy setter, just not a very good HC, but still better than Rex.

The problem was when Rex took over, they let him act as Belicheck and Mangini, he is terrible at it.

The mere fact that Rex said this is the most talented team he has had since he got here should tell u all u need to know,

The rest of humanity looked at this team as a very flawed team. If this was Tanny's team, Rex never would have said such a thing, and would have left Tanny out to die and lamed him for this crap season.

H can't do that because this is HIS team!

I don't pay attention to Rex's bravado. I started a thread about that.

That's fine, it still does not change the fact that everything i said is accurate, this is as much, if not more, Rex's team as it is Tanny's.

They both need to go.

And I am not convinced Rex gets another HC gig, at least not for a while.

And I am not convinced Rex gets another HC gig, at least not for a while.

Rex gets a HC job before Tanny works in the NFL again. If Rex wants, he'll have a DC job lined up before he clears out his office. Rex actually has a skill worth having on an NFL team.

Rex gets a HC job before Tanny works in the NFL again. If Rex wants, he'll have a DC job lined up before he clears out his office. Rex actually has a skill worth having on an NFL team.

Rex will get a DC job instantly, and may get another chance as a HC eventually.

He'll, even Chan Gailey got a second chance as a HC, not sure that means anything good about Rex however.

Re Tanny, who knows, I would think he will get a job in the NFl, definitely not as a GM, but he will work again.

Tey both suck in their current role.

Archived