" Time for Jets to think about 2013 " ~ ~ ~

kelly

Time for Jets to think about 2013

The 2012 season is over for the New York Jets. The New England Patriots made sure of it with a 49-19 blowout victory over New York on Thanksgiving night at MetLife Stadium.New York embarrassed itself with a comedy of errors, particularly during the 35 unanswered points by New England in the second quarter. The Jets dropped to 4-7 and their playoff chances are reduced to virtually zero.From this point forward, it's time for the Jets to start thinking about 2013. New York still has five games left, but this is the start of a lengthy self-evaluation process for next season.

Here are the questions New York should consider :

Who is the quarterback ?

It is clear that Mark Sanchez is not the long-term solution. Sanchez had four years to prove he is a franchise quarterback and is regressing. He is 12-15 as a starter the past two seasons.New York must figure out in these final five games if Sanchez deserves to be the starting quarterback for a fifth year in 2013.Popular backup Tim Tebow is on the roster, & Jets fans are calling for Tebow to get a shot.At 4-7,it may be wise for New York to see what it has in Tebow.But contractually for the long haul, the Jets may be stuck with Sanchez. He has a lot of guaranteed money next year with his recent contract extension. Going in a different direction would be horrific for New York’s salary cap and the bottom line.This is a difficult decision for the Jets because Sanchez is not getting better. He is an average quarterback, at best, who can only thrive when everything is going well around him. If Sanchez remains the starter, the Jets could go through many of the same issues on offense next year.

Who stays and who goes ?

Sanchez is contractually strapped to the Jets next season. But the Jets have several veteran free agents they can let go. Pending free agents like starting tailback Shonn Greene, tight end Dustin Keller and safeties LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell are all playing out the final five games of their contracts.New York does not have a lot of cap room next year. Therefore, the Jets have a lot of decisions to make on veterans and whether they will stick around after this season.The Jets are an older team that was built to win now. But they latched onto veterans too long and it's time to get younger and faster. A lot of players are auditioning for jobs in New York in the final month of the season.

Do Jets have the right GM and coach ?

Jets owner Woody Johnson said a week ago that he didn’t sign up for 3-6. Well, the boss certainly didn’t sign up for a 30-point loss at home to their biggest rival on national television.The Jets looked like the "Bad News Bears" at times Thursday, and that reflects on the coaching staff that prepared the team and the front office that put the team together. New York is a roster without much speed or depth, and that’s on general manager Mike Tannenbaum. The Jets also haven’t been well coached at times this year, and that’s on Rex Ryan.I believe Ryan and Tannenbaum deserve another year. But performances like Thursday in a big game make this pair hard to defend.Johnson will be watching closely how the Jets play in the final five games, and that could directly impact the future of New York’s head coach and general manager.It's going to be a long five games for the Jets. But this team has a lot more questions than answers, and this is the time to start searching for solutions.

> http://espn.go.com/b...hink-about-2013

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drive of the game : Sanchez INT

The situation : It was a scoreless game when the Jets took over at their 30-yard line with 10:05 remaining in the first quarter. This was 10 minutes before disaster struck. The Jets still had visions of an upset.

The outcome : Despite facing the league's 30th-ranked pass defense :wild: , the Jets were determined to run the ball :confused0082: against the Patriots. And they got off to a good start, rushing five times for 30 yards on this drive. It was power running, with Shonn Greene banging between the tackles. On second-and-6 from the Patriots' 23, coordinator Tony Sparano removed his tight ends and used a "20" personnel package -- two RBs, three WRs.Jeremy Kerley, in the right slot, ran an in-cut. Nickel back Kyle Arrington played a leverage that forced Kerley to the inside, likely part of an elaborate "trap." Sanchez probably thought the Patriots were in Cover-2, assuming backside S Steve Gregory was cheating toward Clyde Gates on the left. But Gregory recognized Kerley's route and came up to the middle of the field. Sanchez never saw him.

The impact :

Gregory, who had a monster game, made the interception at the Patriots' 15, killing the Jets' first and only legitimate scoring threat -- while the game still was competitive. It was the fifth time this season that Sanchez committed a turnover in scoring territory.

This time, it was a harbinger in a night that will live in infamy :blowup:

> http://espn.go.com/b...ame-sanchez-int

backside S Steve Gregory was cheating toward Clyde Gates on the left. But Gregory recognized Kerley's route and came up to the middle of the field. Sanchez never saw him.

The impact :

Gregory, who had a monster game, made the interception at the Patriots' 15, killing the Jets' first and only legitimate scoring threat -- while the game still was competitive. It was the fifth time this season that Sanchez committed a turnover in scoring territory.

gregory is a jets fan from staten island

yay

"He built a freakin' team around Brad Johnson, Woody. Whattya gonna do--throw seventeen million dollahs out on the street? Come on. I'm saaaaaaving you money here. 5 years, 8 per. He's probably worth ten, plus whatever he saves you by fixing Sanchez, PLUS Supah Bowls. My guy is a rock star. Rex? He's a white freakin' dwarf, Woody. White. Freakin. Dwarf."

~~The agent for Jon Gruden

Screen+shot+2012-05-j16+at+4.03.24+PM.png

I'm 34 years old and been thru this many times; and it never really worked but its time to clean house.

1) Immediately following Week 17 bring in a GM that has real experience. A football guy, an assistant GM or a Director of College Scouting.

2) Ask the new GM if he wants to bring in a new coach. If he does, Rex goes. And let's be honest, this team is several years away from being legit. Rex won't be here a few years from now - so why delay the inevitable.

3) Find a new QB. If there is one in Aprils draft, get him. If there isn't wait it out. But eventually you need to get lucky and have a top 3 pick to land a franchise QB or make a Redskins type move - trade the farm for a guy you identify as a franchise QB.

4) Understand that the 2013 season is going to be miserable. The team is old and has cap issues. We are kind of like the Lions of a few years ago.

5) Pray that Revis is recovered and trade him to the highest draft pick bidder before the trade deadline. Look, were losing him in free agency b/c we cant nor should pay a CB $15M per year. Take the best offer next October - whatever that may be.

5) Lock up Wilkerson sooner rather than later. He looks like the best young player on the team. Sign him to a team friendly deal now.

A Crack in Jets' Game Plan ( ~ ~ i think there's more than a few folks w/ the jets that have at least one crack in their HEAD ~ ~ )

With less than six minutes left before halftime of a game that Jets coach Rex Ryan would call "a nightmare," a chant went up from the few fans who hadn't yet made for the nearest MetLife MET +1.19% Stadium exit. The chant was a single repeated word—"Tebow"—and it began again later in the Jets' 49-19 loss to the Patriots, too. But Tim Tebow never took the field Thursday night, not on offense, not on special teams, not once.What those fans didn't know, and what Ryan himself didn't know until Tuesday, was that Tebow had fractured two ribs in the Jets' 28-7 loss in Seattle on Nov. 11. Though Tebow had been listed on the team's injury report as "questionable" for Thursday's game with a rib problem, he and Ryan didn't publicly reveal the full nature of the injury until after the game had ended, raising questions about whether the Jets had left themselves shorthanded in the most important game of their season.While keeping Tebow on their active roster against the Patriots, the Jets de-activated their third-string quarterback, Greg McElroy. Had starter Mark Sanchez left the game for any reason—and it looked like he might when he collided with teammate Brandon Moore in the second quarter—the only available replacement would have been Tebow, who had two broken ribs and has not run an offensive play as a conventional quarterback in the Jets' offense. (He has functioned instead as the team's "Wildcat" quarterback.")

Ryan said in a conference call Friday that he had considered activating McElroy for the game. But Tebow had practiced every day after the Seattle game, and because the Jets' medical officials had cleared him to play and he had told Ryan he wanted to play, Ryan elected to keep him on the active roster."If they thought he could be in serious jeopardy to himself and all that, then he never would have been activated. He never would have been cleared to play," Ryan said. "Mighty men play this game. And there are guys who play where some people wouldn't even think about stepping on the field. In this case…he could have played in that game. He absolutely 100% could have played in that game."Curiously, though, Ryan also said that he did not plan on playing Tebow against the Patriots unless he "absolutely had to," going so far as to tell offensive coordinator Tony Sparano and special-teams coach Mike Westhoff not to use Tebow without grave cause. Even Tebow himself told reporters early Friday morning that the broken ribs had been hampering his breathing and that he wanted to suit up "to be there for my teammates in case they needed me in an emergency situation."

In a sense, the Jets have kept Tebow encased in glass all season. He has participated in a mere 68 offensive plays for them, and his lack of playing time accounts for why the true severity of his injury went unnoticed for 10 days. He played 10 snaps against the Seahawks and, according to a timeline of events provided by the Jets, told the team's trainers after the game that his ribs were sore. X-rays of the ribs were negative, and he continued to practice daily.But he was on the field for just three snaps against the St. Louis Rams on Nov. 18, and by Tuesday morning the soreness in his ribs had intensified. An MRI and a CAT scan that night revealed the fractures.Tebow, who according to the Jets declined to receive a pain-killing injection Thursday, was unsure whether he had worsened the injury by practicing for a week following the Seattle game, and he didn't know whether he would miss subsequent games. The Jets don't play again until Dec. 2, when they host the Arizona Cardinals.

"I hope not," Tebow said. "I was ready to go [Thursday] if they needed me. Obviously, it was not ideal."

> http://online.wsj.co...SJ_topics_obama

Tim Tebow needs out of New York ( ~ ~ he's not the only one who needs OUT of new york... Seriously. )

Has any NFL player had it worse the past few weeks than Tim Tebow? The polarizing backup quarterback continues to be misused and abused by the New York Jets.First, Tebow was ripped anonymously by Jets teammates, including being called "terrible,” which caused a major controversy. Then, Tebow played the fewest snaps of the year (three) in a win over the St. Louis Rams. Now, Tebow has been diagnosed with two fractured ribs and still dressed for a Thanksgiving loss against the New England Patriots?

Why ?

Tebow should not have been in uniform with two broken ribs. Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who is as tough as they come, also has broken ribs and is sidelined for several games. Tebow should be taking the Roethlisberger route to rest a few weeks and get healthy. Dressing and not playing doesn’t make sense. It doesn’t help Tebow or the Jets.This is further evidence that Tebow needs to get out of New York ASAP if he wants to salvage his NFL career. Tebow came to New York with a lot of hype and a unique set of skills. Eleven games in, it’s clear the Jets have no idea what to do with him.In fact, the Jets have done everything possible -- poor coaching, poor decisions, backbiting players -- to derail Tebow’s career. All the momentum he built during last year’s playoff run with the Denver Broncos has come to a screeching halt.

Tebow deserves some blame for all that’s going on. He had the choice between the Jets and Jacksonville Jaguars this offseason, and Tebow picked New York.It was a poor choice by Tebow, who probably would be starting in Jacksonville right now instead of Chad Henne. But Tebow can right this wrong next year by requesting to be traded or released by the Jets. This would allow Tebow to find a team with a less toxic locker room and more innovative coaches to best utilize what he brings to the table.

> http://espn.go.com/b...out-of-new-york

The best thing this team could do for 2013, in terms of player personnel, is to do nothing in terms of veterans. We stand to accumulate a boatload of extra compensatory picks in 2014 if we don't piss them away on crappy 1-year patchwork FAs. No signing of other teams' UFAs unless they're truly special players who realistically figure to start here for at least 3-4 years.

Trade Revis while they still have him under contract and can still get something for him. Don't extend him, incredible as he is. Just a stupid, stupid amount of money for a CB even if he's the best I've ever seen (and he is). Nutty part about it is we wouldn't even get any cap relief if we manage to trade him. I would even say the same thing about Cromartie, though unlike Revis he would create some immediate space if dealt.

I would love a total gutting and in doing so you don't retain expensive players who have serious trade value, when they figure to be on the downside of their careers by the time the team is built up enough to be a serious SB contender. So while I love having Revis and Cromartie as starting CBs, I don't love them eating up over $20M/year off our caps in the years to come. Hell, Revis alone undoubtedly still wants at least $15M per (of new money) and we still have almost $10M of his current contract that hasn't hit our cap yet. Barring a miracle, including drafting a QB in 2013 who surprises the hell out of absolutely everyone and is RGIII/Luck awesome out of the gate, the earliest to figure that is 2015.

We could be looking at potential compensatory picks for anyone who gets a contract from someone else. Landry, Keller, DeVito, Slauson, and Moore. Re-sign Bell for another year. Doesn't cost any comp picks if you re-sign your own. I would like them to re-sign Landry but really have no idea what his demands would be, and my feeling on locking him up entirely depends upon that.

This team has zero chance in 2013. Zero. Overpaid stiffs, draft busts, cancers, underperformers, and dead cap space after cuts are going to gobble up some $60M of our cap space. With 7-8 starters becoming UFAs at the end of the season, no QB, and minimal cap room to replace any of these positions adequately, the best solution IMO is to not piss away the relatively clean slate we're going to get in 2014 to satisfy some false hopes this upcoming spring. Especially if it's done Tannenbaum-style where he backloads mega-deals to create some cap room in the first year of a new contract.

If that creates some extra space, then advance some of our big-money players' future money as roster bonuses in 2013 so they aren't such heavy hitters in 2014-2016. Ferguson and/or Mangold come to mind. Do NOT extend or in any way restructure the contracts of Harris, Sanchez, Holmes, or anyone else in an effort to lower their '13 cap numbers.

Would be great to be major FA players in 2014 with a boatload of draft picks. And if we then have "too many" 2014 draft picks then trade one or two of them for 2015 picks a round earlier.

Why are people being sympathetic to Tebow ?

The guy has been a frickin black cloud the moment he walked in the door. Just him being here has the jets even a bigger media circus then it already was.

He needs to be shown the door right after Tannebaum, Rex, and Bart. Sanchez would be on that list as well if it wasn't for the dumbass GM giving him a year extension. Same for Holmes.

The best thing this team could do for 2013, in terms of player personnel, is to do nothing in terms of veterans. We stand to accumulate a boatload of extra compensatory picks in 2014 if we don't piss them away on crappy 1-year patchwork FAs. No signing of other teams' UFAs unless they're truly special players who realistically figure to start here for at least 3-4 years.

Trade Revis while they still have him under contract and can still get something for him. Don't extend him, incredible as he is. Just a stupid, stupid amount of money for a CB even if he's the best I've ever seen (and he is). Nutty part about it is we wouldn't even get any cap relief if we manage to trade him. I would even say the same thing about Cromartie, though unlike Revis he would create some immediate space if dealt.

I would love a total gutting and in doing so you don't retain expensive players who have serious trade value, when they figure to be on the downside of their careers by the time the team is built up enough to be a serious SB contender. So while I love having Revis and Cromartie as starting CBs, I don't love them eating up over $20M/year off our caps in the years to come. Hell, Revis alone undoubtedly still wants at least $15M per (of new money) and we still have almost $10M of his current contract that hasn't hit our cap yet. Barring a miracle, including drafting a QB in 2013 who surprises the hell out of absolutely everyone and is RGIII/Luck awesome out of the gate, the earliest to figure that is 2015.

We could be looking at potential compensatory picks for anyone who gets a contract from someone else. Landry, Keller, DeVito, Slauson, and Moore. Re-sign Bell for another year. Doesn't cost any comp picks if you re-sign your own. I would like them to re-sign Landry but really have no idea what his demands would be, and my feeling on locking him up entirely depends upon that.

This team has zero chance in 2013. Zero. Overpaid stiffs, draft busts, cancers, underperformers, and dead cap space after cuts are going to gobble up some $60M of our cap space. With 7-8 starters becoming UFAs at the end of the season, no QB, and minimal cap room to replace any of these positions adequately, the best solution IMO is to not piss away the relatively clean slate we're going to get in 2014 to satisfy some false hopes this upcoming spring. Especially if it's done Tannenbaum-style where he backloads mega-deals to create some cap room in the first year of a new contract.

If that creates some extra space, then advance some of our big-money players' future money as roster bonuses in 2013 so they aren't such heavy hitters in 2014-2016. Ferguson and/or Mangold come to mind. Do NOT extend or in any way restructure the contracts of Harris, Sanchez, Holmes, or anyone else in an effort to lower their '13 cap numbers.

Would be great to be major FA players in 2014 with a boatload of draft picks. And if we then have "too many" 2014 draft picks then trade one or two of them for 2015 picks a round earlier.

All of this makes so much sense, but it's an impossible sell, and I'm confident that the Jets will do the exact opposite.

I'm 34 years old and been thru this many times; and it never really worked but its time to clean house.

1) Immediately following Week 17 bring in a GM that has real experience. A football guy, an assistant GM or a Director of College Scouting.

2) Ask the new GM if he wants to bring in a new coach. If he does, Rex goes. And let's be honest, this team is several years away from being legit. Rex won't be here a few years from now - so why delay the inevitable.

3) Find a new QB. If there is one in Aprils draft, get him. If there isn't wait it out. But eventually you need to get lucky and have a top 3 pick to land a franchise QB or make a Redskins type move - trade the farm for a guy you identify as a franchise QB.

4) Understand that the 2013 season is going to be miserable. The team is old and has cap issues. We are kind of like the Lions of a few years ago.

5) Pray that Revis is recovered and trade him to the highest draft pick bidder before the trade deadline. Look, were losing him in free agency b/c we cant nor should pay a CB $15M per year. Take the best offer next October - whatever that may be.

5) Lock up Wilkerson sooner rather than later. He looks like the best young player on the team. Sign him to a team friendly deal now.

If you cannot draft a QB, scour NFL rosters for a 32 that could be Rich Gannon, Kurt Warner or Vinny Testaverde. may be that guy doesn't exist. But they need to bring in 1 and may be 2 guys via trade or free agency or draft. And is Pete Carroll wants to dump Matt Flynn for Pick 6, take a hard look at that. And these decisions should not be made by Tannenbaum but by his predecessor,

Won't that essentially be the case anyway, when they announce Sanchez will be returning?

Nah.

They'll extend David Harris until he's 34 to lower his 2013 cap number and use that space to sign Freeney and Osi to be our pass rushers. Both will sign long-term deals with $30M+ guaranteed apiece, with low cap numbers in year 1 that will help blow up the influx of cap relief we were otherwise going to get in 2014 and beyond. They'll both still be good players in 2013 and the pre-season hype for how good they'll be will make it sound better than if we got both of them 6-8 years ago.

We'll also lower Revis' 2013 cap number by $1-2M by extending him a new contract that averages $17M/year. Revis will of course hold out 2 years into this new deal because even though his cap number will be $18M, his "base salary" will be only $8M and that will be too insulting for someone like him to play for.

Then they'll sign Dwayne Bowe for $14M/year with $42M guaranteed. He'll only put up about 800 yards with Sanchez throwing the rock, convincing his devout supporters that for (what will be) 5 years, we still haven't provided him with a real "true #1" receiver. But the seats will be filled because we Jets fans want to believe so badly we will ignore what is apparent to the rest of planet earth.

We still won't win anything, and it will keep us in cap hell for an extra 3 seasons, but it will help to bring the 2013 Jets from 4 wins to 8.

Nah.

They'll extend David Harris until he's 34 to lower his 2013 cap number and use that space to sign Freeney and Osi to be our pass rushers. Both will sign long-term deals with $30M+ guaranteed apiece, with low cap numbers in year 1 that will help blow up the influx of cap relief we were otherwise going to get in 2014 and beyond. They'll both still be good players in 2013 and the pre-season hype for how good they'll be will make it sound better than if we got both of them 6-8 years ago.

We'll also lower Revis' 2013 cap number by $1-2M by extending him a new contract that averages $17M/year. Revis will of course hold out 2 years into this new deal because even though his cap number will be $18M, his "base salary" will be only $8M and that will be too insulting for someone like him to play for.

Then they'll sign Dwayne Bowe for $14M/year with $42M guaranteed. He'll only put up about 800 yards with Sanchez throwing the rock, convincing his devout supporters that for (what will be) 5 years, we still haven't provided him with a real "true #1" receiver. But the seats will be filled because we Jets fans want to believe so badly we will ignore what is apparent to the rest of planet earth.

We still won't win anything, and it will keep us in cap hell for an extra 3 seasons, but it will help to bring the 2013 Jets from 4 wins to 8.

captain_buzzkill_png_poster-r4f5693eafa804027a7c5f0c8854d594f_wvw_400.jpg?bg=0xffffff

Nah.

paraphrase for sake of length "won't cut sanchez and......many horrible contract extensions and signings, which will non-lube anally penetrate us for a few more years...."

I have a feeling that this is more likely the course, unfortunately. The two biggest needs this team has had for as long as I can really remember; elite pass rusher and elite quarterback, which just so happens to be the two most important postions in the modern era of football. It doesn't look like we are going to get the latter this year, but the former is certainly achieveable. This is the best draft in recent memory for high-end pass-rushers and we are gauranteed to be in a spot to land at least one of Jones, Mingo, Moore, Montgomery or maybe even Ansah (favorites being Jones, More Mingo in that order... Ansah will get the JPP comparisons without a doubt). Interior line is also a strong part of this draft, but if we draft Chance Warmack with our first rounder I might shoot someone; while it's a big need, OG is not going to have the same impact that one of these pass rushers will. Especially considering they're replacing absolutely abysmal play from Thomas and Pace.

If we do land an OLB with our first rounder, I would be fine with targeting an interior lineman with our second if the value is there, but would also not be opposed to selecting a QB to sit for a year, like Bray, Wilson or maybe even Glennon. This could be in the 3rd or middle rounds, as hopefully Keller and some other guys sign bigger contracts elsewhere and we land some high compensatory picks.

If we are able to solidify a pass-rusher and interior lineman in this draft, it will help set us up quite well for 2014 when we can be major players. We'd have our entire dline set as well as two speedy linebackers in Davis and Mingo/Jones et. al and just need to start from there. This won't happen, but it's what I would like to happen.

I have a feeling that this is more likely the course, unfortunately. The two biggest needs this team has had for as long as I can really remember; elite pass rusher and elite quarterback, which just so happens to be the two most important postions in the modern era of football. It doesn't look like we are going to get the latter this year, but the former is certainly achieveable. This is the best draft in recent memory for high-end pass-rushers and we are gauranteed to be in a spot to land at least one of Jones, Mingo, Moore, Montgomery or maybe even Ansah (favorites being Jones, More Mingo in that order... Ansah will get the JPP comparisons without a doubt). Interior line is also a strong part of this draft, but if we draft Chance Warmack with our first rounder I might shoot someone; while it's a big need, OG is not going to have the same impact that one of these pass rushers will. Especially considering they're replacing absolutely abysmal play from Thomas and Pace.

If we do land an OLB with our first rounder, I would be fine with targeting an interior lineman with our second if the value is there, but would also not be opposed to selecting a QB to sit for a year, like Bray, Wilson or maybe even Glennon. This could be in the 3rd or middle rounds, as hopefully Keller and some other guys sign bigger contracts elsewhere and we land some high compensatory picks.

If we are able to solidify a pass-rusher and interior lineman in this draft, it will help set us up quite well for 2014 when we can be major players. We'd have our entire dline set as well as two speedy linebackers in Davis and Mingo/Jones et. al and just need to start from there. This won't happen, but it's what I would like to happen.

If Keller signs elsewhere in 2013 we wouldn't get a compensatory pick until 2014. And even that is subject to us not signing a UFA from someone else that would cancel it out.

If Keller signs elsewhere in 2013 we wouldn't get a compensatory pick until 2014. And even that is subject to us not signing a UFA from someone else that would cancel it out.

Ahh sh*t that's right, I forgot it was the following year. Well regardless, we actually have a plethora of medium to fairly high profile free agents, all of whom could and should get multi-year deals. If tanny/whatever GM is smart, they'll realize we don't have the cap space, won't make any stupid extensions and let those guys sign elsewhere as Keller, Landry, Bell, Greene, Devito??, Moore will definitely draw interest. I forget the rule, so correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't lose compensatory picks by resigning our own correct? So if we just focus on signing folk, malone and then one of the Bell and Landry, and maybe one of Slauson/Moore, we should be in very good situation for 2014. There's also guys like Hilliard, Schillens and the one of Slauson/Moore we didn't sign who could land a spot somewheres else.

I know it won't happen, but if whatever GM plays his cards right, this team could be built quite well over the next two years, with a lot of cap room to be major players coming into 2014.

I know it would probably be extremely frowned upon, but what about signing Vick to compete with sanchez as a backup? Give him a one year deal to prove himself, then let him walk in 2014 regardless. The FO gets to save face by making a camp competition, we don't hamstring ourselves by giving out any ridiculous contracts, he'd give us an additional pick possibly, while still providing us with chances to win games.

Ahh sh*t that's right, I forgot it was the following year. Well regardless, we actually have a plethora of medium to fairly high profile free agents, all of whom could and should get multi-year deals. If tanny/whatever GM is smart, they'll realize we don't have the cap space, won't make any stupid extensions and let those guys sign elsewhere as Keller, Landry, Bell, Greene, Devito??, Moore will definitely draw interest. I forget the rule, so correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't lose compensatory picks by resigning our own correct? So if we just focus on signing folk, malone and then one of the Bell and Landry, and maybe one of Slauson/Moore, we should be in very good situation for 2014. There's also guys like Hilliard, Schillens and the one of Slauson/Moore we didn't sign who could land a spot somewheres else.

I know it won't happen, but if whatever GM plays his cards right, this team could be built quite well over the next two years, with a lot of cap room to be major players coming into 2014.

I know it would probably be extremely frowned upon, but what about signing Vick to compete with sanchez as a backup? Give him a one year deal to prove himself, then let him walk in 2014 regardless. The FO gets to save face by making a camp competition, we don't hamstring ourselves by giving out any ridiculous contracts, he'd give us an additional pick possibly, while still providing us with chances to win games.

Some of them don't really matter, or don't matter much. If we re-sign Bell, then the most we're forgoing is a compensatory 7th because of the type of contract he's likely to garner from someone else. It's really nothing more than getting a first crack at someone who would have been UDFA.

If we re-sign Keller, then yes that one way of looking at it is we're passing on a pick at the bottom of round 4-5 in 2014. I don't expect him to fetch the value of a 3rd round comp pick, but you never know.

If we sign FAs who were cut by their former teams then it doesn't count. Unless it's someone special, this year I'd stay away from FAs whose contracts ran out with their former teams. Even crappy ones can cancel out a significant FA loss from the Jets.

Nah.

You're like the devil.

How many games did the Jets Blow this year? I bet if we had a better coach,same team,same QB, 7-4 at worst. It seems that it is hpoeless.

The problem is the jets look LIFELESS. That is coaching. When Rex was hired. He injected life into the Team. Where is it now. No one is responding!

Better coaching ,even with this group, we would at least be respectable!

How many games did the Jets Blow this year? I bet if we had a better coach,same team,same QB, 7-4 at worst. It seems that it is hpoeless.

The problem is the jets look LIFELESS. That is coaching. When Rex was hired. He injected life into the Team. Where is it now. No one is responding!

Better coaching ,even with this group, we would at least be respectable!

Which of the 4 games that were over at halftime would the Jets have won with a different coach?

A lot of heat is given to this guy pictured to the right. Mike Tannenbaum has come under fire lately, as the Jets season has begun to unravel. It’s understandable, you can make the argument that this roster has gotten progressively worse since the 2010 AFC Championship game. The roster lacks in talent, especially on the offensive side of the football, and the general manager is always going to come under fire for that. But, what if it isn’t Mike ?

Note: This is just speculation as I have no inside knowlege on this, just putting forth a potential theory.

Look at your core of Jets that were here when the Jets went to back to back championship games. Here are some names that come to mind: David Harris, Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold, D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Jerrico Cotchery, Brandon Moore, Braylon Edwards, Dustin Keller, Mark Sanchez, and Shonn Greene. There are more, but we will look at that handful of players. Other than Mark and Shonn, what do the rest of these players have in common? They were not brought here during the Tannenbaum/Ryan era. It takes a couple of years for a roster to turn over. So, to really be Rex Ryan’s roster, we had to wait and see what we had in 2011 and 2012.

So we look at the roster now, and what names do we see ?

Sanchez, Greene, Slauson, Hunter/Howard, Kyle Wilson, Joe McKnight, Mo Wilkerson, Kenrick Ellis, Clyde Gates, Konrad Reuland, Jason Smith, Vladimir Ducasse, and John Conner (for all of 2011 and some of 2012) just to name a few. Can we say that this roster is not exactly sparkling? You could make the argument that Mark Sanchez is being given the task of winning witha group of practice squad of teammates.

So, who do we blame ?

We can blame the general manager, which makes sense. With the title of general manager comes at least the implied responsibility of being in charge of personnel decisions. He would certainly be the first name you would think of. But, think about it another way. I think we can all agree that the quality of acquisitions changed, correct? The Jets were having great drafts, with guys like Revis, Mangold, ..etc, and bringing in players like Braylon Edwards, and Thomas Jones. Then, the player decisions went drastically south. The decisions on draftees have been curious, and other than LaDainian Tomlinson, wo was the last influential free agent the Jets have brought in. When a drastic change has occurred, you have to look at what changed. The general manager has not changed. Who has changed ?

The coach, that is what has changed. What if Rex has a bigger say in personnel than any of us have realized. Think about it. Nobody is a fan of Tanny, but let’s be logical. He’s the same guy that drafted Nick Mangold and Darrelle Revis. A lot of people think that Eric Mangini had more to do with those picks. OK, fine. Then, by extension, one can infer that Rex Ryan had more to do with bad personnel choices than we realize. Unless Mike Tannenbaum forgot how to look at football players, he’s the same guy. He didn’t forget what makes a good football player.What did change, is a voice in Mike’s ear, the voice of the head coach. Maybe it’s Rex that is making the bad decisions and influencing Mike.

Like I said, I don’t know this, it’s a theory. It could be.

> http://thejetpress.c...onnel-problems/

McElroy : Nothing personal

Rex Ryan preferred a banged-up Tim Tebow, with two fractured ribs, over a healthy Greg McElroy last week as his No. 2 quarterback.

McElroy's reaction ?

No problem.

"It's never anything personal," the Jets' third-string QB said Monday. "There's no need to speculate on any of that. Tim was feeling good enough to go and he's the backup quarterback, so my job on Thursday was to be those guys' eyes from the sideline."McElroy said he didn't take any practice reps last week(he played Tom Brady on the scout team),&he doesn't expect to get any reps this week as the Jets prepare for Sunday's home game against the Arizona Cardinals (4-7).On Monday, Ryan indicated that he expects Tebow to dress for the game. Of course, he dressed last Thursday night and never left the sideline, sparking a controversy. It'll be interesting to see if the Jets activate McElroy as an insurance QB.

INJURY UPDATE :

The Jets have wide-receiver issues this week. Neither Clyde Gates (concussion) nor Jeremy Kerley (heel, hamstring) participated in practice Monday -- at least not during the 30-minute period open to the media. Chaz Schilens (concussion) was on the field for the early portion.Gates is the biggest question mark. Kerley is likely to play and Schilens will be evaluated, according to Ryan, who said, "I'm not sure how significant his concussion was."The only healthy receivers are rookies Stephen Hill and Jordan White.

> http://espn.go.com/b...othing-personal

*If the 2013 Jets want to make money, they should give away all the tickets for free.**

*Condition 1: You have to pay face value if you do not go to the game.

**Condition 2: If you go and leave early, YOU PAY DOUBLE!

sounds like a plan ! ! :headbang: ....

i'll pm woody :winking0001:

Archived