SouthernJet Reviews: 'Life of Pi' (5/5).. Buy the 3D ticket

SouthernJet

First off, BUY the 3D ticket in this case, I rarely do myself, but this is the best example of 3D usage I have seen in a long time.

It may be the most beautiful and visual film I've seen. The locales, the colors and textures are beyond description.

The story. Very tough to review without major spoilers which I wont do.

So basically it's a spiritual journey embodied in one boys experiences being shipwrecked and cast on the ocean alone with the company of a Tiger. Pi and his daily dealings on the ocean are threaded back by early scenes we see of his life in India. How Pi copes with survival and the things he must do to survive that are counter to his inner beliefs is where we travel in the film.

The ending is one that will have you and yours debating forever about 'what did it mean'.

I found the film engrossing, but more important Ang Lee's film is visually a masterpiece. This alone is worth price of admission. This is not a 'wait for DVD' flick. Run out and buy a 3D ticket and enjoy what film making is supposed to be. Trust me on this one, go 3D :)

MV5BNTg2OTY2ODg5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODM5MTYxOA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

I read the book several times back in '06, which of course put me in a seat for the opening night last week (SJ is quite right about seeing it in 3D.) It's an incredible story matched with incredible visuals. The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is the opening chapters, as in the book, a little slow with Pi exploring religions other than his own. Once he boards the Japanese freighter with his family and zoo animals, the movie explodes.

I wish I had a Richard Parker.

Suraj-Sharma-and-tiger-in-009.jpg

Just not a hungry one. Honestly folks this is a movie worth seeing.

First off, BUY the 3D ticket in this case, I rarely do myself, but this is the best example of 3D usage I have seen in a long time.

It may be the most beautiful and visual film I've seen. The locales, the colors and textures are beyond description.

The story. Very tough to review without major spoilers which I wont do.

So basically it's a spiritual journey embodied in one boys experiences being shipwrecked and cast on the ocean alone with the company of a Tiger. Pi and his daily dealings on the ocean are threaded back by early scenes we see of his life in India. How Pi copes with survival and the things he must do to survive that are counter to his inner beliefs is where we travel in the film.

The ending is one that will have you and yours debating forever about 'what did it mean'.

I found the film engrossing, but more important Ang Lee's film is visually a masterpiece. This alone is worth price of admission. This is not a 'wait for DVD' flick. Run out and buy a 3D ticket and enjoy what film making is supposed to be. Trust me on this one, go 3D :)

MV5BNTg2OTY2ODg5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODM5MTYxOA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Just bought tickets for 10:10 am Tomorrow. Excited

I remember the last time I watched a highly rated 'beautiful' movie and "nobody knew what it meant": Tree of Life.

Is life of Pi just an ethnic cgi-enhanced version of Tree of Life? That movie was a healthy heaping portion of poop casserole.

Lord no. I HATED Tree of Life.

But trust me, from a visual point of view Tree of Life was blah to me. Pi has CGI also, but Lee used all 3D cameras and the REAL scenes are just beautiful from a color/texture POV. Plus Pi has a freakin story, which I dont really think Tree did, LOL

Archived