" Time for Jets to think about 2013 " ~ ~ ~

kelly

How to rebuild the New York Jets

Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan may have to stick with Mark Sanchez next year, but here are other ways the Jets can improve on an abysmal season.From top to bottom, the
New York Jets
are a mess. The Jets
have quarterback issues
, an old and expensive roster and a
circus-like atmosphere
in the locker room.

New York has a gigantic cleanup project ahead in 2013. It won't be easy, but the AFC East blog is here to help.

Here are five steps the Jets should take in the offseason to turn things around :

1. Add a quarterback

Adding a quarterback will be the trickiest but most significant thing the Jets do this offseason. For starters, money is a huge issue.Although I'm in the minority, I expect
Mark Sanchez
to be with the Jets next year. His $8.25 million salary is guaranteed for 2013, and the prorated cap hit would be much larger if he's cut. The Jets are already significantly over the cap. As much as they may be ready to move on from Sanchez, it's smarter to save the cap hit and just keep him on the roster for another season.With Sanchez making franchise money next year, the Jets can't pay two quarterbacks the same amount. So forget about names like
Alex Smith
of the
San Francisco 49ers
. New York cannot afford to invest $16-$17 million into one position.

New York's best option would be to look for a cheaper veteran alternative. Personally, I like
Matt Moore
of the
Miami Dolphins
. He has starting experience and would take a cap-friendly contract for the opportunity to play. Moore is currently
Ryan Tannehill
's backup in Miami. Other veteran quaretrbacks like
Jason Campbell
Brady Quinn
and
Drew Stanton
are affordable options who can compete with Sanchez to be the starter.The Jets can take also draft a quarterback early and hope the rookie can play right away. The quarterback class is not strong next year and head coach Rex Ryan will enter 2013 on the hot seat. He cannot afford to wait another year or two for a rookie to develop. He needs to win now.

2. Fire or demote Mike Tannenbaum

The person most responsible for putting together New York's old and expensive roster should be reprimanded.

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum tried to keep this group veteran together too long. New York thought it could get to the Super Bowl after back-to-back AFC title games in the 2009 and 2010 seasons. Tannenbaum locked himself into some bad free-agent contracts with older players that are crushing the team's cap.In addition, Tannenbaum's drafts have been below average. You can start with back-to-back first-round picks of
Vernon Gholston
and Sanchez in 2008 and 2009, respectively. Both players were taken in the top six overall and the Jets whiffed. That held the franchise back. Other draft busts like
Vladimir Ducasse
also stand out.

Finally, Tannenbaum's giving Sanchez a five-year, $58.25 million contract extension in March was inexcusable. Sanchez had done nothing the year before to warrant a large extension, yet the Jets believed he was the long-term solution. It didn’t take long for Tannenbaum to regret that decision.Tannenbaum has his strengths and is a good presence within the Jets. He doesn't need to be fired, but he should no longer have final say on roster moves. The Jets need a new general manager to reshape this roster.

The Tim Tebow experiment has failed and it's time for the Jets to move on from the quarterback.

3. Trade or release Tim Tebow

It's clear the Jets' coaching staff doesn’t think much of Tebow as a quarterback. After benching Sanchez, New York passed over Tebow for third-stringer Greg McElroy. Why did Tannenbaum and the Jets ever think the Tebow experiment was a good idea ?

Very few people outside of the organization thought this would work. Tebow, for starters, is not a legitimate NFL quarterback. He's a gimmick player who can help by using his rushing ability.But Tebow brought the large following and media hype of a franchise quarterback. I remember attending training camp in August when Tebow got the loudest cheers. It immediately added unnecessary pressure to Sanchez and the team. The last thing the Jets needed was another circus, but that's exactly what they got with adding Tebow. It was a train wreck waiting to happen.

The good news is Tebow is much easier to move than Sanchez. The New York Daily News reports the Jets can release Tebow and take only a $1 million cap hit.It's best that Tebow and the Jets go their separate ways after just one year.

4. Get a new offensive coordinator

Tony Sparano is very likeable and a high-energy coach, but he's a mediocre offensive coordinator.

The Jets are ranked 30th in total offense, and the play calling has been mind-numbing. New York is a team without an offensive identity. After 14 games, the Jets still haven't figured out what they do best.Hiring Sparano in this role was a risky move from the start. He was a head coach in Miami and offensive line coach in Dallas. But the Jets hired him to call plays on offense. Sparano's Miami teams were never offensive powerhouses. There was no indication Sparano could turn the Jets' offense around. His quarterback development has been even worse, as both Sanchez and Tebow regressed on Sparano's watch.

The Jets need to hire a top-level offensive coordinator. Soon-to-be former head coaches like Norv Turner of the San Diego Chargers and Pat Shurmur of the Cleveland Browns should be available. The Jets need someone with a proven track record of developing quarterbacks and successfully calling plays next season.

5. Make cuts, rebuild through the draft

The Jets need to get younger and build through the draft. It starts by making some veteran cuts.New York can begin by releasing expensive veteran linebackers Calvin Pace and Bart Scott. Both are 32-years-old and making big salaries. Other players like offensive tackle Jason Smith and safety Eric Smith should come off the books, as well. That should provide sizable cap relief.

The Jets won't have a lot of money to spend in free agency, which is why the draft is so important.Using the draft to build up the offense should be the top priority. The Jets need better players at receiver, running back and tight end to help whoever becomes the starting quarterback. New York also could lose starting tight end Dustin Keller and tailback Shonn Greene, who are pending free agents, and need to fill those positions.

There is no easy way for the Jets to escape this mess. But if they follow these five steps this offseason, the Jets will be heading in the right direction.

> http://espn.go.com/b...e-new-york-jets

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Four possible destinations for Tim Tebow

The New York Jets laughably will attempt to trade former starting quarterback Mark Sanchez and his guaranteed $8.25 million salary for next season. That's not going to happen.But a more realistic possibility is the Jets shipping fellow backup quarterback Tim Tebow to another team.ESPNNew York.com's Rich Cimini reports the Jets will look to trade both quarterbacks. While Sanchez is overpriced and underproductive, Tebow could have some value on the trade market. He is a proven winner with an affordable contract. The Jets won't ask for much, perhaps just a low-round draft pick, to move away from Tebowmania.

What are some possible destinations for Tebow ?

The AFC East blog examines.

jac.gifJacksonville Jaguars

Analysis: The Jaguars were in a bidding war for the Jets last year for Tebow. He is a Jacksonville native and former star at the University of Florida in nearby Gainesville. Both teams offered the same compensation, and Tebow had his choice. He unwisely chose the Jets because they were a better team. But New York botched the Tebow experiment so bad that you wonder if Tebow regrets not joining his hometown team. Jacksonville may still be open-minded about getting Tebow a year later, especially at a cheaper price. Tebow could immediately boost ticket sales, which the Jaguars desperately need. Jacksonville also is in the market for a quarterback, and Tebow could compete for the job there.

Chances: Decent

nwe.gifNew England Patriots

Analysis: It's hard to imagine the Jets trading with their biggest rival. But if they want to get rid of Tebow bad enough, the Patriots may be willing to take him in. New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is the former head coach who drafted Tebow in Denver. The Patriots also met with Tebow during the pre-draft process and liked his character and work ethic. They also have a coaching staff creative enough to utilize Tebow's strengths. New England is notorious for taking downtrodden players when their values are its lowest. Sometimes it works out (Randy Moss, Corey Dillon, Aqib Talib) and sometimes it doesn't (Albert Haynesworth, Chad Johnson). But in all cases, the Patriots "bought low" and therefore have no problem cutting bait if necessary.

Chances: Average

gnb.gifGreen Bay Packers

Analysis: NFC North blogger Kevin Seifert explained that Green Bay spoke very highly of Tebow before the 2010 draft. This is an organization with a proven track record for developing quarterbacks, and perhaps Green Bay can make something out of Tebow. Pro Bowl quarterback Aaron Rodgers also needs a backup. The Packers lost Matt Flynn to free agency last year and currently has a shaky No. 2 quarterback in Graham Harrell. Tebow for a very cheap price could be a possibility. He is a better option behind Rodgers than Harrell.

Chances: Average

nor.gifNew Orleans Saints

Analysis: NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas brought up this intriguing, dark-horse possibility. Yasinskas pointed out that Sean Payton is returning from his year-long suspension and has the creative offensive mind to utilize Tebow, perhaps as a tailback, H-back or tight end. Tebow should be more open-minded about a position change after this year's debacle in New York. But this may be a long shot.

Chances: Remote

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/52722/four-possible-destinations-for-tim-tebow

Jets face $17.1 million cap hit if Sanchez leaves

Mark Sanchez would cost the New York Jets as much as $17.1 million if he's cut or traded, almost twice the price of keeping the benched quarterback as a backup next year.The Jets, out of contention for the National Football League playoffs, must decide what's next for Sanchez, the fifth pick in the 2009 draft, and backup Tim Tebow, who was passed over in favor of Greg McElroy to start this week against the San Diego Chargers.New York would face a $17.1 million salary cap hit if it cut Sanchez, who has made 50 turnovers in the last two seasons. A trade of Sanchez would still count $8.9 million toward the Jets' salary cap next season, and the team probably also would have to pay a sizable portion of the $8.25 million he's guaranteed in 2013, said Andrew Brandt, a former NFL executive and now an ESPN business analyst."They have to get a team willing to take on that money, which means a team willing to make him a starter," said Brandt, who negotiated player contracts and managed the Green Bay Packers' salary cap as a vice president from 1999 to 2008. "That may be difficult."The Jets reached the American Football Conference's championship game in their first two seasons with Sanchez, 26, and in March gave him a contract that guaranteed a combined $20.5 million during the 2012 and 2013 NFL seasons

Turnovers Soar

In the last two years, Sanchez has thrown 35 interceptions and lost 15 fumbles. This season, he's shouldered the brunt of criticism for the struggles of a Jets' offense that ranks 30th out of 32 teams in yards gained. Sanchez lost his job after four interceptions and a lost fumble in a 14-10 loss in Tennessee three days ago."They made a bet that he'd be their quarterback for two years," Brandt said in a telephone interview. "I understand why they did that deal last year. They locked Sanchez into three additional years for very little additional money. And we'll see if they hold to that bet, otherwise they have to pay him anyway or try to offload him."Sanchez said yesterday he was disappointed in the quarterback change, while acknowledging that he needs to cut down on turnovers. Sanchez said he hadn't had any discussions with the team about his future."I'm not going to get into hypotheticals of me being here, not being here, whatever," Sanchez told reporters. "We're focused on this week, we're ready to play San Diego. That's where my mind's at. So any question about, What's going to happen next year? Are you ever going to be a starter again?' I'm not even going to go there."

Both Gone ?

ESPN reported today that the Jets will explore all options with Sanchez, including a trade, citing unidentified people in the NFL familiar with the situation. The Jets also plan to part ways in the offseason with Tebow, the Walt Disney Co. unit said.

Acquired as Sanchez's backup in an offseason trade with the Denver Broncos, Tebow expressed frustration yesterday about his limited role in New York, where he's played only 70 offensive snaps. Tebow was also passed over when Jets coach Rex Ryan opted for McElroy, a second-year player from the University of Alabama who will be making his first NFL start."All you can ask is a chance to go out there and play the game you love and help this team win football games," Tebow told reporters. "I tried to make the most of every opportunity that I had. I would have loved to have more."

Tebow's Future

Tebow, 25, said he'd wait until after the season to address questions about whether he wants to stay with the Jets. Brandt said that decision may be made for him."It's kind of naive to think that the player decides where to go," said Brandt, who left the Packers just before quarterback Brett Favre was traded to the Jets in August 2008. "The team will hold his rights and figure out what's best for the team before it does anything."Brandt said the limited opportunity Tebow had with the Jets probably won't lessen his value. The Jets sent fourth- and sixth-round draft picks to the Broncos for Tebow and a seventh- round selection."He came out of Denver and I don't think anyone was interested in trading for him to be a starting quarterback, so I'm not sure how much this devalues him," Brandt said.Brandt said the potential for a player to be a distraction, on or off the field, is a factor when assembling an NFL roster. After leading Denver to the playoffs last season and generating international attention by espousing his Christian faith, Tebow's arrival in New York attracted a great deal of media coverage. Sanchez was asked about Tebow's presence throughout the season.

Starter First

"The Jets have bigger concerns than what to do with Tim Tebow," Brandt said. "If he's there, they have a nice option at backup quarterback; if he's not there, they have to figure out something else. But they have to figure out the starting quarterback much more than the backup quarterback."If Sanchez remains with the Jets and isn't the starter next season, he wouldn't be the NFL's only highly paid backup.The Seattle Seahawks signed Matt Flynn during the offseason to a three-year, $26 million contract that included $10 million in guaranteed money and then gave the starting job to rookie Russell Wilson, a third-round draft pick.The Jets' options may also be limited this offseason because of the quarterback talent available. While Wilson is among five rookie quarterbacks currently starting, the 2013 draft isn't deep at the position, ESPN analyst Todd McShay said. Brandt said the best veteran quarterbacks who may be available are a pair of former No. 1 picks who have lost their starting jobs: Alex Smith of the San Francisco 49ers and Michael Vick of the Philadelphia Eagles."Time can heal a lot," Brandt said. "You get into the offseason and get a month or two away from the season and realize what are the options beyond Sanchez and they don't look that great."

> http://www.mcall.com...0,6942029.story

Free agency approaching for Landry

LaRon Landry had no problem doubling down on his own talent and health last offseason by signing a one-year contract with the Jets."I wanted to solidify to everybody that the (Achilles tendon) injury was a fluke," Landry said Wednesday.

Through 14 games, it seems the safety's gamble will pay off. Landry has played well for the Jets and likely has earned himself a multi-year deal, be it from the Jets or another team. Landry said he would like to be back with the Jets, but wouldn't sign another one-year deal.

"Would I sign another one-year here? No. Not at all," Landry told reporters.

The Jets signed Landry on the cheap -- one year, $3.5 million -- because of injury problems that plagued him at the end of his tenure with the Redskins. After playing in all but one game the first three years of his career, Landry missed 15 games in 2010-11 with Achilles tendon issues. He strained the tendon in 2010, and the injury lingered. He also had groin issues last season.The injuries didn't keep teams away from Landry -- he said between four and six teams were interested in him last offseason. He ultimately signed a one-year deal with the Jets hoping to prove he could stay healthy. This season he has 93 tackles and four forced fumbles, while also picking off two passes.

"I'm not injury-prone, never been injured, and never missed a game since the Achilles happened," Landry said. "Throughout my whole college career up until my (third) year in the league, I never missed a game. Being injury-prone, that was bull. Just something that happened."While Landry has been a stabilizing presence in the Jets secondary, it may be hard for the team to re-sign him. The Jets already have big money invested in cornerbacks Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie, and Landry's contract does not allow the team to use its franchise tag on him. Other teams likely will be able to offer more money.Landry said his impending free agency is "mind-boggling" and stressful to a certain extent. He's only worrying about what he can control, and once the season is over he plans to head to Arizona and start working."This is what I do. I love it. I love the game with a passion," Landry said.

Although it appears Landry has won the bet he placed on himself earlier this year, the safety isn't ready to make that declaration just yet. Two more games stand in the way of him completing his first full season since his second year with the Redskins in 2008.

"You got two more games. I just want to finish," Landry said. "We'll see."

> http://espn.go.com/b...hing-for-landry

Last home game in green for DeVito ?

Mike DeVito will be a free agent at the end of this season and, after proving himself on the field this year, the defensive end could have options.If another team does manage to snap up DeVito, this Sunday's game against San Diego could be his last in hometown green.

ny_g_devito1_sy_200.jpg

"Definitely strange. I'm kind of looking at it like nothing's guaranteed," DeVito said. "I have two games left and I don't know what's going to happen next year. So I'm going to enjoy every minute I get a chance to be on this field, be with these guys and play in these last two games, because you just don't know." DeVito said he wants to stay in New York. His grandfather was a football coach in Rockland County, where DeVito was born. Although he moved north at a young age, he still has roots here."I'm a New York guy," DeVito said. "My family's over here, been here for six years. I love this organization, love the people here, so we'll see how it plays out." DeVito isn't the only defensive stalwart who could leave town. Linebacker Bart Scott said Thursday that he didn't want to discuss his future with the team yet. He stands to be paid $7 million next year, but at age 32 and with a case of turf toe that has hampered him all season, the team might not be willing to pay.

Linebacker Bryan Thomas, 33, who has also dealt with injuries this season, is another who likely won't return."This probably will be the last two weeks of this group playing together," Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said."It definitely would be interesting if everybody went their own ways," DeVito said. "We have been in this defense together for four years now. It's been so similar, which I think is strange for the NFL." So although there is certainly in not making the playoffs, the audition for the 2013 Jets is under way, and players like DeVito can't even be sure if the front office they negotiate with will be the same. "You just have no idea what's going on," DeVito said. "You see every year in the NFL so much turnover all the time, but you just don't know. So all I can handle is what I do in these last two games."

> http://espn.go.com/b...reen-for-devito

Ironman Moore ponders last home game

Brandon Moore has a hunch Sunday might be his last home game as a member of the Jets. He wants to focus on the Chargers, but the thought has crossed his mind.The veteran guard, the longest-tenured player on offense, will be a free agent.The Jets are headed for a tumultuous offseason,and there are no guarantees."We haven't had any conversations," Moore said, meaning with the front office. "There are a lot of things going on around here. If I go off what's happened so far, I probably won't be back."Asked if he wants to return to the Jets, Moore said, "This is all I know. It's home for me, but I'll definitely explore all options."Moore has had a remarkable career. He was an undrafted defensive lineman out of Illinois, made the switch to offense and caught on with the Jets in 2003. He was discovered by former OL coach Doug Marrone, the current Syracuse coach, who always told Moore that he'd outlast everybody and would carry the flag on the field when the new stadium opened in 2010. Marrone was right.

Moore has started 135 consecutive games, the most of any offensive lineman in the NFL. He's like an old pick-up truck, rugged and dependable. He made the Pro Bowl last season, a long-overdue honor.He has played for four line coaches, three head coaches and two general managers. During his time on the line, the Jets have made four playoff appearances -- 2004, 2006, 2009 and 2010. He was part of the fantastic line in '09, when it led the league in rushing and dominated at the line.

Teammate D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who has made 110 consecutive starts, praised Moore's professionalism -- a "pro's pro," he called him. He said Moore prepares, mentally and physically, as well as anybody he knows."His work on the field is a testament to what he's doing when nobody is watching," Ferguson said. "If people were to emulate what he did, I think the standard would rise."Moore said he'll be too focused on the game to engage in any special reflection."I'll enjoy running out of the tunnel like I always do," he said. "I always have moments where I say to myself, 'Where else would you rather be? You're living your dream and a lot of other people's dreams.' Those will be my thoughts."Fittingly, Moore was named Friday the Jets' Walter Payton Man of the Year. The Payton award recognizes excellence in community service. He's eligible to win the national Payton award, which will be presented at the Super Bowl.

> http://espn.go.com/b...-last-home-game

Add Pro Bowl to reasons Jets FS Landry won't come cheap

The safety position was a serious priority for the Jets last offseason, and they shored up the position with veteran additions Yerermiah Bell and LaRon Landry. Landry, specifically, has been very impressive, and injury-free. He is set to start all 16 games for the third time in his career, and first time since 2008.Landry, who has 95 tackles, seven pass defensed and a career-high four forced fumbles this season, earned a Pro Bowl nod, and keeping the safety for 2013 may not be easy, or cheap. Last week, Landry told the New York Daily News that he would not take a hometown discount. “I love this organization. I love them for giving me an opportunity,” he said. “But at the end of the day, I’m going to sit down with my agent and my family and make the best business decision.”

Landry’s 2012 salary is $3.5 million, and the expected franchise tag number for safeties, per NFL.com, is $6.798 million. Landry cannot be franchised because of a clause in his contract, but the franchise-tag figure may be in the range of what his asking price will be.One daily observer singled out Landry as a player the Jets would definitely want to keep among their impending free agents, which include starters Matt Slauson and Dustin Keller. One thing that may work in the Jets’ favor is Landry’s injury history, that could keep other teams from breaking the bank for him.

> http://www.profootba...dry-wont-come-c

Jets changes: Here are some possibilities

With only a few days left in a bitterly disappointing season, the New York Jets are bracing for changes.

This is what happens when a team misses the playoffs two years in a row, when a team loses 12 of its last 18 games.

Jobs are on the line.

Rex Ryan, who has two years and about $6 million remaining on his contract, appears safe. Owner Woody Johnson is fond of Ryan and apparently wants to give him another chance to right the franchise, which reached the cusp of the Super Bowl in 2009 and 2010.

ny_a_ryan_b1_300.jpg

Will Rex Ryan and Norv Turner join forces next season ?

Ryan's boss, general manager Mike Tannenbaum, isn't on solid ground. The Jets are exploring the possibility of hiring a GM who would agree to keep Ryan for at least one season, according to league sources. Obviously, that would limit the pool of candidates.

One possibility is Joey Clinkscales, the Oakland Raiders' director of player personnel. Obviously, Clinkscales is familiar with Ryan. He's a former longtime Jets scout who spent five seasons as the vice president of college scouting, leaving last May to join the Raiders' front office.The Jets tried to retain Clinkscales, but he opted to let his contract expire, becoming a free agent. It would be unusual, returning only eight months later, but perhaps the lure being the top football man in the organization would sway Clinkscales.Tannenbaum could be re-assigned to another job in the front office. It's unconventional, but the Jets have done this before. In 2006, Tannenbaum replaced Terry Bradway as the GM, with Bradway remaining in the personnel department.

The Jets are sending feelers around the league, researching potential GM candidates, a source said. Another name that popped up is Baltimore Ravens senior personnel assistant George Kokinis -- another person with past ties to Ryan, a former Ravens assistant. Kokinis also served as the Cleveland Browns' GM.“Ryan needs to just coach the players and let someone help him build a roster, not just a defense,” one league source said.Ryan also could be looking for an offensive coordinator to replace Tony Sparano, whose days appear numbered. At least two names are on the radar -- San Diego Chargers coach Norv Turner and former Ravens coordinator Cam Cameron, according to sources.

Turner, who beat Ryan last Sunday, is expected to be fired. During the run-up to last week's game, he told reporters he wants to stay in coaching and would be interested in coordinator positions. Cameron was fired recently by the Ravens; he and Ryan worked on the Baltimore staff in 2008.In one year under Sparano, the Jets have plummeted to 30th in total offense. The Tim Tebow debacle -- the failure to find a consistent role for him -- will go on Sparano's record. He also was undermined by injuries to starting wide receivers Santonio Holmes and Stephen Hill and tight end Dustin Keller.Sparano has declined to comment on his job security, but he believes the offense has potential in 2013 with a healthy cast."What I am as a coach ... is for somebody else to evaluate -- and, obviously, there are a lot of people evaluating me," he said, alluding to critics. "All that being said, I think when we had those pieces, which wasn't very long, I thought we were getting really close to where we needed to be."

In fact, the three players played only two quarters together -- in Week 1.Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine also has an uncertain future,with reports surfacing last week that he rejected a contract extension early in the season. He declined to discuss his contract, but he said he hopes to remain with the Jets.One coach who won't be back is special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff, 64, who is retiring after three decades in the NFL."I've been here 12 years, that's a long time,” Westhoff said. "It's time for me to go. Every coach has a shelf life. Sometimes change is a good thing."

Make no mistake, there will be a lot of changes around the Jets.

> http://espn.go.com/b...e-possibilities

Is Rex Ryan making a power play ?

nyj.gifManish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports Jets head coach Rex Ryan wants out if owner Woody Johnson doesn't do everything possible to improve the team. That specifically includes fixing the offense and quarterback situation, which has made it difficult for the defensive-minded Ryan to win in New York on a consistent basis.

If the report is correct, this would be the ultimate power play from Ryan. "Black Monday" is just three days away. Numerous head coaching jobs are about to become available around the NFL, so the timing of this news makes sense. This could be a message from Ryan's camp that the Jets better shape up and fix this mess, or Ryan can take his talents elsewhere. Despite Ryan's brash persona, he is a well-respected Xs and Os coach who would immediately become a top candidate if he is let go by the Jets (6-9).

Ryan knows better than anyone that New York's quarterback issues and salary-cap woes could make it tough to succeed next year. He's about to complete his second consecutive non-winning season in New York and will enter 2013 on the hot seat. There could be better situations out there for Ryan -- even among teams about to fire head coaches.But this appears to be nothing more than Ryan's camp letting off some steam. Ryan could very well be unhappy with the way things turned out this year. But he's not unhappy enough to walk away from the two years left on his contract. The Jets also are not expected to fire Ryan.

But it does seem pretty clear that Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum will be let go or reassigned. Ryan can only hope Tannenbaum's replacement can fix New York's immensely flawed roster.

> http://espn.go.com/b...ng-a-power-play

Potential GM candidates

Now that Mike Tannenbaum is out as the Jets' general manager, let's take a look at names likely on the team's radar. Woody Johnson announced that Rex Ryan will remain as coach, so a candidate who has ties to Ryan might help.

Jerry Angelo, former Bears GM -- A well-respected football man who built the Bears' 2006 Super Bowl team. He went 87-73 during an 11-year run as the Bears' GM. Spent last season out of football, looking to get back in.

David Caldwell, Falcons, director of player personnel -- A Bill Polian protege who spent a decade as a Colts scout. Has been linked to several potential openings. Has spent only one season in current role, working with highly regarded GM Thomas Dimitroff.

Joey Clinkscales, Raiders, director of player personnel -- Knows the ins and outs of the Jets organization, having served as vice president of college scouting from 2008 to 2012. Before that, he was a longtime scout for the Jets.

Scott Cohen, Jets, assistant GM -- The top in-house candidate. Has worked closely with Tannenbaum since 2008, mostly scouting in pro personnel. Previously worked for the Eagles.

Eric DeCosta, Ravens, assistant GM -- Has been linked to several GM openings in recent years, but signed a lucrative deal last January to remain with Ravens. Seen as Ozzie Newsome's heir apparent. Has a background with Ryan. [uPDATE -- You can scratch DeCosta off the list of potential GM candidates. The Ravens released a statement Monday afternoon, saying several teams have requested to speak with their assistant GM about GM openings. DeCosta said in the statement: "I love being a part of the Ravens and plan to stay here and help them win championships. I have no intentions of leaving this team."]

John Dorsey, Packers, director of football operations -- Has spent most of his career in Green Bay. Worked at the side of Ron Wolf, one of the best GMs in history. Worked his way up from a college scout.

Brian Gaine, Dolphins, assistant GM -- Considered a rising star in league circles. A native New Yorker, a former practice-squad TE for the Jets and a former Jets scout. Learned the business from Bill Parcells. Strong scouting background. Knows the AFC East.

Tom Gamble, 49ers, director of player personnel -- Has been linked to potential openings in Jacksonville and Cleveland. Served as Jets defensive assistant in 1995-96. Also spent time under Polian with the Colts. Solid résumé.

George Kokinis, Ravens, personnel assistant -- Familiar with Ryan from their days in Baltimore together. Has spent most of career with the Ravens, but served as the Browns' GM in 2009 before losing a power struggle to then-coach Eric Mangini.

Bill Polian, former Colts GM -- One of the most accomplished personnel men in history, having built Super Bowl teams in Buffalo and Indianapolis. Now works as an ESPN analyst. The question is, at age 70, does he want back in ?

> http://espn.go.com/b...l-gm-candidates

Archived